A random itch or two is normal and harmless, but persistent itching sensations can be troublesome and scarring too. Our skin is the only part of the body that gets continuously exposed to pollution and external irritation. This contamination induces allergic reactions that result in itchy skin sensations referred to as Pruritus. Read on to know how to stop itching using simple natural methods.
The itchy skin rash is a defense mechanism of the body that alerts the brain to the manifestation of pathogenic invasion and physical harm like bug bites, dust, etc.
How does the initiation of itching all over the body take place?
An external stimulus usually induces the initiation of itching sensation. The external factor brushes against the outer layer of the skin causing a sense of irritation in the dermal receptors. The receptors transmit a signal via the skin fibers to the spinal cord and the cerebral cortex area of the brain.
The brain then signals the urge to scratch the itchy skin area. When these itchy sensations persist for long, it becomes tremendously irritating. If you are wondering how to stop itching, then you need to know that itchy skin is a dermatological condition that can be treated with simple home remedies for itching as described right here.
- Inflammation of skin or dermatitis
- Allergic reactions to food
- Allergic reactions to chemical cosmetics
- Infection of the skin caused due to candida
- An injury caused to the skin
- Diaper Rashes
- Corns and calluses on fingers and toes cause itchy palms and itchy feet
- Bug stings and bites
- Allergic eczema
- An infestation of body lice, ringworms, pinworms, etc.
- Infestation of head lice
- Last stage of diseases like pox, measles, etc.
- Skin and scalp psoriasis
- Contact of skin with poison ivy
- Redness of skin
- The appearance of bumps, blisters, rashes, and hives
- Dryness of the affected area of skin
- Development of a scaly texture of the skin
How to Stop Itching with Natural Remedies?
CURE 1: Foods
The powerful humectant nature of raw honey is incredibly beneficial for the cure of itchy face and itchy skin rash(1).
How to use it?
- Rinse the itchy face and itchy palms with plain water
- Pat your face and hands dry
- Fill a container with a few tablespoons of raw honey and heat it for a few seconds.
- Massage your face and skin with the warmed honey for about 3-5 minutes
- Rinse your face and hands after about half an hour
- Do this in every few hours for the dry, itchy skin and itchy neck to heal
Benefits of using raw honey
Topical application of natural honey locks in the moisture and helps to hydrate the skin. The antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties of honey make it highly effective in suppressing the different symptoms of itching all over the body.
Below are the listed foods to eat and avoid to get rid of the Itching:
Foods to eat
Foods to avoid
|Oily fish||Cow’s milk|
|Chicken or meat broth||Nuts|
CURE 2: Herbal Treatment
Mint leaves are a rich source of the biochemical compound named menthol. Menthol is anesthetic and anti-inflammatory in nature.
How to use it?
- Fill a saucepan with about half a liter of water
- Put a bunch of fresh and crisp mint leaves in the water
- Boil the leaves in the water for a few minutes
- Cover the saucepan and let it simmer down for some time
- Strain out the greenish liquid using a filter
- Your mint infusion is ready
- Dip a cotton swab in the mint infusion and dab the itchy areas with slight pressure
- Do this twice a day for the dryness and itchy sensations to dissipate
Benefits of mint leaves
Topical application of mint leaves to the dry, itchy skin can help with the alleviation of the burning sensation and cure the inflammation of the skin in a few hours.
While using mint leaves, make sure they are fresh and not rotten. And, use the infusion in a temperature that you can bear, possibly using a warm infusion is very beneficial.
CURE 3: Essential Oils
Peppermint Oil and Almond Oil
The menthol contained in peppermint oil is incredibly useful to stop itching. It is one of the best essential oils for itching. It so happens that the sides of the ears begin to feel itchy. Excessive use of cosmetic creams on the face, irregularity in cleaning the hair, the infestation of hair lice and dandruff are the reasons for which the area behind the ears become red and itchy(2).
If you are looking for a solution to stop itching, then try a few drops of peppermint essential oil combined with almond oil. The medium-chain fatty acids contained in almond oil helps to keep the skin naturally hydrated and supple. It also has anti-inflammatory and anti-histamine properties.
How to use it?
- Mix a few drops of peppermint essential oil with a tablespoon of almond oil
- Apply the oil mixture to the skin with gentle massaging
- Let it seep into the epidermis and soothe and hydrate your skin
- If you are itching all over the body, then massage your body with the oil mixture before taking a shower, and your skin will feel great.
Benefits of peppermint oil and almond oil
The analgesic and anesthetic properties of peppermint essential oil can cure the redness of the skin, numb the pain, dryness and itching sensation in no time. A precautionary measure for this remedy is to make sure that the oil does not enter the ears or the ear canal.
Always use the peppermint essential oil or any other essential oil by mixing it with a carrier oil. Do not apply it directly as it may cause inflammation. Doing a patch test is the best that you can do to save your skin from any damage.
CURE 4: Home Remedies
1. Aloe Vera Gel
The topical application of fresh aloe vera gel is an incredible method to stop itching.
How to use it?
- Take a fresh aloe vera leaf and slit its sides to extract its gel
- Add a few drops of olive oil to the aloe vera gel with slight stirring
- Apply the paste to the breasts, face, neck and other affected regions of the body with gentle massaging
- Let it sit for about a couple of hours
- Rinse your skin with cooled water.
- Do this on a regular basis to stop itching the itchy feet, itchy palms and itchy breasts
Benefits of aloe vera gel
The cooling nature of the gel heals the itchy skin rash, soothes the burning and itchy sensations and nourishes the epidermis. The anti-inflammatory property of aloe vera gel cures breast itching, nipple itching, itching ears, and itchy back, hydrates the dryness of skin, suppresses the skin inflammation, and curbs the skin irritation.
It also helps to keep the skin supple and soft. Besides, being rich in vitamin E, aloe vera gel is highly beneficial for the healthy glow of the skin.
It is recommended to use fresh gel extracted from the leaf for any topical application. But make sure that after plucking the leaf, use it the same day.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the most effective natural remedies for vaginal itching(3) and anal itching. Genital itching occurs due to dryness of the area, sweating, inflammation of the skin, allergic reactions to underwear fabric and other such factors.
How to use it?
- Rinse the dry, itchy skin with lukewarm water
- Pat the skin dry with a soft towel
- Apply the coconut oil to the surface with gentle massaging
- Let the oil seep into the epidermis and soothe and hydrate your skin
Benefits of coconut oil
The essential fatty acids present in coconut oil are non-inflammatory. The anti-histamine biochemical compounds present in coconut oil soothe the allergic reactions and alleviate the itchy sensations. The topical application of coconut oil to the genital regions helps in fighting against the inflammation and dryness of skin and keeps it healthy and moisturized.
Always look for organic and pure coconut oil for application on the skin. Coconut oil is very safe for topical use but do a patch test if you have sensitive skin.
CURE 5: Natural Treatment
Exfoliation of the skin is one of the most excellent home remedies for itching. This method works by the elimination of dust and dead cells that cling to the epidermis and induce severe itching sensations and itchy skin rash.
If you are wondering to stop itching then try scrubbing off the external factors like dust and peeling skin that is causing the itchy sensations. The best agent of exfoliation of the skin is a tablespoon of Fuller’s Earth.
How to use it?
- Take a few teaspoons of fuller’s earth in a bowl
- Add a teaspoon each of yogurt and rose water to the fuller’s earth with a little stirring to form a coarse paste
- Apply the paste to the dry, itchy skin with slight scrubbing
- Scrub at the peeling skin and blisters with care so that the skin does not rupture and bleed
- Let the paste sit for about 30 minutes or until it gets dry.
- Rinse the paste off with water
- The dryness and itchy sensation will heal after the first round of massage with Fuller’s Earth
Benefits of Fuller’s earth
Scrubbing the skin with a paste of Fuller’s Earth helps in sloughing off the stubborn dead skin and dirt and rejuvenating the healthy glow of the skin.
Always look for alternative ingredients if you have sensitive skin. Do a patch test before proper application as yogurt might irritate your skin.
The natural remedies to stop itching are incredibly beneficial and leave no side effects on the skin. However, if the itchiness and allergies persist and become more painful over time, make sure to consult with a physician.
|The treatments listed in this article are available for purchase online.|