Its festive season and there’s a delicious platter full of sweets laid on in front of you. But are you looking for a corner to hide or something else that you can shift your mind on to? If yes, then stop refraining yourself from the joys of life and binge on those sweets with a dash of cinnamon for blood sugar regulation.
Diabetes is one of the biggest nightmares for everyone around the globe. Diabetes is a condition in which your blood sugar levels are very high. Glucose is the body’s primary source of energy. The blood in your body carries glucose to the cells of the body. It is very much essential to keep the blood sugar level normal.
Numerous natural remedies and supplements can help you to stay in range of the healthy blood sugar level. But if we say that cinnamon is the best natural spice that gives useful results against high blood sugar levels. Shocked? Read on the to discover the marvellous benefits of cinnamon for blood sugar regulation.
Cinnamon(1) is a significant ingredient in many of the dishes around the world. Cinnamon is a natural spice obtained from the inner bark of several tree species from the genus Cinnamomum. It is used mainly as a flavouring additive and pungent condiment in a wide variety of sweet, cuisines, and savoury dishes, snack foods, and traditional foods. Cinnamon has been known from remote antiquity.
The primary parts of the plants such as stems, roots, shoots, and barks get used for many purposes including medicines. Cinnamon is a rich source of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, and analgesic properties that is said to lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels in the human body. Cinnamon enhances glucose transport and insulin sensitivity as well.
[ Read: Benefits of Cinnamon ]
Types of Cinnamon
There are more varieties of cinnamon around the world. Here are a few types listed below.
- Saigon cinnamon, Vietnamese cassia, or Vietnamese cinnamon
- Indonesian cinnamon
- Indian cinnamon
- Cassia or Chinese cinnamon
- Malabar cinnamon
- Ceylon cinnamon or Sri Lankan cinnamon
The Best type of Cinnamon for Blood Sugar
Here is the answer to your most curious question. Ceylon cinnamon is a type of cinnamon that serves the best for blood sugar. By crushing the leaves and by peeling the outer bark of the tree, emanates a strong cinnamon smell. Ceylon cinnamon is said to have the low coumarin content of 0.017 g/kg. It is the lowest coumarin content amongst the different types of the cinnamon present in nature.
The lowest coumarin content in the Ceylon cinnamon makes it the best spice for lowering blood sugar levels in diabetes patients. It possesses anti-inflammatory, analgesic and anti-bacterial properties and is arich source of antioxidants. The spice contains specific chemical properties that stimulate the insulin receptors and allows the glucose to enter the cells. Eventually, it lowers the blood glucose levels.
How to Use?
You can use Ceylon cinnamon in your daily diet.
- Replace sugar in your foods, sauces and sweet dishes with a dash of cinnamon.
- You can sprinkle cinnamon powder on your salads and sandwiches for enhancing the flavors.
- Add some cinnamon while preparing your foods or curries.
- Add cinnamon in your marinades while treating meat, beef or poultry.
- You can also make cinnamon water or add it to flavor your teas with a punch of health benefits.
- Cinnamon essential oil is very beneficial to treat many ailments. Inhale the vapors of cinnamon essential oil by adding it in warm water.
[ Read: Fenugreek for Diabetes ]
1. Cinnamon and yogurt
How to prepare?
- Take a teaspoon of cinnamon powder, half a teaspoon of stevia powder, and 1 cup of fat-free yogurt
- Add the cinnamon powder to the cup containing fat-free yogurt
- Add stevia powder and mix all the ingredients thoroughly
- Allow it to sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes
- Consume the mixture on a daily basis for good results of cinnamon for blood sugar
Are you wondering on how to limit the blood sugar levels? Here is an impressive combination of cinnamon and yogurt that has natural benefits for blood sugar. Yogurt naturally contains high-quality proteins and carbohydrates that make it an excellent food for preventing and slowing down an unhealthy rise in blood sugar levels.
For people who have more blood sugar levels, low-fat, plain and non-fat, Greek yogurt is an exceptional food due to high protein and less carbohydrate content. Many research and studies have shown diets that are high in calcium-rich foods may even help to reduce or lower the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Therefore, the combination of cinnamon and yogurt makes it the best pair for treating high blood sugar.
[ Read: Yogurt for Diabetes ]
2. Cinnamon smoothie
- One large peeled and sliced a ripe banana
- ½ teaspoon of peeled fresh ginger
- 1 cup of carrot juice
- 2 cups of pineapple
- 1/4 tablespoon of ground cinnamon powder
- One teaspoon of lime juice
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- Half a cup of filtered water
How to prepare?
- Toss the carrots into the high-speed blender and add water to obtain a smooth mixture
- Extract the juice with the help of a thin and soft dish towel
- Transfer the carrot juice to a jar
- Add fresh pineapple, ripe banana, lime juice, ginger, ground turmeric, and almond milk into the jar containing carrot juice
- Blend the mixture till it turns into creamy and smooth
- You can also add more carrot juice and almond milk if required
- Filter it and consume the smoothie
- You can also add little honey for natural sweetening
The cinnamon smoothie contains natural ingredients such as cinnamon, almond milk, carrot and ginger that have wondrous natural anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and analgesic properties.
The carrots are rich in beta-carotene and many other natural nutrients. Beta-carotene acts as an antioxidant and helps to manage blood glucose levels. Carrot juice contains sugar and carbohydrates; it won’t spike the blood glucose levels.
Many kinds of research show that ginger helps to regulate insulin response and help reduce blood sugar levels in people with diabetes. Ginger water is an excellent tonic to keep the blood sugar levels in check.
Therefore, cinnamon smoothie in your daily diet can decrease the blood sugar levels at a rapid pace.
[ Read: Incredible Herbs for Diabetes ]
3. Cinnamon and clove
How to prepare?
- Take one teaspoon of cinnamon powder, 3-4 cloves, and one glass of water
- Add cinnamon powder and cloves to the glass containing water
- Stir the mixture well with cinnamon stem or bark
- Refrigerate the mixture for 15 minutes
- Drink the mixture every morning for useful results of cinnamon for blood sugar
Clove has many natural advantages and offers anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and analgesic properties. Cloves(2) help you to keep the blood sugar levels in check and range. It is known to control diabetes and promote insulin production. The combination of cinnamon with clove can have unexpected natural effects on diabetes and eventually lowers blood sugar levels.
4. Cinnamon essential oil
How to use?
- Take 2-3 drops of cinnamon essential oil and 1 liter of water
- Boil the water for 10-15minutes
- Add the cinnamon essential oil into the bowl containing hot water
- With the help of blanket or towel over your head and inhale the vapor from the water
- You can also use a diffuser at home and smell the aroma
- Do it twice a week for better results on blood sugar
The cinnamon essential oil is said to have analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial properties. This oil also helps to stimulate circulation, relieve pain, reduce stress, fight off infections, protect against insects and improve digestion. Regular intake of cinnamon and proper use of cinnamon essential oil may help to control several factors of blood sugar in diabetes patients.
[ Read: Essential Oils for Diabetes ]
5. Cinnamon to savory and sweet canning recipes
How to use?
- You can use cinnamon mainly in recipes like pumpkin or apple butter, applesauce, and canned apples
- Add 1/4 -1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon powder to the jar containing other fruits, like strawberries or canned peaches
- You can also add cinnamon with onions, green beans, beets, bell peppers, and even cucumbers
6. Cinnamon in baking
How to prepare?
- Add the cinnamon to the flour
- Stir the Cinnamon into baked recipes
- Mix meticulously to prevent clotting and extra cinnamon mix well with dry flour
- Bake the flour in the oven and consume
7. Cinnamon supplements
If you are not interested in adding cinnamon in your daily healthy diet, there is an alternative, i.e., Cinnamon supplements. You can get cinnamon supplements at a nearby store at reasonable prices. The cinnamon supplement contains analgesic, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and antidiabetic properties.
It regulates insulin secretion and helps to reduce the blood sugar levels. Consuming cinnamon supplements from 1-6 grams for 40 days is found to cut cholesterol by about 18% and blood sugar levels by 24%. Therefore, consuming cinnamon supplements can lower blood sugar levels in diabetes patients.
- The presence of coumarin in cinnamon is the primary debate for treating blood sugar in diabetes patients. Therefore, Ceylon cinnamon is advisable to consume in the daily diet and cinnamon tea.
- Boil the water to add cinnamon for consuming and not to burn your tongue.
- Large doses of cinnamon increase the heart rate that can be a threat to individuals with heart conditions. Cinnamon for extended periods can cause body toxicity.
- If you witness any symptoms of allergy due to cinnamon intake then avoid using it in your food.
Ceylon cinnamon is the best variety of cinnamon for diabetes and lowering blood sugar level. No doubt about it. The natural methods and home remedies on how to use cinnamon for blood sugar that has got discussed here are wondrously beneficial and leave no side effects on the body. It is not a big deal to keep a normal blood sugar level if you follow these natural remedies regularly.
Follow these natural methods and treatments genuinely. While doing these remedies make sure you keep a word of caution in mind to get incredible results. However, if inflammation and allergies persist and become more painful over time, make sure to consult a physician.
[ Read: Turmeric for diabetes ]
1. How much cinnamon should you take a day?
Although it is not established as to how much is the dosage. However, personal anecdotes and some studies recommend using ½ to 1 teaspoon (2-4 grams) of the powdered form.
2. Is cinnamon bad for kidneys?
Healthy doses of cinnamon don’t cause much problem. However, higher doses are known to cause certain altercations with kidney functions