Did you know that 3 out of 4 people in the world have Acne? Yes, that’s true! It is a condition where the skin is damaged with pimples, blackheads and whiteheads etc. This is caused due to skin inflammation which effects the face, shoulders, back, chest, neck and upper arms.
An unhealthy lifestyle, unclean eating habits, stress and lack of physical activity are the reasons for acne.
Though it is not a deadly disease, it tends to leave long-lasting marks on the skin. However, if not treated properly it can damage the skin. Natural remedies have been at the forefront of treating acne-related issues for a long time. With recent studies and their effects, many health experts and dermatologists around the globe are promoting these techniques. They not only treat acne, but also prevents them and augments the treatments. Tea Tree is one such remedy boosted with rich components that treat acne and nourishes the skin
This situation can be dealt with very easily with Tea Tree oil.
Types of Acne:
- Fungal acne
- Large, stable, painful lumps beneath the surface of the skin.
- Painful, pus-filled lumps that could be found beneath the surface of the skin.
Multiple causes trigger acne in the body, some of the leading causes which the health care experts have derived are as follows:
- Hormone Imbalance Puberty
- Specific Medication
- Lack of proper diet
- Family History
- Use of greasy or oily cosmetics
- Family History
- Use of greasy or oily cosmetics
Tea Tree Oil for Acne
Tea tree oil has a unique name designated to it. There are chances you might take it for the tea we use in our kitchens. Tea tree oil comes from the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia, that is found in Queensland and New South Wales, Australia. Melaleuca alternifolia is commonly called as tea tree.
[Also Read: Natural Treatments for Acne]
Uses of Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil can be used for multiple purposes. Some of the most common usages of this oil are stated below:
1. Hand Sanitizer
Tea tree oil has many qualities, one of these qualities is killing germs and bacteria. Thus, saving us from different illnesses such as cold, flu and more.
2. Insect Repellent
Tea tree oil is said to be a good mosquito repellent, tea tree oil is said to be better than DEET, DEET is the most common ingredient used in commercial insect repellents.
[Read: Foods That Causes Acne]
3. Natural Deodorant
Tea tree oil acts as a natural deodorant by fighting bacteria which is responsible for body odor.
4. Boost Wound Healing
Tea tree oil helps in preventing infection when our body is wounded when our wounds are not infected the wound can be healed at a higher rate.
[Also Read: Essential Oils for Acne]
Why use this oil for this ailment?
Adult acne, as well as baby acne, are prevalent conditions. The use of tea tree essential oil is quite simple, and the thing that makes us use this product is, the ease in usage and at the same time the qualities yielded by this product.
It gives us satisfaction even if we are using 5% of these oils for our skin.
Tea tree oil is extracted from trees, thus making it full organic, and there are minimal chances of facing side effects.
How to use this oil
To use tea tree oil, you should follow the below-given steps:
- You should first start with washing your face. Use cleanser or skin friendly soap to clean the area that has acne. After washing your face, dry your face so that no moisture remains on the face as tea tree oil should be applied on dry skin only.
The reason behind washing your face before the use of tea tree oil is quite simple; tea tree oil works best when the skin is clean and dry.
- Your second step will be, of using tea tree oil on a right spot on your skin. Apply a little quantity of this oil on your skin and let it be there for a couple of minutes. If the oil is not irritating your skin, it is okay to use. Otherwise, you should not use it. But still, if you don’t want to waste your money, you can dilute it so much that your skin accepts it.
- This step is mostly related to the second step. You can also mix it with Aloe Vera get or some other home remedy, as even 5% of this oil is as effective as other solutions for acne.
- Another way is to just pour a few droplets of this oil onto a cotton piece. It could be a bud or a pad, or you can use a tissue or your fingertip.
The next step would be applying it on to your skin. Gently apply the oil directly onto a pimple, the oil will penetrate the skin and unblock the sebaceous glands. Apart from unblocking the sebaceous glands it also helps to disinfect pores, dry out whiteheads, blackheads and pimples.
- After applying the tea tree oil on the acne, let it sit on the face for a few hours. and if using in the night time, then leave the tea tree oil for the night. After a few hours or after waking, use plain warm water to wash your face.
The last step is superfluous but necessary, to get proper results, you should use this treatment once or twice a week so that the tree tea oil can eliminate the bacteria and cleanse your skin by cleaning the pores on a regular basis. The time is not constant you can apply it whenever you have the time and personal space.
A DIY recipe involving this oil
1. Add tea tree oil to a homemade face scrub
In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup of olive oil, ½ cup of sugar, one tablespoon of honey and almost ten drops of tea tree oil. Gently massage this mixture onto your wet face for 2-5 minutes. After 2-5 minutes you can wash the mixture off your face with the usage of warm water.
2. DIY TEA TREE OIL ACNE TREATMENT
The ingredients used in this recipe are as follows:
- 12 drops of 100% pure tea tree essential oil
- Two tablespoons of 100% pure Aloe Vera Gel
- ½ teaspoon unrefined coconut oil
Fill a small bowl with tea tree oil and Aloe Vera gel. After this, add coconut oil. Now blend all three ingredients to prepare a mixture. For safekeeping shift the mixture from the small bowl to a utensil having a lid to cover it up. Store it in a cool and dry place.
Apply this mixture on clean face with a clean hand before sleeping. It is good to let the pack on the face overnight. The proper process for removing this mixture is, to wash your face with warm water and adequately dry it with a clean towel.
You can also use this treatment for spot treat acne by just using a dab over a pimple.
The time that would be taken in preparing this mixture would be round about 4-5 minutes and the mixture prepared can be used for 2-3 nights.
- If you are planning to go on a trip or vacation where you will be exposed to the sun for long hours, you should give tea tree oil a break.
- If you are new to this product and feeling a sensation of burning, or it is making your skin dry or red, my friend, you should stop using it as these are not the signs of healing, but these are some of the side effects associated to tea tree oils.
- It is rightly said, “Everything Should be done in Limit”. Same is the case with tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is a stable liquid; it should only be used once in a day if used more than once it might cause problems for you.
- Another important fact that you should etch in your memory is, if you are using tea tree oil, you should not try to cover it with anything that is bandages or plastic.
- As said earlier, tea tree oil is a stable liquid, so the first thing that you should always remember is that it should always be diluted and even if it is well diluted, you should not try to apply it on your full face as a face mask.
If by accident you have used undiluted tea tree oil you can have the following side effects.
- Additional redness.
- There is also a probability that the affected area can get itchy and uncomfortable
If tea tree oil is not used in a tidy manner that is if you are using this oil multiple times a day, there are chances that you will sense irritation and worse, the things you are trying to cure will be visible to the whole world in an ugly manner.
- When buying a tea tree oil always make sure it is 100% pure, the reason behind it is, if the tea tree oil is not 100% pure there are chances that you are applying different types of chemicals on your skin which might be harmful to the skin.
- You should never add tea tree oils to your cosmetics such as moisturiser, facial oil, serum, face mask or toner if you are thinking to
apply it to your whole face.
- If you are using other treatment for acne, you should not use tea tree oil. Tea tree oil and other treatment for acne should not go hand in hand. If you want to use both then, you have to bear the consequences.
- You should be aware of your skin type before using tea tree oil. If your skin is dry, flaking, scaly or irritated, there are chances of severe side effects.
- If you are a person, who likes to exercise this one goes out only for you. If you want to tea tree oil, you should wait until your body is cooled down.
Other Home Remedies for Acne
1. Apply Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider is a perfect agent for exterminating multiple types of bacteria and viruses. Apple cider contains several organic acids such as succinic acid and lactic acid. Lactic acid is said to enhance the appearance of acne scars whereas succinic acid is said to have a unique property to suppress inflammation which may cause scarring. The following steps will give you an insight on how to use apple cider vinegar
- Mix 1-part apple cider vinegar and three parts water. The water ratio can increase according to the sensitivity of your skin.
- After washing your face and drying it properly, gently apply this mixture on your skin using a cotton ball.
- Leave the mixture on your skin for 5-20 seconds. After that wash the mixture that is on your face and gently dry your face.
- Repeat this process for of 1-2 times a day according to your condition.
When using apple cider vinegar always keep in mind that it should be appropriately diluted with water otherwise there are chances of burns and irritation.
2. Make a Honey and Cinnamon Mask
Honey and cinnamon are said to be one of the best sources for antioxidants. Honey and cinnamon have antibacterial properties because of which it can be used for acne medicines. Honey and cinnamon have the properties to fight bacteria and inflammation due to which they are instrumental during the time of acne.
You can prepare honey and cinnamon mask by following the below given steps:
- Mix 1 teaspoon cinnamon and two tablespoon honey to form a paste.
- After washing up and drying your face, apply the paste on your skin and leave it there for 10-15 minutes.
- After 10-15 minutes wash off the mixture from your skin and dry that portion.
3. Reduce Stress
Stress is linked directly to an increase in acne severity. When a person is stressed, the hormone realized might increase sebum production and skin inflammation. At the time of stress, the healing process gets lagged by up to 40%, because of which acne repair can take time.
Some of the ways by which you can reduce stress are given below:
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Be physically active
- Start the day with yoga, followed by Meditation or vice-versa
4. Exercise regularly
Exercise is the main gateway to a healthy body. With exercise and peaceful piece of mind, a person can battle any illness. Health care experts also recommend exercising even if you are fit. In this case, Exercise promotes blood circulation, the increase in the blood flow helps to provide healthy nourishment to the skin cells, which may hinder the growth of acne. Also, exercise helps to fight stress and anxiety which could become a significant reason for acne.
There are various exercises an individual can perform some of these exercises are, walking, cycling, and hiking. An average adult is recommended to at least exercise for 30 mins every-day.
Medical sciences have exceeded far from our imagination, new chemicals are coming to the market every other day, but still, these essential oils hold a special place in everybody’s homes.
As the above facts stated, we could see how effective this tea tree oil(1) is whether it be used for acne or as a deodorant tea tree essential oil knows how to get the job done. These essential oils face many challenges while being used but if it suits someone’s body type it is likely that these oils can work wonders.
From the above report, we can figure out how much these essential oils are safer as compared to the number of chemicals we intake to reduce exterminating acne. There are more chances that a person might feel dizzy, weak, nausea or vomiting by the usage of these chemicals and the tricky part is you wouldn’t even know when these chemicals hit you.
Tea tree essential oil if preferred by your body type can work wonders, but if it does not work, unlike chemical drugs it will send out signals that the user should stop using it, preventing further damage to the body or the skin.
1. Can acne be cured completely?
Yes, acne can be cured completely. But, it needs effective care, treatment, and a conscious check on dietary and lifestyle choices.
2. Does drinking water treat acne?
Drinking water is highly essential in treating acne. Although it cannot treat acne by itself, it helps in cleansing toxins, moisturizing, nourishing, and clearing the waste from the skin.
3. Is ice good for acne skin?
Ice helps in refreshing the skin, clearing pores, improving blood circulation, preventing wrinkles, and adds a healthy glow to the face. It also prevents the production of excess oil.