Our eyes are our windows to see the world around us. Imagine a world without eyes, and you won’t see any light. But they are one of the sensitive organs of your body. Changing lifestyle has made eye problems widespread. Healthy eyes are a concern for many people today. These problems may range from short-term strains to total vision impairments. Itchy eyes, red eyes, eye strain, puffy or swollen eyes cause significant discomfort. Besides medical care, natural remedies can help in taking care of your eyes and preventing problems. Use Castor oil for eyes and heal them naturally and effectively.
- Types of Eye Problem
- Causes and Symptoms of Eye Problems
- Types of Castor Oil
- Benefits of Castor Oil
- Usage of Castor oil
- DO’s and DON’Ts
- Precautions and Side Effects
- Other Natural Remedies
Types of eye problems:
Eyes can face various problems starting from temporary strain to total vision loss. Some of the most common eye-related issues are:
- Red eyes
- Itchy eyes
- Eye strain
- Age-related macular degeneration
- Diabetic eye problems
- Eye infections/allergies
- Other eye-related diseases
Causes of eye problems:
Many factors may lead to issues that concern the eyes. As the problem varies, so do the causes. Some of the most common causes leading to eye related issues are:
- Environmental factors like overexposure to the sun or smoke, pollution, temperature variations etc.
- External causes like straining of the eyes due to overuse or overexertion (includes long hours of working on the phones, computers etc.)
- Using certain kind of medications like tranquilizers, diuretics, antihistamines, antidepressants etc.
- Injuries in or around the eye
- Bacterial, fungal, viral or parasitic infections leading to inflammation and other issues
- Genetically inherited eye diseases like glaucoma, macular degeneration etc.
- Diseases such as migraine or diabetes may also lead to eye diseases.
Symptoms of eye-related problems:
Our eyes need attention and care. Following are the symptoms related to eye issues which should not be ignored:
- Hazy or blurred vision
- Red eyes
- Swollen eyes
- Severe or sudden eye pain
- Recurrent pain inside or around the eye
- Double vision
- Changes in vision
Types of Castor oil:
Castor Oil is available in various forms in the market. These forms differ from each other in matters of their composition, extraction, and concentration. These include:
- Black Castor Oil
- American Castor Oil
- Organic Castor Oil
- Cold Pressed Castor Oil
Each type of Castor Oil serves its purposes. They have various applications related to skin, eyes and hair.
For the eyes, 100% organic oil which is hexane free(1), sterile and has not undergone any extraction process is preferred and suggested by healthcare experts.
Cold Pressed Castor Oil is the best type of castor oil for your eyes. It is obtained by pressing the organic castor seeds without the application of heat on them. This oil has got the maximum nutrients and utility for eye-related problems. Cold pressed Castor Oil comes in 2 forms: refined and unrefined. Refined Castor oil does not have any impurities in it. It is suggested to consult your healthcare expert first and know which type of castor oil to use.
Castor Oil Benefits for Eyes
- Castor Oil has various properties that help you with ailments related to the eye.
- Castor Oil has a good of fatty acids and other antioxidants that are highly beneficial for the eyes.
- The anti-inflammatory nature of this oil helps in the reduction of the redness and swelling of the eyes.
- Castor oil is successful in treating swollen eyes, puffy eyes, itchy eyes, red or bloodshot eyes, and irritated eyes.
- Castor oil encourages the lipids and hence, heals the allergies related to the eyes.
- It is also believed to supplement the treatment of Cataract that comes as a great relief to many patients around the world.
- Using Castor Oil for dark circles helps in enhancing the beauty of the eyes and the face.
Not only this, Castor oil has got healing properties, and it absorbs dirt from the skin, thereby leaving your skin fresh and clean. This property of Castor oil helps in removing under dark eye circles, soothing the skin and reducing wrinkles and fine lines around the eyes naturally and effectively.
How to use Castor oil for eyes?
- The first and most important step is to consult your healthcare expert about the problem, the type of oil and the right proportion to be used in a particular case.
- For instant relief from dry, itchy or red eyes, use the drops of Castor oil directly into your eyes.
- It is best to use this just before going to bed.
- Make sure that your eyes are clean, dry and do not have any makeup on them.
- After this, tilt your head and put 1-3 drops (or as per the recommendation of your healthcare expert) of Castor oil into your eyes and blink for a couple of times.
- Close your eyes and then gently massage the areas around them.
- Make sure to maintain a gap of at least 12 hours before putting anything else inside your eyes, including makeup and contact lenses.
- For under eye dark circles or wrinkles, topical application of Castor oil can be used either alone or after blending it with other prescribed ingredients.
- 3-4 drops of Castor Oil, 3-4 drops of Almond Oil
Mix both the oils mentioned above and apply the mixture under and around your eyes without applying much pressure. After applying it, pat the skin of these areas for a few times using your ring finger gently. Keep this overnight to get rid of wrinkles and under eye bags.
DO’s and DON’Ts
- Make sure while purchasing that the cold compressed castor oil is hexane free and of the right quality.
- Do take a simple skin patch test before topical application of Castor Oil around your eyes.
- Do not use castor oil directly into your eyes without consulting your healthcare expert.
- Do not exceed the proportion of the oil as prescribed by the healthcare expert.
- Safety and sterility are essential issues concerning with any oil available in the market. Use the right castor oil for eyes which does not have any chemical additions.
- Store the oil in a glass container to prevent it from getting spoiled.
- Make sure not to exceed the proportion of the castor oil recommended else it may end up harming your eyes or skin.
In case, your eyes develop redness or irritation after the application of the oil, this may be an allergy or side effect of using the oil; although, it is not very frequent. It is best to do a patch test and check first. It is recommended to confirm with your healthcare expert before using it to know whether the castor oil is suitable and useful in your case or not.
Other natural/homemade remedies for eye problems
Aloe vera has got anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that help to alleviate sore eyes(2). Consult with your healthcare expert about the right way to use and see the positive impact that it brings.
What goes inside your stomach also has an impact on what happens to your eyes. One’s diet should be healthy and nutritious. Further, foods like almonds and Indian gooseberry (Emblica Officinalis) help to keep the eyes healthy.
A healthy lifestyle helps in cases of problems related to not only the eyes but also the overall health status of the body. Avoid over-exerting your eyes and also adopt healthy food and living habits. Further, exercises related to eyes help immensely.
Our eyes are delicate. Modern-day pharmaceuticals and eye drops may help you temporarily, but their chemical constituents are not very suitable in the long run. Castor oil solves this issue. It is not only natural but has very few side effects and many other extra benefits as well. Be a little cautious to consult your healthcare expert beforehand. Try Castor oil and help your eyes to regain the health that they need and rightly deserve.