One fine day while changing to your cute nightdress, you notice tiny dark spots all over your legs. What exactly is this? What is it called? Are you the only one to have them on your legs? You turn to your bed with these vague questions in your mind. Well, this condition exists, and it is called strawberry legs.
It sounds like a new concept with the beauty industry magnifying its horizon of perfection day by day. With the rising bar of perfection, we are here to satisfy your curiosity on how to get rid of strawberry legs.
What is Strawberry Legs?
Strawberry Legs, known as comedones in medical terms, is a result of ingrown hair, dust and dirt gathering in hair follicles. The other term used for strawberry legs is keratosis pilaris. In this condition, all the filth then leads to open, dark pores.
There are many symptoms for strawberry skin legs which include – dark or patched skin, darkening of pores on legs, and black dots after shaving legs When these pores get exposed to air, they become oxidized. The presence of such dark pores on legs is known as strawberry legs.
What Are the Causes of Strawberry Legs?
Some of the causes of strawberry marks on legs are:
Overly dry skin: When your skin is dehydrated, it is more likely to irritate while shaving. It can also lead to the darkening of pores in the skin.
Shaving: Shaving improperly leads to razor burns, in growth and folliculitis.
Clogged pores: The pores on your skin can get clogged due to the dust, dirt, and bacteria
Folliculitis: Folliculitis is a condition about the hair follicles. It occurs when bacterial or fungal infections attack hair follicles.
Natural Remedies for Strawberry Legs
Natural ways to cure any condition are the best in ways, one of them being inexpensive and the other being less use of chemicals. Here are the five natural ways on how to get rid of strawberry legs:
Inculcate healthy foods in your diet. A nutritious diet comprises a good mix of fruits and vegetables. A healthy diet and intake of vitamin C is the answer to your question on how to fix strawberry legs. Foods rich in vitamin C include plant foods, nuts, eggs, and lean fish containing Omega 3 fatty acids and healthy oils.
Also, you can have citrus fruits which are a rich source of vitamin C. Some other foods high in vitamin C are chili peppers, guavas, blackcurrants, parsley, kale, broccoli, and papayas and lychees a which help you in how to get rid of strawberry legs.
Aloe Vera acts as an effective moisturizer. It contains mucopolysaccharides that help to keep your strawberry legs black skin to stay hydrated. Also, this gel is antibacterial and antifungal. Hence it can prevent the development of folliculitis(1), blackheads, and dark pores resulting in strawberry legs.
How to use:
- Take a few tablespoons of Aloe Vera gel.
- Massage it into the skin for five minutes.
- Rinse it off
[Also Read: Benefits of Aloe Vera for Skin]
3. Essential oils
It keeps the fungus and bacteria at bay which helps to prevent the development of clogged pores, acne and irritation. It acts as a safety cover to your skin.
Also, Jojoba oil works as an excellent moisturizer. Blending the two can cause miracles. Just have a look at how to use it for how to get rid of strawberry legs.
How to use
- Take a few spoons of Jojoba oil. Add 2 to 3 drops of tea tree oil to it
- Massage the mixture into your skin
- Let the skin absorb this mixture for five minutes
- Rinse it off
4. Home remedies
A simple sugar scrub could be one of the remedies. This simple home remedy works wonders. This scrub will easily help you open up your clogged pores. All you have to do is:
How to use
- Take two tablespoons of brown sugar
- Add the required amount of aloe vera gel to it until it forms a thick paste
Here, instead of aloe vera, you can also use any natural oil of your choices such as coconut, avocado, or olive oil. In this case, oil will act as a perfect moisturizer
Squeeze a portion of lemon, and your exfoliator is ready to use
5. Natural Treatments
Ever wondered how our basic food has healing properties? That is the sole reason why we always stress the benefit of having a healthy diet. However, not only do these natural foods help the body internally, but you can use them externally to get rid of strawberry legs.
Natural Milk and Salt
The dead skin becomes soft because of the salt which opens the pores. Together with milk it acts as a scrub and helps you on how to get rid of strawberry legs.
- Take equal portions of salt and milk and mix them to a paste
- Massage your legs with it
- It will get you rid of your dead skin and will clean pores
- Wash it off after 15 minutes
Use Baking Soda and Buttermilk
Baking soda has an anti-inflammatory property which exfoliates the skin. On the other hand buttermilk softens the skin surface after exfoliation. It works as a moisturizer.
- Take equal portions of soda and buttermilk and mix them to a smooth paste
- Massage this paste on the skin and leave it for a few minutes to settle
- The cleansing properties of baking soda will unclog the pores and exfoliate the skin
- Wash it off after 15 minutes
Use Baking Soda and Warm Water
As we know water is an integral solution of every problem and combining it with baking soda gives better results on to get rid of strawberry legs.
- Take one tablespoon of baking soda and add enough water to form a thick paste
- Mix it properly and ensure there are no lumps left
- Apply the paste on the dark spots and it for 3 minutes
- Wash it off with cold water
- To make it more effective, you can also add one tablespoon of ground oatmeal
- Use this mixture at least once a day for faster results
Use Cucumber Juice
The cucumber juice is one of the best natural remedies since it works as a bleach, antioxidant and moisturizer, all at the same time. Also, it prevents swelling, inflammation and ingrown hair.
- Take a cucumber and mash it to a paste
- Apply the paste on dark spots and leave it for 5 minutes to settle
- Wash it off with water. Do this twice a day for better results
- You can also make a paste by adding rose water and lemon juice to the mashed cucumber
- In this case, apply the paste and leave it for 10 minutes before washing it off
- Repeat it daily
You need to take certain precautions while following any treatment. Go through the following before you decide to treat the condition:
- Although Vitamin C is perfect for overall health and skin, it is always advisable to consult a doctor in such state
- Every individual’s skin is different. Some can reap the benefits of Aloe Vera gel while others might be allergic to it
- While using any essential oil, always experiment it on your wrist to check for any signs of sensitivity or allergy. If you are already using any oil and experiencing rashes, itchiness or burning sensation, immediately stop using it and consult a doctor
Prevent Strawberry Legs
- Shave wisely
- Before shaving, soak your legs in warm water for 5 to 10 minutes. It helps to get rid of any impurities or dirt stuck to the pores
- Apply coconut oil to moisturize the skin
- Apply a moisturizing shave lotion for strawberry legs. If not shaving cream then use conditioner. Never use a bar of soap since it reduces the efficiency of the razor
- Use a fresh razor blade every time you shave. In case you are not changing the blade, then sterilize the old blade and then use it
- You should always use the razor in the direction of hair growth. Apply as little pressure as possible
- After shaving, wash the legs with cold water and apply salicylic acid. This acid helps to keep your skin exfoliated and prevents black spots
- Try other shaving methods such as waxing or creams and minimize the use of razors
You will find numerous natural solutions on how to get rid of strawberry legs. The only thing you need to figure out is which one works best for you. See what effects these remedies show on your skin. Be patient and consistent. Do not lose hope and give it some time to show the best results.