What is acid reflux?
And here you are just about to dive into that heavenly chunk of steak and sauce, and suddenly “what’s that?” a surge of gastric acid rises your esophagus and suppresses your appetite. It is acid reflux or acidity that almost 40-50% of every nation suffers. But did you know that a few drops of essential oils for acid reflux are all that you need to cure the symptoms of heartburn? If not, then you are in the right place.
Acid reflux, popularly known as heartburn, is a health condition that is characterized by a burning sensation in the lower part of the chest and the rise of gastric acid up along the food pipe of the throat. When the condition of acid reflux persists beyond a couple of days, then it assumes the form of Gastro-esophageal Reflux Disease or GERD.
Causes of Acid Reflux
Some of the causes of acid reflux include the following
- Excessive consumption of caffeine
- Alcohol intake
- Smoking of tobacco
- Substance abuse
- Consumption of junk food
- Unbalanced diet
- Lack of exercise
- Sedentary lifestyle
Symptoms of Acid Reflux
- Abdominal aches
- Pain and discomfort in the chest
- Constant painful burping
Types of Acid Reflux
The three different types of acid reflux primarily include the following
- Infant Acid Reflux: Infants regurgitate milk due to slight acid reflux that accompanied by coughing, improper feeding, coughing, and more
- Reflux Esophagitis: Inflammation of the esophageal canal caused by the pungent stomach acids raising the esophagus is one of the main characteristics of this type of acid reflux
- Gastro-esophageal Reflux Disease: This is the most common type of esophagus characterized by heartburn, nausea, and bloating
Also Read: Home Remedies For Nausea
Essential Oils for Acid Reflux
Essential oils for acid reflux are highly effective in providing almost instantaneous relief from heartburn and acidity. It can also control the other factors associated with heartburn like bloating, flatulence, sleeplessness, and indigestion.
Essential oils work excellently in the elimination of the symptoms of acid reflux(1). The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of essential oils protect and soothe the corrosive effects of gastric acids on the delicate intestinal lining.
What are the essential oils that are good for acid reflux?
If you are wondering on what essential oils are good for acid reflux, then enlisted below are the essential oils that are highly beneficial for the natural cure of acid reflux at home.
- Coconut oil
- Peppermint oil
- CBD oil
- Black seed oil
- Olive oil
- Pine nut oil
- Ginger oil
- Eucalyptus oil
- Orange oil
- Marjoram oil
The recommended dosage of the essential oils can be highly effective in curing the symptoms of acid reflux.
How to use essential oils for acid reflux?
Essential oils make for an excellent choice for the natural treatment of acid reflux. Cure the painful movement of stomach acid can with the prescribed administration of essential oils. Elucidated below are ten incredibly useful essential oils that are highly beneficial for the cure of acid reflux.
1. Coconut oil for acid reflux
Coconut oil is highly effective for the cure of acid reflux in babies as well as in adults. It forms a smooth film over the digestive tract and the throat and protects them from the corrosive effect of the gastric acid. Its content of lauric acid makes it antiseptic that aids in the inhibition of microbial action that triggers the heartburn.
How to use?
- You can take half a teaspoon of coconut oil twice daily to cure the acidity
- You can either use it as a cooking medium or ingest it directly into your mouth
2. Peppermint oil for acid reflux
The fresh scent of the peppermint oil works like magic in the cure of acid reflux. It cures indigestion and provides almost instant relief from pain. Its refreshing flavor soothes the throat and gastrointestinal tract and forms a protective film over them.
How to use?
- Dilute half a teaspoon of peppermint essential oil with a tablespoon of water
- Take it twice daily to heal the heartburn
3. CBD oil for acid reflux
CBD oil is one of the most effective essential oils for the cure of acid reflux(2). It enhances the health of the digestive system and cures lower esophageal sphincter motility.
How to use?
- Fill a cup with water and add a teaspoon each of CBD oil and apple cider vinegar to it
- Drink this all up, and your indigestion and acidity will get cured in just a couple of hours
4. Black seed oil for acid reflux
Black seed oil is highly beneficial for the effective treatment of GERD. It contains thymoquinone and nigellone that work in unison to cure the symptoms of acid reflux and a sharp upward surge of acid.
How to use?
- Black seed oil is available in the form of capsules in the local drug store
- It can be taken once daily to eliminate the disease called GERD completely
5. Olive oil for acid reflux
The earthy flavor and the rich content of monounsaturated fatty acids combine to make olive oil one of the best cooking mediums to keep acidity at bay. A teaspoonful of olive oil is enough to suppress the painful symptoms of acidosis.
It forms a smooth film over the digestive tract and the throat and protects them from the corrosive effect of the gastric acid. Its content of lauric acid makes it antiseptic that aids in the inhibition of microbial action that triggers the heartburn for acid reflux medication.
How to use?
- You can take half a teaspoon of olive oil twice daily to cure the acidity
- It is a suitable replacement for your regular cooking oil
6. Pine nut oil for acid reflux
Pine nut oil is highly beneficial for the treatment of acid reflux that occurs as a side effect of gastric ulcers in the intestinal lining of the stomach. It can also be used for the cure of chronic acid reflux, bloating, pain, abdominal cramps, indigestion, and flatulence.
How to use?
- Pine nut oil, when taken in a teaspoonful quantity twice or thrice in a day proves to be highly beneficial for the cure of acidity
7. Treat acid reflux with Ginger oil
If you are wondering on how to cure acid reflux cough at home, then try a few drops of the pungent essential oil of ginger. When taken twice daily before meals, ginger essential oil can effectively prevent the occurrence of acidity.
Its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties inhibit microbial action that triggers bitterness and cure the inflammation of intestinal walls caused by acidosis. Administration of ginger essential oil helps in the blockage of secretion of gastric acids and assists in the cure of gastric ulcers by the inhibition of the H. pylori bacteria.
How to use?
- Consume ginger essential oil in the form of ginger tea for the treatment of acidity
8. How to get rid of acid reflux with Eucalyptus oil?
The essential oil of eucalyptus is a potent healer of acid reflux. Its vasodilating nature helps in the increase of the size of blood vessels that enhances blood flow and checks the development of acid reflux. Its potent anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties are highly beneficial for the treatment of the symptoms of acidity.
How to use?
- Dilute a few drops of eucalyptus oil with water
- It can be taken twice in a day for acid reflux
Read More: Eucalyptus Oil Benefits
9. Treat acid reflux with Orange oil
The essential oil of orange is incredibly useful in the treatment of acid reflux in pregnancy. Administration of orange essential oil helps in the cure of acidity and abdominal muscle spasms associated with the disease. The sedative properties of orange essential oil help in the induction of slow and deep slumber after which you can wake up to discover that the acid reflux is no longer there.
Thus, it is highly effective in case the acidity is keeping you up at night. The potent anti-inflammatory action of orange oil helps in protecting the intestinal walls against oxidative damage, and its intake can be highly helpful for the alleviation of pain caused by acid reflux.
How to use?
- For the ingestion of orange essential oil, it is recommended to dilute the oil with water
- Take it twice in a day for acid reflux
10. How to cure acid reflux with Marjoram oil?
The significant warming and calming properties of the essential oil of marjoram make it exceedingly useful for the natural treatment of acid reflux(3). The anti-spasmodic nature of the oil helps in the prevention of abdominal spasms that gets associated with acid reflux.
How to use?
- Ingestion of marjoram oil in diluted form can help in keeping any spikes in blood pressure in check
- Keep arthritic pain at bay and cure indigestion, bloating and acidity
Side Effects of Using Essential Oils for Acid Reflux
Essential oils for acid reflux may cause some of the below-mentioned side effects
- Skin allergies
- Dermatological problems
- Worsening or non-response of the acid reflux to the oils
Risks of Using Essential Oils for Acid Reflux
The use of essential oils for acid reflux to attain a natural treatment may get risky for people with sensitive skin and digestive system. In worst cases, these systems may get affected by the essential oils by either functioning in an improper way or rejecting the cure entirely.
Precautions before Using Essential Oils for Acid Reflux
Consult a medical professional before the ingestion of essential oils for acid reflux capsules for the cure of acid reflux. Do a slight patch test before proceeding with topical application of the essential oil. Store the oil away from sunlight and in a dark glass vial.
Other Natural Remedies/ Home remedies for Acid Reflux
Enlisted below are some treatments that can help with the cure of acid reflux
- Have a cup of warm basil tea twice or thrice a day
- Chew on fennel after having meals
- Consumption of a cup of slightly seasoned buttermilk
- Chew on a couple of raw cloves and savoring its pungent juice
- Have a cup of warm cumin seed infusion twice or thrice a day
- Chew on bits of crushed and juicy ginger
- Have a glass of cold and non-sweetened milk
- Drink a glass of fresh coconut water
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What triggers acid reflux in adults?
Acid reflux in adults is often triggered by a hiatal hernia that causes the over secretion of gastric acid and causes heartburn.
2. Can acid reflux make you nauseous?
The excessive secretion of stomach acids can make you feel highly nauseous and even cause vomiting.
Essential oils are incredibly beneficial not only for the stomach but for the overall health of the digestive system. Instead of popping in a dozen ineffective drugs, try a few drops of diluted essential oils for quick relief from the disease of GERD and its painful symptoms.