Ever felt sick while travelling in a car or on a ship? Did the feeling of sickness make you vomit relentlessly till you get off the vehicle? This is called nausea. It is especially common in pregnant women in whom the disease manifests as early morning sickness.
The medicines that are available in local drug stores may take care of the vomiting but with a host of negative side-effects like a headache, drowsiness etc.
Refrain yourself from popping in harmful chemical pills and get rid of nausea by following one of the natural home remedies for nausea elucidated below.
Home Remedies For Nausea :
The pungent odour of ginger helps to eliminate the feeling of nausea. It is one of the most effective pregnancy nausea home remedies. However, if you are on blood thinning medication or are a patient of blood pressure then it is advisable to avoid ginger for nausea.
- Crush a ginger into tiny pieces and add them to a bowl of water.
- Boil this for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Strain out this ginger-water mixture to a cup and add a tablespoon each of honey and lemon juice.
- Drink this to drive away the feeling of nausea.
Peppermint is extensively used to treat nausea naturally through aromatherapy.
- Soak a clean cloth in peppermint oil(1) and hold it to your nose.
- The smell of it can drive out the symptoms of nausea.
- You can even have a cup of peppermint tea for nausea.
A slice of fresh lemon is all that you need to cure nauseous feelings.
- Soak a clean cloth in lemon oil and hold it to your nose.
- Scratch the lemon and take in its essence or you can just sniff at a freshly sliced juicy lemon for five minutes straight.
- The smell of citric acid can even cure nausea induced by pregnancy.
Wondering how to cure nausea with spices? Well, certain spices are highly recommended to treat nausea and alleviate its severity and frequency, like fennel, cinnamon, cumin etc.
Fennel: Powdered fennel works on nausea like magic.
- Pop a fennel lozenge if you start feeling nauseous while sitting in a car.
- Fennel can also be used as an essential oil amongst other essential oils for nausea.
- Soak a corner of your handkerchief with a few drops of fennel oil and inhale the aroma to get rid of nausea.
- Take a cup of green tea brewed with a teaspoonful of fennel juice on an empty stomach.
- This tea is especially helpful for pregnant women.
Cinnamon: Cinnamon reduces the pain and relentlessness of nausea.
- Grind a few sticks of cinnamon into powder and add two tablespoons of honey to it.
- Brew this with boiling water to make cinnamon tea.
- Take small and slow sips to drive out nausea.
Cumin: Cumin works on nausea quite efficiently.
- Have a cup of cumin tea by adding a teaspoon of cumin seeds to a cup of boiling water and then straining out the tea after ten minutes.
- The fragrance of the tea and its taste will help to cure nausea.
- Do not try this if your nausea is induced by pregnancy.
5. Chamomile Tea:
Being a gastrointestinal relaxant, chamomile tea is highly effective in curing nausea, vomiting and motion sickness.
- Have a cup of warm of chamomile tea.
- Take three teaspoons of dried and crushed chamomile herbs(2) in a cup and pour boiling water into it.
- Let this get evenly infused.
- Strain out the liquid and add a tablespoon of honey or a teaspoon of lemon juice for taste.
- Drink this with slow sips to relieve yourself of nausea.
It is a remarkable home remedies for nausea and works by dispelling flatulence and relaxing the stomach and muscles of the intestine.
The soft aroma of orange peel helps to soothe nausea.
- Just peel the orange and take in its faint fragrance and you will feel significantly better.
- Scratch at its peel and its essential oil gets released into the air.
- Hold the scratched peel to your nose and your nauseous feelings will subside.
However, do not eat the fruit as that might make you feel acidic and vomit all the more.
7. Aniseed Tea:
Aniseed tea is highly effective in curing nausea.
- Brew a nice warm cup of aniseed(3) tea by adding less than half a teaspoon of aniseed powder to a cup of boiling water.
- Strain out the drink after five minutes and drink it with slow sips to treat the nauseous feelings.
8. Water, Baking Soda, and Apple Cider Vinegar:
Are you in thought about how to treat nausea with apple cider vinegar? Well, this concoction works on nausea that is induced by acid reflux and indigestion.
- Take two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and dissolve it in two cups of warm water.
- Add a pinch of baking soda to the water and stir well for even dissolution.
- Drink this immediately and your nausea will be cured.
Onions provide instant relief from nausea.
- Take a teaspoon each of onion juice and grated ginger in a bowl.
- Mix this well and eat the mixture in small quantities to cure nausea.
Cloves fight incredibly against nausea and its symptoms. It has aromatic and soothing properties that help to cure nausea and is especially used in treating morning sickness during pregnancy.
- Add a teaspoon of powdered clove to a glass of water and set it to boil.
- Strain out the liquid and add a tablespoon of honey to the clove tea.
- Drink this with small sips whenever you feel nauseous.
- Chew on a couple of cloves or soak a handkerchief in clove oil and hold it to your nose.
- Inhale the aroma with deep breaths till you feel better.
[ Read: Home Remedies for Vomiting ]
This is one of the most remarkable of natural home remedies for nausea. Cranberry juice(9) cures nausea by keeping the digestive tract clean and keeping your body hydrated.
- Drink a glass of cranberry juice to calm your disturbing stomach and drive out the feelings of nausea.
Mint is highly effectual in treating nausea and its symptoms.
- Take a tablespoon of dried and crushed mint leaves and add it to a glass of water.
- Set this to boil for about fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Strain out the tea and drink it slowly whenever nausea attacks you.
- The strained out mint leaves can be used to treat nausea effectively.
How to stop nausea fast?
Step out of the closed space into the open to get a breath of fresh. This helps in giving you quick relief from nausea. However, if this is not an option for you, sniff at the scratched peels of lemons or oranges to drive out the nauseous feelings instantly with aromatherapy.
What to take for nausea?
Take a cup of spicy hot tea or have a ginger or peppermint candy to fight the feelings of nausea.
Can dehydration cause nausea?
Dehydration is one of the chief causes of nausea. Rapidly increasing loss of fluids is almost always accompanied by a headache, dizziness and acute feelings of nausea.
Drink plenty of water with a teaspoonful each of salt and sugar dissolved in it to rehydrate your body and establish electrolyte balance. This will help to cure nausea in an instant.