Lucky are those people who can dine out every day and feel fresh as a lark in the next morning. Then there are those who suffer from indigestion at the thought of restaurant food. Indigestion almost never comes alone. It always pays a visit alongside acid reflux, bloating, stomach cramps, loose motion, constipation, and flatulence.
If it persists for a prolonged time, then it is called as chronic indigestion which sometimes leads to intestinal ulcers and lesions. But did you know that a dash of apple cider vinegar can calm your indigestion and drive them away from your abdomen? All that you need for sound digestion after a heavy meal is a good dose of apple cider vinegar. Read on to find out more about how to use the home remedies prepared by using apple cider vinegar for digestion.
Simplifying the Complex Process of Digestion
Digestion is the process of disintegration of food into components that get easily absorbed into the stream of blood. Two types of metabolism take place in the body. The first is the mechanical digestion of food that takes place in the mouth by the work of the saliva which converts the food into a lump called bolus. The second type is the chemical digestion that takes place in the digestive tract when the bolus of food gets disintegrated into digestible molecules by the work of gastrointestinal juices and enzymes.
To understand the picture of digestion let us look into the assimilation of regular food items like bread and rice. The complex carbs present in the bread and rice get disintegrated into pure sugar compounds like glucose, and then this glucose gets easily absorbed into the bloodstream to make provision for physical energy for the body.
In simple words, indigestion(1) refers to the disruption in the process of digestion. It so often happens that digestion gets interrupted by the overconsumption of spicy or oily food, excess intake of painkillers, alcohol, lactose intolerance, intestinal inflammation, and other such factors. The administration of home remedies prepared by using apple cider vinegar is excellent for the natural cure of digestion troubles.
[Also Read: How to Get Rid of Indigestion]
How Is The Incredible Apple Cider Vinegar Made?
Apple cider vinegar is a variety of vinegar that gets prepared by the fermentation of apple juice. It gets extensively used in the culinary department for the preparation of salad dressings, preservatives, marinades, vinaigrettes, and pickles. The first step of the development of apple cider vinegar involves the crushing of fresh and ripe apples to extract the juice. The fermentation process follows next which consists of the addition of yeast and bacteria to the apple juice — this step of fermentation results in the conversion of sugar into alcohol.
In the second step of fermentation, the alcohol obtained gets converted into vinegar by the bacterial action of the Acetobacter species. The vinegar so obtained from the second step of fermentation is known as apple cider vinegar. It contains acetic acid, malic acid, citric acid, lactic acid, and succinic acid which lend the vinegar its tart and sour flavor. Apple cider vinegar contains all the trace nutrients and a negligible amount of calories.
Apple cider vinegar has been an ancient home remedy for centuries. From aiding in shedding the extra pounds, and treating dermatological ailments to helping with indigestion, inflammation, and infection, apple cider vinegar has secured a permanent place in the medical cabinet.
3 Reasons to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Digestion
Apple cider vinegar is remarkably effective for digestion. The administration of home remedies prepared by using apple cider vinegar can cure every problem and disorder associated with digestion. The reasons for which apple cider vinegar is useful for digestion include-
1. Apple cider vinegar accelerates the process of digestion
Drinking diluted apple cider vinegar helps in the enhancement of digestion by delaying the process of gastric emptying. The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar enhances the process of digestion by the stimulation of gastric juices and enzymatic action in the stomach.
2. Apple cider vinegar aids in the prevention of ulcerative colitis
Ulcerative colitis is a digestive disorder that is characterized by the recurrent inflammation of the intestinal lining. Apple cider vinegar is known for its potent antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that work to heal intestinal inflammation, ulcers, and other inflammatory disorders of the stomach.
3. Apple cider vinegar can cure diarrhea and constipation
Apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid that is known for its powerful antibacterial properties. Acetic acid aids in the inhibition of the E.coli bacteria that causes diarrhea. Apple cider vinegar(2) can also get administered as a laxative agent for the natural treatment of constipation.
DIYs – Do it Yourself
1. Use water and apple cider vinegar for digestion
Drinking diluted apple cider vinegar is a fabulous way of using ACV for digestion.
How to use it?
- Heat a cup of water for a few minutes
- Add two tablespoons of raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a cup of lukewarm water with gentle stirring to prepare a solution
- Drink the solution on a regular basis for the cure of indigestion and other digestive disorders.
The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar helps in accelerating the process of digestion by promoting quicker disintegration of ingested food. It also helps to cure bloating by regulating regular and healthy bowel movement thereby easing indigestion.
2. Employ honey and apple cider vinegar for digestion
Drinking a decoction of honey and apple cider vinegar is a remarkable way of using apple cider vinegar for digestion.
How to use it?
- Heat a glass of water for a few minutes.
- Let the water simmer down for some time until it becomes comfortably warm
- Blend a tablespoon each of organic honey and raw apple cider vinegar to form a paste.
- Mix the paste of apple cider vinegar and honey with a glass of warm water to prepare a solution.
- Drink the solution on a regular basis for the cure of indigestion and other digestive troubles.
The combination of honey and apple cider vinegar for digestion is exceedingly useful. It helps in soothing an inflamed and irritated stomach and can instantly cure acidic reflux and nausea. Honey and apple cider vinegar works to restore the low levels of stomachic acids which further enhances the process of digestion. Drinking the decoction of honey and apple cider vinegar also helps in losing excess body weight effectively.
3. Baking soda and apple cider vinegar for digestion
Drinking an infusion of baking soda and apple cider vinegar(3) is a remarkable way of using apple cider vinegar for digestion.
How to use it?
- Warm a glass of water for a few minutes over a medium flame.
- Take the water off the flame and let it simmer down until it attains a lukewarm temperature
- Combine a teaspoon each of finely powdered baking soda and raw and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar to form a smooth paste.
- Blend the paste of apple cider vinegar and baking soda with a glass of lukewarm water to prepare a solution. Stir gently to make sure that the paste gets evenly dissolved in the water.
- Drink the solution twice or thrice a day on a daily basis to calm your stomach and make good use of apple cider vinegar for digestion.
The combination of baking soda and apple cider vinegar for digestion is immensely useful for the natural treatment of chronic digestive disorders. Baking soda is incredibly helpful for the natural alleviation of acid reflux, vomiting, and nausea.
Baking soda and apple cider vinegar for gas work to cure pain and flatulence by the acceleration of metabolism and digestion. It is also useful in the cure of abdominal cramps, stomach flu, bloating, and indigestion.
[Also Read: Best Home Remedies for Indigestion]
A Word of Caution
- Dilute the apple cider vinegar before drinking it
- Do not take apple cider vinegar if you come across any allergic symptoms
- Do not take apple cider vinegar in excess quantity
If fine dining spells out indigestion and flatulence for you, then the home remedies for indigestion by using apple cider vinegar can save you in the nick of time. Follow through with the home remedies and you will feel better. However, if the symptoms of gastrointestinal disorders persist then do not hesitate to consult a physician. Nonetheless, the natural remedies for indigestion are splendidly effective and can treat the most complicated of digestive issues.
1. Can I drink apple cider vinegar every day?
Drinking ACV every day can boost your immunity and overall health. However, ow much should you consume is the key here. Ideally, one or two tablespoons (15-30 ml) a day is recommended. Consuming more than can cause nausea.
2. Should you drink apple cider vinegar on an empty stomach?
Drinking apple cider vinegar first thing in the morning is the best way to incorporate it in your routine. Also, taking it right before your meals could be another option. That way, the drink keeps you full faster. Thus, aiding in weight loss.