Hypertension is one of the most common health problems. Hypertension or high blood pressure makes you prone to many other disorders. Blood pressure generally increases because of many reasons including the increased density of blood.
From ages, many of the medical practitioners have preferred herbs for blood pressure treatment. Herbs enhance the metabolism, as well as the functioning of the blood vessels for adequate transportation of blood.
Many of the doctors prescribe for natural remedies along with changes in diet, for the treatment of high blood pressure. The other natural remedies include various practices, but the simplest of them all is dealing with the blood pressure by using herbs.
Herbs help in proper regulation of blood and maintain a healthy flow along the blood vessels. Herbs have minimum side effects, and certain herbs especially show benefits for high blood pressure.
Did You Know!
High Blood Pressure – An Overview
High blood pressure(1) is also known as hypertension. It occurs when the force applied by the blood on the walls of blood vessels increases. The increased amount of blood sometimes hinders the proper flow of blood, making it difficult to reach all parts of the body in the required time. Since the density of the blood becomes too high, it reaches the vital organs in lower quantities. Regular low blood supply towards the brain can cause stroke, that in extreme conditions might become fatal.
In most of the cases, the patients do not have any idea, if they might be suffering from high blood pressure. It comes into light when the affected individual suffers from various symptoms.
The extremely high blood pressure is noticeable when the patient suffers from persistent headaches, chest pain, fatigue and problems in vision. The situation might get critical; that’s why it is essential to consult a doctor in extreme cases.
Causes of High Blood Pressure
The origin of high blood pressure differs from individual to individual, and in some cases, one can not be entirely sure about the growing disorder. There are numerous possible causes for the occurrence of high blood pressure. Here are some possible causes of high blood pressure or hypertension –
- Excessive salt intake.
- Less consumption of fruits and vegetables, as per the requirement of the body.
- A high amount of alcohol in the body and bloodstream.
- Non-active lifestyle.
Prevention of unhealthy lifestyle can cure high blood pressure.
Additional Causes That Can Give Rise to High Blood Pressure
Here are some other factors, that can invariably give rise to high blood pressure or hypertension
- Ethnic Regions: Some of the proved facts state that the people who live in South Asian or African – Caribbean regions have a higher risk of high blood pressure.
- Heredity: The risk also arises when there’s a family history of high blood pressure.
- Age: Age is a natural factor that can never stop. Increasing age leads to an unhealthy lifestyle, which indeed can lead to an increase in blood pressure.
- Other Health Problems: There are certain conditions when high blood pressure occurs as a symptom of other illness, for example:- kidney problems. In such cases, treatment of the main ailment can lower hypertension.
Symptoms of High Blood Pressure
High blood pressure often shows less or no signs, that’s why it is hard to recognize if someone is suffering from it. Often the causes of high blood pressure complement the symptoms by growing extensively at a faster rate. Doctors prescribe that blood pressure should be checked from time to time, to maintain good health. If you suffer from extremely high blood pressure, then these are the symptoms that profoundly occur
- Visionary problems
- Severe and persistent headaches
- Pain in the chest and upper abdomen
- Irregularity in heartbeats
- Blood in urine
- Difficulty in normal breathing
- A pounding sensation in ears, neck and chest regions
If left untreated, hypertension could cause heart attack, cardiac arrest and stroke, eye and vision problems and kidney failure. It depends upon the severity of the issues and the role of other factors acting on it or involved with it.
Herbal Remedies for High Blood Pressure
Herbal remedies include a lot of procedures that can help you in lowering the blood pressure. Adding certain herbs to your diet can help in decreasing the level of your hypertension. Here are the ten herbs that can work efficiently for your high blood pressure
Cinnamon in your daily diet can help in lowering blood pressure. Studies show that no matter how long you are suffering from high blood pressure, it is highly beneficial in treating High Blood Pressure.
[Read: Cinnamon for Blood Sugar]
It is a popular herb used for seasoning, mostly in the South Asian cuisine. If you consume the cardamom(2) powder two times a day, continuously for 12 weeks, then you will see good results yourself.
Basil is a powerful herb for treating high blood pressure. It has got great taste, and it is famous for garnishing. It has a chemical substance called eugenol, that can lower the amount of blood flow through the vessels.
[Read: Health Benefits Of Basil]
Flaxseed is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, and it is highly beneficial. You can add flax seeds in your regular meals and control your blood pressure.
Ginger is very beneficial for the proper circulation of blood and relaxation of muscles. It helps in regulating blood flow throughout the body.
The nitric oxide present in garlic can help in providing relaxation to the blood vessels. The blood tends to move freely throughout the body.
7. Celery seed
Celery seeds play the role of a diuretic and can help lower the blood pressure. You can have them in your soups for a great flavor.
Hawthorn is one of the famous Chinese remedies to treat high blood pressure.
9. Cat’s Claw
It is a part of the Chinese herbal remedy and can treat hypertension along with neurological problems.
10. French Lavender
It has a beautiful scent and can help in lowering the heart rate, which indeed produces a decline in high blood pressure.
[Read: Benefits of Lavender Oil]
Herbal Tea for High Blood Pressure
If you want to seek herbal remedies for high blood pressure treatment, then herbal tea can solve many of your problems. Herbal Tea consists of natural herbs for high blood pressure that provide enough amount of nutrients and antioxidants to lower the pressure.
Along with herbal Tea, many drinks can naturally help in reducing hypertension. The process of making these drinks is simple, easy and requires less time for preparation. You can prepare these drinks at home and monitor blood pressure accordingly. Here are some easy recipes –
1. Herbal Tea Using Hibiscus
- Two teaspoons of dried hibiscus flowers
- Boiling water
- Honey or Sugar, as per the taste
- Cinnamon stick (optional)
- Mint leaves (optional)
- Lime wedge (optional)
- Take a pot filled with water. Turn on the heat and boil it for some time.
- Take the mentioned amount of dried Hibiscus flowers in an empty teapot.
- Pour the boiled water in the teapot and cover it with a lid. Leave it for around 5 minutes for the dried flowers to release extracts.
- Add honey or any sweetening agent as per your preference. Add the optional ingredients if you wish, stir well and serve.
2. Garlic Tea
- One clove of garlic
- One cup of water
- Honey, as per the taste
- One teaspoon of lemon juice
- Take water in a saucepan and boil it for some time. Add a garlic clove along with it.
- Turn off the heat when the water starts boiling.
- Add honey and lemon juice to it and stir well. Serve hot.
Chocolate and Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
The smoothie is rich in vitamins and minerals and provides sufficient nutrients for the gut, as well as helps out in reducing blood pressure. Try to choose low-fat dairy products over the full-fat versions of them, as according to the British Journal of Nutrition, they are best for lowering the blood pressure.
- Peanut butter
- Cocoa powder
- Vanilla extract
- Almond milk
- Add all the above ingredients into a blender.
- Process the ingredients until you get a smooth mixture.
- You can blend along with ice cubes to make the drink refreshing.
- Pour it to a glass and enjoy.
On a positive note, herbs are very active and useful for lowering the blood pressure. You can choose any of the natural herbs to lower blood pressure and take great benefits from them. In most of the cases, choosing herbs for high blood pressure along with some healthy changes in lifestyle decrease the blood pressure up to a great extent.
Following these remedies can add significant benefits to the extreme conditions of hypertension. Preparing herbal Tea and consuming it can also help up to a better point, by showing excellent results. Try to avoid excessively spicy food and reduce the amount of salt from your diet. Intake of simpler foods is a plus point.
Q 1: What Herbs Lower Blood Pressure?
Ans – The herbs that can help in lowering the blood pressure are
- Flax seeds
- Celery seed
- Cat’s claw, and
- French Lavender
Q 2: Are Herbs Really Effective in Regulating Blood Pressure?
The above mentioned ten herbs can effectively help you out with high blood pressure. You can monitor your blood pressure and see excellent results by preferring herbs over conventional medicines. By altering your lifestyle, you can keep yourself away from the challenging risks associated with high blood pressure. These risks can lead to many of the problems related to heart and kidneys.