In the modern-day environment, there are various types of ailments that can affect any person. Some of these ailments are extremely painful and can disrupt your daily routine entirely without any proper treatment available. Edema is one such ailment that is marked by extreme swelling or puffiness in your body.
Edema is caused when excess fluid is accumulated in the tissues under the skin. It progresses slowly, but the onset is sudden. Though regarded as a common condition, it might indicate something serious
In most cases, Edema occurs on the skin of legs, arms, ankles, and hands but it can affect any body part. Women and old people are more susceptible to edema. Thankfully, there are natural remedies to help you with edema. Essential oils for edema offer you significant relief from this ailment and its symptoms without any side effects.
Symptoms of Edema
- The skin swells and feels stretched. An incredible shine can be seen in the skin.
- Pain in various body parts and stiffness in joints.
- Weight gain or loss.
- A sudden increase in pulse rate and blood pressure.
- A severe headache and abdominal pain.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Confusion and lethargy
Causes of Edema
- Standing or sitting for long periods
- Exposure to excessively hot weather
- Post Menstrual Syndrome (PMS) and during Menstruation
- Weak blood vessels (like in case of varicose veins)
- High salt intake
Types of Edema
- Cerebral edema: It is also known as brain swelling. It is often the result of injury, ischemic stroke or inflammation from a disease.
- Pitting edema: It is either caused by a localized problem with veins in the affected area or a systemic problem in heart, kidney or liver function.
- Corneal edema: It is the condition in which the cornea becomes excessively hydrated due to the accumulation of fluid.
- Periorbital edema: In this condition the area around the eyes, i.e. eye socket or eye orbit swells.
- Macular edema: In this condition, excess fluid accumulates in the macula. The macula is the central area of the retina which lines the inside of the eye.
- Flash pulmonary edema: It is the rapid onset of pulmonary edema. Pulmonary edema is the fluid accumulation in tissue and air spaces of the lungs. It leads to impaired gas exchange and may cause respiratory failure.
- Vasogenic edema: Vasogenic edema occurs due to the tight endothelial junctions that make up the blood-brain barrier.
- Cystoid macular edema: It affects the central retina or macula.
- Leg edema: It is a part of the peripheral edema, in which fluid accumulates in the leg.
- Ankle edema: It is included in the peripheral edema. It involves swelling of the ankle.
What are essential oils good for Edema?
1. Grapefruit essential oil
It possesses anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the swelling.
2. Fennel essential oil
This essential oil by its anti-inflammatory properties relieves the pain and discomfort caused by swelling and helps the inflammation go away.
3. Cypress essential oil
This essential oil has excellent anti-inflammatory properties and can quickly reduce the swelling.
4. Geranium essential
5. Juniper Berry essential oil
Juniper Berry oil is an essential oil used for swelling. It has excellent anti-inflammatory properties.
6. Lemon essential oil
The lemon essential oil is the solution to almost all infections. It possesses unique anti-inflammatory properties that reduce swelling and relieve pain.
7. Rosemary essential oil
Rosemary essential oil is another essential oil that has anti-inflammatory properties.
How to use essential oil blend for Edema?
The usual application of essential oils for edema involves topical application. Wherein, you need to mix a few drops of the essential oil with a carrier oil like coconut oil and apply gently over the affected area. Additionally, there are specific blends that you can prepare with essential oils to enhances its efficiency.
1. Blend of grapefruit, rosemary and juniper berry oils.
Add ten drops each of grapefruit, rosemary and juniper berry essential oils along with two tablespoon olive oil to a glass dropper bottle.
Apply 5 to 7 drops to swollen areas and perform deep massaging motions towards the heart. It helps drain excess fluid from the body.
2. Blend of Cypress and Grapefruit oil
This blend is generally used in a foot bath. In a hot tub, put 1/4 cup Epsom salt while the water is running. Allow the salt to disperse in water. When the hot tub is half full, the ten drops of Cypress and Grapefruit essential oils are added to the tub. Put your feet inside the tub for at least 15 minutes. This therapy can be performed once in two weeks.
Massage oil for Edema:
Add ten drops of Juniper, Lemon, Geranium, Cypress essential oils each along with four tablespoons olive oil in a glass dropper bottle.
Take 5 to 7 drops of the prepared massage oil on a palm, rub the oil on both palms and then gently apply on the affected areas.
As seen from the mentioned procedures, making these essential blends is unimaginably simple and can be at home. There is no use of any alien ingredient which is difficult to obtain. All ingredients of these oil blends are readily available in the market. Blending the essential oils adds up their curing properties, thus making the treatment procedure fast.
Precautions and Safety Instructions
As everything has some restrictions, so does these magical blends. The essential oil blends must also be checked adequately before applying on the skin.
- In many cases, people are allergic to the ingredients of the essential oils. So, it is imperative to have a patch test on skin before applying it to large areas. Causing an allergic reaction by using the blends would increase troubles. So, make sure you do a patch test first.
- Pregnant women must consult a health care professional before using the oil blends. Many oils are strictly restricted for pregnant women as they have adverse effects on their health and the child.
- The essential oil blends can be toxic. It should never be consumed because its effects are not known.
- The oils must be mixed in the recommended proportion only. Changing the proportion of the essential oils in their blends can be harmful.
Other Home Remedies
- Mix equal quantities of apple cider vinegar and warm water. Soak a cotton cloth in the mix and cover the affected area for a few minutes. Repeat it twice daily for significant benefits.
- Mix two cups of Epsom salt with equal quantities of water. Soak the affected body part in this mix for a few minutes. Repeat once daily before bathing.
Essential oils for Edema are the true essence of nature that offer significant relief from pain and discomfort caused by this ailment. You must take expert advice to determine the exact quantity you must use of these essential oils as otherwise, they can have serious side effects. Leading a healthy and active lifestyle and use of home remedies are recommended to get rid of this ailment effectively.