The cream of tartar health benefits is numerous and remarkable. The benefits are simple yet highly effective. The cream of tartar health benefits are not merely restricted to cooking food alone but are beneficial for several ailments and common but major health issues. Read on to learn more about the miraculous cream of tartar and its health benefits.
What is the Cream of Tartar?
Scientifically referred to as potassium bitartrate or potassium hydrogen tartrate, the cream of tartar is extracted amid the process of brewing wine. Cream of tartar is mostly used in the process of baking and also finds application as a domestic cleaner much similar to baking soda.
The byproduct crystallizes out of the skin of grapes and even out of wine. In the culinary department, cream of tartar is used to stabilize whipped egg whites and cream. It is used to prevent the crystallization of sugar in baking.
Besides, the cream of tartar is vested with rich health benefits and can be used as a natural purgative. However, over-consumption of the cream of tartar is not recommended due to its high content of (1) potassium.
Cream of Tartar Nutrition Facts:
100 grams of cream of tartar contains
- Sodium-52 milligrams
- Carbohydrates-62 grams
- Potassium-16500 milligrams
Where to buy cream of tartar?
Cream of tartar is available in online medical stores or in local drug stores as over the counter supplements in the form of pills.
12 Incredible Cream Of Tartar Health Benefits:
There is numerous cream of tartar benefits. A few potent organic creams of tartar medicinal uses are elucidated below.
1. Cream of Tartar to Quit Smoking
It has been proven from experience that consumption of organic cream of tartar can help to get rid of the vile smoking habit(2). What is especially effective in the elimination of the injurious habit of smoking is a mixture of cream of tartar and orange juice.
When blended with freshly pressed orange juice, cream of tartar can make the taste of smoking seem unsavory and terribly unpleasant. This is what makes the smokers gradually give up on smoking and lead a healthy life. It is one of the most beneficial amongst the cream of tartar uses.
2. Cream of Tartar for UTI
The value of cream of tartar pH is estimated at about 3.557. When a patient suffers from infection in the urinary tract the pH value of his urine changes drastically.
When this patient is administered with small doses of cream of tartar, the pH value of his urine gets stabilized. This stabilization of pH value makes it hard for bacteria to thrive and spread the infection. Thus urinary tract infection can be cured with cream of tartar.
Blend cream of tartar with lemon juice and water for the perfect natural remedy of UTI.
- Take 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar and add it to a cup of lukewarm water.
- Add a few drops of fresh lemon juice to the mixture and stir well until everything gets thoroughly blended.
- Drink this mixture twice daily for the best results.
[Also Read: Essential Oils for UTI]
3. Cream of Tartar for Acne
Cream of tartar is known for its antibacterial and antioxidant properties. Acne is caused when the pores on your skin get clogged by oil and dirt. The effect of toxic free radicals also results in the surfacing of acne.
The cream of tartar detox properties helps in destroying the free radicals with the antioxidants present in it and keep the skin acne-free. The clogged pores become a breeding ground for germs and accumulate unhealthy fat that in turn ruin the facial appearance in the form of ugly acne and spots.
The anti-bacterial property of the organic cream of tartar helps to get rid of acne(3) and keeps the skin nourished. It also helps to fight against bacterial infection inflicted by daily exposure to pollution, oil, and dirt.
[Also Read: Home Remedies for Bacterial Infections]
4. Cream of Tartar for Arthritis
Cream of tartar is highly effective in the natural treatment of arthritis. Its antioxidant and analgesic properties blend in nicely with Epsom salts and give instant relief from the throbbing pain and swelling in the joints.
For the preparation of the Cream of tartar remedy for arthritis you need-
- 3 piece each of oranges, lemons, and grapefruits
- 50 grams of Epsom salts
- 50 grams cream of tartar
- 1 liter of water
- Peel the fruits and mash them
- Remove the sprays
- Blend the skin, peels, seeds, and pulp in a bowl
- Leave it to settle for the night
- In the next day, boil the water and add the Epsom salt and cream of tartar to the boiling water
- Wait until the salt and the cream get thoroughly dissolved
- Add the citrus fruits mixture to the water and refrigerate it for some time
- Take two tablespoons of this in the morning on an empty stomach daily for effective cure of arthritis.
5. Cream of Tartar for Kidney Stones
Passing out a kidney stone is one of the most excruciatingly painful experiences of life. Cream of tartar is an excellent cure for flushing out of kidney stones.
- Squeeze the juice out of 5-6 fresh and juicy lemons into a quart jar
- Add a heaped tablespoon of Epsom salt
- 3 tablespoons of cream of tartar into the quart jar with the lemon juice
- Mix this well and then fill the rest of the jar with lukewarm water
- Stir the contents until they get evenly dissolved
- Refrigerate the mixture
- Take this daily at night before going to bed until the quart gets finished up
- Your kidney stones will get effectively cured
6. Cream of Tartar Liver Flush
Cream of tartar is an excellent natural liver detox and blood cleanser.
- For the preparation of this recipe mix a teaspoon each of honey and organic cream of tartar thoroughly until you obtain an evenly suffused mixture.
- Take this mixture thrice a day for about three days for effective liver flushing.
[Also Read: Liver Detox- Merits and Demerits ]
7. Cream of Tartar for Weight Loss
The cream of tartar is often added to desserts and sugary products for more substance and enhanced texture. It makes the batter feel more soft and creamy; it makes the texture of cake frosting fluffier and richer.
This addition makes one feel full and prevents him from over-consumption of decadent delights. It helps to curb the sugar cravings but the most important reason behind shedding excess weight with cream of tartar is its diuretic nature and rich cream of tartar potassium content.
This mineral flushes out the excess water from the body. Cream of tartar aids in controlling candida, the yeast that is resisting that weight loss.
8. Cream of Tartar for Heartburn
Heartburn or acidity is caused by the oxidative damage of free radicals. The cream of tartar is packed with antioxidants can destroy free radicals and fight against oxidative stress and acid reflux.
Cream of tartar health benefits includes being an effective cure for heartburn through the neutralization of over secretion of gastric acids in the stomach.
For the preparation of cream of tartar antacid.
- Mix half a teaspoon each of organic cream of tartar and baking soda in a glass of lukewarm water.
- Stir well until the contents get evenly dissolved.
- Take a teaspoon of the solution whenever you feel a burning sensation rising up your throat.
9. Cream of tartar for the Natural Treatment of Bacterial Infection
Bacterial infection is associated with a wide range of diseases and ailments like inflammation, fever, nausea and more.
When affected with a bacterial infection, the body loses its natural alkalinity. The cream of tartar with its pH value can restore the body with its much-needed alkalinity.
- Take half a cup of lukewarm water and add to that half a teaspoon of cream of tartar.
- Stir well and drink it up.
- The solution helps to create an environment that is hostile to the bacteria and thus prevents the spread of infection.
10. Cream of Tartar for High Blood Pressure
High blood pressure is often a result of a deficiency of potassium. Scientifically termed as potassium hydrogen tartrate, cream of tartar is rich in potassium. This helps to balance the potassium content of the body and stabilizes the blood pressure.
- Mix a half a teaspoon of organic cream of tartar with a glass of lukewarm water.
- Drink this solution once a day on a daily basis for reduction of high blood pressure.
11. Cream of Tartar for the Natural Treatment of Edema
The disease called edema is characterized by swelling and redness of tissues caused due to the accumulation of excessively secreted fluid around the tissues. Edema is commonly known as dropsy and is known to affect different parts of the body.
It usually occurs due to reckless and improper habits of lifestyle and diets. Dehydration of the body and obstruction in the urinary tract may also cause edema.
One of the best remedies for edema is increasing the uptake of potassium. This can be effectively achieved through the consumption of organic cream of tartar. Cream of tartar can eliminate the excess fluids from the body thus reducing the swelling of tissues.
- Mix a half a teaspoon of organic cream of tartar with a glass of lukewarm water.
- Drink this solution once a day on a daily basis for the natural treatment of edema.
12. Cream of Tartar for Constipation
Cream of tartar is a natural laxative agent that helps to fight against constipation. It contains trace quantities of magnesium which helps to regulate bowel movement.
- Add 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar to a glass of lukewarm water
- Drink it daily before going to bed
- Your bowel movement will get stabilized overnight
[Also Read: Home Remedies for Constipation]
What are the side effects of cream of tartar?
A few side effects of cream of tartar are:
Hyperkalemia: This condition is characterized by an excessive level of potassium in the blood which is caused by consumption of cream of tartar.
Dehydration of the Body: Being a diuretic in nature cream of tartar flushes out fluids from the body and makes it dehydrated.
Diarrhea: Long-term use of cream of tartar accelerates bowel movement and causes diarrhea.
1. How much potassium is present in the cream of tartar?
Response: Cream of tartar is essentially composed of potassium bitartrate. It is extremely high in potassium content. A teaspoon of cream of tartar contains about 495 milligrams of potassium. 100 grams of cream of tartar contains 16500 milligrams of cream of tartar.
2. How long does cream of tartar last?
Response: Cream of tartar is known to last for an indefinite period when stored in air-tight jars away from heat and light.
3. How much cream of tartar should I use?
Response: For the culinary department, use the very small amount of cream of tartar in baking goods and preparing desserts. For the cream of tartar health benefits, a teaspoon or two of it is enough on a daily basis.
4. Can you drink cream of tartar?
Response: Drinking a solution of cream of tartar and warm water can detoxify your body, fight against acne and help you lead a healthy life.
5. Is cream of tartar and baking soda the same?
Response: While the cream of tartar is potassium bitartrate, baking soda is potassium bicarbonate. The two chemicals are almost similar, but the cream’s stabilizing power is more effective than baking soda when used in the process of baking. Baking soda is mixed with cream of tartar to form the baking powder.
6. Is cream of tartar good for high blood pressure?
Response: Cream of tartar is rich in potassium. This helps to balance the potassium content of the body and stabilizes the blood pressure.
7. What does cream of tartar do?
Response: Besides playing a significant role in cooking and baking, cream of tartar is rich in health benefits that make it highly beneficial as a natural remedy for a number of ailments.
8. What is the cream of tartar used for?
Response: Cream of tartar is not only used in cooking but is also essential for the cure of several ailments and common but major health issues.