Common cold is caused due to various type of viruses. It persists for about a week and is completely harmless for human bodies. The usual symptoms of a common cold are continuous sneezing, clogged nose, congestion, and runny nose. Fever or mildly high temperature is usually prevalent in children, and they require the attention of a physician.
Oregano Oil is a common remedy and has become quite a rage due to its antiviral, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. The flu or influenza is a more serious version of the common cold which affects the nose, throat, and lungs. It weakens the immune system and requires prescribed medication.
Using Oregano Oil for Cold has similar effects as using Peppermint oil for headaches. It soothes the body and helps to get instant relief. The flu cannot be treated by using oregano oil; it requires doctor’s prescription and advice.
Types of Cold causing viruses
Almost 200 types of viruses can be the cause of the common cold. Let us take a look at the most common ones:
Rhinovirus: The most common viral infectious agent that causes the infamous common cold, the rhinovirus causes a sore throat, infection in the sinuses and nose infections.
Coronavirus: This virus is responsible for the death of about 475 people in the Middle East. It is also responsible for the common cold and causes infections in the nose, upper throat, and sinuses.
RSV and parainfluenza: The Respiratory Syncytial Virus and the parainfluenza virus(1) are the prime culprits of causing the common cold in children aged below six years. The parainfluenza virus causes infection in both the upper and lower respiratory systems.
Causes of the Common Cold
The common cold might be troubling you at the moment due to one of the following reasons:
- The Human Parainfluenza Virus is the primary cause of the common cold in adults and children above the age of 6.
- Human metapneumovirus is also another cause.
- Coronaviruses adenovirus
- Human metapneumovirus is also another cause.
[ Read: Naturopathic Remedies for Cold ]
Accompaniments of Common Cold
The usual symptoms that accompany the common cold are:
- A cough
- Mild Fever
- Dry Throat
- A sore Throat
- A mild Headache
- Blocked Nose
- Reduced Appetite
- Pink Eye
Oregano Oil for Cold
Oregano Oil is one of the most significant natural remedies for the irritating common cold. Initially, a herb with a strong flavor, oregano is used in many delicacies for its pleasant smell and taste. It comes from the family of the mint, and its scientific name is Origanum vulgare(2). It is extracted from the dry leaves and shoots of the oregano plant. The oil is concentrated by steam distillation.
Oregano Oil is a natural antibiotic and can fight many bacteria. It also helps to lower cholesterol due to the presence of phenols like thymol and carvacrol. It is a powerful antioxidant that damages free radicals and protects the body, accordingly. Oregano Oil can also be used to treat yeast infections. It helps to improve gut health, helps to relieve pain and also aids weight loss.
Why is Oregano the Best Home Remedy for Cold?
Oregano oil has the properties of making your life cold-free. The oil contains compounds called phenols, terpenes and terpenoids, which have powerful antioxidant properties:
Thymol is a natural antifungal that supports the immune system and protects the body against toxins.
The most abundant phenol in Oregano oil, carvacrol can stop the growth of several different types of bacteria.
An essential constituent of Oregano Oil, it has powerful antioxidant properties that help to protect the body against damage caused by free radicals.
The above is the oregano oil health benefits. It is a natural antibiotic and can fight several bacteria. Oregano Oil has specific pain-relieving effects too and can efficiently prevent further infection due to its antiviral properties.
How to use Oregano Oil for Combating Cold?
Oregano Oil is commonly found in the market in the form of capsules and liquid in a bottle. It can be applied to the skin or consumed directly. The oil, however, must always be diluted. The following can be used for perfect use of the Oregano Oil:
- Make a massage oil using the ratio of 1:5 using Oregano Oil and olive oil to dilute it. Apply directly to the skin.
- For consumption in the form of a capsule, swallow the capsule with a cup of water (about 250 ml), gargle for a while and finally swallow the pill.
- Oregano Oil can also be kept under the tongue for proper absorption of the nutrients. To do this, mix equal parts of Olive Oil and Oregano Oil on a bowl. Place this mixture under the tongue, hold it for a few minutes and finally swallow using water.
- A few drops of oregano oil diffused in a bowl of hot water or the oil diffusing machine can do wonders for a cold.
Dos and Don’ts
Oregano oil is a reliable form of medication. If you are a beginner, it is better to start with small dosages and continue until you realize your holding capacity. If you are already under prescribed medication, it is better to consult a physician before using to relieve any symptoms.
When buying Oregano Oil or Oregano Oil capsules, a set of rules are also provided for harmless consumption of the product. It is always good to follow these instructions to use the product for a good reason. In the case of diarrhea, muscle fatigue, excessive swallowing, and other disturbing symptoms, you must immediately visit the doctor. These might be an allergic reaction to the strong Oregano oil.
- Always dilute oregano oil using a suitable carrier oil such as olive oil or coconut oil before application or consumption.
- There must be three weeks between the following uses of Oregano Oil for any purpose.
- Always use the recommended dosage.
- Consult your physician before using Oregano oil for any purpose.
- Check whether you are allergic to Oregano oil before using it because the harmful effects of Oregano oil include vomiting, diarrhea, muscle pain, headache and difficulty in swallowing food to name a few.
Other Home Remedies for Common Cold:
Although there no tested medications for the common cold, the following methods can provide temporary relief:
- Be Hydrated: The body becomes dehydrated while suffering from cold. Thus, it is essential to replenish bodily fluids externally.
- Drink Chicken Soup: Chicken Soup is probably the best way to relieve cold and its symptoms due to its warm and homely feeling. The neutrophils present in it help the body to fight any infection.
- Honey: Warm tea with a teaspoon of honey and a dash of lemon has the power to cure sore throat pain. It also reduces the severity of a cough.
- Ginger: One piece of ginger boiled in water can cure a sore throat or an impending cough. Ginger tea is the best remedy.
- Garlic: Endowed with the compound allicin, garlic can reduce the severity of cold symptoms. It also has specific microbial properties.
- Echinacea: Filled with flavonoids, this ingredient has been used from centuries to boost the immune system and reduce inflammation. It can reduce the risk of developing the common cold by almost 50%.
- Probiotics: The friendly bacteria and yeast usually found in yogurt and inside the human body helps to keep the immune system healthy and prevents further infections.
- Vitamin C: Usually found in citrus fruits like limes, lemons, oranges, mandarins, yuzus, etc., vitamin C can help to clear up the cold entirely and unblock your nose and help to breathe better.
This was all the required information about the benefits of using Oregano Oil for treating Cold. Using these remedies for at home will hopefully relieve you of the common cold as well as its accompaniments. If a cold is troubling you, it is wise to use oregano oil, but the dosage of the oil must be carefully monitored.
Along with the properties of curing a cold, oregano oil can be used for many reasons such as prevention of inflammation and trigger weight loss. It is a relatively new mode of treatment. You must ensure a physician’s careful supervision for the first few times you use the medication.