Can coconut oil whiten teeth? Yes, using coconut oil for teeth whitening can provide multiple benefits. Coconut oil can be used perform oil pulling.
It is considered as valid as a mouth wash(1). The oil extracts all the bacteria to the surface of the teeth. The reason this happens is that coconut oil is lipophilic: it attracts other toxins it comes in contact with.
Additionally, it carries this bacteria away. This results in an almost immediate whiten your teeth. At the same time, the oil also has strong antimicrobial properties. As a result, your teeth are protected from the further bacterial building.
Thus, in the short term, the treatment is curative, while in a long time, it becomes preventative. Coconut oil can also reach out to spaces in your mouth that can not be reached by a toothbrush.
[Also Read: Home Remedies for Teeth Whitening]
- An average American spends almost 38.5 days of his/ her life just brushing their teeth?
- Did you know that before soybean took over in the 1960s, coconut oil was the world’s most consumed vegetable oil?
How to Use Coconut Oil to Whiten Teeth
An easy way to use coconut oil to whiten teeth is by making homemade toothpaste. Brushing teeth with coconut oil only may seem problematic. At the same time, this may result in damage to the teeth.
Instead, the homemade toothpaste incorporates other materials that benefit your teeth as well. You may follow the below recipe for this purpose.
- You need half a cup of coconut oil to get started. Melt the coconut oil in a pan. It is better to melt the fat on low heat to prevent burning. Microwaving can be dangerous. Moreover, microwaving can reduce the quality of the oils’ contents.
- Mix the melted oil with two tablespoons of baking soda. Not only does the baking soda provide a texture to the toothpaste, but it also helps in whitening your teeth.
- Put the mixture in a glass jar. Let the mixture cool down.
- One the mixture has cooled down, you may dip your brush in the mix and use it to brush your teeth.
- You may add ten to twenty drops of essential oils to the paste to improve the aroma and boost its efficiency.
- Make sure that you store the toothpaste in a sealed container.
- The recommended brushing time is two minutes. Rinse well after brushing.
- You may do the paste twice every day to get the best results.
[Also Read: Turmeric for Teeth Whitening ]
Coconut Oil Mouthwash
Apart from the homemade toothpaste, there are other methods to use coconut oil for teeth whitening. One such way is to make a mouthwash using coconut oil.
- You need at least one-fourth of a teaspoon of activated charcoal powder.
- Mix the activated charcoal powder with the coconut oil. Make sure you mix thoroughly to ensure that the contents are spread evenly.
- Use the liquid as a regular mouthwash after brushing your teeth.
[Also Read: Charcoal for Whiten Your Teeth]
For the primary oil pulling method, you may follow the below-listed steps.
- Put one tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth.
- After it melts, you may swish the oil in your mouth for around ten to twenty minutes.
- The oil pulling method can be improved by adding baking soda or activated charcoal to the mixture.
- Spit the oil out. You must prefer spitting it in the trash or toilet. The reason for this is that the oil can clog your sink pipes.
- Make sure you brush your teeth after oil pulling.
However, there can be multiple side effects of using coconut oil this way. Your tongue can absorb some of the oil.
Coconut oil can increase cholesterol levels in the body. Similarly, keeping it inside the mouth for an extended period can cause allergic reactions, including rashes in the mouth.
Moreover, regular use of coconut oil in toothpaste can lead to acne breakout near the mouth, especially for people with excessively oily skin. Furthermore, some people start using oil pulling in place of brushing.
Thus, it is best to consult your dentist regarding the best way to incorporate coconut oil in your teeth whitening treatment.
Coconut oil(2) is a natural substance. As such, it is free from artificial compounds and their side effects.
Moreover, the homemade toothpaste is much purer and natural compared to the “over-the-counter” alternatives. The remedy is simple and easy to use, making it viable for most people.
At the same time, the solution is cheap as coconut oil is readily and cheaply available almost everywhere. Using the oil can help prevent your teeth from getting yellow again. Thus, coconut oil can be the right choice for you to whiten your teeth.
[Also Read: Coconut Oil for Toothache]
1. Can Coconut Oil Cause Tooth Decay?
Using coconut oil is normal, and recommended amounts are safe for your teeth. It may cause mild sensitivity issues.
2. Can Coconut Oil Be Used with Essential Oils for Boosted Teeth Whitening?
Essential oils can be used with coconut oil to boost its effects in teeth whitening. It can also improve the aroma of the coconut oil remedy.