It might look scary but let’s break it down into simpler points to drop the intimidating aspect of a swollen hand. Swelling is quite frustrating and if not dealt carefully can lead to a lot of problems that are likely to stay with you for a while.
An injury that causes swelling or deformity may require medical attention. But don’t you start worrying. Swelling resulting from less serious injuries or even from long-term conditions like arthritis can be usually treated at home with some easy remedies. Read on to find out more about how to reduce swelling in the hands and fingers at home.
Remedies to Reduce Swelling in Hands
Why are my fingers swollen?
Swollen hands might be a sign that there has been a buildup of fluids or inflammation in joints or the tissues of the hand. Swollen fingers can also be a result of injuries or from common medical conditions such as edema.
What causes swelling in hands and feet?
- Warmth in that affected area
- Swollen joint
- Swollen finger joint
- Fluid retention
Why do my hands swell when I walk?
Prolonged suspension of the arms causes the swelling of hands while walking due to stagnation in the healthy circulation of blood.
Symptoms Of Swollen Hands And Fingers
Swollen hands and fingers get associated with the following symptoms.
- High blood pressure
- Headaches and dizziness
- Kidney problems
- Swelling in the feet
- Puffiness of eyes
- Gain in body weight
Top 5 Home Remedies To Reduce Swelling In Hands
1. Foods That Reduce Swelling In Fingers And Hands
How to treat swollen hands and feet by using ginger and turmeric?
The best way of how to get rid of swollen hands and feet is by the topical application of ginger and turmeric paste.
How to use?
- Grate an inch of ginger and extract its juice
- Add a tablespoon each of powdered turmeric and water to the grated ginger to make a paste
- Heat the paste until its comfortably warm
- Smear your hands and feet with the warm ginger and turmeric paste
- Do this twice or thrice a day for the natural treatment of swollen hands and feet
Benefits of using ginger
The turmeric promotes the drainage of the fluids that accumulate in the inter-cellular spaces and tissues and causes the swelling and inflammation. The diuretic nature of ginger is highly beneficial for the elimination of the tissue fluid and cure of edema. Massaging with the paste helps in the dilution of sodium which aids in the alleviation of swelling. The anti-inflammatory properties of ginger help to cure inflammation and pain of the swollen hands and feet.
Make sure that the paste is not too hot otherwise, your skin will get scalded.
Foods to eat
Incorporate the following foods into your diet for how to reduce swelling in knee, feet, and legs.
- Seeds and nuts
- Olive oil
- Lean chicken
- Green tea
Foods to avoid
Avoid the following foods for the natural treatment of how to reduce swelling in knee, feet, and legs.
- Canned food
- Junk food
- Processed food
- White bread
- Common salt
- Processed meat
- Oily foods
- Foods high in sodium
2. Herbal Remedies That Reduce Swelling In Hands
How To Cure Swollen Knuckles And Swollen Hands In The Morning By Using Fresh Parsley?
Drinking parsley infusion on a daily basis is highly beneficial for the natural cure of swollen hands in the morning, swollen knuckles, and swollen fingertips in the morning.
How to use?
- Add one tablespoon of fresh and dried parsley to a cup of water
- Put the water on boil until the parsley gets thoroughly infused
- Let the infusion simmer down for about 5-7 minutes
- Add a teaspoon of honey to the parsley tea to sweeten its taste
- Drink the parsley tea twice a day for how to reduce swelling in hands and fingers in the morning
Benefits of using parsley
The diuretic properties of parsley help in the drainage and dissipation of the accumulated tissue fluids. It also helps in the regulation of electrolytes in blood and protects the joints and knuckles from the retention of excessive water.
Do not drink parsley tea if it adversely affects your gastrointestinal tract.
3. How Essential Oils Reduce Swelling In Feet?
How To Treat Swollen Infected Finger Along With Joints By Using Tea Tree Essential Oil?
The application of diluted tea tree essential oil is one of the most effective methods of how to reduce swelling in hands, inflamed swollen finger joint, and swollen right hand.
How to use?
- Add 12-14 drops of tea tree essential oil to a tablespoon of olive oil to make an oil mixture
- Massage your swollen and infected hands, fingers, and joints with the oil mixture before going to bed at night
- Let the oil mixture seep in through your skin to work on the accumulated fluids
Benefits of using tea tree essential oil
Tea tree essential oil is incredibly useful for the natural treatment of inflammation and infection of swollen hands and fingers. Rubbing the swollen areas with diluted tea tree essential oil helps in the draining out of the tissue fluid that accumulates to trigger the swelling and redness of the affected area.
Rubbing the diluted tea tree essential oil helps in the alleviation of pain and swelling overnight. Its anti-inflammatory nature is incredibly effective for the natural cure of pain, inflammation, swelling, and redness of the affected area. You can also apply diluted tea tree essential oil on the swollen fingertip for how to reduce swelling in hands and fingers.
Conduct a patch test by applying the tea tree essential oil to an unaffected area of skin to test the sensitivity of skin to it.
4. Home Remedies That Reduce Swelling In Feet
How to use apple cider vinegar for the cure of swollen fingers in the morning?
The use of apple cider vinegar is incredibly effective for the natural treatment of swollen fingers in the morning.
How to use?
- Mix a cup of apple cider vinegar with a cup of warm water to prepare a solution
- Soak a clean cloth in the solution
- Wrap the swollen fingers and hands with the soaked and warmed cloth
- Keep the affected areas wrapped until the cloth turns cold
- Do this twice daily for the swelling to subside
Benefits of using apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in potassium which is an electrolyte that aids in the regulation of fluid retention in the body. Drinking apple cider vinegar stimulates the kidney to flush out toxins at an accelerated rate and thereby keep the blood cleansed and free of impurities. Wrapping the areas with the cloth soaked in diluted apple cider vinegar helps in the alleviation of swelling, pain, inflammation, and redness of hands, joints, knuckles, and fingers.
Do not apply raw apple cider vinegar to the skin as that may cause blisters.
5. Natural Treatments For Decreasing The Swelling Of Feet
How To Get Rid Of Swollen Hands By Applying Ice Pack Therapy?
The ice pack therapy of treatment is a simple way of the cure of swollen hands and swollen fingers.
How to use?
- Wrap a few ice cubes in a clean cloth
- Apply the ice pack to the swollen hands and fingers with gentle pressure
- Do this in every alternate hour for the alleviation of swelling and pain in the hands and fingers
Benefits of ice pack treatment
Applying an ice pack to the affected area reduces the swelling and pain. Ice pack helps in the alleviation of fluid retention, swelling, pain, and inflammation of the hands. The application of ice incredibly effective during an emergency and have healing effects on cases that are a chronic or long term.
The ice pack if used for longer times may be harmful to your skin or may further irritate that area. So, be sure to wrap it around a towel or any cloth before applying it to the affected area. The interval at which you need to apply these are 20 minutes at a time, but you should stop if it irritates your skin.
How To Treat Swollen Hands With Regular Exercise?
It is highly recommended to exercise for the cure of swollen hands and swollen fingers.
How to use?
- Move your fingers and wrists in circular motions
- Contract and relax your muscles
- Do this twice daily for the alleviation of swelling in the hands and fingers
Benefits of contrasting hydrotherapy treatment
Exercises that involve stretching and strength training help to move the muscle of your wrists and hands which stimulates the flow of fluid and blood from your heart. You can also massage your hands at regular intervals by experts which often slows down the swelling effectively.
The home remedies are remarkably effective for the natural treatment of how to reduce swelling hands and fingers. They do not have any toxic side effects, unlike chemical medicines and drugs which only cause stomach ulcers and digestive poisoning. However, if the swelling persists for long, or gets aggravated with time, then consult a physician immediately.