Thinning hair is everyone’s worst nightmare, and watching your hair thinning all the way, can be extremely painful. Hair plays an important role in your style, looks, and personality. Running your hands and brushing your hair becomes things that you start to dread. With unhealthy lifestyles and pollution, hair fall, impaired growth, and hair thinning are common problems that people face now.
But it is necessary to maintain your hair healthier and stronger to style the way you want. It requires daily nourishment with the best essential oils to make it healthier and stronger. Essential oils like lavender oil, peppermint oil, vetiver oil, and rosemary oil have numerous benefits to fulfill your desires to have a strong and healthy hair. Read on to know more about essential oils for thinning hair. Go ahead.
Around 35 million males and 25 million females(1) are suffering from hair loss problem. At the age of 80, the hair loss rate in men becomes 70%, whereas, at the age of 35, it is 40%. In the case of females, at the age of 60, the hair loss rate is 80%.
Essential Oils for Thinning Hair
1. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil makes your hair strong and shiny. It strengthens the hair follicles and stimulates the scalp to prevent hair loss, balding, and hair thinning. Simple massaging with a mixture of lavender oil, thyme oil, and coconut oil makes the roots healthy and keeps the scalp enriched and moisturized.
- 2 teaspoons of lavender oil
- 2 teaspoons of thyme essential oil
- A tablespoon of coconut oil
- Combine the oils and apply it to your scalp and hair
- Massage your hair from the roots to the tips with gently
- Leave it on for about an hour
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with a mild herbal shampoo
Do this twice a week for the best results
2. Khus (Vetiver) Essential Oil
The khus or vetiver root oil(2) has potent cicatrizing properties that help in cell regeneration. This cicatrisants are cell-renewing agents that stimulate collagen formation, and it is a significant component for your hair. Thus, the oil is a big boost for hair to replenish collagen formation and bring back hair to life.
The antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties help with scalp inflammation and scalp ailments like eczema, dandruff, and psoriasis. The calming and soothing properties calm the irritated ad inflamed scalps. Read on to know how to use the oil for hair thinning effectively.
- 5 drops of khus (vetiver) oil
- 2 tbsp Jojoba oil
- Mix khus oil with jojoba oil
- Massage onto your scalp and hair with your fingertips
- Let it sit for a few hours
- Wash off your hair with mild-sulfate free shampoo and lukewarm water
Do it thrice a week for best results on hair thinning.
3. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary essential oil makes the hair soft and gorgeous. This oil enhances blood circulation and prevents hair breakage and hair thinning. The scalp nourishes with proteins and vitamins and prevents dry scalp diseases like scalp psoriasis. Rosemary oil establishes blood circulation in the scalp and promotes the healthy growth of thick hair.
- 10 drops of rosemary oil
- Apply and massage the oil onto your scalp and hair from the roots to the tips
- Leave it on for overnight
- Protect the masked hair with a shower cap
- Rinse your hair in the next morning with a mild herbal shampoo
Do this twice a week for best results
[Read: Rosemary Oil for Hair Loss]
4. Tea Tree Essential Oil
The best essential oil for thinning hair is tea tree oil. The oil helps unclog hair follicles and nourishes your hair roots. Applying down the shaft of the hair will help prevent the build-up of chemical and dead skin. Eventually, this keeps your hair moisturized and healthy, which can help it grow at its normal thickness and rate.
Also, the tea tree oil improves blood circulation, which helps to flush out toxins and stimulate dormant hair follicles. The antiseptic, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial ensure that your hair stays healthy and clean. Go ahead to know more about the best use of tea tree oil for hair thinning.
- 5 drops of tea tree oil
- 2 tbsp of carrier oil (coconut oil or olive oil)
- Combine tea tree oil with a carrier oil of your choice
- Heat the oil mixture until it is slightly warm
- The section your hair and rub the warm oil onto your scalp and along the length of your hair
- Massage it for 10-15 minutes once the entire scalp is fully covered with the oil
- Wrap a hot damp towel around your head and wait for 20 minutes to create a warm environment to open up and unclog your hair follicles
- Wash off the oil with a mild sulfate-free shampoo
It is recommended to treat your hair with hot oil mixture not more than 3 times a week.
5. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is highly packed with nourishing and conditioning properties. The antifungal, antibacterial, and antiseptic properties in peppermint oil treat dandruff and head lice. Besides, the pungent aroma of peppermint oil lifts your mood, increases energy, and relieves stress. Read on to know how to use peppermint oil and castor oil for thinning hair.
- 5 drops of peppermint oil
- 2 tbsp of castor oil
- Combine peppermint oil with castor oil
- Massage the mixture onto your scalp for 20 minutes
- Leave the oil in your hair for another 30 minutes
- Rinse out the oil in the end with lukewarm water and mild sulfate-free shampoo
Do it 3 -4 times a week for better hair growth.
Essential oils show wondrous results for hair thinning with its numerous properties, such as antibacterial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant effects. Give it a try with the best essential oils for hair thinning and see the results for yourself.
Follow these remedies with essential oils for thinning hair on a daily basis, as mentioned above. Embrace the natural effects and potential benefits of essential oil and regain your hot look and style your hair the way you want.
[Read: Vitamins for Hair Thinning]
1. What to Eat for Thicker Hair?
Maintain a balanced and healthy diet is a vital part of ensuring that your hair is growing out healthy. The foods that you should include in your diet to curb hair fall are: spinach, salmon, eggs, oysters, liver, poultry, oatmeal, lentils, cinnamon, yogurt, guava, sweet potato, halibut, and barley
2. What Are the Solutions That Help Reduce Hair Loss?
The top solutions that help reduce hair loss include regular washing your hair with a mild shampoo, avoid brushing wet hair, enrich the diet with protein, intaking vitamins for hair loss, keeping your self-hydrated, and massaging your scalp with essential oils.
3. How Does Ylang Ylang Essential Oil Help Treat Hair Thinning Problem?
Ylang ylang essential oil promotes hair growth by relaxing the tight scalp muscles, which can lead to hair thinning and hair loss. Also, the oil helps to treat both dry and dull hair as well as oily hair by balancing the scalp oils.