Vertigo is a sense of spinning dizziness. These symptoms are triggered when you move your head in quick motions. Vertigo may occur due to an underlying health condition pertaining to the ears, brain, or sensory nerve pathways.
According to some studies, 5-10% of the adults in the US experience vertigo, and nearly 40% of the aged adults suffer from vertigo at least once in their lifetime.
According to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorder, vertigo is a common symptom that affects more than 90 million Americans in a year(1). Although medications are available for dizziness, a common trait like vertigo can be naturally treated herbs for vertigo.
- While vertigo is not a severe medical condition, central vertigo might last a lifetime. It is one of the rarest types of vertigo.
- Women are likely to be affected by vertigo than men.
Herbs for Vertigo
1. Gingko Biloba
Herbs are one of the best home remedies known for a cure since ancient times. Gingko Biloba is popularly known to treat vertigo. This Chinese herb stimulates the blood flow to the brain and alleviates dizziness.
- Ginkgo biloba is mostly available in the form of supplements that are popularly used in the United States.
- The herbal extract is usually available in either liquid or capsule form.
Consuming 240 milligrams of Gingko Biloba cures not only vertigo but also treats other neurological disorders. Gingko Biloba for vertigo reduces the stickiness of the platelets and balances the over-all health.
[Also Read: Naturopathic Treatment for Vertigo]
Ginger root is an Asian traditional medicine that effectively treats dizziness, vertigo, and nausea. It is a form of spice that is content with pungent phenol compounds and volatile oils that improves the blood circulation in the inner ear and brain.
- Boil the ginger roots in a cup and boil it in hot water. Then, consume the drink along with honey.
- You can also add Ginger to tea.
- Ginger is a type of spice that can be used regularly in dietary meals.
Ginger for vertigo is one of the best herbal treatments. 2-3g of ginger root is ideal for daily consumption. If you prefer supplements, the recommended dosage is 30-90 drops.
[Also Read: Yoga for Vertigo]
3. Butcher’s Broom
Butcher’s broom for vertigo(2) is an appropriate herbal remedy. According to Phyllis A Balch, author of “Prescription for Nutritional Healing,” disorder in the brain and inner ear is a significant cause of vertigo.
The vasodilator effects of butcher’s broom naturally alleviate any such disorders and treat weakness or numbness in legs and arms.
- Butcher’s broom root extract is available in the form of supplements.
- The herbal extract is mostly available in capsules or liquid form.
Consume 150mg of butcher’s broom with 150mg of hesperidins and 100mg of ascorbic acid. Regular consumption can quickly help you get rid of vertigo. Butcher’s broom is one of the best herbs for vertigo.
Cayenne is one of the thermogenic herbs of vertigo. The active capsaicin compounds in cayenne stimulate the aggregation of platelets and increase the blood flow to the brain. It has always been used for circulatory support.
- Cayenne supplements are available in the form of capsules. You can avail then in any pharmaceuticals.
- Cayenne pepper is mixed in hot water or tea.
- You can also use cayenne pepper in your regular dietary meals.
The standard dosage recommended for vertigo is 30 to 120 milligrams of capsules thrice a day. Consuming cayenne pepper every day can help you heal quickly.
Symptoms of vertigo are usually uncomfortable or even worse with time. Basil can help treat vertigo instantly. The herb contains antiseptic properties that reduce weakness and dizziness. Basil, one of the herbs for vertigo, is one of the effective home remedies that naturally treats the symptoms.
- Add 10 to 12 drops of basil extract in hot water. Place your face towards the steam. Cover yourself over the head, covering the pot and inhale the steam.
- You can also use basil in a different diffuser.
Consider doing steam therapy at least twice a day until you can feel the changes.
6. Wild Indigo
Wild indigo, also known as false indigo, is widely used as one of the best herbal remedies treat vertigo symptoms, which include the common cold, headaches, nausea, dizziness, toothaches, and many more. It gives immense relief to the nerves, and nasal portion caused due to hypertension or hypotension symptoms of vertigo.
- Wild Indigo can be used as usual tea with hot water or milk.
- It can be used as oil for massaging the affected regions or the whole body for relaxation.
- You can also include it in your regular dietary meals.
You can have wild indigo tea twice or thrice a day. Have two capsules per day or supplements available.
Attacks of vertigo can be worse. You can try Mistletoe, which is highly recommended for poor blood circulation or even excessive blood flow in case of bleeding.
Mistletoe is also a remedy for many diseases. Mistletoe instantly reduces headaches and improves the performance of blood circulation. It is considered as one of the best herbs for vertigo.
- You can consume mistletoe is usually consumed in the form of tonic.
- Mistletoe white infusions can also be consumed to treat symptoms of vertigo.
It is ideal to consume 0.5 ml of the tincture solution thrice a day to alleviate the symptoms of vertigo.
There are several species of skullcap herbs. Baikal skullcap is most popularly known to treat vertigo. Blue skullcap, available in America, also contains the same properties. Skullcap clears the heat and prevents reckless blood circulation in the body. Skullcap for vertigo is an ancient traditional Chinese medicine that naturally treats the symptoms.
- Boil skullcap in hot water under steam. Remove the skullcap, cut it into a slice, and let it dry for consuming.
- There are various supplements for skullcap available online as well.
3 to 9 grams is a standard dosage recommended for vertigo. Consuming steamed skullcap every day prevents dizziness and its symptoms.
Peppermint is considered as one of the best useful herbs to treat vertigo. It is a crossbreed of spearmint and water mint, which is known for its aromatherapy scent with fatty oil.
Peppermint helps to treat headaches, mental emotions, stress, and various other symptoms of vertigo. It mainly provides relieve from dizziness and nausea, and it is an effective way to mitigate what it ails you.
- It can be used on a daily basis by including it in your diet meals.
- You can have it as a hot beverage such as peppermint tea.
- Also, you can take various peppermint supplements available in the stores.
- You can combine peppermint oil with carrier oils such as coconut oil and apply 2 to 3 drops to the forehead or back of your neck.
As peppermint oil is highly concentrated, 2 to 3 drops per use with carrier oils is recommended to avoid skin irritations. Include it in your diet or beverages twice or thrice a day.
[Also Read: 10 Proven Essential Oils for Vertigo]
10. Black Cohosh
Black cohosh is a white flower with spikes. Usually, rhizomes and roots of black cohosh are used to treat neurological disorders. It is considered as one of the productive herbs for vertigo as it is a relaxing nervine. Black cohosh is especially useful in case your dizziness is related to menopause.
- Black cohosh is usually available in the form of supplements.
- Various supplements are readily available online or in stores.
20 to 40 milligrams of black cohosh extract can be consumed twice a day in the form of tablets. Black cohosh is popularly used across the world to treat the symptoms of vertigo and menopause in women.
However, the consumption of black cohosh for more than six months can make your symptoms worse.
11. Blend of Chinese Herbs
A blend of Chinese herbs is just perfect for treating specific symptoms of vertigo that are unique to each individual.
It gives immediate relief but also aims for the root that is for long term elimination of vertigo. It even effectively eradicates dizziness, headache with fix location, restless sleep, tinnitus, and many more symptoms related to vertigo.
- Generally, there are many ways to use Chinese herbs. You can include it in your diet or beverages or massage it gently on the affected area drop by drop.
- Few well known Chinese herbs such as Epley maneuver, Ginkgo biloba, and Ginger can use to make a blend of Chinese herbs to treat vertigo symptoms.
A blend of Chinese herbs can be used as an oil for massaging twice a week. It can be used as hot beverages twice or thrice a day. You can take the capsules available at any store, twice a day.
Symptoms of vertigo may not be life-threatening, but ignoring this condition may complicate the symptoms. Apart from herbs, exercise is an apt treatment for vertigo. Merely sitting down straight and rising slowly can instantly relieve you from dizziness. Also, you can try alternative treatments like yoga and acupuncture for treating vertigo
Practicing exercise helps get rid of weakness in the body and improves balance. If you are actively seeking a natural way to treat vertigo, try herbs for vertigo to relive from the uncomfortable symptoms.
1. What Are the Home Remedies for Vertigo?
There are various natural ways to treat vertigo. If you are suffering from dizziness, extreme headache, loss of balance consider these effective home remedies that can help combat the Vertigo symptoms:
- Epley maneuver
- Staying hydrated
- Apple cider vinegar
- Essential oils
- Workout at home
- Homeopathic remedies
- Proper sleeping
- Alcohol pads
2. What Can Trigger Vertigo and How Long Do the Symptoms Last?
Vertigo is caused due to the imbalance in the inner ear. It can also be caused due to the disorders in the brain. Specific head movements can trigger (BBPV) that is Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo.
However, there are various types of vertigo based on the reason for the cause. Usually, vertigo lasts for nearly 30 minutes. It might not be a severe medical condition, but there are rare symptoms of vertigo that might last for a lifetime.