Do your legs feel heavy when you sit for a long time or do your arms and feet swell and ache after prolonged use? This is a medical condition known as Edema.
One of the most common forms of Edema is diabetic Macular Edema, which results in the loss of eyesight due to the accumulation of fluid behind the retina. Pregnant women usually suffer from Edema, which can be cured by the administration of the home remedies for Edema.
Home Remedies for Edema
1. Compression Socks
Wearing compression socks is one of the most effective home remedies for Edema(1). It is readily available at online stores and local pharmacies.
The compression socks work to provide relief from the pain and swelling of Edema. The socks dispel excess accumulation of fluid and restore normalcy to the legs, feet, and ankles.
The compression socks are either light in weight, heavy or medium, so make sure that you select a pair that are not too tight or heavy for your body. Orthopedics recommend starting with the lightweight pair of compression socks for the Treatment of Edema.
Putting on and taking off the compression socks can be slightly tricky. Here are the steps that you need to follow:
- Turn the uppermost part of the compression socks inside out.
- Gently insert your foot into the toes of the compression socks. Slide the socks with gentle motion up along your legs, ensuring your heels are securely inside the socks.
- Avoid tugging at the top of the compression socks.
- While taking off the compression socks, slide it gently down your legs and off your toes. You will notice that your swelling and pain have disappeared.
You can wear the compression socks all day long and take them off before going to bed at night for curing Edema.
Elevate the swollen limb to a higher position to do away with the swelling and tenderness of the legs and arms. If you have Edema in your legs, then prop them up on an ottoman or a cushioned chair to make the pain go away.
You can also try a variety of yoga poses like lying straight on your back with the legs raised in the air and pressed against the wall. These poses help to drain out the fluid and reduce the swelling effectively.
Lay on the yoga mat with your back straight against the floor. Compress and stretch your legs and toes upwards, leaning on a wall. This will drain out the fluid, and the swelling will subside automatically.
Stretch your legs in the air for thirty seconds straight. Take a break for 15-20 seconds and then prop your legs up again. Repeat this set thrice daily to prevent and cure Edema.
An inactive lifestyle is one of the primary causes of Edema or swelling in the hands and feet. If you stand or sit for too long, your hands and feet might get swollen due to the accumulation of fluids.
Exercising daily for about thirty minutes twice a day will not only soothe the pain but will also drive out the swelling, tenderness, and other symptoms of Edema.
Wake up every day to a glass of water before. Later, begin with some freehand exercises that put stress on your arms and legs. Do some exercises in the evening as well for the natural treatment of Edema. Stick to a balanced diet to maximize the effectiveness of the activity.
The amount of exercise that you need depends upon the amount of physical stress that your body can take. If half an hour of activity seems too much for you, then you can reduce the time to 15-20 minutes. Do not miss out on the exercise sessions and also, drink plenty of water also.
4. Epsom Salt
The anti-inflammatory properties of Epsom salt(2) are highly beneficial for the natural treatment of the inflammation and swelling of Edema.
Washing the legs and hands in cold and refreshing Epsom salt water helps soothe the throbbing pain and helps in the drainage of the excess fluid as well.
- Fill a bathtub with plain water and pour a cup of Epsom salt into it. Dissolve the salt in the water.
- Bathe the legs and hands in an Epsom salt bath twice or thrice a day daily to cure Edema.
- Scrub your hands and feet with gentle pressure with the Epsom salt water to exfoliate the skin as well.
- Do not exceed the quantity of Epsom salt beyond a cup.
5. Magnesium Supplements
Taking magnesium supplements is one of the best home remedies for Edema. Add magnesium-rich foods to your diet to make the pain subside.
You can eat foods that are rich in magnesium or administer magnesium supplements to heal the different symptoms of Edema. Some of the healthiest foods that contain magnesium include pumpkin seeds, cashew nuts, tuna and salmon, dark green leafy vegetables, dark chocolate, and more.
Add about 200-400mg of magnesium to your diet for the cure of Edema.
6. Ginger Oil
Ginger oil contains gingerol, which is excellent for the natural alleviation of inflammation, swelling, and pain in the affected region.
- Massage the swollen area with warm ginger oil for about 10-15 minutes twice daily for the cure of Edema.
- Two tablespoons of ginger oil per day are sufficient for the cure of Edema.
Edema occurs because of severe or mild injuries which manifest in the form of swelling and tenderness. It can be painful and even affect movements adversely.
The legs and hands tend to feel heavy due to the accumulation of excess fluid. The home remedies for Edema are remarkably effective. These treatments help to drain out the excess fluid and make the pain disappear. Keep the tips of prevention in mind and exercise regularly to prevent and cure Edema.
1. How Can You Prevent Edema?
The best way to prevent Edema is to do regular physical exercise that keeps the hands and legs flexible and fit and does away with the accumulation of body fluids.
2. How Do Lifestyle Changes Help with Edema?
Here are a few changes that you can implement in your lifestyle to eliminate the painful signs of Edema.
- Quit smoking and say no to alcohol. Tobacco and alcohol are the primary causes of Edema.
- Do exercise daily for about thirty minutes for the prevention and cure of Edema. You can go swimming or take morning and evening walks as well.
- Adhere to a balanced diet and ditch junk food.
- Drink ten glasses of purified water throughout the day.
- Limit the intake of common salt as well.
- Go for a regular massage session for soothing the pain and swelling of Edema.
3. How Does Weight Loss Help with Edema?
Shedding the extra pounds with regular exercise and a balanced diet is an excellent way to cure Edema. Weight loss can do away with major causes of Edema like liver and kidney diseases that result in low levels of albumin – a protein that helps maintain fluid in the blood vessels.