Parsley gets regarded as a herb, a spice, and a vegetable that is replete with a plethora of splendid medicinal values. Regular consumption of parsley benefits the health and well-being and helps to stay fit and fine. Wondering if these are about the same parsley that you put over your pizza or as a seasoning in many dishes? Yes, it’s the same! If you still don’t believe us then read and be amazed at benefits and some great ways to use parsley.
What is Parsley?
Parsley or Petroselinumcrispum and PetroselinumHortense(1) is a medicinal herb whose origin lies in the Mediterranean basin of South Italy, Tunisia, and Algeria. The herb serves as an exotic spice in the culinary department in its dried and crushed form.
It is a green leafy vegetable that can get added to salads and soups. There are many different types of parsley, and the roots and leaves of the tropical herb get regarded as powerful medicines since times immemorial.
Parsley Nutrition Profile
Calories in parsley: 1 calorie in a tablespoon of fresh parsley
Parsley can get considered as a superfood owing to its rich density of nutrients, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. The nutritional composition of parsley comprises of the following.
Sodium, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, zinc, and calcium.
Vitamins A, E, K, folate, B^, niacin, riboflavin, and thiamin.
Sugars, Dietary fiber, carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, energy, and water.
Alpha-thujene, eugenol, limonene, myristicin, alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, lycopene, apigenin, luteolin, etc.
Parley benefits the health and beauty in several ways. The most significant ways in which parsley benefits health are as below.
- Protection against oxidative stress
- Natural treatment of bloating
- Shedding excessive body weight
- Natural cure of inflammation
- Treatment of dermatological disorders
- Detoxification of the body
- Natural regulation of blood sugar
- Preservation of digestive health
- Cure of rheumatism
- Natural prevention and cure of cancer
- Natural treatment of osteoporosis and osteoarthritis
- Relief from colic pain and flatulence
- Spontaneous healing of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Enhancement of body immunity
- Improvement of cognition and brain functioning
- Prevention and cure of microbial infection
- Relief from aches and pains
- Natural treatment of anemia
- Prevention and cure of oral disorders
- Preservation of cardiac health
- Maintenance of hormonal balance
- Preservation of the health of the scalp and hair
- Protection against macular degeneration
How to Make use of Parsley?
- Garnish any of your favorite dishes with freshly chopped parsley.
- Add the parsley to salads and soups for a fresh zest of aroma and flavor
- Blend the parsley leaves into parsley juice and drink it after yoga or gym sessions
- Crush a handful of dried parsley and sprinkle it on your dishes as spices for a healthy boost of flavor
Top 8 Impressive Parsley Benefits for Health
1. How Parsley Benefits Against Oxidative Stress?
Parsley benefits health by fighting against oxidative stress and damage caused by harmful free radicals. The powerful antioxidants present in parsley can prevent and cure chronic disorders caused by oxidative damage such as neurodegenerative disorders, cardiac problems, etc
2. How to use Parsley Juice for the Cure of Bloating?
Parsley benefits the cure of bloating and stomachache. Parsley juice can be used as an incredibly useful douche to flush out the toxins from the body. The diuretic nature of parsley juice can cure fluid retention, abdominal pain, and inflammation.
3. How to use Wild Parsley Tea for Loss of Weight?
One of the best parsley health benefits is helping in the reduction of excessive body weight. Consumption of parsley helps in boosting the rate of metabolism and digestion. Its diuretic nature flushes out excess water from the body and prevents any weight gain from water retention.
4. How Parsley Benefits the Health of Skin?
Parsley helps to enhance the beauty of skin. Topical application of a paste of parsley root and yogurt can help to heal insect stings and bites. Use of parsley juice aids in the prevention of acne, dark spots, premature lines and wrinkles, blemishes, pimples, and skin rashes.
5. How to use Dried Parsley for Detoxification?
Consumption of dried parsley benefits the detoxification of the body by the elimination of heavy metals and toxins. You can also drink parsley root infusion twice a day to fight against oxidative stress inflicted by lead and mercury and other such toxins and stay healthy and detoxified.
6. How to use Parsley Leaves for the Cure of Diabetes?
Parsley benefits the cure of diabetes. The dried parsley leaves contain myricetin which is a flavonoid that can reduce insulin resistivity and decrease the level of blood glucose quite effectively. Regular consumption of parsley tea can also prevent sudden spikes and drops in blood glucose levels.
7. How to use Fresh Parsley for Digestion?
Consumption of fresh parsley benefits the health of the digestive tract. Parsley is rich in dietary fibrous content that helps in the regulation of healthy bowel movement and the prevention and cure of constipation. Eating fresh parsley leaves can help to prevent digestive problems like abdominal cramps, stomach flu, bloating, flatulence, indigestion, acidity, and diarrhea.
8. How to use wild parsley tea to cure rheumatism?
The rich content of beta-carotene and vitamin C of wild parsley makes the herb powerfully anti-inflammatory. Parsley helps in the cure of rheumatoid arthritis by the alleviation of pain, inflammation, swelling, and redness of the affected joints and muscles.
Parsley and Pineapple Smoothie
- 1/4th a cup of fresh parsley
- 1 cup of frozen or fresh pineapple chunks evenly chopped
- 1/2 a cup of almond milk
- 1 cup of chopped banana
- one teaspoon of peeled ginger
- One teaspoon of honey
- Chop the parsley leaves into fine shreds
- Mash the bananas into a paste
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl with gentle stirring
- Pour the contents of the container into a food blender
- Blend well until the mixture becomes smooth
- Add some more almond milk to adjust the consistency to your choice
- Pour the smoothie into a tall glass
- Garnish it with pineapple wedges and parsley shreds
- Drop a few ice cubes into the smoothie and serve
Parsley Juice Drink
- 1 cup of fresh parsley evenly chopped
- Two medium-sized apples
- Two kale leaves
- Finely chopped one lemon
- One teaspoon of honey
- Peel the apples and cut them into small pieces
- Remove the seeds of the apples
- Peel the lemons, chop them into tiny wedges, and remove the seeds
- Rinse all the leaves and fruits with plain water
- Combine them in a large bowl with gentle stirring
- Transfer the contents of the container into a blender
- Blend the ingredients until they become a smooth mixture
- Add some water to reduce the consistency
- Add a teaspoon of honey to sweeten the drink
- Give it a final stir before garnishing it with shreds of parsley
- 1 cup of evenly shredded parsley
- 2 cups of water
- One tablespoon of honey
- Add the crushed parsley leaves to the water and put them to boil
- Let the infusion simmer for about 10-12 minutes
- Strain out the liquid and serve it hot with crackers or sugar-free cookies
Parsley vs. Cilantro
Parsley and cilantro are two different herbs that resemble each other in their appearance. The difference between the two herbs lies in the flavor. While parsley is aromatic and possesses a spicy flavor, cilantro is known for its tangy notes and citrusy flavor.
Side Effects of Consumption of Parsley
Some of the most common side effects of the use of parsley are given below. If you notice any of the side effects of parsley, then it is recommended to avoid the herb to stay safe and healthy.
- Parsley contains a biochemical compound called psoralen that triggers harmful photodermatitis effects on the body
- If you are on warfarin therapy, then consumption of parsley might cause internal bleeding
- Parsley tea contains a high level of oxalic acid which is toxic to the body
- Consumption of parsley during the pregnancy phases can cause uterine problems, bleeding, and miscarriage
- Topical application of parsley extract on the scalp and the skin can trigger allergies and rashes
Parsley benefits are incredibly useful and beneficial for health. From curing cancer to relieving muscle cramps, parsley works like magic and addresses many different ailments and health issues. Besides, it is readily available in local groceries and online markets, and you can buy it throughout the year. Try a handful of parsley instead of a bunch of pills and potions to stay detoxified and healthy.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to freeze parsley?
There are two unique techniques to freeze parsley. The simplest method is to rinse the fresh parsley in ice-cold water and then let it dry in the air. Put the dry parsley in a ziplock bag and place the pack in the refrigerator. Another method is to make parsley cubes by placing the parsley leaves in the ice-tray and pouring a little water in each compartment. Put the ice-tray in the deep freezer and thaw a cube of ice to extract the frozen parsley.
2. Is too much parsley bad for you?
Overconsumption of parsley might prove to be harmful to health because of the presence of toxic oxalic acid in parsley.
3. How long does Parsley Last?
The freshness of parsley does not last any more than 15-20 minutes when left out in the open. However, when frozen, it can last up to an extended period.