Long, lustrous and shimmering hair is the most obvious sign of a healthy body. It is also one of the components that contribute to the beauty of the face. Just as your body needs proper nutrition to stay fit and healthy, your hair too needs proper nutrition. Do you know what is the life span of a strand of a hair? It ranges between 2 and 7 years based on its health. If you want your hair to stay on for the maximum span, you should nourish it and protect it from early fall.
Our hair is exposed to a lot of dust and dirt especially when we are out of the house or office. An array of factors like extensive sunlight and pollution damage the hair to a large extent. As damage to the hair is inevitable, we can at least make sure to minimize the effects of hair damage.
As we all know that dry and rough hair can be attributed to hair fall, this implies that oiling the hair and moisturizing the scalp is very important. Before we become acquainted with the ways of hair care, let’s try to learn the different causes and symptoms that lead to premature hair fall.
Types of Hair Problems:
Hair problems can be varied but they all have some really simple solutions that are both easily found and easy to use. Listed below are some hair problems that occur commonly:
- Dry Hair
- Split Ends
- Oily/Greasy Hair
- Frizzy Hair
- Dull Hair
- Heat Damaged Hair
Symptoms of Hair problems:
- General hair thinning, especially at the crown of the head
- Excessive shedding of hair, but not complete baldness, after various illnesses and drug treatments, rapid weight loss, anemia, or stress
Causes of Hair loss:
- Pattern Baldness (in men)
- Acute stress disorder
- Lack of nutrition
- Dry environment
- Skin problems like eczema
What is Flaxseed oil?
Flaxseed or linseed comes from an annual herb called flax plant. It is emerging as an important ingredient in health care because of the high volume of active compounds. Which are proven to be quite effective in a number of ways for our health. Also, Flaxseed oil is one of the richest sources of omega-3 fatty acids. Which makes it a perfect choice for hair growth and scalp health.
The lack of Omega-3 fatty acids can lead to a weakened scalp with can cause a major hindrance to hair growth and health. Flaxseed oil is also known for its anti-inflammatory properties and has been used in treating wounds and scrapes for a long time.
However, these properties can also soothe any irritation on the scalp caused by environmental factors like heat or pollution and create a healthy base for hair growth. Sometimes living in dry arid conditions or tying up the hair in different hairstyles can cause a lot of dehydration leaving the hair dry and frizzy.
One of the best ways to ensure that your hair gets the daily dose of moisture, a flaxseed spray can prove to be very effective. Another, little longer but effective treatment is to massage the oil directly on to the scalp and leaving it there for some time before rinsing it off.
Types of Flaxseed Oil
The extraction of the oil from flaxseed can be a tedious task, and it is advisable to buy the oil from a trusted source. There are two major types of flaxseed oils available in the market such as:
Organic Flaxseed oil: This is the best quality oil that you can get, since the production of the flax plant is done in a completely organic way. It helps in preserving the different natural elements of the oil without any fear of adulteration or of chemical exposure.
Cold pressed Flaxseed oil: The best way to extract any oil is to use the cold-pressed method. Where no heat is applied to the oil when it is being drawn from the seeds. Since Flaxseed oil contains unsaturated fats and many different types of proteins. It is always advisable to cold press the oil to preserve all the nutrient that would otherwise be lost on the application of heat.
Uses of Flax seed oil for hair:
There are various ways and reasons that can assure you that flaxseed oil will definitely help in hair thickness, growth and give you a healthy scalp. Flaxseed oil contains a lot of different active compounds that can assist in getting rid o fitchy scalp and dry hair. It is a great source of Vitamin E. It has antioxidant properties that are helpful in preventing hair and scalp damage.
When massaged directly on to the scalp, the Vitamin E from the Flaxseed oil can help in boosting blood circulation giving rise to healthy hair follicles, and also helps prevent premature greying of hair.
For people who suffer from an oily scalp, this oil is known to balance the pH and oil production by soothing the oil glands under our skin. As mentioned above, Flaxseed oil is also a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids which nourish the hair follicles as well as the hair shafts making any new hair growth, strong and healthy.
Consumption of Flaxseed oil, orally, is known to prevent acute hair loss, dandruff as well as control any outbursts of eczema. With so many different types of components,flax seed oil has numerous benefits for hair growth and strength.
How to use Flaxseed oil for hair growth:
Oral consumption and application are two broad ways to categorize, how to use flaxseed oil. In these categories, one can employ the following methods:
- Flaxseed oil Spritz: Taking one-part water and one part oil, and a few other things like vegetable glycerin and coconut oil, you can make an emulsion. Put this emulsion in a spray bottle. And then just spritz your hair with it. Every once in a while, during the day to make sure that your hair gets the daily requirement of moisture, without disturbing your hairstyle.
- Scalp treatment: One of the best ways to treat dry hair and unhealthy scalp, is to apply the oil directly to the scalp. Massage the oil on your head in the night and leave it until morning. Rinse off with a good shampoo and you will notice the difference in your hair texture within the first few applications.
- Flaxseed hair Mask: Using the flaxseed oil as a hair mask or a gel is becoming a trend. Mix the oil with a little bit of water and aloe vera and a whole lot of chia seeds and leave the mixture overnight. The chia seeds swell and give the whole mixture a gel-like appearance. Use a little bit every day to just style your hair and you will definitely notice the difference.
- Flaxseed oil for dead ends: Take a tiny amount of flaxseed oil and rub it on the dry and brittle ends of your hair using your hands. This method alleviates the dryness of the hair. One way to enhance the moisturizing effect of this oil is to use a small amount of water to wet the hair before applying the oil. Use water only on the hair ends.
Flaxseed oil side effects, safety tips, and precautions:
Flaxseed oil is deemed safe for most adults for consumption as well as an application when used in sufficiently small amounts. Long-term use of this oil, when taken internally and in large quantities can lead to diarrhea. So always consult a health care specialist before you start taking Flaxseed oil Pills. When using it on the skin, it is advisable to use the oil on a test patch of your skin. Make sure that there are no allergic reactions on your skin due to the oil before applying it to the scalp.
Other homemade recipes for hair:
- Take a ripe avocado and mash it. Mix in one whole egg and whisk the mixture well. Apply the resulting paste to your hair and scalp for 20 minutes and rinse it off thoroughly with a good quality shampoo. Avocado is rich in Vitamins and while the essential nutrients in the egg help restore the natural beauty of your hair.
- Another surprising option is to rub butter on to the dry scalp and brittle hair. Put on a shower cap for about 30 minutes and then rinse all the butter out with shampoo. This method can give you glossy black hair within the first few applications.
- Use a quart of unsweetened, freshly brewed black tea to rinse your hair after you a redone with shampoo.
There are many different causes for hair problems. Most of these are causes are external and can be easily treated with simple home remedies. It is important for everyone to keep a close eye on the amount of hair fall. (or) The quality of their hair, in order to repair the hair problems quickly.
With this article about Flaxseed oil for hair, we have listed some ways in which one can deal with dry hair and irritated scalp problems. Always remember to consult a health care expert, if you are starting a new treatment of any kind.