The accumulation of pressure inside the sinuses causes Sinus headaches. The air-filled small spaces behind the Cheekbone and forehead & bridge of the nose are called the Sinuses. An allergic reaction or infection caused inflammation in the sinus, which increases the mucus production, thereby leading to blockage and swelling on the mucus draining channels.
Due to all these, a pressure is built up inside the sinuses and triggers off a headache.
If you are suffering from a Sinus headache, there are a number of essential oils that can help you by providing a long lasting relief.
Symptoms of a Sinus Headache
- When one experiences a deep and lasting pain behind the cheekbones and bridge of the nose, it can be a sign of a sinus headache.
- When pain is felt when the head position is changed.
- When headaches are accompanied by swelling of the face, a fever and a general heaviness around the area, it can be diagnosed as a sinus headache.
Causes of a Sinus Headache
Sinus headache(1)s are in most circumstances, caused by infection and inflammation of the nasal passage which then leads to congestion. This causes pain and pressure in the forehead and behind the cheekbones
What Essential oils are good for sinus headaches
The benefits of natural substances like essential oils are that they go and cure the root of the problem rather than just treating the symptoms temporarily. Other pharma drugs cause various side effects and affect the kidney and liver adversely. Also, one can use the number of essential oils for sinus headaches(2) according to the level and degree of pain that one is experiencing.
Some hormonal treatments which in usage for headache cure can create disasters especially in a woman’s body. They can even worsen a headache. On the contrary, essential oils are a milder and much natural treatment for such maladies, especially in pregnant women.
Stress is also a significant factor in elevating sinus headaches, and they can disrupt normal sleep patterns.
Let us look at some of the beneficial essential oils for sinus headache treatment
[Read: Treat Sinus Infection Naturally]
1. Peppermint Essential Oil for a Sinus Headache
This natural oil works as a coolant and works to reduce the contractions in the forehead area. It improves blood circulation in and around the temples which can further alleviate a headache.
Why use Peppermint essential oil for a sinus headache
It calms the swelling around the ears and relieves the constant and hammering pain experienced during a sinus headache.
How to use peppermint essential oil for a sinus headache?
One can mix three drops of peppermint oil with coconut oil and apply it to the forehead and shoulders. It will minimize the pain and alleviate the heaviness associated with sinus headaches.
2. Eucalyptus Essential Oil for a Sinus Headache
It is known to unblock the blocked passageways which can be a significant relief in relieving the sinus headache.
Why use Eucalyptus essential oil for a sinus headache
- This essential oil flushes out harmful toxins from the body
- Also, it works on emotional health by having a positive effect on the mood.
- It stabilizes blood pressure and pain just by inhaling it.
- Most importantly, it helps in releasing the build-up of pressure inside the sinuses which is a significant factor in relieving the sinus headaches.
- Its reported to clear lungs and treat runny noses.
- It is best known for its antimicrobial and antibacterial and antiviral properties.
How to use eucalyptus essential oil for a sinus headache
Mix four drops of eucalyptus oil with coconut oil and apply it to the forehead and back of the neck for relief from a headache and associated symptoms.
[Read: Natural Treatment for Headache]
3. Clove essential oil for a sinus headache
It is a popular analgesic, meaning it relieves pain. When applied topically on the skin, it is absorbed inside and improves the circulation by opening up the blood vessels.
Why use clove essential oil for a sinus headache
Thanks to the compound EUGENOL present in clove oil which relieves pain very quickly on contact with the painful area. It’s one among the best natural substances in reducing pain.
Its potent anti-inflammatory properties relax the tensed muscles.
How to use essential oil for a sinus headache
- Inhaling clove oil can be the best remedy as it directly reaches the brain and starts its healing effect.
- It can be either mixed in the hot water bath because it will blend in the steam and allow your body to inhale the scent better and act upon the problem areas.
- Alternatively, it can be mixed with coconut oil and be diffused in the air.
4. Camphor essential oil for a sinus headache
According to ancient Ayurveda, camphor oil is widely in use as a counter-irritant and stimulant for various diseases including sinus headaches.
Why useCamphor essential oil for a sinus headache
It opens up prana and helps clear the mind. From olden times, in India, it is widely used in spiritual ceremonies. Its antirheumatic, an expectorant, used as an antiseptic, anti congestant and antispasmodic. This oil works in reducing inflammation by anesthetizing the sensory nerves of the peripheral nervous system. This is the way it discharges harmful toxins from the body along with excess water content.
How to use camphor essential oil for a sinus headache
Mix 2 drops of camphor oil with two drops of frankincense oil and two drops of eucalyptus oil along with 4 ml of coconut oil. Massage this blend on the affected area and watch how it relieve the stiffness and pain and swelling.
Also, one can add two drops of camphor oil to a bath, and it will induce a calm sleep and a feeling of peace and tranquillity.
[Read: Acupressure for Sinus Infections]
5. Frankincense essential oil for a sinus headache
It is best known for its anti-inflammatory properties.
Why use frankincense essential oil for a sinus headache
It has tranquilizing and analgesic properties which can very effectively alleviate painful headaches and migraines, mainly caused by stress and anxiety.
How to use frankincense essential oil for a sinus headache
Apply it topically on the forehead area mixed with coconut oil. Also, it can be diffused in the air for a healing aroma.
Dos and Don’ts
- Do make sure that your essential oils are contamination free.
- Do dilute it before topical application as these oils are highly concentrated.
- Do not leave oils in extreme temperature.
- Do not place them in direct sunlight.
- Do not store in plastic containers.
- Don’t boil or heat.
One must exercise all possible precautions by taking every step to research essential oils thoroughly. Blind dependence on them may land you into serious troubles. Make sure to keep these oils out of reach of small children. Avoid using these oils if on certain medications. Pregnant and breastfeeding women shall maintain their distance from such fuels.
- Essential oils can cause burns if you go out in sunlight. Reaction from photosensitizing oils can cause skin discoloration and sores too.
- These oils can deteriorate your existing medical conditions.
- They are highly unsafe for pregnant and breastfeeding women as well as babies.
- They can cause irritation and itching.
Other Home Remedies
- Flush Nasal Passages with cold water.
- Take steam from a steamer also helps.
- Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water every day to stay hydrated
- Use a humidifier in your home.
Essential oils for a sinus headache can provide excellent relief with sinus headaches and are equally less expensive and dangerous than other remedies. The anti-inflammatory and anti-analgesic properties of these oils naturally alleviate any pain that affects you. One thing that is a requirement on your part is to use such gifts of nature carefully.
They prove useless if not used in the manner they are supposed to be used. And in extreme of circumstances may prove detrimental to your health. Hence, use these elixirs of living wisely. Next time you that headache attacks you, be sure to reach out for a bottle of essential oils for a sinus headache!