Whether juiced, frozen, or raw, prunes are not only delectable but also incredibly beneficial for health. The vast array of health benefits of prunes are lovely and should get roped into the daily diet for the natural treatment of hundreds of different ailments.
What are Prunes?
A prune is a kind of plum fruit that dries into a shriveled, sweet, and tangy dry fruit. Only the d’Agen variety of plums can get converted into prunes. The plums mature and acquire a deep shade of purple which indicates the increased saturation of sugar and acid. The most suitable variety of plums are the freestone plums that do not ferment during the drying stage of conversion from plums to prunes.
Prunes Nutrition Profile
Prune is a superfood owing rich density of nutrients and dietary fibrous contents.
The different nutrients present in prunes comprise of lutein-zeaxanthin, cryptoxanthin, carotene, zinc, selenium, phosphorus, manganese, magnesium, iron, copper, calcium, potassium, vitamins A, C, E, K, thiamin, riboflavin, pyridoxine, pantothenic acid, niacin, folate, fiber, proteins, and carbohydrates. Even prunes calories are about 23 in one prune.
Are Prunes Good for You?
There is nothing more remarkable for health than fresh fruits and green vegetables. Dry fruits like raisins and prunes are delicious and delightfully healthy. They are highly beneficial for health. The incredible health benefits of prunes include prevention and cure of cancer, preservation of cardiac health, prevention of anemia, improvement of body immunity and more.
Top 8 Impressive Health Benefits of Prunes
1. How to use the Benefits of Prunes for Constipation?
Prunes are incredibly useful for the natural treatment of constipation. Its dietary fibrous content can cure irritable bowel syndrome as well. The fiber adds bulk to the stool and eases the passing out of the hardened feces through the colon by making it comfortably soft. Regular consumption of 100 grams of prunes can ensure healthy bowel movement and proper digestion. Its dietary fibrous content can prevent and cure indigestion and abdominal cramps.
2. How to use Dried Prunes for Healthy Digestion?
The benefits of prunes are highly effective for the digestive system. The high fibrous content of dried prunes not only regulate the movement of bowels but also cure indigestion and other stomach troubles like irritable bowel movement and constipation.
Consumption of organic prunes on a daily basis can catalyze the biochemical process of digestion and accelerate its speed and efficiency. The prunes fiber is powerful enough to prevent gastrointestinal disorders such as bloating, constipation, diarrhea, intestinal inflammation, flatulence, abdominal cramps, acid reflux, stomach ache and more.
3. How to use the Benefits of Prunes Juice for the Natural Cure of Urinary Tract Infection?
One of the most beautiful health benefits of prunes is the natural cure of infection and inflammation in the urinary canal. Drinking prunes juice helps in increasing the frequency of urination and the volume of urine output. This remedy helps in keeping the urinary duct cleansed and free of harmful bacteria.
Prunes juice is rich in phytonutrients and compounds like lutein-zeaxanthin, cryptoxanthin, carotene, etc. that are potent antioxidants which protect the urinary tract against oxidative stress inflicted by toxic free radicals. Regular consumption of prunes juice helps in the inhibition of bacterial action in the urinary tract and the flushing out of the toxins and pathogens from the urinary bladder.
It also decreases the risks of urinary tract infection and creates an acidic environment with its rich content of vitamin C to prevent the breeding of germs and bacteria.
4. How to use Virgin Prunes for the Cure of Muscle Cramps?
The natural cure of muscle cramps and pain is one of the most effective health benefits of prunes. Virgin prunes exhibit the potent antispasmodic property that helps in curing muscle spasms and aid in the alleviation of muscle pain, redness, and swelling in the affected area. Regular consumption of prunes helps in the natural treatment of stiffness of muscles and tautness of nerves.
The antioxidants present in it prevents the infliction of oxidative stress upon the muscles. Its analgesic nature aid in the alleviation of pain and cure cramps and aches in no time. Eating prunes are also beneficial for the cure of abdominal cramps felt during the bleeding phase of menstrual cycle.
5. How to use Pitting Prunes for Healthy Bones and Teeth?
The rich nutritional composition of prunes makes it remarkably beneficial for the health and strength of teeth and bones. This home remedy is one of the best health benefits of prunes.
They contain a host of minerals that include calcium, phosphorus, zinc, selenium, manganese, magnesium, iron, copper, etc. that contribute in the strengthening of teeth and bones, enhancing their mineral density and increasing their hardness and strength. Regular consumption of prunes can fight weakness of bones, brittleness of teeth, rickets and decaying strength of bones and teeth.
6. How to use Organic Prunes for the Preservation of Cardiovascular Health?
The health benefits of prunes for the cardiac system include protection of the heart from strokes and sudden cardiac attacks. The rich content of fiber and potassium helps in making it highly beneficial for the healthy functioning of the heart. The potassium, present in prunes, serves as a vasodilating agent and keeps the arteries duly dilated for the healthy flow of blood.
Its dietary fibrous content helps in the removal of cholesterol deposits on the arterial walls thereby preventing atherosclerosis and limited circulation of blood. It also helps in the unclogging of arteries by the elimination of fatty deposits from the walls and linings which tend to constrict the flow of blood and make the heart prone to cardiac arrest and strokes.
The dried prunes are rich in lutein-zeaxanthin, kryptoxanthin, a carotene that are potent antioxidants. These antioxidants eliminate the toxic free radicals that inflict oxidative stress upon the heart and protect the cardiovascular system from fatal disorders and diseases.
7. How to use Prunes for Healthy Skin?
The health benefits of prunes for skin include controlling the breakout of acne and pimples, elimination of blemishes, cure of skin rashes, allergies, sunburns, insect bites, and minor cuts and wounds. Topical application of prunes juice and yogurt on the skin helps to keep the skin hydrated and healthy.
8. How to use Prunes for Healthy Hair?
The health benefits of prunes for hair include improvement in the quality of hair, cure of dandruff and lice, and natural hydration of the scalp. Its topical application and coconut oil paste helps in healing and curing the scalp.
Prunes and Oatmeal Bun
- 2 cups of chopped prunes
- 1 cup of oatmeal
- One teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/3rd of a cup of coconut oil
- Four tablespoons of boiling water
- 2-3 eggs
- 1 cup of honey
- 2 cups of wheat flour
- One teaspoon of powdered cinnamon
- Preheat the microwave oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine the oats, prunes, water, coconut oil, and baking soda in a bowl with slight stirring
- Set this bowl aside
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl
- Pour the honey into the egg batter and whisk again
- Add powdered cinnamon with gentle stirring
- Pour in prunes and oats mixture from the small bowl into the large pan
- Mix the batter thoroughly until it attains a smooth consistency
- Pour the batter into a buttered baking bowl
- Bake the mixture in the oven for about 40-45 minutes or as long as the testing stick inserted into the loaf of bread appears clean on being pulled out of it
- Let the hot bun simmer down on the wire rack
- Slice the pastry and serve warm with coffee or hot chocolate
- 20 pitting prunes
- 1/2 a cup of honey
- One teaspoon of cinnamon
- One teaspoon of cornstarch
- Take the prunes in a saucepan
- Pour the water and let it get soaked
- Boil the soaked prunes in a lidded pot for about 10 minutes
- Drain out the water and chop the boiled prunes
- Add a cup of hot water along with honey, ground cinnamon and the sticks of cinnamon
- Boil the contents over a low flame with a little stirring now and then for about 10-15 minutes
- In a separate bowl mix the water and cornstarch to make the slurry
- Pour in the mixture of water and cornstarch into the cooking pot and cook for another 4-5 minutes
- Discard the cinnamon sticks and let the pudding simmer down. Refrigerate the pudding for about an hour
- Garnish the dessert with chopped prunes and nuts and serve chilled
Side Effects of Prunes
- Allergic response
- Interference with drugs and medications
- Skin rash and irritation of the skin
- Gastric disorders
Prunes vs. Plums
A prune is a dry fruit version of the juicy plum. Only the d’Agen variety of plums can get converted into prunes.
If you are craving for an evening snack, then try a cup of dried prunes or a glass of prunes juice for healthy and delicious snacking. You can also get benefits of prunes by having it with yogurt and fruit salad. The incorporation of dried prunes into the daily diet is remarkably beneficial for health, can address hundred different ailments and also helps to stay fit and gorgeous.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do prunes help you poop?
The dietary fibrous content of prunes help in the regulation of bowel movement and cure constipation and irritable bowel movement.
2. How many prunes is too many?
A serving of prunes of more than 100 grams is considered excessive for consumption and might cause diarrhea and acid reflux.
3. How long do prunes take to work?
Prunes take about a couple of days to work on the health of hair, skin, and general physiology.