The urinary tract is made up of organs which are involved in creating and carrying urine out of your body. These organs include the ureters and a pair of kidneys, a urethra and a bladder.
A urinary tract infection is thus, an infection of any or a combination of these organs. Women suffer from these infections in the urethra and bladder region, caused by Escherichia Coli (E. coli) or Staphylococcus(1) saprophyticus or anyother bacteria may also be responsible.
There are two types of Urinary Tract infection- Upper Urinary Tract Infections and Lower Urinary Tract Infections. Lower Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) is less severe than Upper UTIs; it can be treated with natural remedies. Upper UTIs requires medical supervision and thus cannot be cured by natural remedies of UTI home treatment. Lower UTIs, on the other hand, can be cured.
The indicators persist for just 2-3 days and may be caused due lack of drinking enough water, lack of personal hygiene and so on. Approximately, 150 million people across the world are diagnosed with Urinary Tract Infection every year.There are numerous home remedies for the bladder infection(2), but the question is how to get rid of a bladder infection?
The natural/homemade remedies for UTI that can help to cure it are-
1. Drinking Enough Water:
- People in their busy lives often forget drinking enough water; the first way to go if one develops UTI is drinking a lot of water.
- Drinking a lot of water increases the generation of urine, thus flushing out the bacteria during urination.
- Drinking 6-8 glasses every dayis needed.
- Clean drinking water should be used. Unclean drinking water will cause further problems, as unwanted bacteria may enter your body and cause many diseases including UTIs.
- Substantial drinking will also help in keeping your bladder clean.
- A clean bladder will result in lesser risk to Urinary tract infections.
- You can also spruce up this method by adding coconut or lemon juice which act as a cooler or is rich in Vitamin C(3), this again helps in fighting Urinary Tract Infection while refreshing you.
2. Emptying your Bladder Consistently:
- Holding when you have a need to pee, is also another reason for occurring UTI.
- Short trips to your bathroom are advisable rather than holding it
- Emptying your bladder after sex is also a good practice.
- This helps in keeping your bladder clean and also not allowing the bacteria in your urine to reproduce and grow.
- Toilet habits are essential, after sexual intercourse(4) or using the toilet one should properly clean oneself as a natural cure for UTI.
3. Keep a Safe Distance Away from Bladder Irritants:
- Too much intake of carbonated soft drinks, alcoholic and caffeinated beverages cause an increase in UTI.
- You should avoid these when you are suffering from UTI or may start showing symptoms of it.
- Cold drinks and alcoholic beverages are unhealthy, while caffeine is also an irritant, also including the likes of milk, yogurt(5) and other dairy products, therefore one should limit the intake of these.
- Spicy food is also a big No; too much intake of spice increases the burning sensation during urination and causes other digestion problems(6) like indigestion.
4. Apply Heat around your Abdomen:
- UTIs can cause aches and pain around your abdomen and pelvic region, which is also considered to be one of the more important UTI symptoms.
- Thus providing heat by using a heating layered pad will pacify the feeling and the symptom.
- Heating pads help in increasing the flow of blood thus providing more oxygen, proteins and nutrients to the problematic area of your body thus promotes healing.
- When heat is applied to the body part that is hurt, the sensation of pain is smoothed down.
- It also helps in stretching the soft tissues, allows the muscles to relax and increases flexibility.
5. Increase the Acidic Levels of Your Urine:
- Bacteria cannot survive in an acidic environment, thus one of the most effective ways to remove these bacteria from your system is by consuming more acid based food or medicine.
- Citrus fruits are the prime example of acid based edible food that will help you in creating an acidic environment such that the bacteria don’t survive.
- Citrus fruits possess high quantities of Vitamin C; this is important to create the acidic environment for the bacteria.
- Medicine containing Vitamin C can also be taken, but after consulting with your doctor.
6. Cranberry Juice Flushes Bacteria Out of Your System:
- Cranberry has phytochemical called tannin that reduces establishment of the bacteria coli in your vaginal region.
- It has high Vitamin C content and drinking it in its unsweetened form clears the bacteria out of your urinary tract system.
- As like Blueberry, cranberry has high Vitamin C content. It prevents the E. coli bacteria from residing in your bladder, thus during urination it gets flushed out.
- D-mannose is a type of sugar element found in cranberry that fights UTIs.
- D-mannose supplements can also be used as a substitute of cranberry juice, but not without medical supervision.
- Expecting mothers should also not take supplements or cranberry juice without medical supervisionto cure UTI while pregnant.
- Consult a doctor if on medication, before implementing these methods as cranberry juice(7) and blueberry juice can have its side effects.
As discussed earlier, D-mannose is a kind of sugar which is connected to glucose. It is on this list because it can stop certain bacteria from fixing to the walls of the urinary tract.
In a study by the World Journal of Urology in 2014, it was published that they wanted to test whether D-mannose could also solve recurring UTI cases and eventually prevent them.
In this study, 308 women participated, each had a history of recurring UTIs, and they were divided into 3 groups-
- One group received D-mannose powder mixed with water for 6 months.
- The second group got nitrofurantoin, which is an antibiotic, they took it every day.
- The third group didn’t receive any treatment at all.
- Generally, 98 patients still suffered from recurring UTIs among which 15 were from the D-mannose group, 21 from the group that was supplied the antibiotic and 62 from the group that had received no treatment.
- D-mannose had drastically risk of recurring UTIs; they were also subjected to lesser side-effects than the group who were supplied the antibiotics.
8. Dodge the Use of Spermicides:
In a forthcoming 1996 study that was published in the New England Journal of Medicine which indicated that amongst sexually active women, the occurrence of UTIs was predominant and the risk is clearly associated with recent sexual encounters in which condoms with spermicides(8) i.e. un-lubricated condoms were used.
- The use of spermicides can increase the growth of bacteria and irritation around your vagina.
- Use of un-lubricated condoms cause irritation, thus always go for lubricated condoms that do not contain spermicides
- Un-lubricated condoms are permitted only if they are accompanied by a lubricant.
- It not only helps in preventing displeasure, UTIs and other diseases but also increases the sensation of pleasure while engaged in a sexual act.
9. Increase your Body’s Natural Defense Mechanism with Probiotics:
- Lactobacilli are coated on the walls in the woman’s vaginal region thus preventing it from infection.
- This acts as a natural defense mechanism against the infection.
- This layer stops the E. coli bacteria from affecting the vaginal region thus keeping it bacteria and infection-free and dipping the likelihood of UTI.
- Taking probiotics increases the natural flora of the human body.
- Eating fermented food helps in maintain and strengthening the body’s natural flora, foods like kimchi, kefir, probiotic yogurt(9), kombucha, raw cheese, and sauerkraut to name a few.
10. Use Baking Soda to Decrease the Burn:
- The burning feeling that comes with the infection can be decreased by using baking soda for UTI.
- The high acidity of your urine causes the burning feeling thus baking soda being alkaline decrease and soothes the pain.
- Drinking one glass every day for a week should be enough.
- Mix one teaspoon of baking soda(10) in one glass filled with water and stir the mixture untill the baking soda completely dissolves, then if possible drink the whole solution in an unfilled stomach.
11. Clove oil, Myrrh oil, Oregano oil, Tea tree Oil:
These are the essential oils for UTI treatment.
- Clove oil is anti-microbial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral and acts as an anti-inflammatory. It can be used to remove pain and promote better healing.
- Myrrh oil is anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-parasitic. From ancient times it has been used to treat wounds and as an antiseptic.
- Myrrh oil can also be used in a cold or warm compress, or consumed within or can also be rubbed on the skin.
- Oregano oil has been tested to clinical in inhibiting the growth of many types of bacteria especially a certain E. coli.
- Oregano oil has anti-bacterial properties; it also prevents antibiotic-resistant strain creation. It even maybe superior to normal antibiotics because they have no side-effects.
- Oregano oil contains glucosides which help in controlling blood sugar which helps in preventing kidney failure. It also contains anti-oxidants that will protect your cells from free radical damage which also leads to different kinds of illness.
- Tea tree oil possesses anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that will kill the bacteria causing UTIs.
- Tea tree oil can only be used in a diluted manner; one can combine it with any kind of carrier oil like olive oil or coconut oil.
- Mixed with a carrier oil tea tree oil needs to be applied to the abdominal region and the bladder by a compress, repeat the process for 3 to 4 days for better results.
- You can also incorporate tea tree oil in your bath water.
The University of Maryland Medical Center has confirmed that urinary tract infections that are caused by E. coli or other bacteria can be cured by tea tree oil.
12. Parsley Water has a Cleansing Effect:
- An important part of parsley is Apigenin, it is a diuretic and is anti-inflammatory.
- The bacteria residing inside your bladder or urethra can be flushed out by these diuretics.
- Being anti-inflammatory it will relieve the infection and also aid your body to heal.
- Corn silk tea is also effective in fighting UTIs since it possesses the same properties as that of parsley.
13. Garlic-brewed Water:
- Garlic is anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and acts as an antioxidant(11) thus making it is the perfect ingredient for remedial methods for UTIs.
- Its immune-modulatory properties help in cystitis treatment.
- The remedy is simple, crush five to six cloves of garlic and immerse them into the water for five to ten minutes and then drink the solution all through the day.
- It also has anti-fungal properties that cure yeast infections which are caused by candida albicans
- It also strengthens the immune system of a person by the simulation of cytokines.
14. Eating More Water-based Fruits:
- Cucumber is the most wonderful product to battle UTI.
- Cucumber is water-based fruit with seeds that have diuretic properties.
- Being water-based it increases your water intake thus increasing urine production.
- This leads to excretion of bacteria from the urethra and bladder.
- Cucumber also decreases cramp pain and abdominal pain.
- Asparagus being similar to cucumber has diuretic properties.
- The root of the asparagus plant has diuretic properties along with being anti-bacterialand anti-inflammatory, these properties make asparagus an ideal item to heal your urinary tract system and kill bacteria.
15. Drinking Apple Cider:
- Drinking apple cider every morning on an empty stomach is effective.
- Apple cider is anti-bacterial thus helps in killing the bacteria.
- In case you don’t have apple cider, use vinegar as a substitute.
- Blend two tablespoons of vinegar with one glass of lukewarm water and then drink the solution every morning.
- There are many other benefits of using Apple cider vinegar which include successful weight loss, helping in decreasing cholesterol and blood pressure levels, steadying blood sugar levels, improving the health of your skin and easing acid reflux cases.
16. Ginger Tea:
- Ginger possesses anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties.
- They work against any bacterial growing strain.
- Chewing some pieces of ginger is good but consuming it infused with a liquid gives better results, it also effectively destroys the UTI.
- Crush and add two tablespoons of ginger in boiling water and simmer for ten minutes, then strain it, then drink two to three cups per day.
- Use honey to give it an improved taste.
- It also eases the burning sensation that comes with UTI.
17. Green Tea is the Healthiest Drink on the Planet:
- The component Catechin in green tea has anti-microbial properties.
- The tea has diuretic advantages that help in removing UTI bacteria from the urinary system.
- You can buy green tea from normal retail stores.
- To make green tea, you need to add it to lukewarm water, wait for a few minutes then strain and drink, it is that simple.
- Green tea also helps in fat burning. It is also filled with nutrients and antioxidants that can have a strong effect on your body.
- These include fat burning, improved brain function, lowering the risk of cancer to name a few. It has very few or negligible side effects.
18. Fight UTIs with Horseradish:
- Horseradish is anti-microbial that helps people suffering from UTI.
- It is made up of a component known as allylisothiocyanate.
- This component is repellant to many kinds of bacteria especially E. coli which is the main reason behind UTIs.
- Mix one tablespoon of horseradish(12) in a glass of water or apple cider, add honey to it to make it taste better.
- Drink this frequently to get better results. Fresh horseradish is important.
19. Drink a Solution Made of Uva Ursi Herb or Use as a Douche:
- UvaUrsi is aherb that fights UTIs.
- It is known as wild cranberry or bearberry acts as an antiseptic and possesses astringent properties which make it perfect to ward off Urinary Tract Infections.
- You can add it to your tea or you can work it on a douche to clean the urethra.
- Add fresh Uva Ursi to one glass of boiling water, simmer for five to ten minutes, strain and drink it or douche the urethra with it.
- Drink for not more than five days since it may be harmful to your liver.
20. Drink Tea Infused with the Buchu Herb:
- The herb buchu is known as bucco or bookoo, is an anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial with diuretic advantages that help your body cope with the infection and flush out the bacteria.
- Add two tablespoons of dried buchu to boiled water and let it infuse for 5 minutes.
- Strain and drink 1-2 cups per day.
- This herb has many medicinal properties but very few side effects.
21. Marshmallow Roots:
- The marshmallow we all know and love, the sweet, gooey ones are not the ones we are talking about here; here we are talking about marshmallow roots that have diuretic advantages thus making them treat kidney stones.
- Marshmallow roots have a gluey, thick consistency; it helps the passage of urine.
- Add freshly chopped marshmallow roots to one glass of water, boil it, simmer for five to ten minutes and then drink it.
- It also modifies the pH level of the urine and also clears the blood urine(13).
Does cranberry juice helps to cure UTI?
Urologists recommend cranberry juice as one of the home remedies for UTI. The ingredient present in the fruit prevents the E.Coli bacteria from sticking to the wall of the urinary bladder.
How long does it take for UTI treatment without antibiotics?
An UTI can be treated effectively at home without consuming any harmful antibiotics(14) by the natural remedies for UTI. It will not last any more than three to five days if the home remedies are administered with care.
How to get rid of an UTI fast in 24 hours?
To get rid of UTI in 24 hours the patient should try the above mentioned herbal remedies for UTI. They need to consume probiotics in abundance, take in oil of cod liver, consume D-mannose in powder form in every few hours, and drink cranberry juice along with plenty of water.