Have your new shoes caused a bubble on the skin which seems to get filled with fluid? These swollen things are nothing but blisters usually filled with serum. The blisters are undoubtedly troublesome, but help prevent further damage to your skin. If you want to know how to get rid of blisters easily, then here you get some of the best remedies.
What is a Blister?
A blister is a small bubble that appears on the skin. These get filled with fluid which can be serum, blood, plasma or pus depending on the cause of the formation of blisters. The blisters act like a protective layer on the skin that prevents the deeper layers from getting damaged.
What causes Blisters?
- Friction: Constant skin abrasion while walking, running or rubbing of skin against a hard surface.
- Chemicals: Exposure to certain chemicals like cosmetics, solvents, stings, detergents, etc.
- Temperature: Blisters occur due to burns as well as frostbite.
- Pinching: In case a blood vessel near the surface of your skin gets ruptured, the leaked blood in between the skin layers may cause a blister.
- Medical conditions: Certain medical conditions like Eczema, chickenpox, herpes, etc. are also known to cause blisters.
What are the Different Types of Blisters?
Blisters are of three kinds
- Blood blisters
- Friction blisters
- Heat Blisters
Besides them, there are several other blisters like shingles blisters, poison ivy blisters, diabetic blisters, etc.
[Also Read: Natural Cures For Blood Blisters]
Why Do Blisters Form?
Blisters are pockets filled with a watery liquid that seeps out due to repeated rubbing or pressure on the skin. The inflammation causes a tear in the top layers resulting in a gap filled by fluids. The liquid fills the space and protects the deeper layers from damage.
What do Friction Blisters Look Like?
Friction blisters occur mostly on the feet and hand. These are soft to touch and filled with fluid. These may be quite painful and may even be filled by blood in case your blood vessels have got damaged.
How to Get Rid of Blisters without Popping Them?
Doctors generally advise not to pop blisters as the blisters protect your skin from further damage and prevent the entry of bacteria and other germs. If your blister is painful and is causing much discomfort, then you can try home remedies for how to get of blisters.
These accelerate your skin healing process and even prevent the blister scar that usually develops on popping blisters. Here are the remedies that you can try at home with ease:
1. Treat Blisters with the Help of Foods
How to use Honey to Treat Blisters?
Blisters may also occur due to several health conditions, and one such situation is diabetes. Yes, diabetes may cause sudden appearance of blisters. These are diabetic blisters and are also known as diabetic bullae. The blisters are harmless and go away with time. However, these leave behind scars. If you wish to treat these blisters and prevent the wounds, then try using honey.
How to use?
- Clean the area with blisters
- Apply raw honey directly on the area
- Let it dry and then wash off
Benefits of honey
Raw honey has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that quicken the healing of the blisters. Honey is said to be an effective treatment for treating the blisters. You must repeat this remedy daily to see the results.
Foods to eat
Eat foods rich in L-lysine to heal blisters
Fever blisters or blisters formed due to cold sores can be treated by adding foods rich in L-lysine. L-lysine is an amino acid that counters the effect of L-arginine which is an acid required for the herpes virus to replicate. Include the following-
- Dairy products like milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.
- Chicken and eggs
Foods to avoid
2. Heal Blisters with Herbal Treatment
How to get rid of Blisters in the Mouth with Tulsi Leaves?
Tulsi(1) is quite famous for its therapeutic properties. Ayurvedic medicine uses tulsi for treating various ailments. You can also use it for managing blisters on tongue and mouth.
How to use?
- Take five to six fresh tulsi leaves
- Chew them for some time
- Drink water to swallow the leaves
- Repeat this process daily to treat the blisters in the throat
Benefits of tulsi leaves
Tulsi possesses anti-bacterial, Anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that help to manage a blister from its root. It is a magic ingredient to get benefit from blisters.
How to Heal blisters with Green Tea?
Green Tea due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties counts among the best natural remedies to get relief from blisters.
How to use?
- Take Green Tea extract
- Mix it with a carrier Oil like almond oil or coconut oil
- Apply the blend directly on the blisters
- Dip a green tea bag in cold water
- Squeeze out excess water and place the bag on the blister
- Repeat the process to clear the blister
Benefits of green tea
It can provide you relief from tiny blisters on fingers. Application of Green tea fastens the healing process by promoting cell regeneration.
Use fresh tulsi leaves and not rotten or withered. Wash it properly before consumption. While using green tea extracts, make sure that it gets used in a diluted form. A regular application of tea tree oil aids in quick healing of the skin. The remedy is also beneficial for those looking for how to prevent blisters from worsening.
3. Use of Essential Oils for Blisters
Use Tea Tree Essential Oil for Blisters
Essential oils are a potent remedy to treat blisters for those looking for how to get rid of blisters on hands.
How to use?
- Add few drops of tea tree oil in a carrier oil like coconut oil
- Soak a cotton ball in the blend
- Apply the mixture on the blister with the cotton ball
- Add tea tree oil to water
- Use the solution as an antibacterial wash
Benefits of tea tree oil
The potent anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties of the tea make it an effective remedy to heal blisters. Application of the tea tree oil(2) quickens the healing process and further ensures that your blister remains free of infection.
Always use the tea tree oil after mixing it with a carrier oil. A concentrated oil may aggravate the condition.
4. Treat the Blisters with Home Remedies
How to Heal Blister with Castor Oil?
The water blisters on feet can be quite troublesome. These may inhibit your movement and cause a lot of trouble. Looking for how to get rid of blisters on feet quickly? Use castor oil treatment for alleviating your blister troubles.
How to use?
- Pour a few drops of castor oil on a cotton ball
- Apply the oil using the cotton ball directly on the blister
- Leave it overnight
- Castor oil will dry the blister and aid in its healing
- Alternatively, you can mix castor oil with apple cider vinegar to fasten the process
Benefits of castor oil
Castor oil is one of the best oils for skin. It helps to dry the blister and reduce the fluid that is present in it. After it dries up, castor oil helps to heal the blister along with lowering the scar.
How to get relief from blisters using Aloe vera gel?
Aloe vera(3) is a powerhouse of multiple nutrients and has numerous benefits. Regular application of aloe vera several times will quicken the healing process and relieve you from the blister. It also helps in treating the rash with blisters that may accompany it at times.
How to use?
- Cut a leaf of aloe vera plant
- Squeeze out the gel from the leaf
- Apply this fresh gel on the blister directly
Benefits of Aloe Vera Gel
From treating various ailments to nourishing your skin and hair, aloe vera finds many uses. You can even use it to heal the blisters on lips. The soothing properties of the plant reduce the inflammation and quicken the healing. It is a natural remedy with no side-effects.
Use fresh aloe vera gel if possible. If you are procuring it from a leaf, make sure you use it immediately and not the other day.
5. Heal the Blisters with Natural Treatments
How to Treat Blisters on Feet using Epsom Salt?
Soaking your feet is an excellent remedy for how to get rid of blisters on toes and feet. It is a great way to unwind yourself and ease the pressure on your feet caused due to uncomfortable footwear.
How to use?
- Pour some warm water in the bucket
- Add to it Epsom salt
- Soak your feet in the water and relax
Benefits of Epsom salt
There are numerous benefits of soaking your feet in the water. It keeps your feet clean thus preventing infection in blisters. Further, it rejuvenates you after a long tiring day.
So, these were the effective home remedies to treat blisters. If your blisters are creating trouble and you are looking for how to get rid of blisters quickly, then try the treatments mentioned above. These accelerate the healing process of the skin so that the blister reduces with time. Bid farewell to all your blister worries with these remedies that are easy, cost-effective with no side-effects.