Epsom salt contains a high amount of magnesium and sulfate. It has a lot of minerals which are essential for our health (1). Epsom salt is an ingredient used as a soaking solution that helps in relieving muscle aches, minor sprain, bruises, soreness, and also in joint stiffness.
It can use as a treatment on the swollen part of the body. Epsom salt for swelling is mainly used for aches and swelling muscles. Epsom salt bathwater can soften rough, dry skin, and exfoliate dead skin cells.
The amount of magnesium in Epsom salt can enter the body through the skin, and it is sufficient to reduce swelling and relieve aches. Epsom salt for swelling is a beneficial and natural method that can be used easily to reduce swelling from the specific body part.
The most important effect of Epsom salt on bruises is the reduction of swelling in the affected area. Soaking in Epsom salt is touted as a way to decrease tissue swelling.
Swelling occurs when skin, organs, or any part of the body enlarge; it can occur internally. The reason for external swelling are insect bites, injuries, or illness, and it can be treated by Epsom salt.
The minerals in Epsom salt play an essential role in muscle and nerve functions and is known as inflammation. Epsom salt can’t be used as a drink because it may cause some severe side effects (2).
How Epsom salt helps in swelling and why does it work?
Epsom salt is bath salt that is made from distilled, mineral-packed water. When you add Epsom salt to the warm water, the magnesium and sulfate components in Epsom salt will start dissolving. As a result, this makes it easier for your skin to absorb. Now, these components will enhance magnesium in your body for better muscle functioning and reduction in swelling.
[Read: Epsom Salt for Sore Muscles]
How to use Epsom salt?
Epsom salt is beneficial in reducing the swelling in the body through a bath. Epsom salt for postpartum swelling can be easily done at home.
- Fill your bathtub with mild warm water. You’d need about 1/3 of a bathtub of water.
- Add two cups of Epsom salt to the warm water, and leave it until it is dissolved.
- Soak your body in the bathtub carefully and make sure the water is not too hot to tolerate.
- Keep your body in a filled bathtub patiently for about 12 to 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, come out from the bathtub and dry yourself with a soft towel.
- Make sure not to rub your skin while drying.
- In the end, apply a good body moisturizer or lotion.
Ensure that you don’t keep yourself in a bathtub for so long as it causes your stitches to dissolve rapidly. Also, this remedy can be done after 3-5 days of postpartum.
[Read: Epsom salt for Boils ]
Another remedy that is very commonly used by people is Epsom salt for swelling feet. Epsom salt foot bath for swelling is the shortest and easy method that can be done in half an hour.
- You need a clean bathtub or a bowl in which your feet can be dipped easily.
- Fill your bathtub with mild-warm water for about 2/4 in quantity.
- Now, you need a half a cup of Epsom salt.
- Add Epsom salt in the bathtub and steep out for four minutes before you get in.
- Now you can soak your feet in the bathtub for 20 to 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, you can remove your feet from water and dry them with a soft towel.
- After drying, apply some moisturizer on your feet and massage them with light hand.
Soaking feet in Epsom salt for swelling can make your skin dry and rough, specifically on feet. Make sure to moisturize your skin after an Epsom salt foot soak to prevent cracked skin and irritation.
[Read: Epsom Salt for Hair]
If you have never had an Epsom salt bath, consider testing a patch of skin with magnesium sulfate compound and water first. Adding an excessive amount of Epsom salt may cause irritation and allergies to your skin as it is a highly toxic element. In case of any irritation or itching on your skin, please visit your doctor for consultancy and ask him/her to guide you for further treatment and remedies.
Epsom salt is good for swelling and a pure ingredient given by nature, and it works effectively on the swollen part. Epsom salt also known as bath salts and is a mineral compound believed to have many health benefits.
An Epsom salt detox is a warm bath that helps improve the body’s natural detoxification process and promotes healing the swelling. Soaking your feet in Epsom salt bath might help soothe blisters. Epsom salt is free from artificial compounds and their side effects. The remedy of Epsom salt is easy to use, making it viable for people.
[Also Read: Home Remedies To Reduce Swelling in Feet ]
1. Is Epsom Salt Ordinary Salt?
No, Epsom salt is different from table salt. Epsom salt is made up of magnesium, sulfur, and oxygen, whereas ordinary salt is made up of two elements those are sodium and chlorine.
2. Do I Need to Buy an Epsom Salt from a Reputable Source?
Yes, be sure to buy a hundred percent magnesium sulfate from a healthy supermarket or whole food market.
3. Can I Take an Epsom Salt Bath, If I Have Sensitive Skin?
No, before taking a bath, please consult with your doctor first to be safe.