If your skin appears to be infected and feels sore, then you might be affected with scabies. It is a dermatological disease that is caused by tiny mites that burrow into the skin and wreak havoc with the epidermal layer. Read on to find out more about scabies, its causes and symptoms, and lastly a handful of incredible home remedies for scabies.
What is Scabies?
Scabies is a dermatological disease that is inflicted by the infection caused by the Sarcoptesscabieimite. The mite works by infestation followed by the invasion of the skin by burrowing into its outer layer, thereby manifesting in the form of red and painful rashes by night.
Scabies is an infectious dermatological disorder that can spread rapidly through physical contact. The best way of prevention of scabies is by the elimination of mites through efficient home remedies for scabies(1).
What causes Scabies?
Scabies is caused by the mites that penetrate through the outer layer of the dermis and create a small tunnel where they lay their eggs. These eggs hatch to deliver a litter of larvae that mature and spread to other parts of the skin. The itching sensation gets triggered by the allergic reaction of the body to the bug bites, larvae, bug excreta, and eggs.
Also Read: Natural Methods to Stop Itching
What are the symptoms of Scabies?
The general scabies symptoms include the following.
- The appearance of rashes all over the affected areas of the skin
- Strong itching sensations, especially at night
- The presence of the thin and irregular line of burrowing tracks along the surface in the form of rashes and blisters
- The usual areas of skin that are affected include fingers, armpits, arms, wrists, encompassing the waist, elbows, breasts, genital areas, knees, of feet, scalp, and palms.
Where does Scabies come from?
The mites of scabies usually infest soiled bed linen and dirty clothes. The mites then enter the human host when he comes in direct physical contact with the unclean, mite-infested environment.
Top 5 Potent and Proven Natural and Home Remedies for Scabies
Follow through with the simple and effective home remedies for scabies given below for adequate healing of the dermatological condition.
Foods that are Remarkable as Home Remedies for Scabies
1. How to use milk cream for scabies on penis and scrotum?
Fresh and slightly chilled milk cream is a noteworthy home remedy for the cure of scabies in humans, scabies on legs, and scabies on babies.
How to use?
- Smear scabies with chilled milk cream.
- Let the milk cream sit on it for about an hour
- Do this twice or thrice a day on a daily basis for how to treat genital scabies
Benefits of using milk cream
The anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties of milk cream work in unison to heal the skin inflammation and inhibit the action of the mites. Topical application of chilled milk cream soothes the pain and skin irritation as well.
Make sure that the milk cream is fresh and thick enough for an even spread on the skin.
Foods to Eat
It is highly essential to eat foods that are good for skin health and general physiological functioning to keep such infections at bay.
- Vegetables and fruit
- Nuts and seeds
- Milk and other dairy products
- Meat, fish, and eggs
- Cereals with high fiber content
Foods to avoid
Studies have shown that consuming these foods tends to aggravate the condition.
- Junk foods
- Spicy foods
- Soft drinks and caffeinated drinks
- Foods high in unhealthy fats and sugar
Herbal Treatments to follow for Treating Scabies
1. How to use neem leaves for the cure of scabies in humans?
The use of neem leaves is highly effective amongst other home remedies for scabies on the legs and scabies on the face(2).
How to use?
- Take a bunch of neem leaves and soak them in a bowl of distilled water for some time.
- Grind the moistened leaves and add a pinch of powdered turmeric to the shredded leaves to make a paste.
- Apply a thick layer of the paste on the rashes and bumps
- Rinse the paste off after a few hours
- Do this twice a day for scabies on hands and legs to heal
- You can also use a paste of neem oil and powdered turmeric for how to cure scabies on babies and adults alike
Benefits of using Neem leaf
Neem leaf is renowned across the world for its remarkable antimicrobial properties. It is an ancient remedy for all kinds of skin infections and is profoundly beneficial for how to treat scabies on the elbow and legs.
If neem leaf induces skin irritation, then you need not follow this remedy.
Use Essential Oils as Home Remedies for Scabies
1. How to get rid of scabies on hands and legs by the use of tea tree essential oil?
Tea tree essential oil is one of the most effective essential oils for scabies on feet(3).
How to use?
- Mix a teaspoon of tea tree essential oil with two tablespoons of olive oil
- Smear the oil mixture in the tracks of blisters and rashes
- Do this on a daily basis for scabies on the genitalia
Also Read: How to Get Rid of Blisters Naturally
Benefits of using tea tree essential oil
The antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties of tea tree essential oil make it incredibly beneficial for the effective cure of scabies on penis and scabies on the scrotum. The naturally analgesic nature of tea tree essential oil aids in the alleviation of the burning sensation and itchiness and heals the skin naturally.
Make sure that your skin is not too sensitive to tea tree essential oil by conducting a patch test on skin before applying it to scabies.
2. How to use peppermint essential oil for the cure of scabies on the thighs, hands, and legs?
Peppermint essential oil is one of the most effective essential oils for scabies
How to use?
- Mix a few drops of peppermint essential oil with a tablespoon of coconut oil
- Smear the oil mixture all over the infected area
- Do this on a daily basis to cure the scabies infection
Benefits of using peppermint essential oil
Peppermint essential oil is rich in menthol that is highly essential for soothing burning sensation felt during scabies. Menthol is anesthetic and anti-inflammatory in nature. Topical application of diluted peppermint essential oil to the infected skin can help with the alleviation of the burning sensation and cure the inflammation of the skin.
Do a patch test with peppermint essential oil to ensure that your skin is not sensitive to it.
Home Remedies for Scabies
1. How to treat scabies on the elbow and hands with the use of apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best natural remedies of scabies.
How to use?
- Fill a cup with equal quantities of water and apple cider vinegar to prepare the solution
- Dip a cotton swab in the solution
- Brush the soaked cotton swabs along the burrowing tracks of the mites with slight pressure
- Leave the apple cider vinegar on your skin for a few minutes until it becomes dry
- Rinse the area with lukewarm water
- Do this on a daily basis until scabies on feet disappears.
Benefits of using apple cider vinegar
The application of apple cider vinegar helps in fighting the infection and inflammation of the skin. It balances the pH value of the surface, and its acidic nature is powerful enough to inhibit the larvae cycle of the Sarcoptesscabiei mites.
The apple cider vinegar needs to get diluted with water before use. Direct application of the vinegar might be acid for the skin.
Natural Treatments for Scabies
1. How to use Epsom salt bath to cure scabies on babies and adults?
Epsom salt bath is significantly therapeutic and is highly effective for how to get rid of scabies.
How to use?
- Fill a bathtub with lukewarm water
- Pour a cup of Epsom salt into it
- Bathe yourself for about 15-20 minutes.
- Do this on a daily basis.
Benefits of Epsom salt bath
The high magnesium content of Epsom salt can accelerate the healing process of scabies.
If you are allergic to Epsom salt, then you should avoid this remedy.
What are the Precautions to be taken for Scabies?
The first step of the prevention of scabies is the elimination of mites. But do you know how to get rid of the mites? Here’s how.
- Rinse the bed linen such as mattresses, pillow covers, bedsheets, blankets, etc. thoroughly with soap, hot water, and mild disinfectants.
- If you notice any mite or eggshell in your bed, call the pest control professional immediately for service.
- Do not come in physical contact with a person who is already suffering from scabies.
- Keep your environment clean and hygienic.
The home remedies for scabies described here can undoubtedly address the pain and itchiness and cure the dermatological infection inflicted upon your skin by the deadly mites. The home remedies are simple and incredibly useful. However, if the infection persists for long, or if the pain and itchiness become unbearable then do not hesitate from consulting with a physician.