Every morning brings a new ray of hope and happiness to every soul. But for some unfortunate people, morning starts with a sharp pain in their head and heaviness around their eyes and cheeks. You can never think how sad this could be for that person. Don’t worry! If you are in search of a terrific remedy for your sinus pain, then this article will enrich you with some of the best natural ways on how to get rid of a sinus headache.
What is a sinus headache?
Sinuses are basically air-filled regions in your cheekbones, forehead and at the back of your nose. When an infection or an allergic reaction causes inflammation, these spaces get swell and work to produce an excess of mucus. This excessive fluid renders the draining tubes blocked, which in turn creates pressure in your sinuses. This pressure feels like pain and is known as sinus pressure headache.
What are sinus headache causes?
Viruses and bacteria are the most common causes of severe sinus headache pain. Sometimes, fungal infections also lead to a sinus headache. Tumors are the least common cause of chronic sinus headache pain.
What are sinus headache symptoms?
If your mind is questioning what does a sinus headache feel like then here are a few signs of sinus headache.
- A runny or stuffy nose
- A feeling of ear fullness
- Swelling in face
- Pain in cheekbones, forehead
How to get rid of a sinus headache using natural and home remedies?
1. How to relieve yourself from a chronic sinus headache with foods?
A sinus headache is a common problem which you can keep at bay by including the following foods in your diet.
Intake of these rich, tiny storehouses of nutrients, not only tickles your taste buds but also helps you to get relief from sinus headache pressure build-up. You can eat everybody’s favorite kidney beans by making a tasty curry from it, or you can add boiled beans to your salad.
These hot, spicy vegetables can clear sinuses giving you relief from pain. Its vital compound capsaicin reduces inflammation. Make sure to add peppers to your diet but wisely.
This tangy fruit is rich in antioxidants which protect the thin mucus membranes. The enzymes of the fruit help to get rid of fluid build-up in sinuses. Enjoy the taste of pineapple by dicing it into slices, or you can also make a healthy glass of juice from it.
This spicy root helps to reduce inflammation and increase mucus production. It also boasts of antibiotic properties which help to avoid an infection and sinus headache.
Foods to avoid in a sinus headache:
- Chocolates and pastries
- Soy sauce
- Dairy products like cheese
[Read: Home Remedies for Headache]
2. How to get rid of a sinus headache by using herbs?
Certain herbs work magically in recovering the human body from disease. It is always advisable to prefer the use of herbs in the treatment of a sinus headache rather than pills.
· Treat sinus with holy basil tea
Holy basil is like a boon regarding treating respiratory disorders.
How to use?
- Take 5-6 holy basil leaves
- Infuse them in water and boil it for a few minutes
- Drain the tea and add 1 teaspoon of honey into it if you want
- Drink it with small sips and try and take it as hot as you can bear
Holy basil has anti-inflammatory properties that work directly on mucus congestion and helps to clear it immediately. When taken hot with the help of small sips, its aroma gets infused slowly but steadily into your body and keeps the sinus at bay for a long time.
Still,if you are thinking about what herbs to take for a sinus headache, then here is a guide:
Precautions while using herbs to get rid of a constant sinus headache:
- Make sure that you intake a fixed quantity of these herbs. An excess can affect you adversely
- If you are allergy-prone, then consult a doctor before using them
[Read: Herbs for Sinus Infection]
3. How to get rid of a sinus headache with essential oils?
Essential oils prove to be very useful in giving relief from a sinus headache pain. Sinus headache location differs from person to person. You can experience a sinus headache( at the back of the head or the top of your head. Use the following essential oils for a sinus headache.
· Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil boasts of an impressive list of health benefits. Its antiseptic and antimicrobial effects on the human body help to destroy germs that cause sinus infections. It also boosts the immune system of the body.
· Lavender essential oil
Lavender is famous for its relaxing capabilities, but owing to the presence of antimicrobial properties, the oil helps to clean sinus cavities. It also kills infection-causing bacteria in a go.
· Peppermint oil
A storehouse of anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties, the minty peppermint oil is ideal for the treatment of a sinus infection. It reduces the swelling and provides relief from the sinus headache nausea.
· Eucalyptus oil
This terrific essential oil eliminates airborne particles that cause infections in sinuses. If you are in search of how to get rid of a sinus headache, then this oil is your perfect solution.
· Rosemary essential oil
Apart from being a culinary ingredient, rosemary oil is also vital for curing an allergic sinus headache.
Recipes for how to get rid of a sinus headache using essential oils
Recipe #1- As a roller
- Four drops of peppermint essential oil
- Four drops of lavender essential oil
- Two drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- Jojoba oil
- Ten ml roller bottle
- Add all the essential oils to the roller bottle
- Now add the jojoba oil to fill the space in the bottle
- Don’t fill the bottle to the top
- Shake the bottle after putting the cap
- Now use this oil mixture over your forehead, cheekbones, and temples to get relief
- Make sure that the oil does not seep into your eyes
Recipe #2- Rub
- Half a cup of beeswax
- Half cup coconut oil
- Twenty drops of peppermint oil
- Twenty drops of eucalyptus oil
- Ten to fifteen drops of rosemary oil
- Eight to ten drops of cinnamon oil
- Add grated beeswax and coconut oil in a mason jar
- Now add about three inches of water
- Put it on a flame so that it melts down
- Add essential oils to this mixture
- Now allow this mixture to cool
- Apply it on the affected area
Preventions to follow while using essential oils for how to get rid of a sinus pain
- Use 100 percent pure quality essential oils
- If you have a sinus pain while pregnancy, use the essential oils on the recommendation from a doctor
- Dilute these oils with a carrier oil before using on your skin
- If you are allergy-prone, then consult a doctor before using these essential oils
4. How to get rid of a sinus pain with natural remedies?
· Take a hot Epsom salt bath
Wondering how to get rid of a sinus headache with a bath? Read on to find out.
How to use?
- Fill your bathtub with warm water
- Add 1 cup of Epsom salt and a half cup of baking soda into it
- Add 8-10 drops of tea tree oil and mix the ingredients into the water thoroughly
- Soak in this warm and cozy bath for 15-20 minutes
- Your sinus headache will get relieved very soon
Epsom salt is known to pull out all the harmful toxins from the body and gives you a relaxing experience. On the other hand, tea tree oil has anti-bacterial properties that help to fight the infection that causes sinus. The hot fumes of the water containing a mix to Epsom salt and baking powder relaxes you completely and helps to cure a headache significantly.
5. How to treat sinus pain with natural supplements?
Bromelain and Quercetin are the two powerful natural supplements that will end your search for how to get rid of a sinus headache. Bromelain comes from enzymes found in a pineapple while quercetin is a flavonoid supplement. These supplements help to clear nasal passage, reduce nasal swelling and also reduce the incidence of allergy by preventing the release of histamine.
Other home remedies to cure sinus headaches
Some of the other home remedies that treat a sinus headache include:
- Apply warm compresses to your face. It helps to break nasal passages
- Enjoy relief from a severe sinus pain by standing in a steamy shower and breathing deeply. The warm shower would allow proper drainage and will provide instant headache relief
- Run a cool humidifier in your room as dry air often triggers a dry sinus headache
- Add spice to your meals. Spicy food reduces a sinus headache by relieving pressure pain
- Use acupressure. Press the sinus headache relief pressure points and lessen the pain
Sinus Headache vs Migraine
A sinus headache appears as a pressure build-up in your sinuses resulting in pain in forehead and back of the nose. However, migraine comes as a throbbing pain by triggers such as light or stress. Although often confused to be similar, it is good to keep a proper check on the symptoms of the two problems to differentiate between them.
Sinus pain is a common problem which has some natural remedies. After reading this article, you can now treat your headache with ease. This article explains you about what exactly a sinus headache is and that you should not confuse it with migraine pain. Before you came across this article, you must have broken the keys of your keypad searching every possible site showing results for how to get rid of a sinus headache.
Why hide a problem when you can treat it with natural and herbal ways? Sinus headache treatment becomes comfortable with these home remedies and natural therapies that work magically in providing relief from sinus pain and relieves you from the nightmare of waking up with a sinus headache.