What is UTI?
Urinary Tract Infection or UTI is not so grave a disease to necessitate a treatment plan of epic proportions, but if left unchecked the infection can spread rapidly and impair the reproductive system completely(1). The use of essential oils for UTI is surprisingly effective and can cure the disease at an accelerated speed.
Types of Urinary Tract Infection
Infection in the urinary tract spreads across the urinary system that comprises the kidneys followed by the uterus, urinary bladder, and the urethra. The disease begins in the lower part of the tract and spreads upward. Women are mostly affected by the disease, and the chemical treatment consists of the administration of chemical antibiotics.
There are three main types of UTI classified by the symptoms and the region of infection.
1. Acute Pyelonephritis: This infection affects the kidneys. It occurs as high fever, pelvic pain, and nausea.
2. Cystitis: This infection affects the urinary bladder. Pelvic pressure, pain in the lower abdominal region, and painful bleeding during urination are some of its characteristics(2).
3. Urethritis: This infection affects the urethra. The primary characteristics include a burning sensation during urination and whitish discharge.
Recommended Read: Home Remedies For Nausea
Symptoms of Urinary Tract Infection
The different signs of UTI include-
- The constant urge of urination
- Burning sensation during urination
- Increased frequency of urination
- Dark coloration of urine
- Strong smell of urine
- Pain in the pelvic region
Causes of UTI
The most common causes of UTI are as follows-
- Unprotected sexual intercourse
- Infrequent bowel movement or constipation
- Uncontrolled spikes in blood sugar level
- Holding up of urine
- Prolonged dehydration
- Heavy use of birth control pills and devices
- Non-maintenance of hygiene in case of the use of tampons and pads
- Kidney stones and gallstones
Also Read: Home Remedies to Cure Kidney Stones
10 Remarkable Essential Oils for UTI Cure at Home
Extensive clinical research has proved that essential oils for UTI are one of the best and essential cures. The oils are antibacterial, and you can administer them for the inhibition of bacterial action and the treatment of UTI infection(3). So what essential oils are good for UTI? Here is a list of some of them.
- Coconut oil
- Oregano oil
- Tea tree oil
- Lemon oil
- CBD oil
- Clove oil
- Frankincense essential oil
- Myrrh essential oil
- Geranium essential oil
- Bergamot essential oil
10 Surprisingly Effective Essential Oils for UTI Pain and Infection Cure at Home
If you are suffering from UTI and seeking desperately for ways to suppress the infection symptoms, then check out the amazing essential oils for UTI elucidated below to cure the disease in no time.
1. Use of coconut oil for UTI
Coconut oil is an abundant source of medium-chained healthy fatty acids that are incredible in their anti-bacterial action. Its powerful anti-microbial properties can inhibit the growth and spread of infection(4). The healthy fats of coconut oil are potent antibiotics that can destroy bacteria and heal the disease entirely. It is one amongst the most beneficial essential oils for UTI. It is one of the safest oils to use for UTI during pregnancy.
How to use?
- Consume two tablespoons of pure coconut oil once on a daily basis
- Take it along with 3-5 glasses of water for the effective cure of bladder and kidney infection
2. How to use oregano oil for UTI?
Oregano essential oil is one of the most powerful of essential oils that have been in use since ancient times for the natural treatment of internal infections(5). Administration of oregano essential oil inhibits the action of bacteria like E.coli or P.aeruginosa and other pathogenic microbes. Oregano oil is incredibly antioxidant and anti-inflammatory in nature and is highly beneficial for the cure of yeast infection and urinary tract infection.
How to use?
- Take essential oregano oil in the form of capsules of recommended dosage to treat the infection completely
3. Treat UTI with tea tree oil
Tea tree essential oil is the mother of essential oils, and one can use it for the effective and quick relief of urinary tract infection. The wide variety of phytochemical compounds like terpinen-4-ol present in tea tree essential oil makes it a powerful antibacterial(6). The phytocompounds stimulate the protective activity of the WBCs that fortify the body against germs and foreign microbes and heal the infection completely.
How to use?
- Directly apply the tea tree oil on the inflamed and irritated area
- Massage for some time
- Rinse it off with warm water
4. Treat UTI with lemon oil
The citrus nature of lemon essential oil makes it highly beneficial for the complete cure of disease in the urinary tract. It helps in the alleviation of constipation, parasitic disease, hepatic problems and bacterial infection with its potent antibacterial and antifungal properties. Ingestion of a few drops of lemon essential oil helps in balancing the pH level of blood and maintains the pH level of the urinary tract which helps in curing UTI bladder infection in women.
How to use?
- You can ingest a few drops of the essential oil orally
- You can also topically apply the lemon essential oil in the vagina also helps to keep the lady parts clean and disinfected
Read More: Home Remedies for Bacterial Infections
5. How to use CBD oil for UTI?
Administration of CBD oil for the cure of infection in the urinary tract helps with the suppression of UTI symptoms like fever, vomiting, burning urine, nausea and more(7). The potent antimicrobial properties of CBD oil helps in the inhibition of bacterial action in the urinary tract, destroys fungus and yeast, cures ulcers, thrush, and other infections. CBD oil is rich in cannabinoids like cannabidiol and tetrahydrocannabinol that can effectively cure the disease in no time.
How to use?
- CBD oil is highly volatile hence always dilute it with any carrier oil before usage
- Add a concoction of the CBD oil and carrier oil in a diffuser at night
- Inhale the aroma of it
- You can also topically apply the oil on the affected area
6. Usage of clove oil to treat UTI
Extracted from cloves, the essential oil of cloves is highly beneficial for boosting the humeral immune system of the body. Ingestion of a few drops of clove essential oil helps in the warding off infection in the urinary tract. Its powerful antioxidant nature fights against disease caused by oxidative damage and is one of the best home remedies for healing UTI in adults completely.
How to use?
- Take a few drops of clove essential oil and put it in a diffuser
- Inhale the aroma of the essential oil directly as well for a soothing relief
- You can also add it in your bath water and take a warm bath
7. How to get rid of UTI with frankincense essential oil
Frankincense essential oil has been in use since ancient times for its medicinal properties and is one of the best ways to get rid of UTI pain and infection. Its potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant action cures skin psoriasis, dryness of vaginal parts, and infection in the urinary tract. Ingestion and topical application of frankincense essential oil are incredibly beneficial for the health of the urinary tract as compared to other essential oils for UTI.
How to use?
- Topically apply the frankincense oil on the inflamed and affected area to get a relief
- You can also add the oil to some amount of water and wash the surface
8. Treat the UTI efficiently with myrrh essential oil
Myrrh essential oil is excellent for the cure of ulcers, infection, and inflammation of urinary tract tissues. It is incredibly beneficial for the inhibition of bacterial, fungal, and viral infection. Its phytochemical content of beta-bisabolene is a potent agent of curing the disease.
How to use?
- Ingestion of myrrh oil capsules of recommended dosage can easily cure urinary tract infection symptoms in women
9. Geranium essential oil for UTI
An ancient Egyptian remedy, Geranium essential oil is used for the natural treatment of UTI pain and infection. Use it only in diluted form mixed with carrier oils like jojoba or coconut oil. The administration of geranium essential oil can cure the inflammation of tissues, balance the secretion of hormones and aid in the alleviation of anxiety as well.
How to use?
- Take 2-3 drops of geranium essential oil
- Dilute it with any carrier oil like coconut oil, jojoba oil, etc.
- You can topically apply the oil mixture to the affected area
- You can also put it in a diffuser and inhale its aroma
10. How to take bergamot essential oil for UTI?
The biochemical composition of Bergamot oil comprises geraniol acetate, myrcene, beta-bisabolene, geraniol, nerol, neryl acetate, linalool, linalyl acetate, alpha-terpineol, limonene, alpha-pinene, and alpha-bergapten. These compounds are incredibly beneficial for the natural treatment of UTI pain, infection, and inflammation(8).
How to use?
- Add 2-3 drops of bergamot essential oil to your warm bathing water
- Soak yourself for a little while for soothing relief from UTI
- You can also take it in the form of capsules within recommended dosage
Side Effects of Essential Oils for UTI
Some of the generic side effects and risks of ingestion and topical application of essential oils include-
- Enhancement of infection along with inflammation
- Degeneration or ailments related to digestive system
- The occurrence of inflammation, dermatitis or skin allergy, and rashes
- Food poisoning, flatulence, and bloating in the stomach
If you perceive any of these side effects, then quit using the essential oils immediately.
Precautions while using the Essential Oils for UTI
Always consult your doctor before deciding on which amongst the other essential oils for UTI to use. Store the bottle of the oils in a dark and cold place. Always take a patch test at the back of your hand to check your skin’s receptivity towards these oils. If you have a history of allergic reactions towards cosmetics and products, be very cautious before using these volatile oils on your skin surface.
Other Home Remedies of Urinary Tract Infection
- Drinking of cranberry juice and other fruit and vegetable juices on a daily basis
- Eating bananas and citrus fruits on a regular basis
- Drinking lots of water throughout the day
- Eating celery and cucumber
- Use warm compress for the alleviation of UTI pain
Essential oils for UTI are incredibly useful for health but if the pain of UTI persists and becomes unbearable then feel free to consult a physician. Howsoever, the use of essential oils helps a great deal to enhance the effect of the medication. They are a house of potent and effective home remedies.