You want to speak to your heart out, but you can’t! With laryngitis, you can speak with a lot of discomforts. Laryngitis is the inflammation and swelling of the voice box and vocal cords. However, there is nothing in this world that cannot be cured. There are numerous ways to cure laryngitis, but what if we say that the essential oils for laryngitis are the best?!?
Read on to know the top essential oils that heal the condition faster and can give you back your sweet voice sooner than you expect
People with a sore throat, having an infection caused by viruses or bacteria are more prone to develop the condition of laryngitis. There is a considerate difference between sore throat (infection in the pharynx) and laryngitis (infection in the larynx). It is usually cured in 3 weeks.
Top 5 Essential Oils for Laryngitis
Here are the top essential oils for laryngitis with numerous health benefits. These essential oils contain potent anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiseptic, and antioxidant properties. Read on to know a lot more about these essential oils and how to use them effectively.
Inhaling the vapors of rosemary essential oil is incredibly curative for bacterial laryngitis(1), viral laryngitis, and sore throat. The vapors reach the throat and inhibit toxic bacterial action, inflammation, and infection. The aroma of rosemary oil is also refreshing, which will revive the respiratory tract.
The warmth of the vapors soothe the soreness and pain of the throat and bring about a visible improvement in the production of voice and sound from the larynx. Read on to know how to use rosemary oil for laryngitis.
- A teaspoon of rosemary essential oil
- 2 cups of hot water
- Boil the water and transfer it into a bowl
- Add a teaspoon of rosemary oil to the hot water
- Inhale the volatile and fragrant water vapor before going to bed at night
- Use a towel to cover your head and the bowl and ensure that the vapor does not escape.
Repeat it regularly for the natural cure of laryngitis.
[Read: Natural Remedies for Laryngitis]
2. Thyme Oil
Thyme essential oil is considered the best oil for treating throat infections, including laryngitis. Thyme oil enhances circulation, which then, by default, helps with swelling. As it helps with swelling, hence it eases the pain caused by swelling too.
Also, thyme oil is known for its excellent aroma and bacteria-fighting properties which, you need while having a sore throat(2). Hence, the oil helps in speeding up the process of healing.
- 2 drops of thyme oil
- A pinch of salt
- 2 cups of water
- Pour the water in a bowl, add salt and thyme oil in it
- Stir the solution well
- Gargle the solution for few 30 seconds
You should repeat it 2-3 times a day
- Take a cotton ball and soak it in the few drops of thyme oil
- Place it near your nose
- You can also keep it in your chest pocket
- Let it stay until aroma vanishes
- Repeat this at least once daily
[Read: Natural Remedies for Strep Throat]
3. Eucalyptus Oil
The potent antibacterial and antiseptic properties of eucalyptus oil fight pain and prevent cancer cell developments. The oil is widely used in cosmetics, cleaning, and alternative medicine. Some studies have suggested its use as a natural antibiotic to treat laryngitis and sore throat.
Inhaling the vapors of eucalyptus oil through the steam will have similar effects in clearing up the air passages and giving relief from laryngitis symptoms.
- 4-5 drops of eucalyptus oil
- A large towel
- A bowl of hot water
- Add the eucalyptus oil to the water
- Cover your head with a towel and inhale the steam for about 10-15 minutes
- Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil and a tablespoon of coconut oil an mix well
- Massage the oil onto the throat, chest, and back
- Leave this on overnight
Repeat it twice a day to heal a sore throat naturally.
4. Ginger Oil
Ginger oils treat the infections with its potent antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and antioxidant properties. The oil can help in your case of swelling of any region near a sore throat. Eventually, I clean the track for you. According to research, ginger’s anti-inflammatory abilities may help relieve throat pain effectively than any other oils.
- 8 drops of ginger oil
- 2 tbsp of carrier oil (coconut oil or jojoba oil)
- Add the ginger oil and carrier oil in a bowl
- Mix the solution well
- Apply the oil mixture to the skin of your throat
Do this once daily for a quicker healing process
[ Read: Treat Laryngitis with These Effective Home Remedies ]
5. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is the most popular essential oils for treating laryngitis. The inhalation of peppermint essential oil vapors through the nose and mouth is highly beneficial for laryngitis and sore throat. The vapors flow down deep into the throat and thwart bacterial action, infection, inflammation, and burning sensation in the throat.
As per studies, peppermint oil has antimicrobial properties that work against pathogens that enter the body through the mouth. Also, the menthol in peppermint oil is the base ingredient of many sore throat medications.
- 2 tbsp of peppermint essential oil
- 2-3 cups of Plain water
- Boil the water and transfer into a large bowl
- Add the peppermint oil to the hot water in the bowl
- Inhale the aromatic steam and water vapor before going to bed at night and again after waking up in the next morning
- Use a towel to cover your head and the bowl so that the steamy vapor does not escape into the surroundings
- Do not eat or drink anything at least for an hour after the inhalation
Repeat this effective remedy daily for faster results
By limiting alcohol and caffeine, avoiding spicy foods, smoking, and drinking plenty of water can reduce the symptoms of laryngitis. The magical essential oils for laryngitis are wondrously discussed above and do not cause any harm to your throat.
These essential oils work well to cure laryngitis faster and provide relief from a croaky voice. But make sure that you don’t apply the essential oil directly to your skin or throat. Embrace the natural health benefits of these essential oils and sing like a Rockstar.
[Read: Essential Oils for Sore Throat]
1. How Can You Prevent the Condition of Laryngitis?
By avoiding intake of spicy foods, limiting alcohol and caffeine, avoid smoking, drinking plenty of water, and including whole grains, fruits, and vegetables in your diet, one can prevent the condition of laryngitis.
2. What Are Effective Home Remedies for Laryngitis?
The incredible home remedies for laryngitis include apple cider vinegar, onion syrup, lemon & honey, ginger tea, licorice root, saltwater gargle recipe, and raw garlic.
3. When Suffering from Laryngitis, in How Many Days Can You Get Your Voice Back?
With proper treatment, laryngitis should go away in more than 3 weeks. Hence you get your voice back in 1 week itself. But you have to go for treatments to stop it from happening or make it go away faster.