Bumped into the bedpost or a chair or fell on the road? You are all right, but the skin of the specific area has got discolored? Do you need to worry about it? Well, that depends on the bruise you got. If you want to know how to get rid of bruises then here you get it all. Try the home remedies for bruises and get rid of them quickly.
What is a Bruise?
A bruise is a mark that appears on the skin after some injury. It occurs when the blood vessels of the area where the injury happened get crushed causing blood to trap under the skin. It results in discoloration of the skin.
What causes a Bruise?
The following factors may cause a bruise:
- Bumping into something
- Doing vigorous exercise tearing the blood vessels
- The fragile tissues in older adults
- Unexplained bruising may occur due to bleeding disorder or aforgotten injury
Types of Bruises to Worry About a Brief
- Subcutaneous Bruises: They appear just beneath the skin.
- Intramuscular Bruises: The intramuscular bruises occur in the muscles.
- Periosteal Bruises: The Periosteal Bruises are the bone bruises.
Bruise marks are generally black and blue, but you may also get:
- Red bruise
- Purple bruise
- Green bruise
- Brown bruise
- Yellow bruise
What are the Symptoms of Bruises?
Following are the signs of a bruise:
- Discoloration of the skin
- Discoloration accompanied by pain and swelling
What causes Easy Bruising?
Easy bruising becomes familiar with age as your skin gets thinand start losing the fatty layer protecting the blood vessels.
- Low count of blood platelets
- Blood disease
- Issues in blood clotting
- The improper functioning of proteins causing blood clotting
- Abnormal operation of the blood platelets
How long do bruises last?
The recovery time depends on several factors like severity, location, and medical history. Also, bruises on arms and on face heal fast than the bruises on legs. However, it generally takes two to four weeks to recover. Here are some easy how to get rid of bruises remedies.
[Read: Vitamin For Bruises]
Natural Remedies for Bruises
The bruises fade away with time. But if they are unsightly and you are looking for how to get rid of the bruises as soon as possible, then try the home remedies to accelerate their fading and lessen the swelling. These remedies promote faster healing so that you get rid of your bruise quickly and easily. Following are the remedies to heal bruise marks and pain naturally
1. Heal Bruises with The Help of Foods
How to Get Rid of Bruises with a Potato?
Treat the black bruise on your knee by using a potato.
How to use?
- Take a potato and peel it
- Cut it into slices, or you can even grate it
- Place it on the affected area
- To keep it at its place, you can bandage it
Benefits of potato
Potato is known to prevent the bruise and can significantly reduce the mark fast. It is because potato has strong antiseptic properties that help in reducing the swelling and reducing the bruise mark. The alkaline juices of potato work on your bruised knee and quickly heal it.
How to Treat the Bruises with Ginger?
Is the swollen, bruised ankle creating trouble for you? Ginger, one of the best home remedies for bruises can significantly reduce the bruise(1).
How to use?
- Take few slices of ginger and boil them for ten minutes
- Take out the ginger slices from the water and add honey to it
- Your ginger tea is ready
- Sip it to accelerate the healing of the bruise
- Alternatively, you can apply the slices of fresh ginger directly on the injured area for faster healing
Benefits of ginger
Ginger has inflammatory properties that alleviate the swelling of the region. Further, it is rich in antioxidants that speed up the healing process.
How to Get rid of Bruises using Turmeric and Tamarind Paste?
A bruised foot can create a lot of trouble. The injury on the foot takes time to heal; further, your foot area is more prone to the growth of bacteria and other germs. To speed up the healing process and protect your injury from bacteria, use the paste made using turmeric and tamarind.
How to use?
- Mix some tamarind and turmeric powder
- Add to it some drops of water to make a thick paste
- Heat the paste for some time
- After that, apply it to the area with a bruise
- Cover it by tying a soft cloth around the injury
- Leave it for some time to dry
- Wash the area with warm water
Benefits of Tamarind and Turmeric Paste
This remedy quickens the elimination of the bruise. Turmeric is a rich source of curcumin, a compound with strong antibacterial properties that aid in quick healing and ease the pain. On the other hand, tamarind, being an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, reduces the swelling. Thus, this turmeric and tamarind paste is an excellent remedy for bruises.
Foods to eat
Following foods help to strengthen the blood vessels which in turn minimizes bruising.
- Fish oil
2. How to Heal a Bruise with Herbal Compress?
Lavender and Chamomile Herb for Bruises
The best herbs that you can use to manage injuries including leukemia bruises are lavender and chamomile.
How to use?
- Add a teaspoon of dried flowers of chamomile and lavender to boiling water
- Let the mixture of chamomile and lavender steep
- Set it aside for some time to cool down
- Make a warm compress using the mix
- Apply this compress on your nail several times a day to see results
Benefits of herbal compress
Herbal compress is an effective way to treat bruises especially the bruised nail. The effect of plain warm compress manifolds by adding herbs to it. The herbs have anti-inflammatory properties that speed up the healing of the bruise.
Always choose the herbs in their best natural form for useful results. Check for expiry date if purchasing any over the counter herb.
3. Essential Oils for Bruises
Essential Oils are plant extracts. These are quite potent and known to treat various ailments. As these have excellent healing and inflammatory properties, essential oils become one of the best home remedies for bruises. Your bruised heel, knee, hand, etc., can easily be treated by using the essential oils. Following are some of the best essential oils for how to get rid of bruises.
Black Pepper Essential Oil
The warming effect of Black Pepper Essential Oil) works terrific for treating the bruise.
How to use?
- Take 2-3 drops of black pepper essential oil
- Dilute it in coconut oil
- Apply it over the area
- Follow it with a cold compress
- Wipe it off with a clean cloth if required
Benefits of black pepper essential oil
It improves the blood circulation thus speeding up the healings. To heal the damaged tissues due to bumps and bruises, apply the oil on the area and follow it by a cold compress that helps the oil to have deep penetration into the skin.
[Read: Essential Oils for Bruises]
Geranium Essential Oil
Geranium Essential Oil(2) has skin healing properties that aid in recovery and decrease swelling. The warm effect of the oil speeds the healing and alleviates pain.
How to use?
- Blend 2-3 drops of geranium oil with a carrier oil like almond oil
- Apply it on the bruises
- Massage and keep it for some time
Essential oils are quite potent. These can effectively reduce bruises and bite marks. But you must apply them in diluted form only as their concentrated form can harm you. Also, it is essential to do a skin patch test to check your skin’s sensitivity to the oil.
Other essential oils that help to heal bruises
Lemongrass Essential Oil
Lemongrass Essential Oil increases the blood circulation thus accelerating the healing of the damaged blood vessels. Regular application of it reduces the visibility of the bruise efficiently.
Helichrysum Essential Oil
Helichrysum Essential Oil is one of the most potent essential oil that can heal the injuries. It quickly heals the wound and reduces the inflammation by repairing the damaged cells.
Myrrh essential oil
One can get rid of the bruises easily by using Myrrh Essential Oil. It is a regenerative oil that promotes faster healing. It also prevents scarring.
4. Treat Bruises with Home Remedies
How to use Honey or Sugar to Treat a Bruise?
Honey or sugar is an excellent remedy to treat bruises that are accompanied by a cut. You can use this remedy to heal your bruised face.
How to use?
- Warm some honey or make a hot sugar syrup
- It should be of a tolerable temperature
- Apply them on the injured area
- Leave it until the honey or sugar syrup dries
- After that, rinse the area with warm water
- Using this remedy for some time will heal your injury faster, and your bruise will fade away quickly
Benefits of honey or sugar
It works effectively to address the mark and reduce it quickly. The antibacterial properties of honey and the sugar syrup ensures that your wound remains protected from bacteria growth and heals faster.
Take care while heating the honey or sugar syrup. Check for the heat before applying it on the skin. It may cause a severe burn.
How to clear Bruise Mark on the Eye with Coconut Oil?
A bruised eye is not a beautiful vision. Temporary cosmetics may hide it but not cure it. Hence, if you wish to clear that black eye quickly, then use coconut oil.
How to use?
- Take some amount of coconut oil and rub it on your fingertips to liquefy it
- After that, gently massage the coconut oil around the eye
- Leave it overnight and wash the area the next morning
- Repeat the process every night for several days to see results.
- Rubbing the coconut oil around the eye clears the blood clots that cause blackening of the skin surface.
Benefits of Coconut oil
Virgin coconut oil is a magical potion and an effective treatment for how to get rid of bruises. It is because it has potent anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that make it quite useful in reducing the swelling and the bruise mark.
Be very careful while applying the oil as it may enter your eye. Check for the expiry date before using the oil on your skin.
How to Get Rid of an Itchy Bruise with Witch Hazel?
During the process of healing of a bruise, a chemical compound known as biliverdin is formed due to the biochemical breakdown of hemoglobin. An increased amount of this compound during the healing process causes the bruise to itch.
How to use?
- Soak a cotton ball in witch hazel
- Dab it gently on the bruise
- Keep applying for three to four minutes
- You can repeat the process several times a day to see results
Benefits of Witch hazel
An itchy bruise can be troublesome. To quickly heal if you can use Witch Hazel, one of the best home remedies for bruises. Application of Witch hazel eases the itchiness. It works great on bruises on legs and thighs caused due to damaged veins.
It is recommended to consult a doctor for a prescribed amount of witch hazel. An excess or concentrated application may result in inflammation in the bruised region.
5. Heal Bruises with Natural Treatments
How to reduce the severity by Cold Compressing?
Applying ice is among the best natural remedies for treating the bruise. Applying ice immediately after bumping into something will prevent the bruise from being more apparent. You can also manage a bruised penis with a cold compress.
How to use?
- Take an ice pack. You can make one by putting ice cubes in a soft cloth
- Apply it on the injured area moving in a circular motion
- Use this remedy for three days to treat your bruise
Benefits of Cold Compress
When you apply ice, the blood flow in the region reduces, as such the amount of blood that leaks from the ruptured blood vessels decreases. Thus, reducing the visibility and swelling in the area.
How to Heal a Bruise with a Warm Compress?
Warm compress is another excellent remedy for how to get rid of bruises. Applying a warm compress increases the blood circulation in the injured area and accelerates healing. Please note that you must not use it immediately after an injury. A warm compress should be applied after 24 or 48 hours of the damage when the inflammation has eased.
How to use?
- Pour warm water in a hot water bag
- Move the hot water bag slowly over the bruise while applying gentle pressure.
- Alternatively, you can also try a rejuvenating hot water bath
- You can use this remedy several times a day to clear the bruise mark
Other Remedies for Bruises
Other remedies that are helpful in treating bruises are:
1. Arnica Gel
Arnica gel(3) is one of the most recognized remedies for bruises. If you are looking for how to get rid of bruises 24 hours, then Arnica Gel is one of the most effective treatments for it. Treat our bruised hand, or bruised knuckles easily with this magical remedy.
How to use?
- Take some amount of arnica gel
- Apply it on the injured area
- Repeat the process at least three to four times a day to see quick results.
2. Vitamin K
Vitamin K works excellent for curing leukemia bruises. Vitamin K plays a vital role in blood clotting. There may be excessive blood loss when your body is unable to clot the blood, and this causes bruises. To treat them you can use Vitamin K ointments that are readily available in the market.
How to use?
- Take some amount of Vitamin K ointment
- Apply it on the bruise in gentle circular motion
- Repeat the process at least twice a day to see results
3. Vitamin C
Vitamin C is an effective remedy for those prone to easy bruising. Thus, if a slight bump causes a bruise, you must include Vitamin C in your diet. Vitamin C encourages tissue building and repair, thus reducing the bruise mark.
How to Use?
- You can increase your vitamin C intake by including Vitamin C rich foods in your diet
- Alternatively, you can take Vitamin C tablets
The unsightly bruise marks can be embarrassing at times. Further, the pain and swelling may cause much discomfort. The natural remedies mentioned above for how to get rid of bruises are quite useful. These home remedies for bruises accelerate the skin healing process so that the bruise marks, as well as the swelling, reduce, and you can get back to your normal life once again.