Everyone knows CPU is the brain of a computer. It is the one who controls every action of a computer. In the same way, in a human body, the brain is the organ which controls all our movements whether it be good or bad. The brain is the organ which helps you to think, act and react.
But what if someday your brain stops responding in proper order? What if you become disable of thinking and reacting? Yes, it can happen because of ADHD. But now the question arises, what is ADHD? A question about which one often wonders about.
To your answer, ADHD or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is a disorder in which a person suffers from brain development and has issues with attention. Those who have ADHD may be hyperactive and impulsive. They may be inattentive as well.
However, there are several effective natural remedies for ADHD that can help improve the condition. Read on to find out more about the natural remedies for ADHD.
What causes ADHD?
Some of the causes of ADHD are:
- Hereditary factors
- Changes in the brain or a brain injury or a brain disorder
- Chemical imbalances
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Alcohol, smoking and substance abuse during pregnancy, which can cause improper development of the brain
- Exposure to toxic substances
Signs of ADHD
Some of the ADHD symptoms are common in both children and adults, while others are different for both of them. Some of the primary symptoms in both are-
- Inability in following directions
- Unable to sit still for long
- Excessive talking
- Gets bored easily
9 Unusual Natural Remedies for ADHD
1. Food as the natural remedies for ADHD
Certain foods are incredibly beneficial and work as the natural remedies for ADHD, whereas certain foods can prove to be harmful as well as triggers of ADHD.
ADHD diet for kids
A large part of the ADHD treatment focuses on diet modifications. Kids are encouraged to eat a healthy diet that is full of fresh fruits and vegetables. It can provide a child with ADHD with the much-needed nutrients for proper brain functioning.
More emphasis is on limiting the consumption of refined grains and sugar-laden foods. Protein component in the diet gets increased and fats incorporated in the diet should be healthy fats.
Foods to eat in ADHD
- Foods rich in protein like fish, eggs, lean beef, poultry, beans, nuts, etc.
- Good carbs like fruits and vegetables
- Healthy fats like sardines, walnuts, chia seeds
- Herbs and spices like St. John’s Wort, yerba mate extract, etc.
Foods to avoid in ADHD
- Bad carbs like refined grains and sugars
- Bad fats like trans fats, fried fats, fats found in pizzas and cheeseburgers
- Sugar is a known trigger for ADHD. So are alcohol, smoking, and any substance abuse. It is essential to stay away from these
2. Herbal preparations as natural remedies for ADHD
Herbal remedies for ADHD get listed in the ancient Ayurveda texts. They are seen to improve the condition wondrously
Bacopa head massage
This simple head massage with bacopa infused hair oil can give great relief in symptoms like lack of concentration and anxiety that get witnessed in ADHD.
How to use
- Bacopa or Brahmi infused oils are available OTC these days
- If not, you can easily make it at home
- Just take any unscented and plain hair oil of your choice like coconut oil, olive oil or a combination of both
- Add 25 gm of bacopa powder to 100 ml of oil and keep the mixture in a glass bottle in a cool, dry place for up to 2 weeks
- Stir 2-3 times in between with a wooden skewer
- After two weeks, stir once and use as is by warming a bit
- The oil can get strained if needed but keeping the powder in it gives additional benefits
- Massage at night and rinse off in morning
- One can see results in behavior in just a couple of uses
- You can use this oil twice a week
Behavioral therapy natural remedy for ADHD
Behavioral therapy for ADHD in children is a quite common approach in the treatment of ADHD symptoms. In this therapy parents of ADHD children are asked to set some behavioral goals for the kids which they need to follow as set rules.
Of course, this setting up of rules and their actual following takes some time to sink in, but it at least starts a process, and both parents and children know what to expect. Behavioral therapy for ADHD includes different types like cognitive behavioral therapy, play therapy, system desensitization, and aversion therapy.
Behavioral therapy or treatment is considered to be extremely useful in treating ADHD. It helps to strengthen good behaviors and control disruptive or destructive behavior, and it helps the child in expressing his feelings in a better and a peaceful way
Traditionally known as Brahmi and also known as water hyssop, this herb is known to reduce the impulsiveness and the restlessness. It improves self-control and works as natural remedies for ADHD.
How to use
- Brahmi is available in the form of Brahmi decoction or Brahmi powder
- If taking the powder, mix a ½ Tsp for a child and 1 Tsp for an adult in a glass of warm milk and consume at bedtime
- You can see the visible results within several days of starting this natural treatment
- This treatment is especially beneficial for ADHD in children
Traditionally called as shankhpushpi is another wonderful herb that helps as the natural remedies for ADHD and improves concentration power and attentiveness in people living with ADHD.
How to use
- It’s available in the form of a syrup that is palatable for kids
- Can be taken according to instructions on the box
- Shankhpushpi powder can be taken ½ Tsp for kids and 1 Tsp for adults mixed in warm milk at bedtime
- This natural treatment is especially beneficial in ADHD in teens
3. Essential oils for the natural remedies for ADHD
Many people believe in the power of essential oils for ADHD treatment. The best essential oils for ADHD treatment are
- Sandalwood oil
- Lavender oil
- Mandarin oil
- Peppermint oil
- Ylang-ylang oil
Out of these oils, you can use sandalwood, lavender, and mandarin oils for the natural remedies for ADHD in kids.
How to use
- Just use a few drops of any of these oils with some water in an aromatherapy diffuser
- Best results get witnessed when used during bedtime
- Adults can massage the temples of their heads with a few drops of essential oils mixed with some carrier oils
(Safety measure- never use essential oils undiluted. It may cause rashes or other allergies on the skin. Always use the essential oils diluted in some water or with other carrier oils like vegetable oils).
4. Natural treatments for curing ADHD
Natural treatments get widely included in the ADHD therapy regimen. These treatments get implemented for all groups of people and get used as the natural remedies for ADHD.
Homeopathic remedies as the natural remedy for ADHD
Homeopathy provides excellent results in reducing the intensity of the symptoms in ADHD. Homeopathic remedies for ADHD have been present since over 200 years, and its popularity has been increasing in many populations.
Though you should take homeopathy medicines after proper consultation with a specialist, a couple of medicines provide some relief from ADHD symptoms.
These medicines are Coffeacruda and Synaptol. The doses and way of administration are profoundly different in different individuals, and hence proper consultation should be sought before delving into these treatments.
Yoga and meditation
Yoga and meditation define a holistic approach to treating any disease. And ADHD is not an exception.
How to do
- Appoint a trainer for providing guidance regarding the yoga therapy and meditation
- Half an hour of yoga and meditation each both in mornings and evenings can give good results in relieving the symptoms of ADHD
- Kids yoga sessions are also prevalent these days and are proving to be immensely useful in reducing the intensity of the ADHD symptoms
- Yoga and meditation show a remarkable effect especially in ADHD in women, as the studies say
5. Natural ADHD supplements as the natural remedy for ADHD
As we know ADHD benefits by eating the right types of foods, it can also get accomplished by way of taking natural supplements as well. Taking natural supplements in the form of vitamin c, iron, omega 3 fatty acids, magnesium, zinc to name a few, can do wonders in improving the ADHD symptoms. However, you must do it with the proper guidance of a specialist.
Precautions and side-effects
Most of the methods and treatments mentioned here are quite safe to be used by anyone; however, there are a few points that you should before starting on any medication or treatment.
- Never use essential oils without diluting or using a carrier oil. It may cause redness or other allergic conditions on the skin
- Always consult a specialist before starting on any nutritional supplements, as they can be harmful if taken wrongly
- Any diet changes are to be made only after consulting a dietician, and those who have ADHD should especially follow this precaution
- Other medical conditions like diabetes, kidney problems, heart problems, etc.
[ Read: Supplements for ADHD]
ADD vs. ADHD
ADD also known as attention deficit disorder is now considered to be an outdated term and ADHD is used these days in place of ADD. ADD is just the inattentive form of ADHD wherein a person suffering is not hyperactive-impulsive. It is also known as inattentive ADHD.
ADHD and Autism
ADHD and autism are two different conditions and should not be considered as same. Autism is a condition in which there is a problem with communication and social interaction in a person.
[ Read: Alternative Treatments for ADHD ]
Anxiety and depression
ADHD and anxiety go hand in hand in adults, and so do ADHD and depression
ADHD or attention deficit hyperactive disorder is the most commonly diagnosed mental disorder in children. It progresses into adulthood in many cases. There are different types of ADHD, and they require an individually tailored treatment approach.
However, there are many natural remedies for ADHD that can provide a significant reduction in the intensity and frequency of the symptoms and are quite harmless as well. These extraordinary five natural remedies for ADHD are sure to give you the much-needed relief.