Many of you might notice this. When you look at your feet or ankles once in a while, they may not look like yours. This happens peculiarly when you have been on a camp traveling a lot of time or it could be an after-effect of a surgery. This swollen foot condition is almost inevitable for pregnant women.
Swollen feet is not exactly a disease but a health issue which is an indicator of other ailments that can possibly surface. Though it is not something to press the panic button, swelling occurs due to the accumulation/retention of fluids in the tissues of lower legs, feet and ankles thus leading to edema. The swelling can be made to subside with the administration of natural treatments. Read on to find out more about how to reduce swelling in feet at home with simple remedies.
What causes swollen ankles, legs, and feet?
The cause of swelling in the feet is due to the accumulation of tissue fluids which leads to edema(1). If you are wondering on why my feet are swollen then note the different causes that include:
- Gain in excessive weight
- Standing or sitting with the legs suspended for a prolonged period
- Overuse of drugs, diuretics, and laxatives
- Excessive consumption of pregnancy control pills
- Varicose veins are what causes legs to swell from knees down
- Renal problems which cause retention of electrolytes
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Deficiency of nutrients
- Lack of movement and exercise
- Poor blood circulation in the feet
- Injuries like ankle sprains and twists
- Damage to the ligament
- Neuro-muscular issues
Symptoms of swollen feet and ankles
Swollen feet and ankles get associated with several different symptoms, some of which are listed below:
- Increase in blood pressure
- Headaches and dizziness
- Increased frequency of urination
- Increased rate of heartbeat
- Swelling in the hands
- Swollen and puffy eyes
- Gain in body weight
Top 5 home remedies on How to Reduce Swelling in Feet
1. How to reduce swelling in feet with foods that help naturally?
How to treat swelling in feet by using ginger?
One of the best how to reduce swelling in feet, swelling on ankles and right leg swelling home remedies is the administration of ginger.
How to use?
- Grate an inch of ginger and extract its juice
- Add a tablespoon of hot mustard oil to the grated ginger
- Massage your feet, ankles, right and left legs with the ginger-mustard oil
- Do this twice or thrice a day for how to reduce swelling in feet, legs, and ankles
Benefits of using ginger
The diuretic nature of ginger is highly beneficial for the natural treatment of swollen feet and legs. Massaging with ginger helps in the dilution of sodium which aids in the alleviation of swelling. The anti-inflammatory properties of ginger help to cure inflammation and pain of the swollen top of foot, legs, and ankles.
Make sure that the ginger and mustard oil mixture is not too hot otherwise the skin will get scalded.
Foods to eat
Incorporate the following foods into your diet for how to reduce swelling in knee, feet, and legs.
- Red bell peppers
- Green tea
Foods to avoid
Avoid the following foods for the natural treatment on how to reduce swelling in knee, feet, and legs.
- Canned food
- Junk food
- Processed food
- White bread
- Common salt
- Processed meat
- Foods high in sodium
2. How to reduce swelling in feet with Herbal Treatments?
How to get rid of swollen ankles fast by using dandelion?
The administration of dandelion is highly beneficial for the natural treatment of swollen ankles, lower leg swelling, one swollen ankle, and swollen left foot.
How to use?
- Add two teaspoons of fresh and dried leaves and flowers of dandelion to a cup of water
- Put the water on boil until the dandelion gets completely infused
- Let the infusion simmer down for about 5-7 minutes
- Add a teaspoon of honey to the dandelion infusion
- Drink freshly brewed dandelion tea twice a day for the natural cure of swollen feet and ankles in hot weather
Benefits of using dandelion
Dandelion is known for its diuretic properties that help in the metabolism and dissipation of tissue fluids. It also helps in the regulation of sodium and prevents the retention of excessive water in the body cells and aids in how to reduce swelling in feet.
Do not drink dandelion infusion if your gastrointestinal tract reacts adversely to it.
3. How to reduce swelling in feet with Essential Oil?
How to cure one swollen foot, swollen left foot, and others by using tea tree essential oil?
Tea tree essential oil is one of the most effective swelling in legs home remedies. Topical application of the diluted oil can treat swollen feet, ankles, and legs quickly and help you on how to reduce swelling in feet.
How to use?
- Add two teaspoons of tea tree essential oil to a tablespoon of mustard oil to make an oil mixture
- Massage your swollen feet with the oil mixture before going to bed at night
- Let the oil mixture seep in through your skin to work on the accumulated fluids
Benefits of using tea tree essential oil
Tea tree essential oil is highly beneficial for how to reduce swelling in knee and ankles. Massaging the swollen feet and legs with diluted tea tree essential oil helps in the draining out of the accumulated fluids. The massaging makes the swelling subside overnight. Its anti-inflammatory nature is incredibly useful for the natural cure for pain, inflammation, swelling, and redness of the affected area.
Conduct a patch test by applying the tea tree essential oil to an unaffected area of skin to test the sensitivity of skin to it. If your skin reacts with itchiness or irritation, then do not proceed with the remedy.
4. How to reduce swelling in feet with Home Remedies?
How to use apple cider vinegar for the cure of swollen feet by alcohol?
The use of apple cider vinegar is incredibly effective for the natural treatment of swollen feet, left ankle swelling, and swollen left foot caused by alcohol.
How to use?
- Mix a cup of apple cider vinegar with a cup of warm water to prepare a solution
- Soak a clean cloth in the solution
- Wrap the soaked cloth around the swollen part of your hands and feet
- Keep the swelling wrapped until the cloth turns cold
- Do this twice daily for the swelling to subside
- Alternatively, you can add two tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar to a glass of lukewarm water and drink the solution twice in a day to alleviate the swelling in feet
Benefits of using apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in potassium which is an electrolyte that aids in the regulation of fluid retention in the body. Drinking apple cider vinegar promotes internal cleansing of the body by stimulating the renal system to flush out toxins at an accelerated rate. The application of warm compress prepared with apple cider vinegar helps in the alleviation of swelling in feet and ankles in just a few hours.
Do not drink or apply raw apple cider vinegar to the skin.
How to use coconut oil to cure swollen feet and ankles?
Coconut oil is highly effective for the cure of swelling in feet and ankles.
How to use?
- Heat a tablespoon of organic coconut oil
- Massage your swollen feet and ankles with the lukewarm oil
- Do this thrice daily for the swelling to disappear
Benefits of using coconut oil
Coconut oil is replete with healthy fatty acids. Massaging the swollen parts of the legs with warm coconut oil nourish the skin and promote the natural cure of swollen feet and ankles.
5. How to reduce swelling in feet with Natural Treatments?
How to relieve swollen feet by pregnancy by the contrasting hydrotherapy treatment?
The contrasting hydrotherapy method of treatment is a unique way for how to reduce swelling in feet and legs that occur during the period of pregnancy.
How to use?
- Fill a tub with hot water and another tub with cold water
- Dip one foot in the hot water tub and another in the cold water tub
- Interchange the feet at every interval of 5 minutes
- Do this twice daily for about half an hour for the alleviation of swollen feet by pregnancy
Benefits of contrasting hydrotherapy treatment
The contrast in temperature helps in establishing the flow of blood in the legs. It reduces the swelling in about 30 minutes or so. The heat establishes healthy blood circulation and the cold temperature aids in the alleviation of fluid retention, swelling, pain, and inflammation of the feet. This remedy is especially beneficial for the natural treatment of swollen feet caused by injuries to the ankles like ligament strain and ankle sprain.
Test the temperature of the water and make sure that it is not too hot or too cold to scald your skin.
The home remedies are excellent for the natural treatment of swollen feet. They do not have any toxic side effects nor do they affect the digestive system, unlike chemical medicines and drugs. However, if the swelling persists for long, or gets aggravated with time, then consult a physician immediately. Follow the remedies as mentioned above for how to reduce swelling in feet naturally.