Everyone across the globe desires to have a long, thick, healthy, and lustrous hair. From teenagers to old ones, everyone loves their hair because of the crucial role it plays in defining one’s style, looks, face, and their personality. With hectic lifestyles and pollution hair loss, hair fall, baldness, impaired growth are common hair issues that people face now. A study states that by the age of 35, 40% of men will experience noticeable hair loss and at the age of 40, women experience noticeable hair loss according to the American Academy of Dermatology.
Making the hair stronger and healthier is not an easy task. It requires daily nourishment with the best oils to make it stronger and healthier. But what if we say that olive oil gives impressive results and is the best for hair growth. Surprised? Don’t be and read ahead as we list some of the most beneficial DIY remedies of olive oil for hair growth.
A sneak peek on Olive oil for Hair Growth
Do you that olive oil(1) was popularly called “Liquid Gold” in ancient times? Olive oils are a liquid fat obtained from the fruit of Olea europaea that belongs to family Oleaceae. The olive oil is produced by pressing the whole olives of the traditional tree crop of the Mediterranean Basin.
Olive oil contains massive amounts of antioxidants and strong anti-inflammatory properties. It is enriched with monounsaturated fats and lowers blood sugar level. It’ll individually or in combination with other ingredients helps to have stronger and healthier hair growth.
Which type of olive oil for hair growth suits best and why?
Extra virgin olive oil contains an abundance of antioxidants and leaves the scalp healthier and may lower the damage caused by hair care products. Usage of extra virgin olive oil for hair growth can help you get thicker and long hair faster. This oil prevents fungus, dandruff, and other scalp issues that lead to flaky and dry skin. The oil conditions the scalp and hair and has been in use for centuries as a natural conditioner for hair and scalp. Now have a quick look at natural remedies of olive oil for hair growth.
The 5 benefits of olive oil for hair growth that will compel you to use it
- Olive oil is a powerhouse of anti-oxidants that help to reduce the oxidative damage that your hair goes through. It helps to keep the scalp and hair free from free radicals that cause cell damage and alters hair growth.
- Olive oil enhances the blood circulation in the scalp and also helps to lock nourishment in the hair shaft which in turn strengthens the roots of the hair.
- The omega three fatty acids present in olive oil maintains the thickness of the hair by deeply conditioning the roots and scalp. It enhances the strength of the hair that then break less.
- Dandruff, itching and clogged follicles are the primary reasons that stop the hair from growing well. The potent anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of olive oil work to avert the issues mentioned above and help your hair to attain the strength and shine that it always desires.
- DTH or dihydrotestosterone is the hormone that is responsible for the weakening of the hair follicles. A regular massage of olive oil keeps this hormone under control and promotes new hair growth.
4 Best Olive Oil DIYs for Lustrous Hair
Here are a few natural remedies of olive oil for hair growth that works wondrously to give stronger, thicker, and healthier hair. The olive oil benefits for hair can be enjoyed with the following 4 combinations of olive oil with other ingredients like
1. Olive oil with lemon juice, Onion, and Carrot
- One onion
- One carrot
- Three teaspoons of lemon juice
- Three teaspoons of olive oil
How to prepare?
- Cut the onion and carrot into tiny pieces and blend them using a blender
- Add lemon juice and olive oil to the mixture and mix them well
- Apply the hair mask all over the hair and leave it for 10-15 minutes
- Wash them off with a mild shampoo
- Do this once in a week for useful results
It is one of the effective natural remedies that is going to nourish and strengthen your hair. Onion is rich in antifungal and antibacterial properties. They help to restore lost nutrients to the scalp and are very good at hair follicle nourishment.
Lemon juice has natural bleaching properties, and the rich source of vitamins makes the hair healthy and long by strengthening the hair follicles. Also, the olive oil with the combination with carrot, onion, and lime juice reduces hair fall and provides necessary vitamins and other essential for better hair growth.
2. Olive oil and egg white
How to prepare?
- You need two teaspoons of olive oil and two egg(2) whites
- Take a bowl and combine the olive and white egg with the use of a blender
- Make it as a thick gel
- Start applying the mixture to the hair and scalp
- Leave the hair mask for about 20 minutes once you entirely cover your hair and scalp
- Wash your hair and scalp thoroughly with cold water and a mild sulfate-free shampoo after 20 minutes
- Do it 2-3 times a week for better hair growth
Benefits of olive oil and egg white
You all know that egg white is a rich source of proteins and vitamins. These high nutrients all play a significant role in hair growth and renewal. Egg whites are the most liquid portion of the egg that contains enzymes which keeps the bacteria at bay. With the presence of high protein content egg, whites immensely nourish your hair. Egg whites play a tremendous role in warding off dandruff. Also, egg whites reduce frizzy hair and make the hair less brittle. So olive oil and egg whites will be the best nourishment for your hair growth.
3. Olive oil and almond oil
How to prepare?
- Take a tablespoon of olive and almond oil
- In a bowl, add the oils and mix to obtain a smooth mixture
- Massage gently on your scalp and hair
- Apply the mixture to all the strands of hair and massage for about 15 minutes
- Leave the oil overnight or for an additional 30 minutes
- Rinse the hair and scalp with a mild sulfate-free shampoo
- Apply conditioner and make sure that conditioner does not touch your scalp
- Do it thrice a week for best results in hair growth
Almond Oil and Olive Oil benefits for hair:
Everybody knows that almond oil promotes hair growth. Besides, when you mix it with extra virgin olive oil, it wondrously promotes strong and healthier hair growth. Almond oil contains anti-inflammatory properties and rich in antioxidants with the presence of vitamin E(3).
The almond oil strengthens and nourishes your scalp and hair and is optimal for treating damaged hair and hair loss. Almond oil with olive oil help soothes aggravation and dandruff. Eventually, it helps reduce itching and irritation. The oil, in combination with olive oil, also helps dissolve excess oil and dirt, and soften the flakes, helps to unclog the hair follicles.
4.Olive oil with tea tree oil
How to prepare?
- Take a bowl and add the two tablespoons olive oil and ten drops of tea tree oil and stir the mixture well
- Gently massage the mixture into the scalp and hair thoroughly
- Massage your scalp for an additional 15 minutes once the hair and scalp gets entirely covered with oil
- Leave it overnight or rinse them off after 30 minutes of gentle massage with a mild sulfate-free shampoo
- Finish the remedy with a conditioner and make sure the conditioner does not touch your scalp
- Apply the mixture to your scallop and hair at least once a day for 3-4 weeks to see spectacular results.
Benefits of olive oil and tea tree oil
Have you ever heard that an essential oil like tea tree oil could promote hair growth? Yes, tea tree oil help to nourish your hair roots and unclog hair follicles that eventually promotes stronger and healthier hair growth. Tea tree oil highly contains antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and antibacterial properties. These properties work together to boost the hair growth by soothing your scalp. Tea tree oil with a base oil like olive oil is considered a refreshing treatment for healthy hair growth that unclogs follicles and relieves irritation.
[Read: Head Lice Treatment]
A word of caution:
- It is better to avoid olive oil for the individuals having oily skin due to its greasy and naturally sticky nature.
- Olive oil is loaded with fat and increases the chances of developing inflammation in your body.
- It can also sometimes cause skin rashes too as the result of uncontrolled sebum secretion.
- Olive can also cause severe allergies such as respiratory, eczema, and dermatitis allergies.
- Don’t apply olive oil hair mask while it is too hot and don’t burn your scalp.
Olive oil is not just wondrous for health but is also a boon for the hair even when applied externally. Its capacity to give your hair a new life entirely justifies its name to be liquid gold. The remedies provided above are straightforward and super effective and brings out the best that you can ever get out of the fantastic olive oil for hair growth.