It could happen in a science lab for you, or for someone you know at home! A chemical burn can happen to anyone and anywhere where chemicals surround them or unknowingly overexpose themselves to chemical products due to lack of knowledge or not following the instructions that the products say.
Chemical burns are not hazardous to health; however, they irritate and sometimes get extremely painful. If not treated on time, chemical urns may also leave behind marks. Thus, here a few remedies to get rid of them naturally.
Read on to find out how to treat chemical burns naturally.
What are chemical burns?
Chemical burns occur when your eyes or skin come in contact with an irritant such as a base or an acid. They are also called caustic burns. They may react to your body. If swallowed or ingested, chemicals can also cause damage to your internal organs. Take immediate action if you come in contact with a chemical to treat it eventually.
What causes chemical burns?
Bases and acids usually cause chemical burns. Burns can happen to children in school in labs and for adults at the workplace or sometimes even at home when they come in contact with chemical fluids which may accidentally spill on them causing chemical burns.
What are the symptoms of a chemical burn?
Have you been wondering what does a chemical burn look like? Well, some of the chemical burn symptoms include:
- Swelling, inflammation, redness, or instant dark patch
- Numbness or pain at the affected area
- Irritation, burning, and redness
- Formation of black dead skin cells and blisters
- Shortness of breath and cough
- Changes in vision if contact made with eyes
- Vomiting or nausea
The affected area may have pain and develop an infection as well if not treated.If you want to know how to treat chemical burns, then scroll down to discover remedies which provide treatment at home from the chemical rash.
How to treat chemical burns?
1. Heal Chemical Burn on the face with foods
- Use honey to get rid of chemical burn on hands
Honey is an excellent soothing agent and an incredible sterilizer for chemical burns.
[Read: Benefits of Honey]
How to use?
- After washing the burn with cold water, pour honey on the affected area
- Make sure the layer of honey is thick and covers the entire area an even the surroundings
- Wrap it with a dressing or a clean gauze
- Let it stay for as long as possi
Benefits of using honey
It has antibacterial properties and prevents the chemical burn to get infected. It has anti-inflammatory properties which reduce the inflammation due to the injury and ease out the pain on the burnt skin.
Foods to eat
Eat a healthy and balanced diet to help your body produce new skin cells at a faster rate for better recovery.
- Dairy foods
Foods to avoid
These foods have decidedly less nutritive values and can hamper the skin growth.
- White bread
- Processed snacks
2. How to cure chemical burn from hair dye with herbal treatment?
- Use freshly scooped Aloe Vera Gel to treat chemical burn from bleach
Aloe Vera Gel is an incredible cooling agent and reduces the inflammation on the skin of the affected area.
How to use Aloe Vera Gel for chemical peel burn?
- Scoop out fresh Aloe Vera Gel from the leaves of the plant
- Apply it on the affected area of the body
- Do not massage it harshly
- Us soft hands to spread the gel on the entire affected area
- Let it stay for as long as possible
- Continue to do so as many times as you can
Benefits of aloe vera gel
It has antibacterial compounds to defend the burn against infections. It instantly reliefs the burning sensation in the injury and alleviates the temperature of the affected area of the skin.
Make sure you use freshly scooped gel and not chemically processed gel.
3. How to get rid of chemical burns from deodorant with essential oil?
- Chamomile essential is an effective remedy to treat old spice chemical burns
Chamomile essential oil is the right choice if you are searching for how to treat chemical burns. It has properties similar to Aloe Vera Gel.
How to use?
- Add a few drops of chamomile essential oil to carrier oil
- Apply the oil blend to the affected area and the surrounding areas as well
- Let it stay for about fifteen minutes
- Wash off with cold water
Benefits of Chamomile essential oil
It is an excellent wound healer and skin repairer. It has rejuvenating, moisturizing, and emollient properties which nourish the skin and help in getting rid of the appearance of the burns.
Always dilute the essential oil before using. Take a patch test at the back of your hand to check itching and irritation level on the skin. If the oil stings or increases the burning sensation, wash off immediately. Do not use essential oils for severe burns.
[Read: How to Treat a Burn]
4. How to remove chemical burns on the scalp with a home remedy?
- Use toothpaste for treating lime chemical burns
Do you know how to treat chemical burns with toothpaste? Toothpaste is an incredible healer of chemical burns and will help you if you want to know how to get rid of chemical burns.
How to use?
- Use a normal toothpaste.
- Apply it all over the affected area of the body and also the surrounding areas
- It may give a cooling sensation to the area with burns
- Let it stay until it cools down the wound
- Wash off with cold wat
- Repeat the same two times a day until it gets healed
Benefits of using toothpaste
Toothpaste provides a cooling sensation to the chemical burns and reduces the inflammation of the affected area. They have antibacterial compounds which reduce the chemical burns getting infected.
Do not use toothpaste in areas with open cuts or wounds. Do not use toothpaste on severe burns. Take a patch test with the toothpaste and then only continue use. If it makes the sensation worse, wash off immediately.
5. How to treat chemical burns with natural treatment?
- Use an ice compress to get rid of chemical burns
An ice compress is very beneficial as ice cools down the temperature of the burnt area and makes the burning to cool down. If you are looking for how to treat chemical burns, this is the right way.
How to use?
- You can apply ice directly on your skin
- If direct application feels freezing, make a medium of thin and clean cloth to form a compress
- Keep compressing the affected area for relief
Benefits of an ice compress
It increases the blood circulation of the area which helps in the reduction of dead skin cells on the affected area and thus, reduces the visibility of burn marks. It also reduces the chance of bacterial growth on the skin by lowering the temperature of the affected area of the body.
Other than these remedies as mentioned above, there are a few more home remedies to get rid of chemical burns. Other Home Remedies for Treating Chemical Burns
- Keep the burnt area away from the exposure of the
- Keep the burnt area clea
- If the pain gets severe, get over the counter pain medication
- An egg white mas helps for getting rid of chemical burn
- Avoid touching the burnt area to reduce the chances of infection
- Apply an oatmeal paste with cold water on the affected area to reduce the burning sensation of the affected area of the skin
[ Read: How to Treat Burns? ]
Other than the above said precautions to take while going forward with chemical burn natural remedies, it is essential to take note of other general precautions to take:
Few Other Precautions to Take Note of
- Take a patch test before applying anything on your body
- Do not use essential oils without consulting your color
- The first thing you do when you encounter a chemical burn is to wash off with cold water Do not touch any other area of your body with the area that has been affected
- Make sure you always cover your eyes and all the other potential exposed body parts while using chemicals or working in places which may have chemical substances around
- Make sure you do not use expiry products
- While using bleach or old spices, make sure not to get the product in contact with eyes and face as these are some of the most sensitive areas of your bod
- In case of a severe burn, contact medical care and take emergency measures.
Chemical burns can be minor and sever. If the chemical burns are severe, consult your color immediately, instead of going for natural remedies. However, for a small chemical burn, before going for medications and waiting to ask your doctor, go for these natural remedies for how to treat chemical burns ends here.