Have you ever thought why your grandmother or other seniors always advise having a plant of aloe vera at home? Can you believe that one plant can be so beneficial that it stands at number one spot amongst all the other home remedies? Yes, the magical plant aloe vera hasn’t lost its charm and continues to lure you owing to its amazing benefits. Be it anything, the effects that aloe vera has on the skin are incomparable. It is one magical remedy that you are going to cherish for life. So, why to wait! Read on and find out the incredible benefits of aloe vera for the skin.
- What is Aloe Vera for skin?
- Benefits of Aloe Vera for Skin
- Steps to Use Aloe Vera
- DIY Aloe Vera for Skin
- How to Include Aloe Vera
What is Aloe Vera for skin?
Aloe Vera is a succulent or pulpy plant that has thick fleshy leaves, which is best adapted for storing water. It is an evergreen perennial plant with its origin from the Arabian Peninsula. In Egypt, the people also call this plant as ‘The Plant of Immortality.’
In this world, there are around 240 different varieties of Aloe Vera plant. It is a pea green color plant that grows in a hot and dry climate. It comprises about 96% water and can be spotted in every region, be it dessert, plains or mountain regions. This plant can grow up to 24-39 inches in height.
Aloe Vera for skin is the best alternative because of its zero side effects. Aloe Vera plant is also known as the ‘Burn Plant’ as it soothes burns on the skin.
Fascinating Points about Aloe Vera
You may don’t know, but Aloe Vera gets used directly or indirectly in many daily life products such as cosmetics, lotions, beverages, medicines, and, etc. Aloe Vera is also known as ‘Wonder Plant’ because of its restorative properties.
Aloe Vera produces two entirely different substances called gel and latex. Aloe gel is a clear matter resembling a jelly, and the latex is yellow. Aloe Vera could be a see plant that belongs to the lily family. Aloe leaves secrete a transparent gel once broken away from the surplus of the plant.
Five Benefits of Aloe Vera for Skin
There are over 400 species of Aloe Vera plant with each providing unique health benefits. The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of Aloe Vera are advantageous in treating skin problems.
Let us discuss some of the benefits of Aloe Vera for skin –
- Aloe Vera as a skin moisturizer: Aloe Vera for skin (1) is considered as an excellent natural moisturizer as it offers the moisturizing effect without greasiness.
- For women: It can be a great moisturizer to be used before the application of makeup to prevent skin drying.
- For men: It can get used as an aftershave treatment because of its healing properties that can treat small cuts caused by shaving.
- Aloe Vera for acne treatment: Aloe Vera contains two hormones Auxin and Gibberellins. Both of these hormones provide healing and anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce skin inflammation. Aloe Vera for skin minimizes scarring from acne and allows the skin to heal quickly and naturally.
- Aloe Vera fights aging: As you age, you start to worry about your appearance, fine lines in your skin. Mostly, women are more conscious about their skin when coming across such problems. And to get rid of the fine lines they start using different cosmetic products that contain chemicals and have lots of side effects also. Aloe Vera contains numerous natural antioxidants including beta-carotene, vitamin C and E that helps in improving aging of the skin. By using Aloe Vera for skin, you can retain its elasticity, and it also keeps the skin hydrated.
- Aloe Vera fights sunburn: One of the most fantastic benefits of Aloe Vera for skin is that it can heal even severe cases of sunburn. The antioxidants which are present in Aloe Vera naturally form a protective layer on the surface that helps in treating the sunburn at a much faster rate and bring back its moisture.
- Aloe Vera lessens stretch marks: In your body, skin has the maximum elasticity. Skin can get stretched due to different factors like pregnancy, rapid weight gain or loss, due to which flexibility of skin damages. It leaves stretch marks on the skin. Aloe Vera is again instrumental in hiding these stretch marks as it has high healing properties. By continuous use of Aloe Vera gel on these marks, it will be barely visible.
Steps to Use Aloe Vera for Skin:
Aloe Vera is nontoxic and very useful. Here are some tips on how you can use the Aloe Vera to get glowing and smooth skin.
- You can consume aloe Vera gel directly by adding it in a smoothie to have a good taste. Aloe Vera has a somewhat bitter taste that is why taking a smoothie route must be preferred.
- You can apply the fresh Aloe Vera gel on your face. Leave it for at least 15 minutes. Wash your face with regular water. Completely dry your face by using a towel. Now you can feel and see the glow on your skin.
- To go from pigmented skin to spotless skin mix some rose water with Aloe Vera gel and apply it to the pigmented areas. Leave it till it dries. Now, you can wash your face with water.
Can You Apply Aloe Vera Gel While Sleeping?
Well, the answer to this question is yes, it is entirely safe to apply Aloe Vera gel overnight. It is even better to use Aloe Vera gel at night to receive maximum hydration as your skin regenerates while you sleep. Apply Aloe Vera gel on your face before going to bed and wake up with soft and shiny skin.
Four Unbelievable DIY Aloe Vera for Skin Remedies
Here are some homemade DIY remedies using Aloe Vera for skin:
1. Aloe Vera and olive oil:
- Take some Aloe Vera gel and olive oil and mix it together
- Now, add a small quantity of oatmeal to form a paste
- Apply this paste on your face
- Keep it for 30 minutes
- Rinse with cold water
- Repeat as needed
2. Aloe Vera and lemon juice:
3. Aloe Vera scrub
- Extract one cup of Aloe Vera gel from fresh leaves
- Now, take two cups of regular sugar and four tablespoons of lemon juice
- Mix it well
- The scrub is ready to use, and you can store it in a refrigerator
- Apply the scrub on your face and massage it for about 20 minutes and wash it off with regular water
4. Aloe Vera and honey mask
Do you have oily skin? If yes, then follow this mask to get a smooth and oil free skin.
- Boil the fresh leaves of Aloe Vera in water and mash it to form a smooth paste
- Now, add some honey and mix it properly
- Now, apply it all over your face and keep it for at least 20 minutes and wash your face
How to Include Aloe Vera in Your Daily Routine?
- Before going out in the sunlight during daytime, apply the Aloe Vera gel on your face to prevent sunstrokes.
- You can apply Aloe Vera gel on your feet to get rid of small cracks.
- Aloe Vera can be used to get soft and smooth lips.
- Aloe Vera can also be used to get smooth and shiny hairs.
- You can also make the face mask by mixing Aloe Vera gel with other ingredients available at home like almond oil, banana, egg, butter, etc.
Precautions to take:
Aloe Vera is generally safe and is very useful in treating skin conditions such as burns and psoriasis. But, if you have sensitive skin and if you experience redness or swelling, go through a simple patch test on your skin before applying Aloe Vera gel.
The Aloe Vera plant has been known for centuries as it posses antimicrobial properties that help in treating numerous bacterial and fungal infections. As discussed, it is a boon for healing wounds and also soothes the skin providing relief from sunburn. The Aloe Vera plant is in use for numerous functions in the field of medicine too that makes this plant the king of natural remedies. Numerous studies have discovered uncountable benefits and advantages of using aloe vera for skin and has marked it absolutely safe for use. So why to wait? Get yourself an aloe vera plant and start reaping its profits at the ease of your home.