In this Article, you can find 20 Notable Ways in Which Chamomile Tea Benefits Health and Fights Ailments
What is Chamomile Tea?
The chamomile flowers belong to the Asteraceae family. The flowers are dried and processed to make the world’s most popular concoction known as chamomile tea(1). Known for its delicious flavor and mild aroma, chamomile tea is vested with a plethora of therapeutic benefits.
It is vested with a variety of sesquiterpenes, flavonoids and other antioxidants that contribute to its medicinal value. The extract of chamomile flowers is highly beneficial for health and is available as chamomile supplement capsules. Chamomile tea essential oil is also used in infant care lotions.
How to make Chamomile Tea?
Here is a simple recipe to make a cup of warm and delicious chamomile tea.
- 3-4 tablespoons of dried chamomile flowers
- A spring of fresh mint
- A cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- A few drops of lemon juice
- Place the dried and chopped chamomile flowers in a mug
- Fill the mug with boiling water
- Steep the tea for about 5-10 minutes
- Strain out the liquid
- Now add the mint, honey and lemon juice to the liquid with gentle stirring
- Your chamomile tea is now ready to be taken.
Top 20 Chamomile Tea Benefits for Health and Beauty
Chamomile tea uses are innumerable in number. Check out the amazing health benefits of chamomile tea elucidated below.
1. Chamomile Tea Anxiety Benefits
Chamomile tea is highly beneficial for the natural cure of stress and anxiety(2). It works by increasing the levels of melatonin and serotonin in the body and aid in the elimination of worries, headache, and nausea.
The Phyto compounds present in chamomile tea combat against panic breakdown, insomnia, palpitations, hyperventilation, and uneasiness. Being anxiolytic in nature chamomile tea soothes the nervous system and relaxes the mind quite effectively.
2. Health Benefits of Chamomile Tea for Body Immunity
Chamomile tea is rich in phenolic compounds that protect the body from infections and strengthen the immune system.
The antioxidants present in chamomile tea destroy the toxic free radicals and enhance the immune response to ailments and pathogenic attacks. It also helps to fight against cold, sinus, flu and other such respiratory ailments.
3. Benefits of Drinking Chamomile Tea for Digestive Health
Chamomile tea facilitates the healthy absorption of sugars, lipids and amino acids and preserves the health of the digestive tract. Healthy intestinal bacteria flourish under the effect of chamomile tea and help in proper digestion of food(3).
Chamomile tea fights against inflammation in the colon and regulates bowel movement. It also prevents constipation, bloating, flatulence, diarrhea and other problems.
4. Chamomile Benefits for Preventions of Cancer
Chamomile tea contains apigenin which is a potent antioxidant that is highly beneficial for fighting against cancer and malignant tumor in the breast region, thyroid, and uterus, prostate, skin and gastrointestinal tract.
The tea is known for its anti-proliferative nature that induces the apoptosis of cancerous cells and prevents metastasis of cancer.
5. Chamomile Tea Benefits for Heart Health
A cup of warm chamomile tea is all you need for a healthy and happy heart(4). It eliminates cholesterol and protects the heart from atherosclerosis. It enhances the pumping of blood and regulates its circulation. It also aids in the regulation of blood pressure and keeps cardiac attacks at bay.
Also Read: signs of a heart attack
6. Health Benefits of Chamomile Tea for Diabetics
Regular consumption of chamomile tea helps to reduce the level of blood sugar and regulate the level of insulin. The potent organic compounds present in chamomile tea prevent sudden spikes and drops in blood glucose level and as such is highly beneficial for the health of diabetics(5).
Also Read: natural treatment of diabetes
7. Chamomile Tea Benefits for the Natural Therapy of Osteoporosis
Extract of chamomile tea aids in the stimulation of osteoblasts which are the cells that build bones in the body. Regular consumption of chamomile tea helps in the enhancement of bone mass, bone density, and strength. This helps in the prevention and cure of osteoporosis.
Read More: natural remedies for osteoporosis
8. Chamomile Tea Benefits for Oral Care
Chamomile tea is highly beneficial for fighting oral diseases and infections like swollen gums, pyorrhea, gingivitis, weakened roots, cavities and staleness of breath.
Its anti-inflammatory and analgesic nature cures the inflammation and pain of dental aches and keeps the mouth fresh and healthy.
9. Chamomile Tea Pregnancy
During the phase of pregnancy, it is highly beneficial to drink chamomile tea. It cures morning sickness and nausea and induces a calming effect in the pregnant woman(6). It regularizes bowel movement in pregnant women and provides protection against digestive disorders.
Also Read: ectopic pregnancy treatment
10. Chamomile Tea Benefits for the Cure of Sleeplessness
Consumption of the tea right before going to bed is especially useful for a calm and deep slumber. It also controls the sleeping pattern and induces a regular sleeping cycle.
11. Chamomile Tea as an Effective Muscle Relaxant
Chamomile tea is an effective muscle relaxant and is especially beneficial for the cure of abdominal and muscle cramps that occur prior to menstruation.
It alleviates the spasms and pain in uterine muscles by incrementing the glycine level in the body. Its anti-inflammatory and analgesic action alleviates stomach cramps and aching muscles quite effectively.
12. Chamomile Tea for the Natural Treatment of Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids are terribly painful and uncomfortable. Soak a piece of clean sterile gauze in a cup of cool chamomile tea and then apply the soaked gauze externally to hemorrhoid for cool and soothing effects.
13. Chamomile Tea for the Natural Alleviation of Migraine
A person suffers from headaches due to prolonged hours of work, long exposure to the television or computer, chaotic work schedule, lack of sleep, improper and irregular food habit and other such reasons that disrupt the body clock and trigger off painful headaches and dizziness and nausea.
Chamomile tea happens to be one of the best natural remedies for headaches, migraines, and sinuses. Another chief cause of a headache is persistent stress and worries. It puts pressure on the brain and the person ends up suffering from a throbbing headache.
It is the mild aroma of chamomile tea that alleviates the pain of sinus and migraine and makes one breathe more peacefully. The herb works wonder with its anxiolytic and analgesic nature to cure a headache almost in an instant.
Recommended Read: natural cure of a migraine
14. Chamomile Tea Benefits for the Loss of Excessive Body Weight
Chamomile tea is vested with a rich variety of phytonutrients that check the biochemical enzymatic action of lipase which is accountable for the breaking down of fatty acids in the ingested food into their simplest form that is lipids.
Regular consumption of a cup or two of chamomile tea is remarkably beneficial for shedding the excess flab and looking fit and gorgeous. The herbal tea is able to decrease the triglyceride level in blood.
This aids in the quicker loss of excess body weight. Chamomile tea increases the rate of metabolism in the body. This helps in faster burning of calories of the food that is being ingested thus preventing the accumulation of body fat and excess weight.
15. Chamomile Tea Benefits for Skin Care and Health
Being richly packed with antioxidants, chamomile tea is highly beneficial for the health of the skin(8). It protects the skin from hundreds of different dermatological issues and problems. Some of the benefits of chamomile tea for the health of the skin are enlisted below.
- Chamomile tea is a natural skin cleanser: The tea is vested with excellent cleansing, antioxidant, healing and hydrating properties that make it an effective ingredient of face packs prepared for a healthy and glowing skin.
- Chamomile tea is a natural healer: The tea has been in use since ancient times as a healer of minor skin cuts and wounds. It is suffused with excellent healing properties that make for a quick natural cure of wounds, cuts, scrapes, bruises and more.
- Chamomile tea is a natural skin bleacher: Yes you have heard it. Throw those toxic chemical skin bleaches in the dustbin and make way for chamomile tea which is one of the best natural skin bleaches. It helps in unclogging skin pores and mollifying the skin. It does away with dark spots, scar marks and blemishes and makes the skin look fresh and glowing.
- Chamomile tea is a natural skin moisturizer: If you are suffering from dryness of skin then use chamomile tea for its natural hydrating properties. The tea is highly effective in curing eczema and skin psoriasis and its antioxidant and mitigating properties soothe the skin and make it soft and supple.
- Chamomile tea for the cure of acne and pimples: Being richly supplied with a variety of antioxidants, chamomile tea fights against free radicals and diminishes acne and skin rashes caused by oxidative stress.
- Chamomile tea for the cure of eye bags: If the dark circles around your eyes are making you lose your mind then you need not worry anymore. Place a couple of cooled tea bags of chamomile just beneath your eyes and let it stay for 15-20 minutes. Do this daily for the puffiness and dark circles to disappear.
- Chamomile tea as a natural scrub: Chamomile tea when mixed with powdered milk and turmeric makes for an excellent facial scrub for the exfoliation of blackheads and dead cells.Also Read: home remedies for skin rashes
16. Chamomile Tea for Body Detoxification
Chamomile tea is an excellent blood and boy detoxifier. It eliminates and flushes out a wide range of toxins and antigens from the body.
Being powerfully antioxidant in nature, chamomile tea obliterates toxic free radicals that are rendered non-detrimental and eliminated through feces. The tea fights against oxidative stress and detoxifies the blood quite effectively.
17. Chamomile Tea Benefits for the Cure of Allergies
Chamomile tea is highly anti-histamine in nature. The tea is rich in flavonoids that aid in the natural cure of allergies and allergic reactions natural cure of stress and anxiety such as redness of the skin, skin bumps, sneezing fits and itching sensations. Chamomile tea makes for an excellent home remedy for allergic reactions.
For the cure of skin allergies-
- Take a cotton swab and soak it in cold chamomile tea
- Now apply the soaked cotton swab to the affected areas of the skin for the alleviation of the symptoms.
Oral consumption of chamomile tea is equally effective in the cure of allergies.
18. Chamomile Tea Benefits for Hair Care
Chamomile tea is composed of an impressive array of anti-inflammatory compounds that ensure long and strong hair free of lice and dandruff.
The essential oil obtained from the chamomile herb nourishes the scalp and prevents it from blistering and scalp psoriasis. It hydrates and conditions the hair and scalp and strengthens the roots and follicles of hair.
19. Chamomile Tea Benefits for the Respiratory System
Drinking a cup or two of hot chamomile tea mixed with honey and lemon can provide relief from a range of respiratory disorders like chest and nasal congestion, soreness of throat, dry coughing fits, shortness of breath and many more.
20. Chamomile Tea Benefits for the Kidneys
Chamomile tea is vested with the diuretic and detoxifying properties. Consumption of chamomile tea aids in the healthy functioning of kidneys(9). It prevents the hypersecretion of toxins like creatinine and uric acid and helps in passing out the kidney stones.
Chamomile Tea Side Effects
Chamomile tea triggers allergic reactions, skin rashes, and dermatitis. The tea is not recommended for pregnant women and in the post-pregnancy lactation phase. Daily consumption of chamomile tea also causes drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, and irritation in the eyes.
1. What is chamomile tea good for?
Response: Chamomile tea is good for healthy physiological functioning.
2. Does chamomile tea have caffeine?
Response: No. Chamomile tea is devoid of caffeine.
3. Can chamomile tea cause diarrhea?
Response: Over-consumption of chamomile tea causes diarrhea.
4. Is chamomile tea safe for toddlers?
Response: Chamomile tea is not safe for consumption for toddlers.