When it comes to treating acne, people often recommend several things. Several people recommend rubbing vitamin E oil on your pimples and acne scars. But is using vitamin E for acne useful? Does it have any real effect? Or is its efficacy just a hoax?
If you are thinking of using Vitamin E for acne, then it is quite possible that you have many such questions in your mind. In the following article, we are going to take a look at some of these questions and their answers.
Vitamin E is a group of 8 fat-soluble vitamins. Food such as Wheat germ oil, almonds, canola oil, and pine nuts are a good source of Vitamin E. Deficiency of Vitamin E can cause ailments of the nervous system. Apart from that, Vitamin E also possesses many different features that make using Vitamin E for acne. One of the most effective ways to get adequate relief.
Using Vitamin E for Acne – What Does Research Say?
Is vitamin e good for acne? Sources which are rich in Vitamin E(1) were often considered to be suitable for treating acne. Modern-day research has also backed this claim.
A recent study has shown that a combination of Vitamin E and Vitamin C can effectively prevent the growth of the bacteria P.acnes, which is one of the primary reasons behind acne.
The study has also shown that the combination of Vitamin E and Vitamin C also helps to prevent defective keratinization of sebaceous follicles. Defective keratinization is another primary reason for acne breakout.
Studies have also found that Vitamin E is also a good antioxidant. This also helps you to fight the free radicals which can clog the pores in your skin, and that also helps in reducing the chances of having acne.
[Also Read: Natural Treatments for Acne]
How Does Vitamin E Work Against Acne?
As we have seen above, Vitamin E prevents the growth of P.acnes, the primary acne causing strain of bacteria. The bacteria use comedones as their ‘culture medium’ – a place where they can feed and grow.
- Comedones are the skin colored bumps that are often found in people who have acne. They are usually found on the forehead and chins.
- Blackheads are technically open comedones. Vitamin E reduces the chances of comedone formation, and that eliminates the chances of having acne.
- It is also beneficial to use vitamin E oil for acne.
- Vitamin E is fat soluble, and that ensures that the oil gets easily absorbed into the skin and have its effect.
- Is vitamin e oil good for acne? A lot of people think that using Vitamin E oil would only add to the problem as oil can clog the skin pores and cause acne.
However, that is not true. Studies have shown that Vitamin E oil can help in controlling the sebum (oil) production.
Let us take a look at some of the ways in which you can use Vitamin E for acne treatment.
[Also Read: Tips To Cure Closed Comedones]
How to Use Vitamin E for Acne?
There are two ways of using Vitamin E for Acne treatment:
- By including it in your diet
- By applying Vitamin E oil directly on your affected area
[Also Read: Best Vitamins for Acne]
1. By including it in your diet
You should include Vitamin E rich products in your daily diet. The following foods are rich in Vitamin E:
- Nuts such as almonds and oils derived from it
- Seeds such as sunflower seeds, rapeseed, etc.
- Green leafy vegetables
- Vitamin E supplements
2. Fortified foods such as cereal
However, you should ensure that you don’t take ‘too much’ of Vitamin E for acne treatment. If you are taking supplements, then you should not take more than 670 mg daily.
If you are consuming it in the form of food, then you should not take more than 1000 mg of Vitamin E daily Anything more than that would cause your blood to thin out, and that might cause issues of its own.
[Also Read: Incredible Ways to Treat Cystic Acne]
3. By Applying Vitamin E oil directly on your skin
First, mix the following ingredients:
- 2 Teaspoons of Vitamin E Oil
- 2 Teaspoons of Lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon of Yogurt
Next, you need to dip cotton balls into this mixture and apply it on the affected areas. Keep it on and let it dry naturally.
Now, that we know how to use Vitamin E for acne, let us take a look at some of the frequently asked questions.
[Also Read: Tea Tree Oil for Acne]
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long does it take to have any effect?
The efficacy of Vitamin E depends on several factors. So, it is complicated to estimate a specific time. You can get in touch with your physician to understand the effects of Vitamin E.
2. Are there any harmful side effects of Vitamin E?
When you are using Vitamin E for Acne, you should be aware of its side effects as well. In some cases, Vitamin E can cause the following side effects:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Fatigue or weakness
- Blurry vision
- Problems with reproductive organs
So, it is always better to consult with your dermatologist to know about any possible side effects that you might have.
3. Is taking supplements better than eating Vitamin E rich foods?
Vitamin E supplements have a higher concentration than most vitamin-rich foods. But supplements might cause issues as well. So, eating vitamin E rich foods is a safer option.
Using Vitamin E for acne is a good option for those looking for a natural and relatively safer treatment for acne issues. We have learned about the factors that make it so effective in treating acne.
At the same time, we have also learned about the shortcomings of this Vitamin E as well. So, when you are looking to use Vitamin E for acne, you should know about these things. We hope that you found the article to be useful and now you know how you Vitamin E can help you fight against the menace of acne.