Do you dream of youthful skin, but contrary to your desires, your skin has started aging? It is time to take things in your hands and get clear of the age spots that are making you look older than what you feel. If the pigmented spots are appearing on your skin and causing much worry, then try some fantastic home remedies for how to get rid of age spots and reduce those ugly marks significantly.
What are Age Spots?
Age spots are patches of dark, pigmented skin that appear on the surface of your skin. Also known as solar lentigines and liver spots, these are common in people who have crossed the 40 age mark, but may also appear in younger people who spend a lot of time out in the sun. Age spots are harmless, but these can significantly alter your appearance. If you are looking for how to get rid of liver spots, then there are some natural remedies that you can employ to lighten them.
What Causes Age Spots?
The ultraviolet radiations of the sun increase the production of melanin, a dark brown pigment found in the skin. Overproduction of melanin causes age spots or liver spots.
Symptoms of Age Spots
- Flat and oval pigmented areas
- The spots are dark brown, black and tan
Natural Remedies for Age Spot Removal
Age spots are harmless and do not require any medical treatment. But these are undoubtedly unpleasant to look at. If the slight appearance of age spots on the face has started worrying you and you are looking for how to get rid of age spots naturally, then you are at the right place. This article provides you with simple home remedies for how to get rid of liver spots. Employ them and get visible results in no time.
1. Foods that can Effectively Treat Age Spots
Know How to Get Rid of Age Spots using Lemon
Lemon is well-known for its lightening properties. Hence, it is an excellent remedy for how to get rid of liver spots fast. Just head to your kitchen, grab a lemon and lighten your age spots on skin smoothly.
How to use?
- Take a lemon and squeeze the juice in a bowl
- Soak a cotton ball in the lemon juice
- Apply the fluid using the cotton ball on the pigmented areas
- Leave it for around twenty minutes
- After that, wash the area with water
- Repeat this activity for a week or two to see the liver spots on the skin fade
Benefits of Lemon
Lemon is a natural bleaching agent. The citric acid and Vitamin C present in it, aid in the lightening of the liver spots on the face and arms.
If you have sensitive skin, then do a skin patch test with lemon juice before using the remedy. If the pure lemon juice is irritating your skin, then you can dilute it by adding the same amount of water.
Foods to eat
Studies have shown that consuming a healthy and balanced diet can prevent the damage caused to the skin with aging. If you wish to avoid old age spots, then include the following foods in your diet:
- Foods rich in Omega-3 Fatty acids
Foods to avoid:
Some foods are known to cause skin pigmentation. Avoid these to lessen your probability of developing age spots.
2. Herbal Treatments for How to Remove Age Spots
Use Aloe Vera for Lightening Age Spots on Arms and Legs
Aloe vera is one of the best gifts of nature with countless benefits. The plant is known to contain some remarkable properties that can treat numerous conditions related to skin and hair. You can also pick it for removing age spots on hands and legs. Read the following points to know how to get rid of liver spots with aloe vera.
How to use?
- Take an aloe vera leaf
- Cut it from the middle and squeeze out fresh aloe vera gel
- Apply the gel on the area with age spots
- Leave it for around twenty minutes
- After that, wash off with water
- You can use this remedy every day to get quick results.
Benefits of Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a source of essential vitamins like A, B, C and E along with amino acids and beta-carotene that lend the plant skin nourishing properties. Application of aloe vera gel clears pigmentation and spots that occur due to aging. It nourishes your skin and makes it soft and supple.
Some people are allergic to aloe vera. Hence do a skin patch test to know your sensitivity to the plant before using it. Wear gloves when extracting aloe vera gel as you may experience irritation due to aloin, a component found in the lining of the aloe vera leaves.
3. Use Essential Oils for Age Spots Removal
Helichrysum Essential Oil is Excellent How to Get Rid of Age Spots Remedy
Essential oils have potent skin healing and soothing properties. Thus, these have become a popular remedy for treating various skin conditions. Your how to get rid of liver spots worry gets easily solved by Helichrysum Essential Oil. It can work wonders for your skin and can effectively treat age spots on legs, and other body parts.
How to use?
- Mix a few drops of Helichrysum Essential oil in a carrier oil
- Apply the blend directly on the age spots using a Q-tip
- Alternatively, you can also massage the mixture on the affected area
- Repeat this procedure for some time to see results.
Helichrysum Essential Oil has strong regenerative and skin healing properties which make it a useful remedy for how to get rid of age spots remedy. Application of the oil boosts new cell production and reduces the damage caused by aging.
Always use Helichrysum Essential Oil with a carrier oil. Application of it in concentrated form can harm your skin.
4. Home Remedies for Lightening Age Spots
Potato and Honey Paste for Lightening Liver Spots on Hands
Worrying about how to get rid of age spots? Lighten the liver spots on legs, arms and back with the magical home remedy of potato and honey. The application of the paste significantly reduces the age spots and brings back your bright and clear skin.
How to use?
- Take a potato and peel it
- After that, grate the potato and strain it to get fresh potato juice
- To the potato juice, add honey to make a paste
- Apply this paste using a cotton ball to the affected area
- Leave it for around fifteen minutes and then wash off with fresh water
Benefits of potato and honey paste
The starch and sugar present in potato and honey exfoliates your skin and removes the dead skin cells, thus boosting the production of new cells. Also, the potato is a rich source of essential vitamins and minerals like Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, phosphorous, zinc, etc., that increases the production of collagen which plays a vital role in skin repair.
To get the maximum result, use organic or raw honey. Processed honey lacks the essential nutrients and may not give significant results.
5. How to Get Rid of Age Spots with Natural Treatments?
Lighten the Liver Spots on the Back and Legs with Sandalwood
Sandalwood paste is one of the most effective home remedies for treating age spots on legs, shoulders, and face.
How to use?
- Take two tablespoons of sandalwood powder
- Add to it two teaspoons of rose water and a teaspoon each of lemon juice and glycerin
- Mix the contents to form a paste
- Apply the paste on the liver spots on arms and legs
- Let it dry and then wash off with cold water
Benefits of sandalwood paste
Sandalwood has magical anti-aging properties. It reduces pigmentation and thus is useful how to get rid of age spot remedy.
Sandalwood is expensive. If you do not want to spend much, then try other remedies mentioned above.
How to Prevent Age Spots?
Age spots are not beautiful to get. These are unsightly, and no one likes to get them. Of course, you can lighten them with how to get rid of age spots remedies mentioned above, but it would be better if you can prevent them. Evade age stops by taking the following measures.
- Avoid the sun rays when the sun is directly overhead, i.e., between 10 am to 2 pm. During this time the rays are quite intense and damaging.
- Apply a generous amount of sunscreen. Use a sunscreen with SPF of 30 or more to evade the harmful rays of the sun. You should reapply it after every two hours.
- Cover up your body. When stepping out, wear clothing that covers your arms and legs, thus protecting you from the sun. Also, wear a broad-brimmed hat.
You can get rid of age spots naturally, but you need to be patient and persistent. Do not stress out on why you have developed the age spots, instead seek how to get rid of age spots remedies. These effectively lighten your spots on regular application over time. Besides, employing these limit your exposure to the sun to prevent the development of more age spots.