Wrinkle or rhytides is a type of fold or crease appearing on an otherwise planar surface of the skin. Wrinkles are caused by ageing through the process of glycation, a specific permanent sleeping position, sudden weight loss and temporary ones resulting from being in the water for an extended period.
Essential oils are just the solution you seek as these natural compounds ensure that you get rid of the harrowing predicament i.e. wrinkles. They help fight off wrinkles naturally while keeping a check on ominous side effects.
Types, Symptoms, Causes, and Prevention:
There are four types of wrinkle and here are the following:
- Atrophic Crinkling Rhytids: These wrinkles and fines lines are mostly parallel to each other but seem to disappear when there is a change in body posture or skin stretching. They appear in different parts of our body owing to loss of elasticity in the skin. They occur due to the cause of collagen.
- Permanent Elastic Creases: Continuous sun exposure and smoking may cause in permanent folds and creases in the skin. They are prominent around the eyes and the lips.
- Dynamic Expression Lines: It occurs due to movement of facial muscles.
- Gravitational Folds: It is the gravitational and the downward fall of the loose skin. It occurs more in thin skin areas than plumper ones.
Also Read: Home Remedies for Under-Eye Wrinkles
- Creases around the eyes, nose, neck, and corners of the mouth
- Dry and brittle skin
- Age Spots
- Saggy and loose skin
- Overexposure to the ultraviolet rays of the sun
- Loss in skin elasticity due to age
- Movement of facial muscles
- Refrain from going directly out in the sun
- Use sunscreen
- Ensure that your skin is moisturized
- Quit smoking
- Have a balanced diet
Also Read: Essential oils for Dry Skin
Why Essential Oils for Wrinkles?
Essential oils are naturally extracted oils from plants in concentrated forms. The word “essential” does not indicate its virtue of being indispensable but focuses on the fact that it is the “essence” of a plant’s aroma. These are volatile and are widely used in aromatherapy for relaxation and relief from stress.
Many times our emotions get the best of us and we fall prey to alluring advertisements of multitudinous pill, lotions, salves, and cosmetic surgeries. The fallacious notions that are adamant in many of us ultimately lead to our doom as there is often a rampant spread of side effects.
Therefore in such degenerate times when there is unbridled spread of misleading and ostentatious advertisements and false claims, essential oils for wrinkles have become a necessity as these natural compounds provide a sense of trust. These essential oils are the need of the hour for they tackle the problem from its roots and help reduce the dangerous threats once and for all(1).
How to Use Essential Oils for Wrinkles?
When essential oils for wrinkles are inhaled from the nose or mouth, the nerves carry information immediately to the brain which stimulates certain areas of our limbic system, therefore, initiating the healing process.
While using essential oils on our pulse points, the pores and hair follicles in our skin absorb the oil. It moves through the bloodstream to other organs or the specific ones on which the oil in question, works.
Also Read: Natural Remedies For Large Pores
1. Neroli oil for wrinkles
The surprising health benefits offered by neroli oil brings it under the category of the best essential oils known to mankind. It works wonder in combating depression and is also significant in fighting off infections.
Why one should use Neroli oil for wrinkles?
This oil looks after the overall health of your skin. It slows down the progress of wrinkles appearing as a result of ageing. It protects the skin from several infections and helps to retain the smooth luster of skin.
How to use Neroli oil for wrinkles?
- Use it to massage
- Blend a few drops of neroli oil in your daily use lotion or cream
2. Patchouli Essential oil
The wondrous health benefits if this oil has been realized since ancient times in China and Japan. The varying characteristics of this oil such as- antidepressant, antiphlogistic, antiseptic, sedative, diuretic, cytophylactic and aphrodisiac make it extremely versatile.
Why one should use Patchouli oil for wrinkles?
This oil is highly advantageous for your skin as it protects the skin from harmful rays of the sun. The anti inflammatory properties attributed to this oil help alleviate the severity of wrinkles.
How to use Patchouli oil for wrinkles?
- Blend this oil along with your day to day use skin and body creams or lotion
- Apply this oil at regular intervals throughout the day
3. Rose Essential oil
Extracted from rose petals, this essential oil has been used since ages in therapeutic and beautification purposes. This oil also finds its usage to battle anxiety and depression.
Why one should use Rose essential oil for wrinkles?
The antimicrobial characteristic of this oil helps to maintain the skin and keep off infections at bay. This oil retains moisture and help reduce inflammation and also increases new skin cells thereby proving to be an effective remedy against wrinkles.
How to use Rose essential oil for winkles?
- Apply topically on skin to get the desired results
- Add a drop or two of it in your moisturizer
- Use this oil to make your own DIY lotions
4. Sandalwood Essential Oil
Obtained from sandalwood trees, this versatile oil has numerous health benefits. It has been used as an aphrodisiac since times immemorial and helps tackle stress, anxiety and depression. This sweet fragrant oil instills a sense of calmness in those who use it.
Why one should use Sandalwood essential oil for wrinkles?
This oil is rich in antioxidants and as a result it plays a dominating role in new cell regeneration and replacement of degenerate and worn out cells. Fine lines and wrinkles get faded when this oil is applied and skin appears younger and smooth.
How to use Sandalwood Essential oil for wrinkles?
- Blend it with argan and geranium oil and apply daily before retiring to bed and in the morning
5. Geranium Essential Oil
Several compounds present in this oil provide enticing health benefits. This non irritant oil is extracted from stems, flowers and leaves of geranium plant. It is used to tackle stress and depression and its versatile use in aromatherapy is conspicuous.
Why one should use Geranium Oil for wrinkles?
Geranium oil is rich in antioxidants which keep a check on free radicals and ensure that they don’t damage skin. Furthermore this oil promotes blood circulation and helps in cell regeneration. Thus wrinkles get reduced in their severity and skin becomes tight and toned.
How to use Geranium oil for wrinkles?
- Add a few drops of geranium oil in lukewarm water and have a long relaxing bath
- Make your own DIY solution using geranium oil and aloe vera
6. Clary Sage essential oil
Clary sage oil is a treasure trove of several health benefits and is widely used in aromatherapy for a number of reasons. It helps fight stress and depression besides regulating hormonal imbalances in women. It also alleviates the pain of menstrual cramps.
Why one should use Clary Sage for wrinkles?
The rich antioxidants present in Clary sage oil prevent the harmful chemicals from damaging the skin. The antibacterial characteristics help control sebum production.
How to use Clary Sage oil for wrinkles?
- Dilute it with a suitable carrier oil to apply on your skin
7. Frankincense Oil for Wrinkles
Why one should use Frankincense Oil for Wrinkles?
Frankincense oil(2) is an astringent which has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. It helps in tissue healing of the biggest organ of your body and in relaxing. It has all the beneficial active molecules to fight wrinkles.
How to use Frankincense Oil for Wrinkles?
- Take a few drops of this oil
- Add a few drops of any carrier oil
- Mix them properly
- Apply the mixture onto the desired areas
Also Read: Benefits of Frankincense Essential Oil
8. CBD Oil for Wrinkles
Why one should use CBD Oil for Wrinkles?
CBD oil or cannabidiol is an extract of marijuana or the industrial hemp plant. It has no psychoactive properties which do not make the user feel high during its use, but it is still illegal in many places around the world. CBD has been proved to be a better antioxidant than both Vitamin C and E. The National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America in 1998 stated: “cannabidiol was more protective against glutamate neurotoxicity than either ascorbate or α-tocopherol, indicating it to be a potent antioxidant”.
How to use CBD Oil for Wrinkles?
- Take out your daily cream
- Add 10 – 20 drops of CBD oil to it
- Mix it properly
- Use it on a regular basis
9. Lemon Oil for Wrinkles
Why one should use Lemon Oil for Wrinkles?
As the name suggests, lemon oil comes from the lemon fruits. It is high in Vitamin C, and it is a part of many skin care products. It helps in the disappearance of dark spots on the skin and also stops wrinkles and fine lines. It helps in the damage caused by oxidation. Lemon oil makes the skin more sensitive to sunlight, so it is highly advised to avoid the sun for several hours after the application of lemon oil.
How to use Lemon Oil for Wrinkles?
- Take a few drops of this oil
- Add a few drops of coconut oil
- Mix these two properly
- Apply the mixture to any desired areas
10. Lavender Oil for Wrinkles
Why one should use Lavender Oil for Wrinkles?
Lavender is a part of a group of European plants of the mint family. The benefits of lavender oil were discovered 2,500 years ago, and since then it has one the most popular essential oils because of its antibacterial, antioxidant, calming and anti-depressive properties(3). The antioxidants in lavender help fight wrinkles and fine lines on the skin. Lavender oil is a circulatory stimulant which promotes blood flow to the skin tissues.
How to use Lavender Oil for Wrinkles?
- Boil a bucket full of water
- Add a few drops of this oil
- Mix it
- Take slow steam
Risk and Precaution of Using Essential Oils
Essential oils are highly concentrated plant extracts which require adequate knowledge about its pros and cons. Many essential oils for wrinkles are harmful for internal use, and they are only usable on the exterior in a diluted form. Experts suggest not to rely on the use of essential oils entirely because some of their attributes are yet nor known. Some essential oils are even compared to antibiotics. During pregnancy, it is also evident to cross the placenta and reach the baby. Therefore, the use of essential oil should be controlled as much as possible. Essential oils for wrinkles should be more diluted in the case of babies or even avoid using them for babies. Essential oils even can eat through plastic.
Other Home Remedies/Natural Remedies for Wrinkles
Other than the essential oils for wrinkles mentioned above, there are quite a few home remedies that also offer excellent results. Here are some of the best home remedies for wrinkles:
- Whip egg whites and apply it on the skin or the affected area. Wash it after 15-20 mins with lukewarm water. The Vitamin B and Vitamin E in egg white have rejuvenating effects on the skin
- Consume fruits and vegetables more with Vitamin D and Vitamin C like tomatoes and blueberries
- Drink lots of water and stay hydrated
- Use pillows made from satin or silk
- Drink natural and organic smoothies for juice cleanse
- Use Vaseline or petroleum jelly for under eye bags and wrinkles
The long and short of the matter is that essential oils have astounding effects when it comes to wrinkles and other skin problems. One must exercise utmost circumspection as these oils tend to react differently to different skin types. Ferret out all sorts of information and carefully consult your healthcare experts before using essential oils for wrinkles lest things might take a sour turn. If all preventive measures are undertaken these elixirs of life rejuvenate your skin and overall health.
1. Is it possible for wrinkles to completely disappear?
No, it is not entirely possible for wrinkles to vanish except the temporary ones which occur due to prolonged immersion in water. But certain types of wrinkles causing from the sun can be controlled with proper methods of using sunscreen.
2. How to reduce premature skin aging?
- Quit smoking and consumption of alcohol
- Exercise daily
- Avoid repetitive facial expressions
- Apply self-tanning
- Clean gently