Brazil nuts are not only delicious but also loaded with nutrients and health benefits for skin hair and general physiological functioning. The nuts have a smooth feel and a sweet and delicious flavor. The high fiber and essential fat content make it remarkably beneficial for the maintenance of good health and wellbeing. In this Article, you can find 20 Magnificent Brazil Nuts Benefits.
What are Brazilian Nuts?
The Brazil nuts(1) or Bertholletia excelsa belong to Lecythidaceae family. Indigenous to South America, the nuts are mostly found in the rainforests of Amazon and in Bolivia, Peru, and Brazil. Every nut is enclosed in a thick and brown shell.
The kernel of the Brazil nut consists of a soft and delicious nut encased in a soft brown skin. The nuts have an earthy taste and are a part of the staple diet of the natives of Amazon. Just a couple of Brazil nuts a day are enough to make you look healthy and feel great.
Brazil Nut Nutrition Facts
Brazil nuts calories content of six kernels is 185 calories. The other important nutrients present in Brazil nuts include-
- Carbohydrates- 3.5 g
- Protein- 4 g
- Fat- 18.8 g
- Fiber- 2.1 g
- Selenium- 542 micrograms
- Magnesium- 106 mg
- Copper-0.5 mg
- Phosphorus- 205 mg
- Manganese- 0.3 mg
- Thiamine- 0.2 mg
- Vitamin E- 1.6 mg
- Zinc- 1.1 mg
- Calcium- 186 mg
- Iron- 0.7 mg
Brazil Nuts Uses
Brazil nut can be considered to be a vegan superfood. The oil extracted from the nut is an excellent agent of skin and hair health and beauty. It is rich in potent vitamins and minerals that keep the skin and hair well-nourished and healthy.
The impressive assortment of nutrients contained in Brazil nuts is highly beneficial for the natural treatment of a number of health conditions like a muscle cramp, fertility, cancer, cardiac problems and more.
Brazil Nut Recipes
Brazil Nut Cookies
- 2 cups of finely chopped Brazilian nuts
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
- 1 cup of softened butter
- 2 cups of wheat flour
- ½ a teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ a teaspoon of salt
- ½ a cup of finely shredded coconut
- Beat the butter and sugar together until they turn fluffy
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat some more
- Add the baking soda, salt, and flour to the bowl
- Whip it until you get a batter of a creamy consistency
- Add the chopped nuts and shredded coconut with gentle stirring
- Drop the batter on the baking sheet at 3 tablespoons for every cookie
- Bake for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees until the cookies turn golden brown
- Remove them to the wire racks
Your Brazil nut cookies are ready to be served with coffee or tea.
Brazil Nut and Banana Smoothie
- 40 grams of Brazil nuts
- 1 chilled banana chopped into small pieces
- 120 ml of plain kefir
- 1 each of teaspoon of vanilla and honey
- Add the nuts to a bowl and fill it with water
- Refrigerate this and let it soak overnight or for 8 hours at least
- Drain out the nuts and put them in a blender
- Add the banana pieces and kefir to the blender
- Add the honey and vanilla essence
- Blend well until the content turn into a smooth mixture
- Add some more water until you get the desired consistency
- Garnish the smoothie with finely chopped nuts and stick a banana slice at the edge of the glass
The Brazil nut and banana smoothie are ready to be served.
Top 20 Brazil Nuts Benefits for Health and Beauty
Brazil nuts are engulfed with an array of benefits and effects on the body. Elucidated below are some of the great uses of Brazil nuts.
1. Brazil Nuts Thyroid Benefits for the Regulation of the Thyroid Hormone
Brazil nuts benefits people suffering from hypothyroidism in an effective way. The nuts possess the enzyme triiodothyronine that stimulates the secretion of thyroid hormone. Eat at least 6-7 Brazil nuts daily for the regular dose of selenium(2).
Recommended Read: natural remedies for thyroid
2. Brazil Nuts Testosterone Benefits for Male Fertility
The rich selenium content of Brazil nuts makes it a superfood for enhancing the testosterone level. It helps in the improvement of sperm count, quality, and motility which in turn increase the level of testosterone. The nuts also contain L-arginine which aids in the natural cure of erectile dysfunction(3).
3. Brazil Nuts Health Benefits for the Prevention of Cancer
The wide variety of antioxidants present in Brazil nuts destroys free radicals and aid in the prevention of cancer(4). The Brazil nuts selenium benefits include the fact that the high content of selenium enables the enzyme glutathione that eliminates toxins and prevents the metastasis of cancerous cells and promotes apoptosis as well.
Also Read: How to Cure Testicular Cancer
4. Brazil Nuts Benefits for Anxiety and Stress
Stress and anxiety are caused by low level of selenium in the body. The nuts are a good source of selenium. Regular consumption of Brazil nuts enhances the metabolism of the hormone serotonin that regulates mood, sleep, and appetite and pumps the level of selenium in the body that diminishes depression, stress, and fatigue linked with a deficiency of selenium.
Recommended Read: natural remedies for anxiety
5. The Benefits of Eating Brazil Nuts for Curing Zinc Deficiency
Brazil nuts are rich in zinc that helps in the cure of zinc deficiency diseases like Acrodermatitis enteropathica. It is a rare disorder that is characterized by the failure of the body to absorb zinc. Brazil nuts help in the natural treatment of this zinc deficiency disease.
6. Brazil Nuts Benefits for Immunity
Brazil nuts possess a rich array of organic compounds and antioxidants that make it highly beneficial for building stronger body immunity. The vitamin C works with zinc and selenium to stimulate the generation of WBCs and antioxidants in the body to neutralize the free radicals.
7. Brazil Nuts Health Benefits for Digestive Health
The Brazil nuts’ fiber content is highly beneficial for gastrointestinal health. The fiber aids in the peristaltic motion of food through the gastrointestinal tract. This helps in the prevention of peptic ulcer, bloating, constipation, cramps and intestinal cancer and in the maintenance of digestive health.
8. Brazil Nuts Benefits for Muscle Functioning
Brazil nuts contain magnesium that is highly essential for muscle functioning. It aids in the prevention of lactic acid buildup in the muscles and provides protection against muscle cramps. Its rich content of amino acids helps in the development and strengthening of muscles(5).
9. Brazil Nuts Benefits for the Improvement of Bone Density
Brazil nuts are rich in minerals such as copper, calcium, and phosphorus that are exceedingly beneficial for the health of bones and for the enhancement of mineral density of bones and structure of bone tissues. It also aids in iron absorption into the blood.
Also Read: how to prevent bone cancer naturally
10. Brazil Nuts Benefits for Cellular Repair and Growth
The protein in Brazil nuts is highly essential for cellular repair and growth which becomes especially useful for the healing of cuts and wounds. The vitamin C contained in Brazil nuts is highly essential for the production of collagen which is required for the repair of tissues, cells and blood vessels.
11. Brazilian Nuts Weight Loss
The high content of fiber and protein in Brazil nuts make it highly beneficial for the weight loss regimen. The fiber content controls digestion, accelerates the rate of metabolism and regulates bowel movement. This helps in the maintenance of body weight and aids in the shedding of excess flab with ease. Being rich in dietary fiber it helps to feel full without any significant rise in calorie intake.
Also Read: how to use hemp seeds for weight loss
12. Benefits of Brazil Nuts for the Facilitation of Nutrient Absorption
The high level of magnesium and zinc in Brazil nuts stimulates the efficient absorption of nutrients into the bloodstream. The high nutritional composition of Brazil nuts facilitates the nutrient uptake and protects the body from different deficiency diseases(6).
13. Brazil Nut Oil Benefits for Cardiac Health
The oil extracted from Brazil nuts is rich in omega 3 fatty acids like palmitoleic acid and oleic acid. The excellent variety of unsaturated fatty acids, vitamin E, magnesium, and selenium makes it highly beneficial for cardiac health(7).
The healthy omega 3 fatty acids reduce the level of bad cholesterol and protect the body from atherosclerosis. Brazil nuts also contain potassium that behaves as a vasodilator by relaxing the blood vessels and reducing cardiac strain.
14. Brazil Nuts Health Benefits for the Protection of Skin
The wide range of nutrients and vitamins present in Brazil nuts make it incredibly beneficial for health. Its rich content of vitamins C and E, omega-3 fatty acid and selenium benefits for skin in innumerable ways like it nourishes the skin, improves its natural elasticity and prevents premature aging.
Regular massage of the skin with Brazil nut oil prevents wrinkles and protects against skin cancer. It is also highly beneficial for the natural treatment of eczema and skin psoriasis.
15. Nutritional Value of Brazil Nuts for the Cure of Acne
Brazil nuts being rich in zinc are greatly effective for the natural cure of acne and blemishes. Normal consumption of Brazil nuts and regular massage of the face with Brazil nut oil face pack enriches the skin with antioxidants and vitamins and protects it from acne.
The oil cures inflammation of the skin and keeps it naturally hydrated. Topical application of the oil extracted from the Brazil nuts is a proven natural remedy for sunburns and skin cancer. The oil can also cure insect bites and bee stings.
16. Brazil Nut Oil Hair Benefits for Long and Strong Hair
The amino acids contained in Brazil nuts especially L-arginine makes the oil extracted from the nuts incredibly beneficial for long, thick and strong tresses(8). It nourishes the scalp and aids in the natural treatment of scalp infection, scalp psoriasis and inflammation of the scalp.
The omega 3 fatty acid content of Brazil nut oil works in combination with the anti-inflammatory properties of selenium and vitamin E to enrich the scalp and accelerate the recovery from the scalp disease alopecia that is characterized by permanent balding through irreparable damage to the scalp and roots.
17. Brazil Nuts Benefits for the Health of the Brain and Central Nervous System
The nutrients contained in Brazil nuts are highly essential for the healthy functioning of the brain and Central Nervous System(9). Regular consumption of Brazil nuts enhances cognitive ability, improves memory power and receptivity.
The vitamin B content of Brazil nuts protects against Alzheimer’s disease and cures depression, stress, and anxiety.
They help in the cure of neuroinflammation with anti-inflammatory properties, improves spatial memory and other brain defects caused during traumatic and serious injuries to the head. Consumption of Brazil nuts prevents cognitive degeneration and enhances mental performance.
18. Brazil Nuts for Fighting Against Inflammation
The rich content of selenium and ellagic acid of Brazil nuts make it highly anti-inflammatory in nature. It possesses powerful neuroprotective properties that provide protection against neuroinflammation of the Central Nervous System.
The high level of zinc contained in Brazil nuts prevents and cures inflammation. It helps in the elimination of toxins from the body and helps to stay healthy and detoxified.
19. Brazil Nuts for the Scrubbing and Exfoliation of Skin
Brazil nuts make for an excellent exfoliant for skin.
- Grind half a cup of Brazil nuts into a fine powder by using a food processor
- Blend the powdered nuts with mashed avocado or yogurt
- Make a course and even paste
- Moisten your face and neck and then start massaging them with gentle pressure
- Leave the face pack to dry for about 15 minutes
- Rinse your face with cool water
Your blackheads will disappear and all the dead cells will be scrubbed off leaving behind glowing and healthy facial skin.
20. Brazil Nut Oil for the Cure of Arthritis
The oil is richly anti-inflammatory in nature and its omega-3 fatty acid content helps to cure arthritis quite effectively. It cures the inflammation of joints and its natural analgesic properties help in the alleviation of pain.
1. How many Brazil nuts can you eat in a day?
Response: About 5-6 nuts are enough for a day as any more than that might cause selenium overdose.
2. Are Brazil nuts good for the heart?
Response: Yes, Brazil nuts are highly beneficial to the heart.
3. Do Brazil nuts make you sleepy?
Response: No, Brazil nuts do not have any sedative effect.
4. Are Brazil nuts good for fertility?
Response: Brazil nuts are good for male fertility. It enhances the testosterone secretion in the body.