Facial swelling is fairly a common occurrence and can happen due to several reasons including an injury or trauma, medication side effects, allergies, infections or any other medical conditions. There are many swollen face causes apart from these and hence, the methods for how to heal a swollen face also differ according to the causes.
Also, the whole face can be swollen; or a part of the face may be swollen, like eyes or cheek etc. the methods to treat also vary according to the area that is swollen.
However, the good part is that there are several natural ways to guide you on how to reduce swelling in face. This article will show you the top 5 natural methods put together for how to fix a swollen face. Let us see the different parts of the face that can get swollen and the treatments for the same.
Swollen face and eyes
There are several reasons due to which a face can get swollen. Swollen eye causes may be different or similar to the swollen face causes. Let us see how and also take a look at how to get rid of swollen face and eyes.
- Swollen face in the morning
Many people wake up to a swollen or a puffed-up face. it is a fairly common occurrence. There are many causes for this, like excessive salt intake the previous day, excessive alcohol consumption, dehydration, allergies, dust, hormonal changes etc. to name a few.
The puffy swollen eye is a common symptom due to excessive alcohol consumption the previous night and also due to an injury to the eye.
- Swollen face-one side
The swollen face on one side can be due to minor reasons like an allergy or major reasons like some injury or other underlying medical conditions.
- Swollen face from sunburn
Getting a sunburn can result in a red skin that hurts. If the sunburn is too bad, it may even result in a swelling and even blisters. After a few days, the skin starts to peel off and there is an itching all over. Swollen face from sunburn can be painful and a bit difficult to heal.
- A toothache swollen face
A toothache swollen face is also a common occurrence. The infection of a tooth can lead to a swollen cheek and also a swollen jaw.
Swollen face allergy and swollen eye causes
Swollen face(1) allergy is very common as a result of side-effects of certain drugs. This allergy can also cause a puffy swollen eye and sometimes a red swollen eye. Sometimes, there are other conditions occurring like a sinus infection swollen eye or there can be a swollen eye and headache.
A sinus infection can also lead to a swollen nose, or even a facial injury can result in the same. A sinus infection can also cause swollen face-one side and usually, the side affected by the sinus infection is seen to be swollen.
A new-born swollen eye is another condition seen in new babies, which is mostly due to a nasolacrimal obstruction. This condition is also commonly known as tear duct blockage. This infection if increased can also lead to swollen eye-lid.
Swollen eye gland is yet another condition, wherein an eye gland like a Meibomian gland can get swollen up. In case a mosquito bites on an eyelid, it can result in a mosquito bite swollen eye. Read on further to get an idea on how to treat a swollen eye.
How to Reduce Swelling in Face with Top 5 Natural Ways
The good news is that, though there are so many reasons for a swelling to be occurring in the face, there are also many natural ways to get rid of the swelling. Let us see how to get rid of swollen face and eyes with these all-natural ways and home remedies.
CURE 1: Foods
Foods can help you get rid of puffy swollen eyes and a swollen face. Here is how.
An excellent remedy for puffy swollen eyes and red swollen eyes.
How to use
- Just cut up a few slices of chilled cucumber and let sit on your puffy or red eyes for about 10-15 min
- This reduces the puffiness and swelling of the eyes significantly
One of the reasons for puffy eyes and swollen face can be constipation. Adding oats to your regular diet can help you get rid of constipation thus reducing the swelling.
How to use
- Just have oats in the morning as a breakfast cereal and see it do its work on your swollen face and eyes
CURE 2: Herbal Remedies
Herbal remedies can do wonders when it comes to treating swollen face. Here is how.
Known as a golden spice, turmeric does wonders when it comes to reducing the swelling in your face or eyes.
How to use
- Boil some water
- In a cup, add ¼ tsp of turmeric powder and pour boiling water over it. Let it sit and get infused for 5 min or so
- Drink the infusion as it is or strain and have it
- A little honey can be added if desired
- Drink this infusion twice or thrice a day for better results
(Safety measure- make sure that the infusion has come to a lukewarm state before adding any honey, as heat changes the properties of honey and can make it harmful for your health).
Ginger and holy basil
Ginger and holy basil both have amazing anti-inflammatory properties. Combine these two to make a great remedy on the swollen face and puffy eyes.
How to use
- Bring some water to boil
- In a cup add a ¼ inch piece of grated or crushed ginger
- To that, add 4-5 leaves of holy basil or Tulsi
- Pour boiling water over it and let it sit and get infused for about 7-8 min
- Drink this infusion twice or thrice a day to get better results
- Some honey can be added if desired, with a precaution of not adding honey to hot or warm infusion. Let it get lukewarm or cool before adding honey
- For added benefits, the turmeric infusion remedy and ginger-holy basil infusion remedy can be combined to make a single infusion with or without honey
CURE 3: Essential Oils
Essential oils do wonders when used for treating swelling in face or eyes. Here is how.
Lavender essential oil
Lavender essential oil possesses amazing anti-inflammatory properties.
How to use
- Just add a few drops of lavender essential oil to your bath water and enjoy a relaxing bath. It will help in reducing inflammation all over
- Just wipe your face with a towel soaked in this water and watch its amazing action on your swollen face
Roman chamomile oil
This has excellent anti-inflammatory properties too. Here is how to get rid of swollen eye and headache using roman chamomile oil.
How to use
- Add a few drops of Roman chamomile oil to a mug of water
- Soak a cloth strip in this water and squeeze the excess water out
- Apply this wet soak on your forehead and close your eyes and relax
- Its effect will take care of the swollen eye and headache both at the same time
- Can be repeated twice a day for better results
CURE 4: Home Remedies
Swollen face from tooth infection can be cured with many home remedies. Some of them are listed below. A visit to a dentist is a must, but these methods can provide you with temporary relief until you can reach a dentist.
For a swollen face from a tooth infection, compression with an ice pack can be effective.
How to use
- Just hold an ice pack against your skin and apply a little light pressure to ease the pain
- This will give you relief from a swollen cheek and swollen jaw for some time.
- Visit the dentist at the earliest
How to treat a swollen eye with home remedies
Home remedies can help get rid of a swollen eye. Read on to know how to treat a swollen eye and what to put on a swollen eye to get maximum relief.
- Soak a small towel in ice-cold water or wet a cloth and refrigerate it to make it ice cold
- Use this cloth as a compress against your eyes
- The coolness of the cloth will take care of the swelling
CURE 5: Natural Methods
Natural methods prove to be immensely effective in curing swelling in the face. Here is how.
Hydrotherapy is one of the best ways of curing ailments through natural methods.
How to use
- Drink lots of water and other fluids, so that the excess toxins and accumulated water can be flushed out of the body through urine
Precautions and side effects
Most of the above methods are well tolerated by people. However, some points need to be considered.
- Do not add honey to a hot liquid or food. It causes some changes in the composition of honey making it harmful for health
- People with kidney problems should consult their doctor before drinking large amounts of fluid, as a sudden change can further damage the kidneys
- Never prolong a visit to a dentist in case of a toothache. The remedies listed here are for urgent pain relief and should not be considered as a replacement for any medical treatment
Swelling in the face can be caused due to a number of reasons including injury, allergies, hormonal imbalances, medication side-effects, and other medical conditions. Also, the treatments and remedies are different for different swollen areas like swollen eyes, swollen cheeks, swollen jaws, and a whole swollen face.
However, the good news is that most of these swelling conditions are treatable with natural methods. The top 5 fantastic, all-natural methods listed above can guide you on how to reduce swelling in the face.