There is not one person in this world who does not like honey. It is sweet and is an excellent enhancer for food. It is incredibly better than those artificial sweeteners that we consume; plus, it has so many benefits. Manuka honey is considered to be the best kind of honey from all. It has magical benefits for your health, skin, hair, and other physical conditions. Read on to find out more about Manuka honey benefits and bring them to use for the betterment of your health.
What is Manuka Honey?
Manuka honey is a product of the bees which pollinate on a flower, commonly known as Manuka bush. Its scientific name is Leptospermum scoparium. Manuka honey is an extremely useful antibacterial and antiviral and has immensely high benefits on wound healing and other sores.
Before digging deeper into the health benefits of Manuka honey, it is essential to understand the origin of Manuka honey and take a sneak peek in its historical value.
Manuka honey originated in the native land of New Zealand. Traditionally, it was an excellent medication potent for sore throats, wounds, bacterial infections, and digestive issues. It is produced from Manuka bush which grows in south-eastern Australia and throughout New Zealand without being cultivated.
Nutritional Profile of Manuka Honey
Manuka honey benefits come from its nutritional value and facts. Its rich nutritive value is the sole reason for it being extremely healthy food and beneficial for skin, hair, and other health conditions.
One tablespoon of Manuka honey contains 18 grams of carbohydrates, 16 grams of sugar, and 60 calories. Most unfiltered and raw Manuka honey contains vitamin B, zinc, amino acids, iron, and potassium along with many other minerals and vitamins.
9 Manuka Honey Benefits Which Will Change Your Life
Manuka honey is a powerful food which aids to enhance your health beautifully. Read on to find out Manuka honey benefits which are useful and practical.
1. Manuka Honey Aids in Digestion and Gastric Issues
Gastric issues and inflammation are a result of the lining of the stomach getting infected from bacterial infections, anti-inflammatory drugs, alcohol intake, use of aspirin, bile reflux, and much more. All of this can lead to stomach discomfort and pain, vomiting, bloating, heartburn, indigestion, and in severe cases of stomach cancer.
Manuka honey aids in reducing the antimicrobial activity of the stomach lining. Bacterial infections exaggerate in an acidic environment. Manuka honey majors in reducing the acidity in the stomach and thus, enhancing healthy digestion and lesser gastric issues.
According to a study of 1994, organic Manuka honey has been effective against Helicobacter pylori with its antimicrobial activity, and this bacterium has been the most profound reason of incurring of stomach cancer.
2. Manuka Honey for Skin Works Wonders
A Manuka honey facial mask is all it takes for a beautiful glow on the face and to get rid of that persistent acne. Applying Manuka honey on the face is an aid, acting as an excellent toner, and cleanser. Manuka honey has a pH of 4.5 which helps in maintaining the pH level of the skin.
Manuka honey for acne works excellently as it reduces the accumulation of bacteria and fungi on the skin which is one of the primary causes of acne and pimples. The hygroscopic nature of Manuka honey helps to get rid of the grime and dirt which is trapped inside the pores of your skin to make the flow of natural oils free and better.
It is a mild agent and is safe to use on a regular basis for a natural glow on your face.
3. The Incredible Aid of Manuka Honey for Eczema
Numerous skin conditions like eczema and hives result from autoimmune and allergies problems. Characterized by scaling and extreme dryness, eczema worsens due to scratching, which causes oozing and peeling of the skin.
Manuka honey is terrific in managing eczema and preventing severe complications. It hydrates the skin and reduces the dryness of the skin caused due to eczema and also helps in alleviating the infections due to eczema. It acts as a shield for the skin to keep it intact and prevents it from damages.
4. Manuka Honey Benefits for Wounds and Cuts
Manuka honey is beneficial in reducing the microbial agents in the scars an injury which slow down the process of wound healing and treating of burns and cuts. Manuka honey minimizes the growth of bacteria and enhances the healing process of the wounds and cuts.
It is one of the best Manuka honey uses. It helps in drawing out the water from the injuries and making it difficult for microbes to survive in such an atmosphere and ultimately enhancing the process of healing of the wounds.
5. Manuka Honey benefits for scalp and dandruff problems
One of the primary reasons for dandruff and scalp issues is dryness and flaking of dead skin in the scalp. Manuka honey works on improving the health of your scalp by making it less dry and also works on controlling the problem of dandruff.
Manuka honey helps in pulling out grime and dirt from the pores of the hair follicles and making them grow better. It also helps in keeping the scalp hydrated and reduces the growth bacteria in the scalp.
6. Other Manuka Honey Benefits for Hair
Manuka honey benefits for hair include preventing split ends and curly hair. It prevents the hair from becoming dry and helps in making your hair smooth and shiny. It enhances the volume of your hair making them look thicker and also works on reducing the breakage and falling of hair to make them grow longer with time.
Manuka honey benefits for hair keep the pollutants away from your hair and coat your hair to prevent them away from dust and other infectious attacks. It is rich in vitamins and minerals which add nourishment to your scalp and hair.
7. Manuka Honey Helps in Treating Ringworm and Athlete’s Foot
Manuka honey is highly effective in fighting against ringworm and athlete’s foot which are two of the most annoying fungal infections. Manuka honey has antifungal and antimicrobial properties which reduce the accumulation of bacteria on the body and help in the prevention of the body from getting attacked by the same fungal infection again in the future.
It brings out the excess moisture from the body which makes it less suitable for the fungi and bacteria to survive and thus, providing relief to the affected areas of the body.
8. Manuka Honey Plays a Handful in Treating Rosacea
Rosacea is characterized by enlarged skin pores which become inflamed and red in the future. It is accompanied with scarring, disfigurement of cheeks, chin, and nose, and soreness, and inflammation.
Manuka honey promises a useful result in restoring the natural texture of your skin and helps in treating rosacea. It helps in tightening and clearing of the pores. It also helps to reduce the size of the pores and bring down redness and inflammation of the skin. It reduces the action of fungal, bacteria, and microbes on the skin and helps in reducing the proximity of the skin to get caught in the same condition again.
[Read: Rosacea Natural Treatment]
9. Manuka Honey Enhances your Dental Health
Manuka honey fights off the plaque causing the dental to deteriorate. It is rich in calcium, zinc, phosphorus, and other minerals which enhance healthy gums and reduce the chances of tooth decays. It helps in making your teeth stronger, and reduce plaque formation on the teeth.
Now as you know the benefits of Manuka honey, you must be waiting to use it for yourself. Therefore, we have listed down how you can bring Manuka honey in use along with a few recipes so that it becomes easy for you to put it in your diet.
How to use Manuka honey?
- Instead of consuming sugary products, you can add one tablespoon of Manuka honey in all your desserts. Manuka honey is healthier than sugar, and you can use it for yourself without worrying about gaining fat and other side effects like in the case of sugar.
- You can add Manuka honey as a dressing for your salad of vegetables as well as fruits which will not only enhance the taste of your salads but also improve the health benefits of the same.
- You can add Manuka honey in milk and consume it every day.
- For facial uses and benefits, you can apply Manuka honey on your face and body. You can also add it to your body lotions, creams, and face masks to enhance the glow of your skin and body.
- For scalp and hair benefits, you can add Manuka honey to your conditioning process. All you have to do is apply a thin layer of Manuka honey on your scalp and let it stay; you can then wash off with a mild shampoo.
- You can always add Manuka honey in your tea, both herbal and regular as a substitute for sugar.
- If all this sounds too much work, you can merely consume Manuka honey daily alone.
Recipes of Manuka honey
1. A Healthy and Tasty Manuka Honey Smoothie
A straightforward recipe and also one of the most delicious smoothies to make it easy for you to add Manuka honey in your diet.
- One tablespoon of Manuka honey
- One cup water
- One whole carrot which is washed and not peeled
- One small ginger silver
- One whole orange, peeled
- One cup ice
- Half a lemon’s juice
How to Prepare?
- Add carrot and organ in a food blender and blend
- Add water and lemon juice and mix again
- At last, add Manuka honey and ginger and blend again
- With the previous blend, check the consistency of the smoothie.
- Add ice and blend
- Serve in a glass and enjoy
2. Manuka Honey Chocolate Truffles
Another healthy chocolate and honey combination recipe to make a perfect dessert for you. It is easy to make, gets ready quickly and is healthy.
- One cup of raw cacao nibs or powder
- One tablespoon of Manuka honey
- One tablespoon of coconut oil
- Half a cup of chia seeds
- One cup of ground almonds
- 12 dates pitted
- Half a cup of shredded unsweetened coconut
How to Prepare?
- Put the twelve dates in a blender and blend to form a smooth paste
- Add coconut oil and mix well
- Along with it add ground almonds and chia seeds and combine again to make a smooth paste
- Add the cocoa powder or nibs and shredded coconut
- At last, add Manuka honey and mix well
- After making a thick dough from mentioned ingredients, take the mix between your palms and form small round balls of the same
- Roll the ball in coconut shredding to coat completely
- Make few similar round balls and cover them with coconut shredding
- Chill for a few hours
- Consume them later
Side Effects of Manuka Honey
Manuka honey side effects include:
- Manuka honey may cause or exaggerate allergic reactions for you. Every person is different and has different physical conditions. If you feel an allergic reaction due to Manuka honey, consult your doctor immediately. It may be possible that the Manuka honey is the cause of allergy. If you are allergic to pollens, Manuka is not good for you.
- Manuka honey may enhance your blood sugar level if consumed more than a required or sufficient amount. It may not impact your blood sugar as much as regular sugar, but it may cause side effects for your blood sugar if consumed excessively. So, if you are a diabetic person, then it is must for you to consult your doctor before jumping on to use Manuka honey in your diet. However, you can always apply Manuka honey on your face and hair as it has nothing to do with your blood sugar.
- Manuka honey, if consumed excessively can increase your weight immensely. If you consumeManuka honey instead of sugar, it does not mean that the calories won’t count. You will have to go for a daily workout regime even if you skip the sugar and take manuka honey.
- Manuka honey may have collateral reactions to a few chemotherapy drugs.
Manuka honey is hugely beneficial for our health, including numerous benefits for your skin and hair. Not only skin and hair, but Manuka honey benefits also helps in reducing the number of infections. Substituting your sugar consumption with Manuka honey can do wonders for you and your health.
However, it is essential to keep in mind that you take alertness of all the side effects that have been mentioned above, as all people are different and they may react to the same product differently. It is essential for you to understand that you must not experiment with your health and make sure to consult your doctor if you face any difficulties and other reactions by the use of Manuka honey.
Manuka honey is a powerful remedy for a lot of skin conditions and enhances your health overall. You can use it on a daily basis in the various forms and ways as mentioned. However, it is important to note that you must not over consume Manuka honey as it may increase your weight and even affect you negatively. Hope you noted all the benefits of Manuka honey. Are you ready to use it for yourself now?
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do you store Manuka honey?
The best way to store Manuka honey is to keep it in a cupboard away from direct sunlight and heat. You can also store it in a fridge. If you have hardened Manuka honey, you can wrap it in a cling wrap and store in a wine chiller. Make sure that the place you choose to store Manuka honey is dark. Keep it in a jar which has a tight lid.
2. Is Manuka Honey Better than normal honey?
Usual honey has its own set of benefits. However, Manuka honey is a better version of natural honey and has the same benefits of natural honey but in a more significant impact and form. So what natural honey will do for you after a long time, Manuka honey will do it in a shorter span of time plus it is more effective than regular honey. All the enzymes in Manuka honey are more effective than regular honey.
3. Does Manuka honey have an expiry date?
If stored properly in the right conditions, Manuka honey can be as good as new for several years. However, if the Manuka honey you get is mixed and is not raw, then those products may expire and cause the terminating of Manuka honey overall.