Age spots or Liver Spots (also known as solar lentigines) are caused due to continued exposure to the Sun. They may also result from aging or exposure to other harmful radiation (like UV rays).
Essential Oils prove very useful in diminishing the intensity of these age spots. First employed by the Egyptians for religious and medicinal purposes, today, these essential oils are used to treat age spots. They serve as natural remedies for the regeneration of cells and avoid skin dryness and irritation caused by other products.
- Age spots are common among a particular race of people called the Caucasians or the White Americans.
- The prevalence of solar lentigines in White Americans is seen to be more than 50% (1).
Essential oils play an indispensable role in reducing hyperpigmentation. But, which essential oils should one employ for age spots and dark spots?
Try These Essential Oils for Age Spots
1. Lavender Essential Oil
The lavender essential oil has wide-ranging benefits. It reduces acne, wrinkles, age spots, skin tone, etc. Lavender Essential Oil is essentially an antibacterial agent that cures skin acne. It functions as an antifungal agent, too (2). Additionally, it is a soothing remedy for hyper-pigmentation, which not only soothing properties but also regenerative ones.
You need lavender essential oil. For a pure herbal one, buy oils like the Khadi Pure Herbal Essential Oil, etc.
Follow either of these two approaches to use it.
- Apply the lavender oil on the pigmented area (manually or with a dropper) and give it a smooth massage.
- Instead, you can also mix the oil with a suitable carrier oil like coconut oil, argan oil, etc.
2. Geranium Essential Oil
Geranium Essential Oil is used in medicines, soaps, aromatherapy, and cosmetics and proves as a remedy for all.
It treats in the following ways.
- It has anti-microbial properties. Hence, it keeps your skin healthy.
- Regulates sebum production, thereby reducing the age spots and their intensity.
- Increases the water retention in the skin, thus hydrating the skin, thereby making skin look young.
Blend it with a carrier oil. Pomegranate seed oil works as the best base oil for geranium essential oil.
Mix the following ingredients in the given proportion and wait to see positive results.
- Geranium Essential Oil (of rose): about three drops
- Argan oil: about (30ml)
- Lovage essential oil: about four drops.
- Cinnamon essential oil: about five drops.
3. Carrot Seed Essential Oil
Carrot seed essential oil is extracted from the plant, Daucuscarota. In addition to the anti-carcinogenic properties, it is loved by people for its antioxidant properties (3). Its regenerative activity works at the cellular and tissue level, which reduces the age spots. Carrot seed oil nourishes the deeper layers of the skin and fades away the spots.
The carrot seed oil contains a substance called ‘beta carotene,’ an agent to reduce dark spots. It is concentrated since it is an essential oil. Therefore, it is crucial to mix it with any other oil to use it effectively.
Mix the following ingredients with carrot essential oil to massage on the affected areas.
- Ten drops: Carrot seed essential oil.
- Ten drops: Rose essential oil.
- ½ cup: Apricot Kernel Oil.
[Also Read: How to Get Rid Of Age Spots]
4. Rose Essential Oil
It is an all-rounder, as it exhibits multiple characteristics. Rose essential oil for skin keeps fit and healthy. It is a cure for preventing the growth of bacteria, for curing the age spots, etc. It is an anti-inflammatory agent that boosts the process of cellular regeneration. Whether you have wrinkles or age spots, rose essential oil is a perfect solution.
A proportionate blend of three essential oils–Frankincense Essential Oil, Rose Essential Oil, and Carrot Seed Essential Oil proves as an effective remedy for age spots.
- Rose Essential Oil: 1 teaspoon
- Carrot Seed Essential Oil: 1 drop
- Frankincense Essential Oil: 1 drop.
Applying this blend on the scars will heal these scars and will keep your skin live longer than usual.
5. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil mainly focuses on reducing hyperpigmentation, skin tone, and age spots. As it lightens the skin tone, it is present in scrubs.
A study suggests that lemon essential oil undoes the skin damage done due to the Sun (4). However, it increases the skin’s sensitivity to the Sun. Hence, avoid going out in the Sun for 3-4 hours after applying citrus oil.
- Make your scrub by using ¼ cup coconut oil, ¼ cup brown sugar, 15 drops of lemon essential oil, and two tablespoons of honey.
- But, for an easy way out, take some moisturizer in your palm and put one drop of oil to it.
- Another way is to add nine drops of lemon oil to your serum. Shake it well.
6. Sandalwood Essential Oil
It is an essential oil for age spots and is being used for many years. You will find it in aftershaves, and also skin toners. However, this oil other benefits, such as:
- It is antimicrobial, antiseptic, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory effects.
- Most importantly, it is an anti-aging property.
Due to its wide-ranging therapeutic benefits, it is employed by most people to treat age spots.
To use sandalwood oil, it is imperative that you make it less concentrated by mixing it either with a lotion or good carrier oil. After blending it, take some of it and massage it on the affected area.
Even though age spots begin with less intensity, they go on to become large dark patches on the skin, which appear bad. Although they mostly occur in the elderly, young people can also develop these spots due to a lot of exposure to the Sun or the harmful ultraviolet rays.
However, it is necessary to try these essential oils to diminish their pigmentation and to make your skin look healthy and flawless. Having healthy skin will surely let you move around with confidence. Nobody wants age spots, so why wait? Try these essential oils to have soothing skin.
[Also Read: Home Fixes for Age Spots ( Liver Spots)]
1. Which Are the Other Essential Oils for Age Spots?
Although medical treatments like laser therapy do exist, people want a less risky procedure. Hence, essential oils are perfect remedies. They are extracted from plants and are free of chemicals. Frankincense Essential Oil and Castor Essential Oil along with other essential oils like lavender essential oil, geranium essential oil, etc. are good for treating age spots.
[Also Read: Benefits of Age Spots For Frankincense Oil]
2. How Is Lavender Oil Helpful for Age Spots?
It contains linalyl acetate which acts as an anti-inflammatory agent responsible for reducing scars.
Since it is a plant derivative, it reduces acne, wrinkles, age spots, skin tone, etc. It is a soothing remedy for hyper-pigmentation. Not only does it have pacifying properties, but also regenerative ones.