Kratom, also referred to as Mitragyna speciosa scientifically is an herbal supplement that has been used since time immemorial in the southern part of Asia for energy and to help cope with pain and aches.
This herbal elixir is derived from an evergreen tree and it contains mitragynine and 7-hydroxy mitragynine(1). These help in dealing with pain in low doses.
However, in high doses, it tends to act as an opiate. Hence, it is strongly recommended that you get the right dosage for you from your doctor. Also known as the biak or ketum, this drug falls under the stimulant category.
Why does It work?
Using Kratom for pain treatment can be highly effective. It is rich in alkaline compounds. These compounds include mitragynine and 7-hydroxy mitragynine.
As a result, it provides instant pain relief. Kratom works like an opioid alternative. These alkaloids bind with mu-opioid receptors in the brain, reducing the pain in patients. Technically, this makes Kratom work similarly to painkillers.
It reduces the perception of pain. However, it must be noted that Kratom does not treat the cause of pain. However, it may mitigate pain-related symptoms. For example, people might feel social anxiety or stress due to illness/disorder. The calming effect of kratom reduces anxiety and stress.
Similarly, those in pain may not be able to focus on their work. Kratom increases mental alertness. Thinking better helps to reduce anxiety, which may cause pain. Kratom for pain management has been used throughout human history(2).
Did You Know!
How to Use?
Before deciding the method of ingestion, it is essential to select the right Kratom for pain management. Making a wrong choice may actually aggravate the pain.
The most common method of intake is in the form of tea. The following recipe may be used to brew kratom tea.
- Make a regular cup of tea first. For this, boil one to two cups of water in a pan.
- Add your favorite tea ingredients. For example, ginger may be added to reduce inflammation. Inflammation could be one of the triggers of pain.
- You may add any essential oil for further pain relief. An example of this can be Bergamot oil or Lavender oil.
- Pour the hot mixture on Kratom powder. Stir the mix well. Now, reduce the dust and the solid residue of ginger.
- You may add honey to sweeten the tea. Honey also provides increased pain relief.
- Drink once or twice per day.
- If a sedating kratom is used, drink the tea at bedtime for better sleep and pain relief.
[ Read: 15 Kratom Benefits]
Kratom may be added to your traditional food for intake. For example, you may add Kratom to chocolate milk or desserts. However, it must be noted that Kratom has a strong flavor. Test smaller quantities before adding a reasonably large amount. Kratom powder has a coarse texture. You may use it with a thick juice. This juice makes swallowing easier.
Peach, orange, and mango juices are excellent choices for this purpose. Some people prefer to ingest it with water. They place kratom powder in their mouth and swallow it using water.
However, it is recommended to use only small quantities at a time, as Kratom can clog your throat. Vaping and smoking Kratom is another option. However, this option is not widely used. Native producers are used to chewing Kratom leaves(3).
[ Read: Kratom for Energy]
Side-Effects & Precautions
- It must be remembered that Kratom is not always beneficial.
- It can have extremely harmful effects on the fetus in the mother’s womb.
- Similarly, it may increase the heartbeat or even cause a seizure for heart patients.
- Generally, Kratom may get you high. Many deaths have been reported due to Kratom overdose.
- It can adversely affect your vital organs, including the liver and kidney.
It is highly recommended that you consult your doctor before starting regular Kratom treatment.
Using Kratom for pain management is a useful option if the treatment is done adequately. Kratom is readily available and is quite inexpensive.
As a result, most patients can afford the remedy. At the same time, Kratom can provide instant pain relief for chronic pain. This relief even works for cancer patients. The suitability of Kratom for each person depends on their health condition. If suitable, Kratom can be an effective pain reliever.
[ Read: Kratom for Anxiety ]
1. What is the recommended Kratom dosage for pain relief?
It is recommended to keep the dosage initially low. This low dosage prevents the body from forming tolerance. You may check-in with your physician for the exact amount.
2. Can people with heart disease use Kratom?
It is recommended for heart patients to avoid Kratom. Kratom can cause heart attacks due to increased heartbeats.
3. What Kratom is best for pain?
Red Bali and Malay Kratom are the most effective for pain management.