The urinary tract is made up of organs which are involved in creating and carrying urine out of your body. These organs include the ureters and a pair of kidneys, a urethra and a bladder.
A Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) is an infection of any or a combination of these organs. Women suffer from these infections in the urethra and bladder region. These are caused by Escherichia Coli (E. coli) or Staphylococcus saprophyticus. Any other bacteria may also be responsible for Urinary Tract Infections.
There are two types of Urinary Tract Infections
- Upper Urinary Tract and Lower Urinary Tract Infections.
- Lower Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) is less severe than Upper UTIs; it can be treated with natural remedies.
Upper UTIs require medical supervision and thus cannot be cured by natural remedies of UTI home treatment. Lower UTIs, on the other hand, can be cured through home remedies.
The indicators of UTI persist for just 2-3 days. They may be caused due to inadequate water intake, lack of personal hygiene and so on. Approximately, 150 million people across the world are diagnosed with a Urinary Tract Infection every year. There are numerous home remedies for the bladder or urinary track infection(1),But the question is how to get rid of a urinary track infection?
1. Drinking Enough Water:
Amidst busy lives, people often forget drinking enough water; the first step is to drink a lot of water. Drinking a lot of water increases urine generation. This flushes out the bacteria while passing urine.
- Drinking 6-8 glasses every day is mandatory, so drink lots.
- Have clean drinking water. Unclean drinking water will aggravate problems, As unwanted bacteria may enter your body and cause many more diseases, including UTIs.
- Substantial drinking will also help in keeping your bladder clean.
- With aclean bladder, you are less prone to Urinary tract infections.
You can also spruce up this method by adding coconut or lemon juice which act as a cooler or is rich in Vitamin C, this again helps in fighting Urinary Tract Infection while refreshing you.
2. Emptying your Bladder Consistently:
Holding yourself up when need to pee is also another reason UTI
- Take short trips to your bathroom rather than holding it up for long.
- Emptying your bladder after sexual intercourse is also a good practice.This discourages the harmful bacteria from reproducing.Toilet habits are essential. After sexual intercourse or using the toilet you should properly clean yourself for a natural cure from UTI.
3. Keep a Safe Distance Away from Bladder Irritants:
Too much intake of carbonated soft drinks, alcoholic and caffeinated beverages may cause an increase in UTI.
- void these if you are suffering or show symptoms of UTI.Cold drinks and alcoholic beverages are unhealthy. Other irritants calso an irritant, along with the likes of milk, yogurt and other dairy products. Therefore, one should limit the intake of these drinks.
- Spicy food is also a big ‘No’; too muchof spice intake increases burning sensations while passing urine and also causes indigestion.
4. Apply Heat around your Abdomen:
UTIs can cause aches and pain around your abdomen and pelvic region. This is also considered to be one of the more important UTI symptoms. Heat by using a heating layered pad on the infected area will lessen the irritation and the symptoms.
- Use heating pads. Heating pads help dilation of blood vessels and increases the blood flow. Application of heat to the soured area, helps in giving you a soothing relief from the pain.It also helps the soft tissues to stretch, allows the muscles to relax and increases flexibility.
5. Increase the Acidic Levels of Your Urine:
Bacteria cannot survive in an acidic environment. Thus, one of the most effective ways to remove bacteria from your system is to consume acid based food or medicine.
- Citrus fruits are a prime example of acid-based edible foods. They will help create an acidic environment not allowing the bacteria to survive.
- Citrus fruits possess high quantities of Vitamin C. Medicine containing Vitamin C can also be taken. It must be only consulting with your doctor. Consume Vitamin C tablets only after consultation with a doctor.
6. Using cranberry juice for urinary tract infection:
- Cranberry has phytochemical called tannin. It reduces establishment of the bacteria
coli in your vaginal region. Also, it has high Vitamin C content.
- Drink cranberry juice in its unsweetened form to clear the bacteria out of your urinary tract.
- As like Blueberry, cranberry has high Vitamin C content and helps flush out the bacteria while passing urine. It prevents the E. coli bacteria from residing in your bladder. D-mannose is a type of sugar element found in cranberry that helps fight UTIs. Use D-mannose supplements as a substitute of cranberry juice, but under medical supervision.
- Expecting mothers should not take supplements or cranberry juice without medical supervision.
- Consult a doctor if on medication, or before implementing these methods to avoid side-effects.
As discussed earlier, D-mannose is a kind of sugar which is connected to glucose. It is on this list because it can stop certain bacteria from fixing to the walls of the urinary tract.
In a study by the World Journal of Urology in 2014, it was published that they wanted to test whether D-mannose could also solve recurring UTI cases and eventually prevent them.
In this study, 308 women participated, each had a history of recurring UTIs, and they were divided into 3 groups-
- One group received D-mannose powder mixed with water for 6 months.
- The second group got nitrofurantoin, which is an antibiotic, they took it every day.
- The third group didn’t receive any treatment at all.
- Generally, 98 patients still suffered from recurring UTIs among which 15 were from the D-mannose group, 21 from the group that was supplied the antibiotic and 62 from the group that had received no treatment.
- D-mannose had drastically risk of recurring UTIs; they were also subjected to lesser side-effects than the group who were supplied the antibiotics.
8. Dodge the Use of Spermicides:
A 1996 study being published in the New England Journal of Medicine indicates that UTIs are predominant amongst sexually active women. The risk is clearly associated with recent sexual encounters in which condoms with spermicides(2) i.e. non-lubricated condoms were used.
- The use of spermicides can increase the growth of bacteria and cause irritation around your vagina.
- Use of non-lubricated condoms cause irritation. Hence, always use lubricated condoms that do not contain spermicides.
Un-lubricated condoms can be used only if accompanied by a lubricant. It not only helps in preventing displeasure, UTIs and other diseases. It also increases the sensation of pleasure during sexual course.sexual act.
9. Increasing Your Body’s Natural Defense Mechanism with Probiotics::
Use of probiotics can help ease Urinary Track Infections in many ways. Some of which are:
- Lactobacilli is a type of bacteria that is coated on the vaginal walls and prevents it from infections.acts as a natural defense mechanism against infections.
- This layer stops the E. coli bacteria from affecting the vaginal region, thus keeping it bacteria and infection-free and lessening the likelihood of UTI.
- Take probiotics to increase the natural flora of the human body.
- Eating fermented foods help to maintain and strengthen the body’s natural flora. Foods like kimchi, kefir, probiotic yogurt,kombucha, raw cheese and sauerkraut to name a few.,kombucha, raw cheese and sauerkraut to name a few.kombucha, raw cheese and sauerkraut to name a few.
10. Use Baking Soda to Decrease the Burn:Using Baking Soda to Decrease the BurnUsing Baking Soda to Decrease the Burn
The burning feeling in the urinary track is caused due to infections and can be decreased with the use of baking soda.
- The burning feeling in the urinary track is caused due to infections and can be decreased with the use of baking soda.
- (3) in one glass filled with water. Stir the mixture until the baking soda completely dissolves. Then, if possible drink the whole solution on an empty stomach..
11. Clove oil, Myrrh oil, Oregano oil, Tea tree Oil:
These are the essential oils for UTI treatment.
- Clove oil is anti-microbial, anti-fungal and anti-viral. It also acts as an anti-inflammatory. It can be used to remove pain and promote better healing.
- Myrrh oil is anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-parasitic. From ancient times it has been used to treat wounds and as an antiseptic.
- Myrrh oil can also be used in a cold or warm compress. It can be consumed within or can also be rubbed on the skin.
- Oregano oil has been tested to be clinical inhibiting the growth of many types of bacteria, especially a certain E. coli.
- Oregano oil has anti-bacterial properties. It also prevents antibiotic-resistant strain creation. It may even be superior to normal antibiotics because it has no side-effects.Oregano oil contains glucosides. They help in controlling blood sugar levels which helps in preventing kidney failure. It also contains anti-oxidants that protect your cells from free radical damage. This also leads to different kinds of illness.
- Tea tree oil possesses anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that will kill the UTI causing bacteria.
- Tea tree oil can only be used in a diluted manner; one can combine it with any kind of carrier oil like olive oil or coconut oil.
- Mixed with a carrier oil, tea tree oil needs to be applied to the abdominal region and the bladder by a compress. Repeat the process for 3 to 4 days for better results.
- You can also incorporate tea tree oil in your bath water.
- The University of Maryland Medical Center has confirmed that urinary tract infections that are caused by E. coli or other bacteria can be cured by tea tree oil.
12. Parsley Water has a Cleansing Effect:
An important part of parsley is Apigenin. It is a diuretic and is anti-inflammatory.
- The bacteria residing inside your bladder or urethra can be flushed out by these diuretics.
- Being anti-inflammatory, it will relieve the infection and also aid your body in healing.
- Corn silk tea is also effective in fighting UTIs since it possesses the same properties as that of parsley.
13. Garlic-brewed Water:
Garlic is anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and acts as an antioxidant. Thus making it a perfect ingredient for remedial methods for UTIs. Its immune-modulatory properties help in cystitis treatment.
- The remedy is simple. Crush five to six cloves of garlic and immerse them into water for five to ten minutes. Then drink the solution throughout the day.
- It also has anti-fungal properties that cure yeast infections which are caused by candida albicans.
- It also strengthens the immune system of a person by the simulation of cytokines.
14. Eating More Water-based Fruits:
Consume a lot of water-based fruits. A list of suggested fruits is mentioned below.
- Cucumber is a type of fruit that develops from the flower of cucumber plant. It is the most wonderful product to battle against UTI.
- Cucumber is water-based fruit with seeds that have diuretic properties.
- Being water-based, it increases your water intake thus increasing urine production.
- This leads to excretion of bacteria from the urethra and bladder.
- Cucumber also decreases cramp and abdominal pain.
- Asparagus being similar to cucumber has diuretic properties.
- The root of the asparagus plant has diuretic properties. Along with being anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory, these properties make asparagus an ideal item to heal your urinary tract system and kill bacteria.
15. Drinking Apple Cider:
Of all the other benefitsApple Cider provides, it also help fight Urinary Track Infections.
- Drinking apple cider every morning on an empty stomach is effective.
- Apple cider is anti-bacterial. Thus it helps in killing bacteria.
- In case you don’t have apple cider, use vinegar as a substitute.
- Blend two tablespoons of vinegar with one glass of lukewarm water. Then drink the solution every morning.
There are many other benefits of using Apple cider vinegar. These include successful weight loss, helping in decreasing cholesterol and blood pressure levels, steadying blood sugar levels, improving the health of your skin and easing acid reflux.
16. Consuming Ginger Tea for urinary tract infection:
- Ginger possesses anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties.
- They work against any bacterial growing strain.
- Chewing some pieces of ginger is good. But consuming it is infused with a liquid gives better results, it also effectively destroys the UTI.
- Crush and add two tablespoons of ginger in boiling water. Simmer for ten minutes, then strain it,
- rink two to three cups per day.
- Use honey to give it an improved taste.
- It also eases the burning sensation that comes with UTI
17. Having Green Tea
The component Catechin in green tea has anti-microbial properties.
- The tea has diuretic advantages. This helps in removing UTI bacteria from the urinary system.
- You can buy green tea from normal retail stores.
- To make green tea, you need to add it to lukewarm water. Wait for a few minutes. Then strain and drink. It is that simple!
- Green tea also helps in fat burning. It is filled with nutrients and antioxidants that can have a strong effect on your body.
- These include fat burning, improved brain function, lowering the risk of cancer to name a few. It has very few or negligible side effects.
18. Fight UTIs with Horseradish:
Horseradish is anti-microbial that helps people suffering from UTI.It is made up of a component known as allylisothiocyanate. This component is repellant to many kinds of bacteria, especially E. coli which is the main cause of UTIs.
- Mix one tablespoon of horseradish in a glass of water or apple cider. Add honey to it to make it taste better.
- Drink this frequently fort better results. Fresh horseradish is important
19. Drink a Solution Made of Uva Ursi Herb or Use as a Douche:
- Uva Ursi is a herb that helps fight UTIs.
- It is known as wild cranberry or bearberry. It acts as an antiseptic and possesses astringent properties which makes it perfect to ward off Urinary Tract Infections.
- You can add it to your tea or you can work it on a douche to clean the urethra.
- Add fresh Uva Ursi to one glass of boiling water. Simmer for five to ten minutes, strain and drink it or douche the urethra with it.
- Drink for not more than five days since it may prove harmful to your liver.
20. Drink Tea Infused with the Buchu Herb:
The herb buchu is known as bucco or bookoo. It is an anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial herb. It has diuretic advantages that help your body cope with the infection and help flush out the bacteria.
- Add two tablespoons of dried buchu to boiled water. Let it infuse for 5 minutes.
- Strain and drink 1-2 cups per day.
This herb has many medicinal properties as well as few side effects.
21. Marshmallow Roots:
The marshmallow we all know and love, the sweet, gooey ones are not the ones we are talking about. Here we are talking about marshmallow roots that have diuretic advantages. This makes them ideal to treat kidney stones.
- Marshmallow roots have a gluey, thick consistency; it helps in passing of urine.
- Add freshly chopped marshmallow roots to one glass of water. Boil it, simmer for five to ten minutes and then drink it.
- It also modifies the pH level of the urine and clears the blood urine.
Does cranberry juice helps to cure UTI?
Urologists recommend cranberry juice as one of the home remedies for UTI. The ingredient present in the fruit prevents the E.Coli bacteria from sticking to the wall of the urinary bladder.
How long does it take for UTI treatment without antibiotics?
An UTI can be treated effectively at home without consuming any harmful antibiotics by the natural remedies for UTI. It will not last any more than three to five days if the home remedies are administered with care.
How to get rid of an UTI fast in 24 hours?
To get rid of UTI in 24 hours the patient should try the above mentioned herbal remedies for UTI. They need to consume probiotics in abundance, take in oil of cod liver, consume D-mannose in powder form in every few hours, and drink cranberry juice along with plenty of water.