What is vertigo?
Vertigo is a health condition that is characterized by a sensation of rocking and spinning even though you are perfectly still. People suffering from vertigo tend to perceive multiple visions of the same object. It generally occurs from injury to the head or when one looks down from above an extreme height. This condition of dizziness is called vertigo. It usually affects people who are around 60 years of age and can be either long-termed or temporary. It occurs whenever something external affects the inner ears, sensory neural network, and the brain. The transient state of vertigo refers to any short spells of nausea and dizziness that does not last long and is not quite as dangerous as the long-term variety that can get combated with the fragrant and useful essential oils for vertigo.
Causes of vertigo
A few generic causes of dizziness include
- Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo or BPPV is the most primary cause of vertigo which occurs when calcium particles jam the ear canals and interfere with body balance and coordination. It is usually a degenerative disease
- Meniere’s disease is a disorder that affects the inner ear and has characteristics like the accumulation of fluids in the ear which causes fluctuation in ear pressure. It causes vertigo along with a ringing noise in the ears
- Vestibular neuritis is another inner ear disorder that is caused by viral infection and inflammation of the nerves of the inner ear
- Injury to the head or the neck
- Brain tumor and cerebral strokes
- Medications that result in side effects on the inner ear and ear canals
- Headaches, sinus, and migraine
Symptoms of Vertigo
The most typical symptoms of vertigo(1) include
- Sensations of spinning, swaying, and tilting
- Abnormal movement of the eyeballs
- A headache
- Heavy sweating
- Ringing noise in the ears
Also Read: Home Remedies for Nausea
Types of Vertigo
Primarily, there are two different kinds of vertigo as enlisted below
- Peripheral vertigo: Peripheral vertigo occurs due to damage caused to the inner ear. The inner ear converts the vibration of air columns into signals that are processed by the brain and then transmitted to the ears that are into the cochlea. It also helps in the maintenance of body balance and coordination. When these signals do not synchronize with the signals transmitted by the eyes, a feeling of dizziness takes over, and that is called peripheral vertigo.
- Central vertigo: Injury causes this type of dizziness to the head and neck, brain stroke, tumor, viral infection of the brain, headaches like a migraine and sinus and so on.
Essential Oils for Vertigo
Essential oils for vertigo are ancient natural remedies of dizziness. They possess incredible powers of enhancing emotional well-being, mental health, and physical fitness. The sweet and soothing fragrance of essential oils can cure the symptoms of nausea and dizziness associated with vertigo.
A whiff of the essential oil and a sip into a cup of tea infused with the oils can drive out the symptoms of dizziness and vertigo in no time. Clinical research is still ongoing to unearth the benefits of essential oils for the natural cure of vertigo.
What are the essential oils that are good for vertigo?
- Ginger essential oil
- CBD oil
- Cannabis oil
- Lavender oil
- Peppermint essential oil
- Basil essential oil
- Clary sage essential oil
- Frankincense essential oil
- Rosemary essential oil
- Cypress essential oil
Ways to Use Essential Oils for Vertigo
1. Ginger essential oil for vertigo
The biologically stimulating components of ginger essential oil(2) have an incredibly curative effect upon the symptoms of vertigo-like dizziness and nausea. Ginger oil helps in soothing the nerves and restoring co-ordination in movement.
How to use?
- Dilute the ginger essential oil by mixing 5-6 drops of it with a teaspoon of coconut oil
- Massage your chest with the oil blend and inhale in the aroma to drive out the symptoms
- You can also apply the oil blend to the neck and forehead to restore the balance and coordination
2. CBD oil for vertigo dizziness
CBD oil is rich in cannabinoids such as cannabidiol and tetrahydrocannabinol that are exceptionally effective in combating vertigo dizziness and stopping vertigo(3) sickness completely. It can effectively control vomiting and cure nausea as well.
How to use?
- Take CBD oil in the form of supplementary capsules
3. How to get rid of vertigo with Cannabis oil?
Cannabis oil can stimulate the particular receptors of the endocannabinoid system of the brain that include the CB1 and the CB2. The CB1 is located in the Central Nervous System, whereas the CB2 is located in the immune cells and governs the release of cytokine.
The cannabinoids present in cannabis oil can suppress nausea, cure headaches, and deal with vertigo and dizziness at an accelerated speed.
How to use?
- You can take Cannabis oil in the form of supplementary capsules
4. Lavender oil to treat vertigo
The sweet and calming essence of lavender makes it highly beneficial for the treatment of vertigo induced by anxiety, insomnia, and stress. Inhalation of the fragrance of lavender essential oil(4) helps in the cure of sleeping problems and cures dizziness, nausea, and other symptoms of vertigo feeling with ease.
How to use?
- Diffuse the lavender essential oil in your bedroom to fill the atmosphere of the room with its essence
- Add a few drops of lavender essential oil to your pillow to lull yourself into a deep sleep and cure the brief episode of vertigo
Read More: Lavender Oil Benefits
5. Peppermint essential oil for sudden vertigo sickness
The anti-inflammatory and restorative action of peppermint essential oil is profoundly beneficial for the natural cure of sudden vertigo, nervous disorders, and anxiety breakdowns.
Peppermint essential oil(5) is perhaps the best medication for vertigo sickness as it can un-clutter the airways, un-cloud the mind, and establish healthy oxygenation of blood to the brain. It soothes the feelings of nausea and dizziness of vertigo making it one of the best amongst the other essential oils for vertigo.
How to use?
- Massage your chest, forehead, and neck with the essential oil and inhale the aroma to drive out the symptoms
- Inhale the aromatic vapors by mixing the essential oil in a vessel of boiling water
6. How to get rid of vertigo with Basil essential oil?
The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory action of basil essential oil helps in soothing the nerves and relaxing the mind. It establishes a proper respiratory functioning and improved oxygenation of blood to the brain which cures the symptoms of vertigo and dizziness.
How to use?
- Inhale the aromatic vapors by mixing the basil oil with a vessel of boiling water and then taking in the steamy mist
Read More: Holy Basil Benefits
7. Clary sage essential oil for vertigo
Clary sage essential oil(6) is incredibly useful for dizziness caused by improper functioning of the Central Nervous System. The sedative and soothing properties of this oil aids in the improvement of cognitive abilities and helps in the elimination of dizziness, headache, nausea, and lack of coordination.
How to use?
- Put 2-3 drops of this essential oil in a diffuser and inhale the aroma
- Dilute the essential oil by mixing 5-6 drops of it with a teaspoon of olive oil and massage your chest, neck, and forehead with it
Recommended Read: Home Remedies for Headache
8. Frankincense essential oil for vertigo
Frankincense(7) is remarkably effective in inducing calmness, balancing the vestibular nervous system, relaxing the taut nerves, relieving anxiety, and restoring stability and balance.
How to use?
- Just rub a few drops of the essential oil on your neck and chest, and that will be enough to cure the vertigo spells
9. Rosemary essential oil for vertigo medication
Rosemary essential oil is known for its active properties of vertigo medication. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory action helps in soothing the nerves and relaxing the mind. Inhalation of the fragrance of rosemary essential oil helps in the cure of insomnia and treats dizziness, nausea and other symptoms of chronic vertigo.
How to use?
- Add a few drops of rosemary essential oil to a vessel of steaming hot water and inhale the fragrant vapors on a daily basis to cure long-term vertigo
- You can also dab a few drops of it in your handkerchief and carry it with you
10. Cypress essential oil for vertigo
The components of cypress essential oil(8) are stimulating in nature. They aid in improved cognitive functioning, enhance alertness and vigilance and cure dizziness and nausea in no time.
How to use?
- Diffuse the cypress essential oil in your bedroom with the help of a diffuser to fill the atmosphere of the room with its essence and inhale into a deep slumber
Side Effects of Essential Oils for Vertigo
- Topical application of essential oils for vertigo can cause skin irritation, allergies, and inflammation.
- Inhalation of essential oils might aggravate the symptoms of dizziness and even trigger nasal issues.
Risks of Using Essential Oils for Vertigo
- The use of essential oils for vertigo for a natural treatment might be risky for people with sensitive skin.
- It can also be dangerous for patients with respiratory disorders.
Precautions before Using Essential Oils for Vertigo
Consult a medical professional before using essential oils for vertigo. Do a slight patch test before proceeding with a massage with the essential oil. Store the oil away from sunlight and in a dark glass vial.
Other Home Remedies for the Cure of Vertigo
- Sip on a cup of warm ginger tea
- Massage your forehead and neck with lemon balm
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does stress cause vertigo?
Response: Yes, stress and anxiety can cause vertigo.
2. How long does temporary vertigo last?
Response: Temporary vertigo does not last more than 20-30 minutes when treated with care.
Essential oils for vertigo are remarkably useful as a natural cure but make sure to consult a physician in case the symptoms get worse with time. If the signs and problem of vertigo continue, ask a doctor for further treatment and medication.