Ever thought that the common fruit that you love to eat, now and then, can be an excellent fruit for improving your health? Yes, this seasonal fruit not only delivers taste but is also beneficial for your health. Read this article to know about and guava health benefits and why you should include it in your diet.
Guava Nutrition Facts
Guava is an amazing fruit loaded with nutrients. It is rich in dietary fiber and provides a high amount of Vitamin A and Vitamin C along with phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, and calcium.
Guava Nutrition Facts per 100g
|Calories from Fat||8|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
Besides, it also contains a good amount of iron, thiamine, riboflavin, sodium, zinc, Vitamin, E, Vitamin B6, and folate.
Health Benefits of Guava
- Maintains a Healthy Heart
- Improves eyesight
- Boost Digestive Health
- Lower Risk of Cancer
- Improves Skin Health
- Manages Diabetes
- Boosts your Immunity
The dense guavas have a great taste and are endowed with several nutrients that give them an edge over other foods. Below listed are some of the Guavas Health Benefits:
1. Guavas are heart-healthy fruits
One of the significant guava health benefits is a healthy heart. The fruit helps maintain the potassium and sodium balance in the body thus regulating your blood pressure and keeping it under safety levels. Further, it also helps in lowering the bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides levels in the body that put a strain on your heart and can cause heart diseases.
It also helps in improving the good cholesterol (HDL), thus keeping your heart healthy and happy.
Guava gives a positive impact on heart health by maintaining potassium and sodium balance in the body thus regulating your blood pressure, lowering the bad cholesterol and keeping it under safety levels.
[ Read: Remedies to Stop Heart Palpitations ]
2. Improved eyesight is also one of the significant guava health benefits
Guavas are a rich source of Vitamin A which is known to boost the health of your eyes and also prevent the degradation of your vision. Those who wish to improve their eyesight should start consuming guavas now. It can effectively slow down macular degeneration and appearance of cataracts. Vitamin C also helps in improving your vision.
Guavas are a rich source of Vitamin A and C which boosts the health of your eyes and also prevent the degradation of your vision
3. Guavas boost your digestive health
Improved digestion and regular bowel movement are the major guava health benefits. Guava aids in boosting your digestive health owing to its high fiber content. Single guava can provide you with about 12% of your daily fiber requirement which is excellent for your digestive health.
Guava is also known to treat diarrhea owing to its antispasmodic and antimicrobial properties. Further, being antimicrobial it can effectively fight gut infections.
Guava consists of 12% of fiber content which is excellent for your digestive health.
[ Read: Remedies to Cure Stomach Pain ]
4. It lowers the risk of cancer
The presence of antioxidants significantly contributes to Guava Health Benefits. Quercetin, Lycopene, Vitamin C and several other polyphenols present in guava have potent antioxidant properties which make them highly beneficial for your health.
These antioxidants are known to kill the damaging free radicals in your body and thus prevent the growth of free radicals. Hence, owing to its strong anti-cancer properties guava is widely used to reduce the risk of prostate cancer and inhibit the growth of breast cancer cells.
Quercetin, Lycopene, Vitamin C and several other polyphenols are known to kill the damaging free radicals in your body and thus prevent the growth cancer causing cells.
5. It improves skin health
Flawless and beautiful skin devoid of any issues can be achieved by eating guavas. The antioxidants present in guava fight the free radicals that cause aging and damage your skin.
Thus, it effectively prevents the skin aging symptoms like pigmentation, wrinkles, dark spots, etc. Further, the presence of Vitamins C and A, enhance your skin’s elasticity and firmness. Also, the antimicrobial properties of the fruit prevent skin infections and acne.
Antioxidants and antimicrobial properties of the fruit prevents skin infections and aging of skin.
6. Guavas can aid you in managing diabetes
People who have diabetes must include guava in their diet to regulate their blood sugar levels. These are rich in dietary fiber and have low glycemic index both of which contribute towards preventing diabetes.
The high fiber content slows down the digestion while the low glycemic index prevents an immediate spike in the blood glucose levels. Hence, people who have diabetes can include it in their diet to extract guava health benefits.
Guavas being the powerhouse of vitamins aids in boosting the immune system
[ Read: Proven Tips to Cure Diabetes ]
7. Guavas can boost your immunity
Guavas are rich in Vitamin C. Their Vitamin C content is about four times that present in oranges which makes them an excellent food for boosting your immunity. Vitamin C is known to stimulate the production of antibodies. Thus, raising your defense against foreign entities that cause infections.
Must Not Miss:
Guava is four times more rich in vitamin C than an orange and 4 times more fiber than pineapple
Enjoy the numerous guava health benefits by including the amazing fruit in your recipes. Here are some lip-smacking dishes of guava that you must try.
Guava Leaf Tea
Guava leaf tea made using the leaves of guava is rich in antioxidants, tannins, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory agents which make it superb for your health. Here is how you can make the tea using fresh or dried guava leaves.
What will you need?
- Six fresh guava leaves or a tablespoon of powdered dried guava leaves
- Half a liter of water
- Half a teaspoon of lime juice (optional)
- Two teaspoons of honey (optional)
How to prepare?
With fresh guava leaves
- Take the leaves and wash them thoroughly
- Next boil the water
- Add leaves to the boiling water and keep on simmer for around ten minutes
- After that strain the mixture in a cup
- Add in lime juice or honey if you wish to.
With dried guava leaves:
- To a cup of hot water add a tablespoon of powdered dried guava leaves
- Let it brew for about five to six minutes
- After that, strain the mixture.
- You can add honey or lime juice to enhance its flavor.
Watermelon Pineapple Guava Drink
This guava juice recipe including watermelon and pineapple is refreshing as well as satiating.
What will you need?
- One and a half cup of fresh guava juice
- Four cups of watermelon cubes
- Two cups of pineapple cubes
- One tablespoon of black salt
How to prepare?
- Add the chilled guava juice and chilled pineapple and watermelon cubes in a blender.
- Blend them to get a smooth mixture
- Strain the mixture with a strainer
- To the strained juice add black salt and mix well
- After that, pour the mixture into glasses
Green Guava Salsa
This raw guava salad is easy to prepare and is a delicious morning dish.
What will you need?
- One raw guava
- Few leaves of fresh coriander (chopped)
- Few leaves of fresh mint (chopped)
- Few leaves of Thai basil (chopped)
- One spring onion (chopped)
- A teaspoon of fresh lime juice
- Green Chili (chopped)
- Sea salt
- A pinch of sugar or jaggery
How to prepare?
- Wash the guava
- Cut it into small cubes
- Put the guava cubes in a bowl
- Add in coriander, Thai basil, mint, and chili
- Mix all the ingredients
- Add lime juice
- Season with sea salt and add jaggery or sugar
- Toss the ingredients and serve the salad
Side-effects of Guava
Guavas are safe to be consumed, however eating in excess can create trouble for you.
- Eating too much of raw guavas and taking in lower amount of liquids can cause stomach cramps.
- Guavas have a rich content of fiber, consuming in excess can cause digestive issues.
Surprised to learn about the numerous Guava Health Benefits? Well, it is human nature to run after the exotic and precious. As such common things, like guavas often get over-looked. The fruit packed with so many nutrients is undoubtedly great for you. So start consuming it now and notice visible changes in your health.
1. Are guava seeds edible?
Yes, guava seeds are edible. You can eat them to treat gastrointestinal issues like constipation.
2. What is the difference between white guava and pink guava?
Pink guava contains coloring pigments known as carotenoids which are absent in white guava.
3. Can you eat guava early morning on an empty stomach?
Guavas are rich in fibers that can slow down digestion. Hence, these are not the fruits that you should have in the morning on an empty stomach.
4. What does Guava taste like?
Guava has a mild taste. It may taste sweet or sour which depends upon its ripeness.
Natural Health Tips right from the Experts.