Everyone wishes to live a life without any limits or concerns, but those blemishes on your face or the discomfort in the genital area may stop you from living your life to the full. If you are experiencing such troubles, then probably you might be suffering from a yeast infection. The revelation might further raise your concern, but the good news is that you can effectively treat it and that too easily at home. Employ some ease home remedies for yeast infection and bid farewell to rashes, itchiness, and the associated discomfort.
What is a Yeast Infection?
Yeast is a micro-organism that is found everywhere around. Some yeast like Candida albicans lives on your body too. At times, the fungus which happily resides in the moist areas of your body like mouth, skin, and genitals, starts multiplying rapidly resulting in a yeast infection.
What causes a yeast infection?
An overgrowth of Candida albicans in a particular region results in a yeast infection. This imbalance may be caused due to
- Poor hygiene
- Excessive scrubbing
- Excessive sweating
- Harsh chemical products
Yeast Infection Symptoms
The symptoms of yeast infection are
- Soreness of skin
- White, flaky covering over skin
- Scaly skin
- Red patches on the skin
- Increased vaginal discharge in case of vaginal yeast infection
Natural Remedies for Yeast infection
Yeast infections are common, and people may experience it in some part of their body. You may suffer from a yeast infection anywhere on your skin. However, it mostly occurs in the genital area. While women are more prone to yeast infection, men also suffer from it. Here are some simple Natural remedies for yeast infection that can help treat it.
Foods that can help Eliminate Yeast Infection
1. How to cure Yeast infection with Garlic?
Garlic is a common kitchen ingredient with some miraculous properties. If you are suffering from yeast infection on the face, then try this fantastic remedy and get rid of the infection easily at home.
How to use?
- Take two to three fresh garlic cloves
- Crush them and add water to make a thick paste
- Apply the paste on the affected area
- Leave it for ten minutes and then rinse with water
- Repeat this remedy two times a day to see effective results
- To increase the effect, add garlic to your diet to fight the infection.
Benefits of Garlic
Garlic has strong antifungal properties which makes it a useful ingredient against yeast infection. If you are looking for how to get rid of a yeast infection naturally, then this is the best remedy that you can employ.
Also Read: Miraculous Health Benefits of Black Garlic
Garlic may irritate the skin, hence if you have sensitive skin, then rub a piece of garlic on your arm to know your skin’s sensitivity to it. If you are taking garlic orally, then you must not exceed four cloves a day.
2. How to treat yeast infection in women with yogurt?
Vaginal Yeast infection(2) is quite common. Studies show that eight out of ten women suffer from yeast infection troubles. If there is constant itching along with discomfort and increased discharge from your vagina, then you must try this yogurt remedy. It is helpful in treating the condition and also effectively reduces the yeast infection discharge.
How to use?
- Take a cotton tampon and dip it in yogurt
- After that insert the tampon in your vagina
- Leave it inside your vagina for at least one to two hours
- You can repeat this yogurt remedy after every few hours
- Also, include yogurt in your diet to fight the infection effectively
Benefits of yogurt
Yogurt is known to contain Lactobacillus, a good bacteria which can counter the rapid multiplication of yeast. Using yogurt externally as well as internally will maximize the effect and quicken the healing process. Application of yogurt will also help in reducing the inflammation caused due to yeast infection.
Make sure that you do not insert the tampon too far.
Foods to Eat
Your diet can significantly influence your vulnerability to such infections. A healthy diet not only helps fight such infections but can also prevent it. Add the following foods to your diet to improve your health and fight off the yeast infection.
- Green Leafy Vegetables
- Herbal tea
- Fish, eggs, and chicken
Foods to avoid
If you wish to prevent yeast infection on the skin, then avoid the following foods
- Whole milk dairy products
- White flour
- Grains with high gluten content
- Alcoholic drinks and other products fermented using yeast
- Foods with high sugar content
Herbal Treatments for getting rid of a Yeast Infection
1. How Green tea counts among the best home remedies for anal yeast infection?
The itching and discomfort due to yeast infection can make your world come to a halt. Looking for how to get rid of it. Try Green tea(3); it is one of the most effective home remedies for yeast infection.
How to use?
- Put a Green tea bag in a cup of hot water
- Let it steep for a few minutes
- Add a little honey or lemon to add flavor to the tea
- You should drink this tea at least three times a day to see results
- Put the tea bag in the refrigerator and then place it on the affected area for over ten to twelve minutes.
Benefits of Green Tea
Green tea is loaded with antioxidants that boost the immune system and help to fight the yeast infection. Drinking the tea on a regular basis helps in eliminating yeast from the body.
Male yeast infection can also be treated effectively by using the green tea remedy. Treat the Penis yeast infection by placing a green tea bag on the affected area. It helps in eliminating the fungus, soothes the skin and reduces the inflammation.
Your daily green tea intake should not be more than three to four cups a day. It has caffeine which may adversely affect your health in case of over-consumption.
2. How to get rid of a yeast infection rash with Aloe Vera?
From nourishing your hair to soothing your skin, and boosting your health, aloe vera finds numerous uses(4). It is one of the best home remedies for yeast infection. If you are suffering from constant itching and inflammation due to the imbalance of yeast in the area, then aloe vera is a must-try. You can cure the yeast infection under the breast with this fantastic remedy.
How to use?
- Cut a leaf from the aloe vera plant
- Squeeze out the fresh gel from the leaf
- Apply a thin layer of the extracted gel on the infected area
- Let it dry
- You can use this aloe vera gel remedy two to three times a day to clear the infection.
Benefits of Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is known for its soothing properties. Application of the gel on the infected area calms your skin and alleviates the irritation caused due to the infection. It reduces the inflammation, thus healing the yeast infection rash. Further, aloe vera is known to contain strong antiseptic properties that help fight the build-up of fungi in the area and inhibit its growth.
If you wish to get rid of the infection fast, then use freshly extracted aloe vera gel only. The store-gels may not give quick results.
Essential Oils for Yeast Infection Treatment
1. How is peppermint oil one of the best home remedies for yeast infection?
Essential oils have grown quite popular for their potent properties. These find numerous uses and are beneficial in treating various ailments. Thus, if you are looking for how to get rid of a yeast infection, then Essential Oils are worth a try. Among them, peppermint oil is one of the best natural remedies for treating oral yeast infection(5).
How to use?
- Add two to three drops of Peppermint essential oil in around 8 ounces of water
- Sip the solution and keep it in your mouth
- Thoroughly swish your mouth with the solution for a few minutes
- After that spit out the solution
- Then, rinse your mouth with clean water
- Repeat the process two times a day
- Alternatively, you can also consume peppermint oil capsules
Benefits of peppermint oil
Peppermint Oil is an excellent remedy for yeast infection in the mouth. Menthol present in the oil kills the fungi which cause the yeast infection. Thus you can quickly get rid of it naturally by using this remedy.
You must use only the diluted solution of peppermint oil to swish your mouth. Also, do not gulp the solution. If taking an oral dosage, then limit your intake to one to two capsules per day with one capsule containing 0.2 milliliters of the oil.
2. How to use Tea tree Essential Oil for curing yeast infection
Tea Tree Essential oil(6) is another excellent natural treatment for getting rid of a yeast infection. The yeast infection bumps on the vagina can be healed effectively by using the oil.
How to use?
- Mix two to three drops of tea tree essential oil in two tablespoons of honey
- Apply the mixture on the infected area by using a cotton ball
- Leave it overnight
- Wash the area with lukewarm water, the next morning
Alternatively for vaginal infection
- Add two to three drops of tea tree essential oil in one-third cup of warm water
- Soak a cotton tampon in the solution
- Insert the tampon in the vagina and leave overnight
- Repeat this for a few nights till the infection and its symptoms subside
Benefits of Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has strong antibacterial and antifungal properties which make it one of the best natural remedies for treating the infection. Continuous application of tea tree oil on the infected area kills the fungi that cause the yeast infection. Further, honey has soothing properties that ease the inflamed area and reduce the irritation. It also aids in quick healing of the region.
Tea tree oil can cause a sting if you have sensitive skin. Hence, do a skin patch test before using this remedy. Also, do not insert the tampon too far in the vagina and do not keep it too long inside.
Read More: Essential oils for Yeast Infection
Home remedies for Yeast Infection
1. How to treat yeast infection in a baby with apple cider vinegar?
Diapers may cause yeast infection in babies. You may see raised bumps around the anal region which cause much irritation to your kid. Apple cider vinegar(7) is one of the best remedies to treat these yeast infection bumps naturally.
How to use?
- Add some amount of apple cider vinegar in the warm bath of your baby
- Soak your baby in the apple cider vinegar bath for a few minutes
- After that, pat your baby dry and apply a moisturizer
- Mix apple cider vinegar in an organic diaper rash cream in the ratio 1:4
- Store the mixture in an air-tight container
- Apply this blend on the infected area, every time you change the diaper of your baby
- Before applying the mixture, thoroughly wash the area and pat it dry
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider vinegar has strong acidic and antifungal properties that kill the fungus which causes the infection.
Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic; it may affect your baby’s sensitive skin. Hence you must dilute it accordingly.
Other essential Oils for treating Yeast Infection
- Clove Essential Oil
- Lemon Essential Oil
- Thyme Essential Oil
- Rosemary Essential Oil
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Natural treatments for healing yeast infections
1. How to cure yeast Infection with Epsom Salt?
You must treat the yeast infection on the very first symptom of it to prevent the condition from worsening. Those looking for some easy remedy for how to get rid of a yeast infection fast must try Epsom salt bath.
How to use?
- Add to cups of Epsom salt in a bathtub filled with warm water
- Soak yourself in the bath for around ten to fifteen minutes
- You can repeat this activity two to three times a week to get the desired results
Benefits of Epsom Salt Bath
Epsom Salt contains magnesium sulfate which is known to kill the yeast that causes the infection. Thus, soaking in the bath will help you in getting the yeast infection on the skin.
Do not forget to moisturize your skin after the bath as Epsom salt can dry out your skin.
Other Remedies for Yeast Infection
Some other popular remedies for treating yeast infection are
Boric acid is another effective remedy for curing vaginal yeast infection. It is antiviral and antifungal which makes it effective against the infections caused due to microbes. Fill gelatin capsules with boric powder and insert it into your vagina every night. Repeat this for around fifteen nights to see results,
Place a clean cloth soaked in cold water on the infected area to ease the itchiness caused due to infection. It soothes the skin and prevents the urge of itching which can worsen the condition.
How to prevent a yeast infection?
Following are the ways that can help prevent yeast infection
- Wear cotton underwear that allows more air-flow in the genital area. Unlike nylon and polyester fabrics, cotton does not hold moisture which is one of the prime reasons for the growth of yeast in the region.
- Maintain proper hygiene to prevent the growth of fungi. Do not allow the build-up of fungus on your skin. Women should avoid douching as it kills the good bacteria present in the vagina and causes the yeast imbalance leading to infection.
- Use unscented products for genital care. Unscented soaps, tampons or pads, powders may irritate the skin and kill good bacteria, thus must be avoided.
- Switch to a healthy diet that strengthens your immunity. A healthy diet plays a vital role in keeping you hale and hearty. Eat fruits and vegetables that boost your immunity and fight the microbes that may cause infections.
Yeast infection vs. UTI: Know the difference
Yeast Infection and Urinary Tract infection, both affect your genital area but are two distinct conditions. To treat them effectively it is essential to identify them. Here are some points that can help you know the type of infection
- Yeast infection causes constant pain in the affected area while in case of Urinary Tract infection one will experience pain and burning sensation while urinating.
- UTI may cause you to urinate more while that is not the case with Yeast Infection.
- UTI may cause pain in the lower abdomen region, back, and the sides while yeast infection causes swelling in the genital area which is accompanied by pain.
These were some of the best home remedies for yeast infection. The itchy infection is indeed a reason to worry, but you can treat it effectively by using the treatments mentioned above.
These help in curing the yeast infection and prevent it from spreading further. The infection may occur on any part of your body; hence you must maintain proper hygiene and a healthy diet. Little changes can significantly help in preventing it.