Are you watching another advertisement for a moisturizing shampoo? Have you tried all the products but nothing served your purpose? Don’t worry as the world doesn’t end here so that you move on to expensive parlor treatments! Instead, practice some terrific home remedies listed right here.
What is dry scalp disease?
Dry scalp disease is a dermatological disorder that is characterized by the development of rough and itchy patches all over the scalp. The scalp becomes flaky and dry covered with thick and crusty sores that tend to be insanely itchy.
Dry scalp disease results in weakening of hair follicles and consequent shedding of hair. If you are wondering on how to get rid of dry scalp, then follow through with the different home remedies elucidated right here that will cure the dryness of scalp in no time.
What causes dry scalp?
It is essential to know about the causes of the dry scalp to get to the bottom of how to get rid of dry scalp. Dry scalp disease(1) affects almost 70% of the population of the world. It is a widespread dermatological issue that varies from mild dryness of scalp to severe scalp psoriasis. However, there is no specific cause of dryness of the scalp.
A few general causes of dry scalp include:
- Low humidity of weather
- An injury caused to the scalp resulting in cuts and bruises
- Excessive use of hair cosmetics like hair dyes, shampoos, etc.
- Overexposure of the head to the UV rays of the Sun
- Infection and inflammation of the scalp and more
What are the symptoms of the dry scalp?
The symptoms of the dry, itchy scalp are as follows.
- Peeling of the scalp, dry blisters, and reddish bumps
- Terrible itchy sensations
- Slight bleeding from the blisters from excessive scratching
- Loss of hair
- Flaky appearance on the neck and behind the ears etc.
5 Fantastic Home Remedies on How to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
The only way to counteract dryness of the skin is with effective moisturization. The same principle can g applied for the natural treatment of dry, flaky scalp. So, what to do for dry scalp? Enlisted below are five incredible natural remedies that can be administered for soothing and curing the dry, scaly scalp.
1. How to treat dry scalp with the help of foods?
How to use bananas for baby dry scalp?
This remedy is especially useful for how to fix dry scalp of babies. It can also cure dandruff and soothe the itchiness of dry, flaky scalp. Needless to say that bananas are readily available and you can purchase it at the local grocery store.
How to use?
- Mash an average-sized banana into a fine pulp
- Blend a few teaspoons of olive oil with the pulp to make a paste
- Apply the paste with gentle massaging to your dry and blistering scalp
- Wear a shower cap and let the mixture sit for about an hour or so
- Rinse your hair with a mild shampoo
- Do this on every alternate day for a few weeks until the blisters fade away
Benefits of bananas
The powerful antimicrobial nature of bananas(2) can prevent bacterial action and lice infestation of the scalp. The application of mashed bananas to the scalp is incredibly moisturizing and nourishing.
How to fix toddlers dry scalp with yogurt?
Yogurt is one of the most effective home remedies for the cure of dry, itchy scalp and hair fall problems. This remedy is especially useful for curing dryness scalp of toddlers. If you are wondering on how to treat your peeling scalp, then try a tablespoon of fresh and cooling yogurt.
Yogurt is readily available at local confectionery and grocery stores. You can also prepare it at home by using lemon juice and milk.
How to use?
- Take a few tablespoons of plain yogurt in a dish and add a few drops of coconut oil to it
- Mix the contents until the oil gets wholly dissolved in the yogurt
- Smear the scalp with the mixture and let it sit for about a few hours
- Rinse your hair with a herbal shampoo
- Do this daily until the blisters go away.
Benefits of yogurt
The application of yogurt is quite soothing for the itchy scalp. Nourish your scalp, hydrate the skin, protect it against inflammation and bacterial infection and heal the blisters with a regular dose of plain, unsweetened and slightly cooled yogurt.
[Read: Itchy Scalp Remedies]
2. How to get rid of the dry scalp with herbal treatment?
How to use aloe vera gel for dry scalp?
Wondering how to get rid of dry scalp with aloe vera gel? The soothing nature of cooling aloe vera gel is exceedingly beneficial for the treatment of the terrible itchy sensations of the dry, flaky scalp.
You can purchase packaged aloe vera gel from the online markets or buy a leaf or two from the grocery store.
How to use?
- Take a fresh aloe vera leaf and slit its sides to extract its gel
- Apply the gel with gentle massaging to your dry, itchy scalp and roots of hair
- Let the gel sit for about a couple of hours
- Rinse your hair with cooled water
- Do this on a regular basis for the flakiness to disappear
Benefits of aloe vera gel
Aloe vera gel is anti-inflammatory. Topical application of aloe vera gel on the scalp can cure the scalp dryness, inflammation, and irritation. It also helps to keep the scalp hydrated and soft.
Aloe vera gel is one of the safest remedies amongst others. However, it is advisable to use fresh gel extracted from the leaf as over the counter products may contain preservatives.
3. How to get rid of the dry scalp with essential oils?
How to use tea tree essential oil for severe dry scalp?
Tea tree essential oil is one of the most effective essential oils for dry scalp. Tea tree essential oil when diluted with a carrier oil can get treated as a panacea for all kinds of dermatological disorders, including scalp psoriasis which is nothing but the severe dryness of scalp.
Tea tree essential oil can get purchased from local drug stores. You can also buy it from online markets. For the rinsing part of the remedy, use herbal shampoos that contain tea tree essential oil for the best use of this remedy.
How to use?
- Add two teaspoons of tea tree essential oil to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and mix well
- Apply the oil mixture to your dry, flaky scalp with gentle massaging for about 15-20 minutes
- Rinse your hair with tea tree oil shampoo after about 2-3 hours of letting the oil seep into the epidermis
- Do this on a daily basis until the dryness of scalp gets cured
Benefits of tea tree oil
It possesses powerful antibiotic, antifungal and antiseptic properties that work in unison to fight against flaky blisters, loss of hair and itchiness of dry scalp. You can even use it for the natural treatment of dandruff, lice and other scalp diseases.
Essential oils are subjected to the sensitivity of the skin when used topically. Therefore it is better to take a patch test before you use any essential oil. Also, dilute it with a carrier oil for application.
4. How to fix dry scalp with home remedies?
How to use coconut oil for dry scalp?
Administration of coconut oil is one of the best thing for dry scalp and hair loss. It is one of the most effective and ancient home remedies for how to get rid of dry scalp and almost every dermatological disorder.
How to use?
- Take a few tablespoons of coconut oil and heat it for a few seconds until it feels moderately warm to touch
- Apply the heated coconut oil to your extremely dry scalp with gentle massaging
- Apply at the roots of the hair
- Massage the scalp for about 10-15 minutes
- Let the oil percolate into the epidermis
- Do this every day until the dry scalp sores disappear
Benefits of Coconut oil
Coconut oil helps in the natural hydration of the scalp. Its antibacterial and antifungal nature can heal the inflammation of the scalp in no time. Coconut oil is especially beneficial for how to fix atopic dermatitis. Besides, it is readily available at any local supermarket, grocery store or online forums.
5. How to get rid of the dry scalp with natural treatments?
How to use egg whites for kids dry scalp?
Eggs not only make a sumptuous breakfast for kids but can also cure their dryness of scalp(3) in no time at all. If your kid is suffering from dryness of scalp, then all that you need is an egg to heal the peeling scalp and make it soft and supple.
Eggs are readily available at the local grocery.
How to use?
- Crack an egg and extract its contents.
- Scoop out the yolk and keep the white albumin intact.
- Apply the albumin to your scalp with gentle massaging.
- Wear a shower cap and let the egg whites seep into the deeper layers of your scalp
- Rinse your head with a scented shampoo after about an hour.
- Do this on every alternate until the flakiness gets cured.
Benefits of egg whites
The rich nutritional composition help in nourishing the scalp. It also helps in hydration and healing of the dry sores and blisters.
Dandruff vs. Dry scalp
A typical flaky and itchy scalp characterizes both dandruff and dry scalp disease. The difference lies in the cause. Dandruff occurs by the excess secretion of sebum from the scalp that causes the clumping of scalp cells into thick and dry flakes. In case of dry scalp disease, the primary cause is a shortage of proper hydration which results in peeling off of the scalp and appearance of flaky blisters.
Dryness of scalp can be irritating and lead to balding as well if not treated in time. The natural remedies are simple to prepare and even more straightforward to implement. Follow through with the home remedies for how to get rid of dry scalp and maintain a good and balanced diet to cure and protect your scalp.