Taste and health do not go together. Rare are the foods that provide both of them. If you are looking for some delicious ways to improve your health, then almonds should be the very first thing that should come to your mind. These crunchy, brown, tree nuts taste great and are filled with nutrients that are excellent for your overall health. No doubt these were an essential ingredient of your grandma’s secret recipes. Want great health? So, what are you waiting for? Add almonds to your daily diet to enjoy improved health and better metal activity.
Reasons to eat almonds in the morning every day
- Heart-friendly nut
- Shred your weight
- Boosts your brain
- Improves digestion
- Detoxifying agents
- Healthy and glowing skin
- Prevents cancer
- Regulate blood sugar levels
- Increases your energy levels
- Strengthens your hair
What almonds do to your body?
Almonds are high in nutrition providing you with an excellent amount of proteins, vitamins, antioxidants, fibers, and healthy fats. Thus you can benefit significantly from them. Regular consumption of these can give you a healthy heart, better hair, beautiful skin and much more. Below listed are some of the known benefits of eating almonds.
1. Heart-friendly nut
Almonds help increase the good cholesterol levels in your body while reducing the bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglyceride content. Further, these are a rich source of magnesium which is known to regulate your blood pressure level and prevent hypertension. These also contain antioxidants and high amounts of monosaturated fats which are great for your heart and reduce the risk of various cardiovascular diseases.
2. Helps you shred your weight
Those desperate to lose weight must add almonds to their daily diet. They can help you out in losing extra kilos and that too easily. It is because the nuts are rich in fiber, fat, and proteins, and make you feel fuller without compromising with your nutrition. Whenever you feel hungry, you can pop in a handful of these and feel satisfied.
The fiber and protein present in them take longer to digest and make you feel full for longer, thus keeping the hunger pangs at bay. Also, magnesium present in them is known to regulate the blood sugar levels and therefore can easily curb your cravings for food. The nuts also block absorption of calories by the body, thus can be said to be weight loss friendly.
3. Boosts your brain activity
If your mother used to give you soaked almonds every day saying that it would boost your memory, then she was correct. Almonds are known to contain nutrients like riboflavin and L-carnitine which are known to play an active role in stimulating the growth of the brain cells. Further, these also include phenylalanine, a chemical that improves cognitive functioning. Thus better mental activity
4. Improves digestion
As you know almonds are rich in fiber which makes them highly beneficial for treating digestive troubles like constipation or irregular bowel movement. The fiber adds bulk to your food and ensures proper flow of it through the intestines, thus removing toxins from your body. Also, it stimulates body metabolism thus ensuring that you get the maximum digestion benefits.
5. Natural detoxifying agents
Unhealthy eating habits and increased pollution levels are a cause of increased toxin accumulation in your body. Excessive toxins present in your body have a derogatory effect on your overall health. These affect the functioning of your vital organs and can result in mood swings, too much stress, dull and damaged hair, unhealthy skin and much more. Hence, it is necessary for you to flush out the unnecessary toxins from your body. If you wish to get rid of them, bitter almonds can do the job for you.
6. Promotes healthy and glowing skin
Want healthy and beautiful skin? Start consuming almonds. These can give you healthy and glowing skin sans any imperfections. How? Well, almonds are rich in Vitamin E which is known to boost collagen production that helps in the regeneration of new skin cells. Also, these are rich in antioxidants that can easily fight the free radicals present in your body thus reducing oxidative stress and slowing down skin aging. Therefore, eating almonds every day can prevent wrinkles, fine lines, and other skin issues, giving you blemish-free healthy skin.
7. Prevents cancer
The abundant amount of fiber present in almonds can also help in preventing colon cancer. The high fiber content improves your digestion and ensures that your body gets rid of toxic waste. Thus, it keeps your digestive tract clean, preventing colon cancer. Further, almonds are a rich source of Vitamin E, flavonoids and phytochemicals which can help fight the damaging cells that can lead to breast cancer.
8. Regulate blood sugar levels
Almonds are rich in fibers and proteins and are low in carbs that make them excellent for people who have diabetes. Fiber present in them slows down the digestion process thus preventing a sudden spike in the blood glucose levels. Studies show that people with type 2 Diabetes have magnesium deficiency which can be resolved by eating almonds as these are a rich source of magnesium. Improved magnesium content in the body boosts the function of insulin and lowers the blood sugar.
9. Increases your energy levels
If your mornings are lousy and gloomy, and you have no zest to celebrate a fresh new day of your life, then almonds are essential for you. Start your day, high on energy by eating a few soaked almonds. These are rich in essential nutrients like riboflavin, manganese, and copper that help in optimal functioning of your body mechanism and boost your metabolism, thus providing you a high dose of energy necessary to start your day with a bang. Consuming soaked almonds every morning will keep you full of energy and vitality all through the day.
10. Strengthens your hair
With rising pollution, stressful lifestyle and busy schedules, it becomes impossible to take care of yourself which can take a toll on your hair. Your beautiful strands get damaged over time. You might find your hair dull, frizzy and thin. If you wish to treat your hair troubles healthily, then add almonds to your diet. These are known to contain hair-friendly nutrients such as monosaturated fatty acids and polyunsaturated fatty acids along with an abundant amount of Vitamin A, B1, B2, B6 and D that make your hair healthy; nourish it and smoothen it as well. Further, the high amount of magnesium present in it aids in the growth of healthy hair. Eat almonds every day to get healthy and shinier strands.
Which time is best for eating almonds?
Almonds are rich in fiber, proteins, and healthy fats; hence these can be incorporated in your diet the way you want. However, the best time to eat almonds depends on the purpose you want to eat them for.
- If you wish to improve your heart health, then you can take almonds during any time of the day. These will be beneficial.
- Those who wish to improve the quality of their sleep can have a few almonds before they hit the bed. These are rich in magnesium which is known to induce sleep and improve its quality. Also, it helps in controlling your blood sugar during the night.
- Those who wish to improve their athletic performance should eat them after their workout session.
- And if you are trying to lose weight, then keep a handful of almonds in your pocket and pop a few when you feel those hunger pangs.
- According to Ayurveda, one should take five soaked almonds every morning to strengthen the functioning of the brain.
- Also, please note that raw almonds should not be eaten early morning on an empty stomach; this is because the brown coating of the nuts contains a high amount of fiber which can be difficult digest early in the morning. Instead of eating raw almonds in the morning you can try drinking almond milk. You can also go for soaked almonds.
How many almonds can you eat in a day?
Almonds are indeed healthy for you, but one should not ignore the fact that these provide you with a high amount of calories which are not suitable for your health and weight. Hence, you must munch this amazing snack in a limited amount only. Studies say that you must keep your almond intake under check. A count of a minimum 4 and maximum of 23 almonds in a day is excellent for your health and well-being.
What will happen if you eat too many almonds every day?
Excess of anything is terrible, and it goes for the healthy and nutritious almonds too. If you think that multiplying the number of almonds a day will give you quick results, then you are on the wrong page. Eating more than the required quantity will not prove beneficial but may have a derogatory effect on your health. Following are the troubles that you might suffer from if you eat almonds in excess.
- Digestive troubles: Almonds are rich in fiber and eating them in excess can cause hamper your digestion process. It may lead to bloating and upset stomach.
- Weight gain: Almonds provide you with high amount calories and fat. Although the fats are monosaturated and healthy for your heart if you have a sedentary lifestyle and do not engage in any physical activity that could burn the high amount of calories you consumed, then it may result in fat deposition resulting in weight gain.
- Diarrhea and weakness: Almonds are rich in Vitamin E which is good for your health. However, eating them in excess may provide you with a too high amount of Vitamin E. You must counter the imbalance created by adding in other vitamin sources in your diet. However, if you do not maintain a balance, then a high dosage of Vitamin E might lead to weakness, diarrhea, and even blurred vision.
- High manganese content may interfere with medications: Almonds are rich in manganese which if taken in large amounts can interact with your laxatives, antibiotics and blood pressure medicines creating trouble for you.
- Toxicity: Bitter almonds are known to treat muscle spasms, but if you take them in excess, then it may lead to toxicity in your body. It is because these contain hydrocyanic acid that may cause problems in breathing, choking and can even result in nervous breakdown.
Raw almonds vs. soaked almonds
Raw or soaked, almonds are great for your health. But if you are comparing the two, then soaked almonds are better than raw almonds. They are not only tastier but healthier too. It is because the brown coat of the almonds contains tannin which restricts the absorption of nutrients by the body. However, when the almonds are soaked, can be peeled easily making it easier for your body to absorb the nutrients. Soaked almonds release an enzyme known as lipase which is essential for digestion of fats. Also, these become softer and easier to chew. Thus, if you wish to enjoy the wholesome benefits of almonds, then soaked almonds are better.
The crunchy nuts with a brown casing are a storehouse of nutrients which make them great for your overall health. Consuming almonds every day can be beneficial for your heart, brain, and other vital organs. Therefore, your mother always made sure that you definitely have those. Eating a handful of almonds a day can give you miraculous results. So, incorporate them in your diet now.