A clean, glowing skin, devoid of any hair is what everyone wants. But things aren’t that easy. The tiny red bumps always come in the way and ruin the look. These red bumps caused after shaving are known as razor bumps. If you frequently get these embarrassing bumps, then instead of stressing out, know how to get rid of razor bumps quickly at home.
What are Razor Bumps?
Razor bumps are small bumps that appear on the skin after shaving. These are red and look similar to pimples. The minor shaving bumps can create a lot of trouble if not taken care of properly. These red razor bumps after shaving can grow sore, can get infected or can also develop into a permanent scar.
What causes Razor Bumps?
Razor bumps occur due to shaving. You can get razor bumps on the face, neck, genital area, etc. At times when you shave, the hair might curl back and start growing in the skin. It irritates the follicle of hair that swells forming a red bump.
What are the different types of razor bumps?
- Extrafollicular: In this, the growth of hair occurs into the skin without exiting it at all.
- Transfollicular: In this, the growth of hair is outwards and then curls back and renters the skin.
How long do razor bumps last?
Generally, razor bumps last for about a week. They clear on their own unless you pick them or further irritate them that may lead to infected razor bumps. You can follow simple home remedies for how to get rid of razor bumps to quicken the process.
How to shave without getting Razor Bumps?
- Buy a good double edge
- Prepare your skin and exfoliate after shaving
- Use a good shaving cream
- Shave uniformly in the direction of hair growth
- Calm the area with a cold compress
- Moisturize after shaving
How to get rid of Razor Bumps?
The razor bumps can be irritating and troublesome especially the razor bumps on pubic area. Using the right shaving technique is the best way to prevent the annoying bumps. However, if you still develop them, then follow some natural remedies for how to get to rid of razor bumps. These remedies are natural to use and effectively clear razor bumps on neck, face, etc. These can even help you get rid of the genital razor bumps.
1. Foods that help in getting rid of Razor Bumps
Lemon is the ultimate food for clearing razor bumps
Lemon comes to rescue those looking for how to heal razor bumps. The red bumps caused after shaving are quite common but not pleasant to view. These ruin all your efforts for getting clear and beautiful skin. Thus, if you are looking for how to get rid of razor bumps, then you need not go far. Just head to your kitchen and grab a lemon.
How to use?
- Take a lemon and squeeze out the fresh lemon juice
- Dip a cotton ball in the fresh lemon juice
- Smear the liquid on the area with razor bumps using a cotton ball
- Leave it for some time to dry
- After that, wash the area with lukewarm water.
Benefits of using lemon juice
Lemon juice is quite useful in healing razor bumps as well as preventing them. The acidic, antifungal and antibacterial properties avoid the build-up of bacteria. It kills the microbes that may cause infection. It also promotes skin healing. Lemon has bleaching properties that lighten the skin and also prevents scarring because of razor bumps. Apply lemon juice post shaving to avoid razor bumps.
2. How to get rid of Razor Bumps through Herbal Treatments?
Got Razor bumps on Vag? Do not know what to do and how to cure them. You need not panic as the annoying razor bumps on the vagina can be treated with the following herbal treatments.
Heal razor bumps through White Tea
White tea is one amongst the most effective natural remedies to treat razor bumps. The magical beverage comes with numerous benefits that help in treating various health conditions. And yes, you can use it to cure the annoying razor bumps too!
How to use?
- Take a white tea bag and dip it in a cup of lukewarm water
- After some time take out the tea bag straining out excess water
- Place the tea bag on the affected area for around two to three minutes
- Dab the area dry
- Repeat the process twice a day to see quick results
Benefits of using white tea
White tea(1) is an effective remedy that treats the razor warts fast. It is because the drink contains tannic acid which has strong anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the skin and reduce the redness. The remedy also reduces the swelling and the pain that occurs because of razor bumps.
Soothe the awful razor bumps using aloe vera
Whenever facing any skin trouble, you can always turn to aloe vera. It is the answer to most of the skin issue including razor bumps. The redness that occurs because of razor bumps on the face can garner you unwanted attention, use the magical aloe vera to get rid of the redness overnight. It is one of the most effective remedies to solve your razor bumps troubles.
How to use?
- Cut a leaf from the aloe vera plant
- Extract the gel from the leaf by removing the thick, flat layer
- Apply the fresh gel on the area with tiny red bumps
- Leave it for some time to dry
- Wash the area with cold water
- Pat dry with a soft towel
- Repeat the process two to three times a day to see results
Benefits of using Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel is the best remedy for how to get rid of razor bumps. Application of the gel has a soothing effect on your skin. It reduces the irritation and inflammation caused due to ingrown hair after shaving. Further, the antiseptic and antiviral properties of the plant will prevent the build-up of germs and bacteria that may cause an infection.
Also, Mucopolysaccharides present in aloe vera gel moisturize the skin and keep it hydrated to avoid further irritation.
Whenever you use any herbal treatment, make sure the ingredients are herbal that are devoid of chemicals. Usage of fresh ingredients is the best if you are using aloe vera gel. If you are using any counter products like white tea, make sure to check the expiry date before using it.
3. How to treat Razor bumps using essential oils?
Essential oils are powerful chemical extracts that you get from plants. These are potent and have become quite famous for their innumerable uses. One such use of essential oils is the treatment of razor bumps.
Tea Tree Oil for clearing razor bumps
Use Tea tree oil(2) as a remedy for how to get rid of razor bumps. It has potent antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that make it quite useful in healing razor bumps. Infected razor bumps can also get treated by using tea tree oil remedy.
How to use?
- Mix a few drops of tea tree oil in a tablespoon of carrier oil
- You can use olive oil as a carrier oil
- Soak a cotton ball in the blend
- Apply the mixture using a cotton ball on the bumps
- Leave it for around ten to fifteen minutes
- After that, rinse the area with warm water
- Repeat this remedy two times a day to see significant results
Benefits of using tea tree oil
Regular application of tea tree oil reduces the inflammation and irritation of the skin thus decreasing the redness. Further, its antibacterial nature kills the bacteria that may cause infection. Also, the antioxidant properties of the tea tree oil promote cell regeneration that speeds up the skin’s healing process.
Please note that tea tree oil is quite potent and may cause skin irritation. It should always get used in a diluted form. Before using the remedy, do a skin patch test to check your skin’s sensitivity to the oil. Always start by taking a little amount of the oil.
4. How to get rid of Razor Bumps through Home remedies?
Use Milk and Cucumber Paste followed by Cornstarch
Your kitchen has all the magical ingredients that can treat various ailments including razor bumps. The irritation caused by the red bumps can be reduced easily by using substances that are readily available at home. Treat the razor bumps on bikini lines effectively with this potent remedy.
How to use?
- Peel a cucumber and puree it
- Add the cucumber puree in milk in the ratio 1:2
- Apply this mixture on the affected area
- Leave it for around twenty minutes and then wash it off
- After that, mix cornstarch in water to make a thick paste
- Apply the cornstarch paste on the area
- Keep it for twenty minutes and then wash the area
- After that, moisturize the area
Benefits of using milk cucumber paste and cornstarch
The cucumber and milk mask have soothing nature that calms the irritated area and reduce the redness. Further, cornstarch helps in reducing the itchiness. It also decreases the redness and shrinks the size of the bumps and aids in their quick healing.
5. How to get rid of Razor Bumps using natural Treatments?
How to prevent razor bumps through a cold compress?
Razor bumps on legs can be troublesome. Abnormal redness makes you want to cover your legs. However, tight clothing might further irritate them and worsen the condition. Thus, you need to be careful while shaving. If you feel a burning sensation and some irritation after shaving, then immediately resort to cold compress.
How to use?
- Take a soft, clean towel
- Soak it in cold water
- Press the cloth gently on the irritated area after squeezing out the excess water
- Leave it for a minute and then again dip the towel in the cold water
- Repeat the process five times
- After that pat the region dry
- Apply a moisturizer
- Follow this remedy at least twice a day to calm the skin and prevent the razor bumps
Benefits of using Cold Compress
Improper shaving may irritate the skin that causes swelling and formation of bumps. A cold compress helps in calming the irritated skin and reduces itchiness. On pressing the cold compress against the surface of the skin. The nerve endings of the area get numb, thus easing the irritation.
Treat Razor bumps using Hot Compress
Another effective way to treat the red bumps caused after shaving is using a hot compress. It is a simple, quick and easy way to get rid of the ingrown hair that causes raised bumps. So what are you waiting for; try the hot compress remedy now.
How to use?
- Take a soft towel
- Dip the towel in hot water of a tolerable temperature
- Squeeze out the excess water from the cloth
- Dab the cloth on the affected area with gentle pressure
- Do it for at least two minutes and repeat the process five times
- Wipe the area dry
- Moisturize the skin
- You can use the hot compress treatment two times a day
Benefits of using a hot compress
While shaving, hair gets trapped in the skin causing razor bumps. It irritates the skin and causes swelling. Hot compress helps in minimizing razor bumps by opening the skin pores and freeing the trapped hair. As the hair comes out of the skin, you bump will eventually disappear(3).
Employing proper shaving technique prevents razor bumps. Before choosing any hair removal technique, it is necessary to prepare the skin for it to avoid the bumps. Razor bumps after waxing are also common because people do not carry out the proper technique. Exfoliation is necessary to open the pores and easy hair removal.
It is important to note that people who already have razor bumps must stay away from shaving until the bumps heal. Shaving when you already have razor bumps can cause a lot more damage to your skin.
Razor Bumps vs. Herpes
People often confuse razor bumps and herpes sores. But the difference between them is quite evident. Razor bumps occur due to skin irritation due to ingrown hair. These are small red bumps similar to pimples with a yellow center. On the other hand, sores developed due to herpes are blisters filled with a clear fluid. The herpes virus causes these blisters.
The red, irritated and swollen skin can be embarrassing. Men and women both may suffer from razor bumps after shaving. The red bumps whether on the face, legs or genital area may cause discomfort and are unsightly. These can hamper your confidence. The very first step to evade such a situation is to use a proper shaving technique. The bumps can be infectious too. Improper shaving may also lead to cuts and bruises.
Hence, you must follow the correct procedure, especially when shaving the gentle and sensitive areas like the vagina. If somehow you develop bumps then do not poke them as it will further worsen the condition and cause infection. Treat them using the remedies mentioned above.
These how to get rid of razor bumps remedies are easy to employ. These can quickly reduce the bumps and reduce redness and swelling caused due to them.