Edema, being a harmless condition, is annoying as well as painful at times. It may happen due to an injury, inflammation, post-pregnancy, or immobility. It may also occur as a side effect of a specific medication. There is nothing you must worry about though. Here are a few remedies on how to treat edema at home.
But before that, let us understand this condition in detail.
What is edema?
Edema is the swelling of a body part due to the fluid accumulation in the tissues. Any body part which is affected by edema is known as Edematous. Usually, edema happens in hands and legs.
What causes edema?
- Blood clot
- Head injury
- Medical conditions
What are the types of edema?
- Pulmonary edema
- Peripheral edema
- Macular edema
- Cerebral edema
What are the signs and symptoms of edema?
- Pain and swollen skin
- Veins in the neck and hands become fuller
- Stiffness in joints
- High blood pressure
- Puffiness on the affected area
- Vomiting and weakness
- Abdominal pain
- Vision abnormalities
- Skin starts to get dimpled on pressing
- A feeling of nausea
If you want to know more about how to treat edema, then swipe up!
How to treat edema naturally?
1. How to get rid of edema with foods that help?
Use coriander seeds for leg edema
The flavorful coriander seed is also an excellent edema remedy.
How to use?
- Add three tablespoons of coriander seeds to water
- Boil them until the water gets reduced to half of its quantity
- Let it cool
- Strain the liquid and consume immediately
- Do the same two times a day for best results
Benefits of coriander seeds:
Coriander seeds are abundant in potassium. They reduce the inflammation of the affected area and reduces the effects of edema on the legs by reducing the swelling of the legs.
If you are allergic to coriander seeds, do not go for this remedy. You can open for crushed flaxseeds.
Studies have shown that these foods help in the reduction of fluid present in the edema and eventually speed up the healing process.
- Consume green tea
- Add vitamin-rich foods to your diet including fruits and vegetables
- Consume cranberry juice
Foods to avoid
For faster recovery, do the following
- Cut back on dairy products
- Avoid sweetened products and processed foods
2. How to cure edema in feet with herbal treatment?
Use green tea for foot edema
One amongst the great uses of green tea is its ability to treat edema.
How to use?
- Add one teaspoon of green tea extract in hot water
- Bring it to a boil
- Strain in a cup and add honey to enhance the flavor
- You can also add lemon juice
- Consume the same three times a day
Benefits of green tea:
The diuretic and stimulating properties of green tea help in getting rid of the extra fluids in the body and in turn help in treating edema.
Green tea has caffeine content. Do not over consume the beverage.
Use olive leaf extract to get rid of lower leg edema
Olive leaf extracts get counted amongst the best herbal treatment remedy for edema.
How to use?
- Get yourself olive leaf extract capsules of 500 mg
- Include these capsules in your diet daily
- Ensure that you consume one pill each day
Benefits of olive leaf extract:
Olive leaf extract has bioactive compounds. These compounds have anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants which have proven results of reducing edema inflammation.
Make sure to consult your doctor to set your dosage of the same.
3. How to reduce facial edema with essential oil?
Use tea tree essential oil for natural edema treatment
The versatile uses of tea tree oil also account for edema treatment naturally.
How to use?
- Pour a few drops of tea tree essential oil on a cotton swab
- Apply the same on the swollen area
- Let it stay for as long as you can
- Repeat the same two times a day
Benefits of tea tree essential oil:
The anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties of tea tree essential oil help in treating the pain and swelling which comes in a package with edema. If you want to learn how to treat edema with tea tree essential oil, then read on!
If you have sensitive skin, make sure you dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil. Take a patch test at the back of your hand before applying it on your face or other body parts.
Other Essential Oils for Edema:
- Lavender essential oil
- Juniper berry essential oil
- Roma chamomile essential oil
- Geranium essential oil
- Fennel essential oil
4. How to get rid of ankle edema with a home remedy?
Use apple cider vinegar for edema
Wondering how to treat edema with apple cider vinegar? Well, it does as apple cider vinegar has high potassium content and anti-inflammatory properties.
How to use?
- Mix apple cider vinegar in water in a pedicure foot tub
- Make sure the water is warm
- Soak your feet in the water and apple cider vinegar solution
- Continue to do so for another half an hour
- Remove the tub and at your ankles dry with a soft and clean towel
- Repeat the same once each day for best results
Benefits of apple cider vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar helps in reducing the retention of fluid in the body and reduces the inflammation and pain of the swollen skin of the ankles.
Make sure you do not expose the area with open cuts and wounds to apple cider vinegar. Always dilute apple cider vinegar before application.
5. How to treat eyelid edema with natural treatment?
Use Epsom salt for eye edema
Epsom salt is also called magnesium sulfate.
How to use?
- Mix Epsom salt in a warm water bathtub
- Soak yourself in the water for about twenty minutes
- Remove the tub and pat yourself dry
Benefits of Epsom salt:
Epsom salt has anti-inflammatory properties which reduce inflammation, pain, and swelling of the affected area. It is one of the best natural remedies to treat edema.
Make sure the water is warm and not boiling. Soak yourself for not more than twenty minutes as it may cause excessive dryness of the body. Make sure you moisturize after bathing with Epsom salt water.
Use hot and cold compress for edema
Hot and cold compress get counted as the first-aid remedies for curing edema.
How to use?
- Soak a clean towel in water and wrap it around the affected area
- Let it stay for around five minutes
- Unwrap it and soak it again
- Repeat the process for relief
- The same goes for cold water compress
- You can use ice cube bag for a cold compress
- Do the same two times a day for fast results
Benefits of hot and cold compress:
On the application of a warm compress, blood flow in the affected area increases. It tends to reduce the inflammation and swelling of the affected area. With a cold compress, the swollen area becomes numb which acts on reducing the pain and swelling of the affected area.
Make sure the temperature of the water is suitable according to your body. Do not use boiling water but warm water only.
6. How to treat edema with supplements?
Use vitamins to reduce edema
You can use over the counter vitamin supplements to treat edema.
How to use?
- Include a multivitamin table of vitamin A, E, or C.
- You can also go for B-complex vitamins
- Trace minerals like calcium, zinc, selenium, and magnesium also help.
- Include these in your diet and consume one capsule each day.
Benefits of vitamin supplements:
Most of the vitamins minimize the retention of water in the body and act is as an excellent anti-inflammatory agent. They cut the symptoms that come with edema.
Make sure you consult your doctor to set the accurate dosage according to your body.
Other than these natural remedies, there are few more home remedies to look forward if you want to know how to treat edema.
Other Home Remedies for Edema
- Consume grape seed extract and celery seed extract supplements in your daily diet
- Apply the blend of juniper and olive oil
- Consume pineapple juice regularly
- Consuming turmeric also helps
- You can also go for massage therapies and aromatherapy session with steam and essential oils for better results
- Switch to herbal teas like parsley tea, dandelion tea, nettle tea, ginger root tea, green tea, etc.
- Massage the affected area with castor oil and oregano oil
- Consume two glasses of tart cherry juice daily. Make sure the juice is unsweetened
- Do not sit or stand in the same place for long hours as it is one of the significant causes of edema
Edema is a common condition. However, the swelling and pain which comes with edema may be variant for different people. Maintain a follow up with these natural remedies on a regular basis and get ready to blow edema away permanently.
With these quick natural remedies, you can quickly reduce the effect of edema on your body and get rid of it. If the results do not begin to slow down with these natural remedies, you might want to see a doctor.